CFL Games of Week 1

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

RECAP
CRAPIGNA’S LATE MISS SEALS SEASON-OPENING WIN FOR DURANT, ALS

CFL.CA STAFF
MONTREAL — Darian Durant threw two touchdown passes while Tyler Crapigna’s last-play field goal sailed wide, sending the Alouettes to a 17-16 season-opening win over the Roughriders on Thursday night in Montreal.

Durant threw touchdowns to B.J. Cunningham and Ernest Jackson while Boris Bede provided the game’s winning points with 2:29 remaining, making Durant’s first game against his former team a winning effort.

Crapigna had a chance to win the game for the Riders but missed right on a 45-yard attempt with no time left on the clock.

Bakari Grant scored the Riders’ only touchdown while Crapigna hit on three of four tries in a losing effort for Saskatchewan. But in the end, the Riders will lament not only the missed field goal but also a pair of second-half turnovers despite an otherwise spirited effort at Percival-Molson Stadium.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Jacques.

Close game.

Both QBs had decent numbers. Glenn had almost 300 yards. Durant had 2 TD passes. Not All Star material, but they top the depth charts on their teams.

Missed FG at the end. Yes, Crapigna crapped the bed.

Too bad for Chris Jones. :wink: I don't hate him. In fact I kind of like his crusty attitude. He seems like a solid guy. His players like him. But it is kind of fun rooting against him, and against the Riders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Wasn't exactly well played game tonight. Both teams looked a bit shakey at times. I did say to myself that at some point in this game, Glenn will throw a pick that will end a promising drive. He didn't make a liar out of me.

So other question. Rider TD, legit or a fumble. I'm with Dunnigan, looked like a fumble to me.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

it seemed clear to me that it was a fumble.

I also thought it was clear that Nic lewis did not fumble.

I don't like ref bashing, but I don't think they were on montreals side this week.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

I was pulling for Montreal and relieved they won....although they deserved to lose.

Watching both Durrant and Glenn, two aging quarterbacks past their primes play in this game, made me look even more forward to watching Jonathan Jennings play on Saturday night.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With the Lewis fumble there might have been "Not enough video evidence to overturn" but it seems that this thinking was also applied to the Grant TD fumble except that there was enough video evidence to rule a fumble. :dizzy:

Riders inserting Bridge in the red zone in the 4th quarter was a very poor call. While Stamps and TiCats have inserted experienced backup QBs and had success in the past, a more prudent approach would be to have your backup spend several weeks during the season practicing his "play package" before inserting it and him into a game. It would appear that the word "prudent" is foreign to Jones.

Durant was not as effective as I had expected but played ok. Chaps play calling was as expected. Effective running plays to start the game but didn't stick with the run. :bang: Didn't try enough to exploit the weak Riders DBs with long passes in spite of getting a TD with a long bomb pass. :dizzy:
CardiacKid
Legend

It was interesting to see how much Carter did NOT contribute although he was running his mouth off as usual. It would seem he was doing a good job of getting his colleagues agitated and pissy until Jones visibily took him aside to settle down and shut the f*** up.

My dislike of Carter is pretty well entrenched but I don't think I am far off the mark in saying, if he doesn't get lots of attention from whomever is the Rider QB, he will be a crappy team-mate.

Demski totally out-shined Carter last night but I bet he doesn't feel the need to publicly throw Carter under the bus like that little boy tends to do.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Was it just who wasn't enamoured with the clock in the final minute of the game? Seemed time disappeared rather quickly.

Also, Kevin Glenn not getting the play from the sidelines that blew time such that the guy had to get down so fast a long play would have ended the game. Glenn was furious and as the kick turned out - a miss and a run out - he was right to be mad. Not sure if it was Jarius to blame but he was out to calm him down.

The back up coming in cold and missing Carter in the end zone is understandable. Learn the lesson from Calgary in the GC game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer

As far as Carter goes, I don't know if he has a girlfriend but if he does he needs to kick her to the curb and find himself a prairie farm girl and start popping out kids. It's like my old woods foreman used to say, "Nothing turns a guy into a better, harder working, more reliable, more productive, and more motivated employee than a growing family and a large mortgage".
CardiacKid
Legend

Ottawa vs. Calgary could be going to overtime...again.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

31-31 final
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So Calgary Ottawa, was it a fumble or was it not on the last Calgary TD drive, the drive that tied the game. I thought it was a fumble. Commentators thought it was a fumble, CFL command, not a fumble. That is twice in 2 games and two days where it seems like they were looking at something else completely than the rest of us. Doesn't really inspire much confidence.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 pm
So Calgary Ottawa, was it a fumble or was it not on the last Calgary TD drive, the drive that tied the game. I thought it was a fumble. Commentators thought it was a fumble, CFL command, not a fumble. That is twice in 2 games and two days where it seems like they were looking at something else completely than the rest of us. Doesn't really inspire much confidence.
The command centre has the feel of a place that is occupied by corrupt politicians or incompetent bureaucrats. :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:11 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 pm
The command centre has the feel of a place that is occupied by corrupt politicians or incompetent bureaucrats. :bang:
It's not purrfect but FIFA in the Confederations Cup has video review where the off field officials notify the Referee to review a play but the Referee makes the decision after viewing the replay because he and the Assistants saw the play live. As the announcers said, they don't referee the game from the video booth.

Maybe the Head CFL Ref should be given the final say based on the input from the Command Centre. Maybe it should not called a Command Centre.

Some of the players incl. Mike Reilly don't like aspects of video review on PI and want the officials to call it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Bosco
Team Captain

The first two games of the season have certainly lived up to their billing and provided "don't turn off the TV" type of drama. From Darian's Durant redemption / stick to Chris Jones victory on Thursday, to last night's double OT thriller in Ottawa, the 2017 season is certainly off to a great start. Now if we can only do something about those command centre reviews...