Eskimos vs. Lions June 24, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

randymeeks wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:10 pm
How in the world does Zylstra get that wide open when someone back in junior varsity could tell the Eskimos would go deep in the last minute? Absolute garbage.
Totally inexcusable. Was Mark Washington having Elimimian dropping back to play safety ?
CardiacKid
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 pm
On the positive side (need to cheer myself up):
-JJ24 was solid and probably could have had more touches to help out the OLine;
-Marco Ianuzzi was solid and caught everything thrown his way
-Nick Moore played like I expected Manny and Burnham to play.
-I thought the run defence was pretty good aside from that one big gain by White.

Looking for the half-full glass
Forgot to mention but right at this moment in time, we are currently in a playoff position! :dizzy:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The Zylstra bomb summed up the evening. Riley had the time to make a throw Jennings didn't have for much of the game. Then your 2nd year national corner is badly exposed with no help from the guy who wa supposed to make a difference at safety but was invisible all night.

Esks played 2 safeties and dropped 8 into coverage a lot thanks to great 4 man pressure. Conversely, Lions get little pressure from their dline which is status quo from a year ago except for Evans/Shirley replacing Bazzie.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:08 pm
randymeeks wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:10 pm
How in the world does Zylstra get that wide open when someone back in junior varsity could tell the Eskimos would go deep in the last minute? Absolute garbage.
Totally inexcusable. Was Mark Washington having Elimimian dropping back to play safety ?
Reminded me of Stegall beating the Esks all those years ago. I wonder if this moment will be remembered years from now?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 pm
Definitely some growing pains in this one.

Poor kicking really cost us.

Was this Thompson's first start? I'm sure he showed better in practice than tonight.

Lots of variety in offensive play calling. We took what they gave us for the most part.

Were defensive breakdowns due to coaching or tentativeness and mistakes from guys playing their first games in new positions? Something to build on or just a mistake?

OL provided good run support. Willis showed his worth tonight for the Esks.

For all the hype about the great D linemen brought in to camp this year, I was surprised to see Turner and Roh back in their old spots. Not a lot of pressure compared to what Willis and the Esks brought.
This is where Wally has to step up and make a decision. Purifoy is playing his first game at safety after taking no reps there to my knowledge in training camp and preseason. Thompson is playing his first regular season game at corner after being moved there late in camp. Wally has to decide whether to accept the growing pains as he did with Dante Marsh in 2004, with excellent results, or make the switch to Steven Clarke at safety and Keynan Parker at corner, as he had initially planned. I would make the switch and give the next game to the players with more experience, and who both showed the aggressiveness that this defence needs when the ball is in the air. If Wally wants to win now and hold players accountable for poor play, it's an easy move to make.
Ravi
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:13 pm
I will be interested in the attendance....it's not looking great. I hope Braley chimes in, we need to hear more from him.
Someone on Twitter mentioned 19,175. Braley needs to sell this team NOW.
David
Team Captain

Not going to happen. I don't let myself get worked up about it, because I know he's just going to keep saying the same things over and over: "I could sell next month, I could sell a year from now"....."it has to be the right situation for me to sell"....."I need to ensure that it's going to be passed along to someone who understands the game and has a passion for this team"....."I am going to sell sooner or later, I know I can't hold onto this team forever....."there are several interested parties. Lots of interest in this team. Some are local, some aren't."

Bottom line, he's not going to move the team until at least the end of this year as he want to try and win a Grey Cup to improve the club's valuation. Plus there is no pressure for him to sell. Average fan and media don't see any problems with ownership.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:45 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 pm
Definitely some growing pains in this one.

Poor kicking really cost us.

Was this Thompson's first start? I'm sure he showed better in practice than tonight.

Lots of variety in offensive play calling. We took what they gave us for the most part.

Were defensive breakdowns due to coaching or tentativeness and mistakes from guys playing their first games in new positions? Something to build on or just a mistake?

OL provided good run support. Willis showed his worth tonight for the Esks.

For all the hype about the great D linemen brought in to camp this year, I was surprised to see Turner and Roh back in their old spots. Not a lot of pressure compared to what Willis and the Esks brought.
This is where Wally has to step up and make a decision. Purifoy is playing his first game at safety after taking no reps there to my knowledge in training camp and preseason. Thompson is playing his first regular season game at corner after being moved there late in camp. Wally has to decide whether to accept the growing pains as he did with Dante Marsh in 2004, with excellent results, or make the switch to Steven Clarke at safety and Keynan Parker at corner, as he had initially planned. I would make the switch and give the next game to the players with more experience, and who both showed the aggressiveness that this defence needs when the ball is in the air. If Wally wants to win now and hold players accountable for poor play, it's an easy move to make.
I had a hard-time reconciling what Wally had been saying in regards to what his approach to camp, the final pre-season match and mostly this game with the somewhat needless shakeup in the secondary (needless in the sense that injury didn't force his hand).

I have been hearing him say how he wanted to send a message about the Lions intentions this year to come sprinting out of the gate and in particular make BC Place imposing again. And I thought he followed through on that with his early cuts in camp and playing his starters for a significant chunk for the previous game against the Riders.

But to then tinker with Fenner, Purifoy and Thompson seemed counter to that approach. Maybe I am naive but isn't the preseason precisely the time to experiment? Shouldn't coaches think in terms of putting players in position where they can excel and not come in cold? Just left me a little befuddled...leave the tinkering to Chris Jones.

As for the Oline, would folks say one side had a harder go? Johnson and Fabien or Foucault and Steward? Husband had some low snaps that didn't help matters either.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:45 pm
]
I had a hard-time reconciling what Wally had been saying in regards to what his approach to camp, the final pre-season match and mostly this game with the somewhat needless shakeup in the secondary (needless in the sense that injury didn't force his hand).

I have been hearing him say how he wanted to send a message about the Lions intentions this year to come sprinting out of the gate and in particular make BC Place imposing again. And I thought he followed through on that with his early cuts in camp and playing his starters for a significant chunk for the previous game against the Riders.

But to then tinker with Fenner, Purifoy and Thompson seemed counter to that approach. Maybe I am naive but isn't the preseason precisely the time to experiment? Shouldn't coaches think in terms of putting players in position where they can excel and not come in cold? Just left me a little befuddled...leave the tinkering to Chris Jones.

As for the Oline, would folks say one side had a harder go? Johnson and Fabien or Foucault and Steward? Husband had some low snaps that didn't help matters either.
Yes. Ineffective tinkering. Clarke looked good at Safety. The staff thought he could be good there. Thompson was exposed.

Williams got away with a push off on Yell, IMO. Williams was too much for Thompson.

Maas had some nice details in his planning. Zylstra, big and fast, was a great call on the bomb. Beautifully conceived., and of course timed. I did not check the alignment, but were we expecting dink and dunk down the field? No safety help deep? Needed another DB?

Maas said pregame that the Lions would have some wrinkles for them. Yup. New safety and corner. :dizzy:

Always a treat to watch JJ10 operate. Even under a heavy rush by four men.

The OL opened some nice holes for JJ24.

Pass rush? 1 sack. 5 against. WTF. From Benny's D.

Stop the run?

Play smart? No, more like brain dead. We played in a fog.

Play disciplined? Nope.

Very disappointing. If we have to rely on miracles from JJ to compete we are in trouble. Nevertheless, talent seems to adjust, even if coaching does not, and we will win games.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Matt Baker
Rookie

Well, what can we say? For all the hype the offseason generated we still knew this division would be a beast once again. Credit to the Eskimos. My post game report from bclions.com below. And to the above poster asking if it was Thompson's first start, I want t say he had one in Montreal last year when Mike Edem was hurt.

https://www.bclions.com/2017/06/24/roar ... mos-lions/
Alputt
Champion

Well I came home disappointed, not just with the score but it looked like BC was outclassed in some areas, Matt Baker is right, the division is a beast.

This 3 week eastern road trip will hopefully redeem and allow for some adjustments.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 am

The left side of the O-line is much stronger than the right side, as it was last year. Hunter Steward and Cody Husband are the keys to the success of this line. I didn't notice any mistakes from Foucault.

On the right side, Antonio Johnson took two penalties on one B.C. drive in the first half, taking the Lions out of scoring position and nullifying a big pass to Moore.

Kirby Fabien was the real problem. After watching the PVR, it was apparent that he was beaten for at least three sacks. Another sack was a delayed blitz by Adam Konar. Fabien had blocked a D-lineman, then turned his back to the line to look at Jonathon Jennings when Konar shot past him. Chris Burns was ruthless in his criticism of Fabien after the game. He said Fabien shouldn't be drawing a fat paycheque for the way he plays. He been watching Fabien for five years and every time he watches him Fabien is bad.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:13 pm
I will be interested in the attendance....it's not looking great. I hope Braley chimes in, we need to hear more from him.
Someone on Twitter mentioned 19,175. Braley needs to sell this team NOW.
Lions haven't been announcing the attendance for a couple of years. Wonder why ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The official attendance at cfl.ca was 19,175. There were a lot of no-shows, as there always are in summer. I thought there were about 14,000 people in the building.
Rodu
Champion

well that was just disappointing