Lions cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The notion of cutdown day has lost some of its impact. Teams keep as many players as they want to keep, and find a way to stash them. I see the Lions starting the season with more players on their injured lists. They could still lose players if they try to cut them and move them to the practice roster. B.C. is the only team with three open spots on the practice roster.

Calgary has already moved 7 players to the 6-game injured list. Other teams haven't yet declared their injured lists.
Blitz
Team Captain

The league should just expand the rosters. Playing games with the injury list is something all teams do and the league knows it. Why not just expand both the 46 man roster or the practice roster or both.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Expanding the roster isn't going to stop coaches from stashing away players in my opinion.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 am
The league should just expand the rosters. Playing games with the injury list is something all teams do and the league knows it. Why not just expand both the 46 man roster or the practice roster or both.
I doubt that would make a difference Blitz. GMs and coaches would still play the stash game whether it's the current roster format or if they have a 60 man roster and 20 man PR. They'd still find a need to stash players beyond that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am pretty sure that Wally is on record as advocating a change to allow all 46 guys to play.

This of course adds to the visiting teams transportation, hotel, and per diem costs.
CardiacKid
Legend

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I went and checked out the Rider's roster as posted at their website. I thought it would make for some good trolling fodder or accusations of "fake roster news".
So I noticed Dillon Guy, the O-lineman the Riders poached off our PR last year is on the 1-game injured list (so no poaching him back); not sure if he is actually injured and if so, is it related to his ongoing injury issues.
Also noticed the Riders have the 46 on the active roster, 7 total on the 1-game injured list, 2 on the 6-game injured list, 8 on the PR, 4 on the suspended and 1 on the disabled list (don't think I ever recall seeing a disabled list).

They do like variety in their roster lists in Regina.

Meanwhile the Lions have 46 on the AR, 7 on the PR and...........that's it. Sorry, we seem to be pretty boring when it comes to playing with the roster numbers.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 pm
Just for sh*ts and giggles, I went and checked out the Rider's roster as posted at their website. I thought it would make for some good trolling fodder or accusations of "fake roster news".
So I noticed Dillon Guy, the O-lineman the Riders poached off our PR last year is on the 1-game injured list (so no poaching him back); not sure if he is actually injured and if so, is it related to his ongoing injury issues.
Also noticed the Riders have the 46 on the active roster, 7 total on the 1-game injured list, 2 on the 6-game injured list, 8 on the PR, 4 on the suspended and 1 on the disabled list (don't think I ever recall seeing a disabled list).

They do like variety in their roster lists in Regina.

Meanwhile the Lions have 46 on the AR, 7 on the PR and...........that's it. Sorry, we seem to be pretty boring when it comes to playing with the roster numbers.
There is some discussion on Riderfans.com suggesting that the depth guys are not listed in next man up order. E.g.: Judge with only one day of practice is listed as backing up Muamba at MLB. If Muamba has to come out of the game, Judge will not be the one replacing him.

Its more trickery and deception by Jones!!! :wag: Of course its all perfectly legal.

While I don't want Wally to do this sort of Fake Depth Chart, I do wish he would incorporate more trickery and deception in other areas. :sigh:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions still list 54 on their active roster, and probably will until Friday when they have to declare their 46-man roster for the season opener. That means 8 players will be removed, with most of those likely to be moved to the 1-game or 6-game injured list.

Montreal moved 8 players to the 1-game injured list today and 1 player to the disabled list when they declared their roster for Thursday's opener against Saskatchewan.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have got their roster down to 46 for Saturday's season opener.

Nine players were moved from the active roster to the 1-game injured list:
DB Buddy Jackson
DB Steven Clarke
RB Josh Harris
P/K Swayze Waters
LB Dyshawn Davis
DL Andrew Hudson
OL Jeremy Zver
OL Kelvin Palmer
WR Stephen Adekolu

Chris Williams moves to the 6-game injured list, as expected.

FB Dakota Brush moves from the practice roster to the active roster, leaving 6 players on the practice roster.

Link
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:54 am
The Lions have got their roster down to 46 for Saturday's season opener.

Nine players were moved from the active roster to the 1-game injured list:
DB Buddy Jackson
DB Steven Clarke
RB Josh Harris
P/K Swayze Waters
LB Dyshawn Davis
DL Andrew Hudson
OL Jeremy Zver
OL Kevin Palmer
WR Stephen Adekolu

Chris Williams moves to the 6-game injured list, as expected.

FB Dakota Brush moves from the practice roster to the active roster, leaving 6 players on the practice roster.

Link
Glad to see Wally playing the game, as the other GMs and HCs do. Why disadvantage yourself?

Clarke out.

Waters out.

Those two moves are noteworthy.

I hope Zver does not slip through our fingers.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

They are noteworth B.C. Fan

Looks like Purifoy will be our safety tomorrow night and Fenner will like up at nickel.

Antonio Johnson will start at right tackle against Edmonton and Long will be our punter/kicker. We wont's see Williams for a while yet.

One topic that has mostly slipped under the radar is that Vaillencourt, a high first round draft choice last season and the player who was considered the most pro-ready of last year's draft is a backup again. Vaillnecourt started the first two games for us in 2016. He has not unseeded Fabian and lost his anticipated spot to Facault.

Vaillencourt is 329 pounds, is tough, aggressive and has a mean streak.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dusty
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 pm

One topic that has mostly slipped under the radar is that Vaillencourt, a high first round draft choice last season and the player who was considered the most pro-ready of last year's draft is a backup again. Vaillnecourt started the first two games for us in 2016. He has not unseeded Fabian and lost his anticipated spot to Facault.

Vaillencourt is 329 pounds, is tough, aggressive and has a mean streak.
He was a pylon on a couple of plays early in the Sask game. Coaches may have lost confidence in his ability to keep up with the rush and not watch them go around him onto the QB....
Blitz
Team Captain

He was considered the second-best CIS prospect behind Manitoba nose tackle David Onyemata, to play in the Shrine Game. Vaillencourt, who is 6-foot-4, 332 pouds,was named an all-Canadian pick every year he was on campus.

He was one of the most recruited offensive linemen across the country out of CEGEP, after he was named lineman of the year in 2011.

He earned the starting job at guard right away on a very good line comprised of many veterans, including three who later became first-round selections in the CFL draft.

Some considered our Leos taking a risk in drafting Vailencourt in 2016 because he was viewed as a possible NFL player.

Last year Wally said, following the draft “We don’t pick ‘em that high (for nothing). He’s an impressive young man, physically. Not only is he physically ready, he’s mentally ready to play pro football.”

Vaillencourt was our staring right guard out of training camp last year. We asked him to switch to the left side this year and that is a very difficult thing to do.

Vaillencourt has not dropped off the turnip truck.
Figaro
Rookie

I watched Vaillancourt's first two games last year and was really impressed - looked like a seasoned pro and I thought that the right guard position was his for life. Then in game three Fabien is starting and it was hard to get info on why the change - I believe Vaillancourt was injured.

I still believe he will be an all-star lineman for our club. A must keeper.

On another note, why do we keep Murray-Lawrence on the active roster. I just don't see any production or upside to his play. Must be the ratio that keeps him playing. Josh Harris is a much better RB and Tyler Davis a better returner.
Dusty
Champion

Blitz, I do not disagree with anything you are saying . I was surprised when he was beaten. In fact, I made note of his number, because I was thinking he was a rookie and was quite surprised when I read his name on his jersey. On one play in question, it may also have been some miscommunication with the tackle, as V ended up being beaten to the outside. On the other hand it may have been some dispey doodle crossing play designed by the Mad Professor to confuse the opponents.... which of course, confuses only our players...

Either way, I worry about V's confidence and thus his ability to play "free".... following his instincts.... and I do think that he will be back in the starting rotation next game or so...