Lions vs. Roughriders June 16, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Last nights exhibition game gave us the answers as to who will be our starters for the first game of the 2917 season.

Our offensive line will be a bit of a surprise from the depth chart of training camp. Facault will be given the nod over Vaillencourt at left guard - no surprise that Wally wanted his trade to look good but moving Facault to guard was a surprise. Our first round draft choice of 2016, Charles Vaillencourt, who was our starting right guard coming out of training camp last year, before his injury, has lot out on his shot of becoming a Leo starter. Perhaps he can beat out Fabian on the right side later this season - Vailencourt is big, strong, and aggressive.

Palmer has beaten out Antonio Johnson for the right offensive tackle spot. If Palmer's ankle is ok it will be Steward, Facault, Husband, Fabian, and Palmer to begin the season.

At running back, we'll go with Johnson and Harris, with Harris getting in a game or two to give Johnson some breaks during the season.

At receiver, it looks like it will be Manny, Burnham, Moore, Iannuzzi, and Shaq Johnson as our receiving crew, with Chris Williams drawing in later.

On defense, things get more interesting. Our starting defensive backfield will line up with Yell, Lee, Clarke, Gaitor, and Thompson. Gaitor has beaten out free agent signing Buddy Jackson for the wideside half position. Gaitor needed to be in ou staring backfield. He is a very good defensive back.

Our linebackers will be Sol E., Burnett, Purifoy, and Awe. Our defensive tackles will be Brooks and Turner, with Luke and maybe Forde spelling them off .

But who will be our defensive ends? Wally hasn't decided between Roh, Evans, Shirley, and Hudson. That Hudson is in the mix surprises me. Roh had a good game and maybe needed to. Both Shirley and Evans have shown the ability to get pressure on the quarterback. The final decision will be interesting.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
VictoriaFan
Starter

I thought Lulay looked flat and slow to respond, maybe it was just because of the Riders stinking so bad by the 4th but maybe Ross should be second string. Awe looked good
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A lot of positives for the Lions but against a weak Rider team.

Jones' "Turn over every stone" policy to find players is not giving his players enough time to develop chemistry and play as a unit. They did have a good pass rush but no ability to stop the run.

OTOH the Lions have a great roster and on O, Jennings seems to be able to get all of his receivers involved.

On D, overall for the Lions the healthy return of Yell, Lee, and Clarke was noticeable and gives them a lot more depth and flexibility than in the past.

It was looking like Palmer was going to beat out Antonio Johnson at RT but Palmer's injury likely changes that and the poor play by Epp at LT probably means that he gets cut. So, I think the Lions need to have Foucault ready to back up LT and RT if that is possible for him.
David
Team Captain

Blitz, Roh's job has always been safe at DE. It was the rush end job vacated by Bazzie that was a little murky. However, Evans was a level slightly above the competition IMHO and should be our starter. I believe they're also going to keep Shirley. Wally mentioned last night that they are going with 8 D-linemen, meaning they are going to have to let go of some guys in the defensive backfield, opting for versatility (I agree on Gaitor. A keeper!). My 8 D-linemen would be Roh, Menard, Brooks, Luke, Turner, Forde, Evans, and Shirley.

Wally also mentioned 'salary cap' considerations last night which is odd being so early in the season and he shed so many veteran salaries with Bighill, Olafioye, Phillips, Edem, Westerman, Bazzie, and now Arakgi (which he knew about the other day).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Other than the number of sacks we gave up, there was little to be concerned about from that game. Jennings had a great game despite missing two throws to Manny for what would been his 4th TD of the half. Lulay looked a bit off when he came in late in the first half, but started to get into a groove before handing off to Ross.

I was really impressed with the intensity. Guys were flying, and hitting hard. Chris Rainey played with the intensity of a guy trying to make the team. Even after taking a huge shot to his hip on a return he was back on the field in the second half trying to block guys nearly twice his size.

Burnham continues to convince me he is the second coming of Jason Clermont. He is not just a ball hawk but he will take whatever punishment required to get that extra yard or get into the endzone.

The defense showed that they can bring pressure at will.

Johnson ran the ball very well, as expected. However I was impressed by how often the offensive line carried him well beyond the line of scrimmage before he busted through a hole. The o-line can run block, but the pass block needs some work.

The season opener is going to be against a much tougher opponent than that disorganised mess Chris Jones brought to town. I doubt we will see another blow out, but there is ever reason to be confident the Lions will be 1-0 after week 1.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Bearing in mind that the Riders look like the early favourite for the #1 draft pick next year, there was much that I liked last night. I was particualry impressed by some of the backups. Harris I thought was surprisingly good as was Ross. I was pleased to see some jump from our DLine although I have my reservations about how well they will perform against a better team. Overall, great effort for a pre-season game last night. Score could have been even more lopsided had there not been a drop or two. Oh yes, special mention to Long for his punting and kicking. He missed a FG but other than that, he was spot on. His punts were huge. Hope we can keep him around somehow.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very encouraging performance.

JJ10 showed his magic, making the defence almost disappear. Rolling left throwing strikes. Picking the D apart. Long and short.

Khari Jones looks so happy. What a bunch of of talent to work with.

The D is loaded too.

Wally, McEvoy and staff have really filled the cupboard.

Biggest question for this fan? Will teams that vary the game prep, with detailed attacks on tendencies, out-coach us in the playoffs? No reason we cannot do the same in this modern age of football.

Chris Jones does not look like the second coming of Don Matthews. No way a Matthews team looks so unprepared, even if it was year one in his program. The Don's teams came out firing from the get go. What was Jones thinking bringing in Vince Young? What was he doing dropping Darian Durant? Whatever. It looks good on him, and the Riders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:45 am
Biggest question for this fan? Will teams that vary the game prep, with detailed attacks on tendencies, out-coach us in the playoffs? No reason we cannot do the same in this modern age of football.
Biggest question for this fan in pass protection. IMO, we didn't get adequate work from the guard position last night. Tackles as well at times last night, but some of those guys unfortunately, won't be around after today.

Also, special teams tackling looked good last night, but we're now going to have to make up for the huge production from Ontko and Arakgi. Awe will get his ST tackles for sure, but other guys are going to have to step up.

Other than that, I think we're loaded. I am very bullish on our defense!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:21 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:45 am
Biggest question for this fan in pass protection. IMO, we didn't get adequate work from the guard position last night. Tackles as well at times last night, but some of those guys unfortunately, won't be around after today.

True that. O Line consistency and level of play has always been a concern for some fans (Cough!) under Dan D. OL play is a most complicated package. Getting all the stuff in, getting the techniques, keeping the confidence up, keeping the minds uncluttered. It is a delicate balance. Last year was pretty good. This year? Dunno yet. It is game by game. We have the makings IMO. But, we did give up the anchor, Jovan Olafioye.

Huge run blocking holes and push last night. :thup:

Re the D ... LBs, DBs --> Loaded. DL ... * Might we be vulnerable to teams with dedicated, effective ground games? * Might we be vulnerable to good zone attacking passing games? * Will our usual contain philosophy generate enough turnovers?

I would suggest our talent matches or surpasses any team. Can we be beaten? Of course. Teams do show up, put on the equipment and battle. Strategy and game planning count. We have been outdone there in the past.

We will see.

Just IMO, batting the ball around ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Also, special teams tackling looked good last night, but we're now going to have to make up for the huge production from Ontko and Arakgi. Awe will get his ST tackles for sure, but other guys are going to have to step up.
Chandler Fenner was flying downfield last night and had three tackles on special teams. I can see Fenner and Awe making the game-day roster as designated imports. Tony Burnett will also be a key member of the cover teams. It would be nice to see one of the young nationals step up and contribute too. There will be a lot of new faces on special teams this year but I think they'll be faster and more athletic overall.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

The Riders may very well end up with the #1 pick in 2018, but I won't be surprised if Jones is no longer employed to make that selection. Year two of the "Chris Jones Experiment" and that team looks no closer to getting it's act together than they did 12 months ago. 79 guys for the final pre-seaon game? Looks like many of them saw the field at some point.

Here is how I think the Rider season will go:
Glenn starts at QB. Plays OK but the Riders go 0-3 to start the season. Rider fans as they are known to do will blame their QB for everything, including the price of wheat, and by week 4 Bridge is the starter.

Bridge plays well enough but can't overcome an O line that offers no protection and a team that takes way too many crucial penalties. Riders go 0-5 to start the season.

Desperate to get "Rider Nation" off his back, Jones announces that Vince Young will start game number 6 against BC. The extra buzz for the game boosts ticket sales and a lively crowd of close to 40,000 show up at BC Place. Young, looking very confused by everything takes 3 time count violations in the first half alone. The BC defence is extra motivated to show Young that the CFL is no easy place to play and registers 5 sacks on the former NFL star. Glenn comes off the bench to take over in the fourth quarter, but the Riders have already quit and the Lions win a blow out.

Week 8 the Lions play in Regina. Young starts and plays a bit better, but regardless "Rider Nation" boos him off the field late in the game when it clear the Riders are going to go 0-7.

Week 10 Jones releases Vince Young. The Riders finally win a game when Bridge relieves Glenn and leads a comeback over the Eskimos. Jones says Bridge is his "QB of the future" and makes some insulting comments about "Rider Nation" not being nearly as smart as he is, and that they don't appreciate how long it takes to rebuild a team. Meanwhile, in Montreal, Darian Durant receives his second "player of the week" award.

Week 11 the Riders beat Winnipeg at New Mosaic. For "Rider Nation" this is nearly as good as winning a Grey Cup. All is great in Rider land, until....

Week 12 the Riders get blown out in Winnipeg. "Rider Nation" has had enough and the calls for Jone's head become loud and constant. Hoping to create a distraction amongst RIder fans, Jones leaks a rumour that the team has been talking to Henry Burris about coming out of retirement.

Weeks 13-19, somehow the Riders win 4 of their last 7 games of the season. Missing he playoffs with a 6-12 record, Jones claims the team took some positive steps and is heading in the right direction.

The Roughrider board of directors, flush with cash from 9 consecutive sold out games, and massive merchandise sales decide they can easily afford to eat the last year of Jones contract.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Brilliant scenario, BCL.

Possible.

I have to think many wise football observers are wondering about Chris Jones as a Head Coach.

He does not lack for self-confidence. Too much so?

His arrogance grates.

Might be too soon to write him off. Dunno ... His work in Regina is a head shaker, however.

I think it is clear, though, that he is no Don Matthews. Don rebuilt programs over and over and over, pretty much not missing a beat.

Thanks for the chuckle. Worthy of Bard on the Beach.

Just IMO ...

David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:57 pm
David wrote:
Chandler Fenner was flying downfield last night and had three tackles on special teams. I can see Fenner and Awe making the game-day roster as designated imports. Tony Burnett will also be a key member of the cover teams. It would be nice to see one of the young nationals step up and contribute too. There will be a lot of new faces on special teams this year but I think they'll be faster and more athletic overall.
Agreed B.C.FAN, Fenner looked great on downfield coverage last night. Awe is just a tackling machine. I hate to jump ahead of ourselves, but if he ends up getting significant, I can see him being our ROY finalist. He has all the tools.

As for Nationals to step up, I think the club expected big things from Dylan Ainsworth to take up the ST production for the vacated Bo Lokombo. But as I posted in a previous thread, he's not only out again with a "neck" injury, he hasn't played all camp, and he missed most of last year with a "neck" injury. Given how tricky those injuries can be, I worry about his career at this point. I could be completely wrong and it's all precautionary. I'll see if I can get LU to comment.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

I can't imagine Jones making it beyond this year if the Riders don't make the playoffs. Even if they improve their win-loss record and their terrible defensive stats, they will be exceedingly hard pressed to do so. They have assembled an impressive receiving corps but with the question marks surrounding their QBs, what is the point? If they can't reliably get the ball out to Roosevelt, Carter, Holley, Collins or Owens, then that seems like talent not well utilized and $ wasted. I can't imagine a guy like Carter remaining the good team-mate if he doesn't get the ball.

Not to rag on Glenn but how old is the guy? Never fleet of foot, he goes down with injury behind a reshaped offensive line then a raw Bridge becomes the starter. I know he had a good game vs. the Bombers but last night, not so much.

I got to believe Jones thought James Franklin would fall in his lap and save the day. No such luck I'm afraid.

Things will be hot this year in Riderville; trash can fire hot!
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:19 pm
Brilliant scenario, BCL.

Possible.

I have to think many wise football observers are wondering about Chris Jones as a Head Coach.

He does not lack for self-confidence. Too much so?

His arrogance grates.

Might be too soon to write him off. Dunno ... His work in Regina is a head shaker, however.

I think it is clear, though, that he is no Don Matthews. Don rebuilt programs over and over and over, pretty much not missing a beat.

Thanks for the chuckle. Worthy of Bard on the Beach

Just IMO ...
BCL's post is LOL funny, but also very possible. I think the way success came seemingly automatically to Chris Jones (in non-HC roles) went to his head. He is not equipped to be Supreme Leader, with nothing to rein him in. (Witness his complete disregard for rules).