2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Newspapers are my main news source. They have pictures too....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 pm
Newspapers are my main news source. They have pictures too....
As a newspaper journalist, I can’t argue with that. :wink:

Still, lot of newspaper stories start with tweets from news sources. The published articles with pictures are tweeted out to followers and posted on Facebook to reach a broader audience.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't use Instagram, Tweet or Facebook. Rely on the old fashion newspaper, TV, or radio
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 pm
Don't use Instagram, Tweet or Facebook. Rely on the old fashion newspaper, TV, or radio

....said nobody under 40....

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:06 am
TheLionKing wrote:

Oh...... well... um.... I... um.. see your point.... :rotf:
CardiacKid
Legend

I work in IT but would never be mistaken for a member of the millenials. I am happy if someone thinks I am a GenXer. I was exposed to the digital age when floppy disks were truly floppy and the only GUI was spelled gooey.

I think there is a massive gap in the information is delivered by local and national media to the consumer. The dimishment of the traditional sources of media (paper, radio and TV) hasn't been made up by the web and related sources. At least not yet IMO....

Personally I like Twitter not because of what it contains but it gives me a snapshot of what could be promising in terms of follow-up. An example would be a Tweet by Lowell Ullrich that points me to an article by him on 3Downnation.com.

Facebook is terrible. Clunky, a pain to navigate and a terrible UI. Trying to be too many things for too many people and as a consequence, sucks at them all. The younger demographic that is so coveted hates Facebook and scoffs at its use. The next Myspace in waiting IMO....

Ironically (in my mind anyway) is how the quality of sports photo jounalism in Canada has declined since the last days of the original 6 in the NHL, even with the massive expansion of image-based media. I have been thumbing through a number of my families scrapbooks that included pages taken from MacLeans that are truly astonishing.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:06 am
TheLionKing wrote:

I don't use Instagram or Twitter. I do use Facebook but not for anything related to sports other than to give a buddy the gears. I stopped relying on old fashioned newspapers a decade ago. I don't rely on TV as much as I once did. Radio? Only if I can live stream it from work but many companies block it. Mostly I rely on websites for The Province, TSN, ESPN, CFL and NHL.

.....said someone no longer under 60. ;)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Spud387
Champion

I am on the older edge of what people call Millennials (1986). This is how I consume media (Games, Sports, News):
  • Twitter for news & updates.
  • Instagram for following individuals.
  • Facebook for family & friends stuff.
  • I do not have a cable subscription nor do I subscribe to a paper.
If I watch highlights or clips, it'll be through social media or aggregate sites like Reddit. Even then, if I see a twitter post linking to highlights on another site rather than having the clip embedded in the tweet I'll likely skip it. (Ex Twitter post linking to a video on BCLions.com or TSN.ca, I'll skip that). Only time I'll visit the news site (TSN, Province.com, etc) is for major news with lots of details that can't easily fit into a social media post.

This forum is one of the "oldest" forms of internet communication I still use. Most forums have gone into the ether in favor of social media.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Being at the tail end of the Baby Boomer group (1963), I can say I don't much care for the relentless invasion of digital media in my life (and that is coming from a retired Network Engineer). Frankly, there isn't that much that I want to know on a regular basis about most things. If I want to check in, I will do Youtube or Website based.

I was at a restaurant last night where there were bench seats back to back. 5 adults and 1 toddler behind me. The toddler was jumping up and down, kicking the seat back, reached over and was touching me. And what were the other 5 doing? Looking at their phones. Every one of them, completely oblivious. That's kind of what this obsession with electronics has come to symbolize for me. A way to withdraw from the world while obsessing about the world. We spend so much time looking at screens, we have forgotten how to look up and be aware of where you are and what's going on right in front of you.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 pm
Being at the tail end of the Baby Boomer group (1963), I can say I don't much care for the relentless invasion of digital media in my life (and that is coming from a retired Network Engineer). Frankly, there isn't that much that I want to know on a regular basis about most things. If I want to check in, I will do Youtube or Website based.

I was at a restaurant last night where there were bench seats back to back. 5 adults and 1 toddler behind me. The toddler was jumping up and down, kicking the seat back, reached over and was touching me. And what were the other 5 doing? Looking at their phones. Every one of them, completely oblivious. That's kind of what this obsession with electronics has come to symbolize for me. A way to withdraw from the world while obsessing about the world. We spend so much time looking at screens, we have forgotten how to look up and be aware of where you are and what's going on right in front of you.

Works great for line crashing the totally absorbed internet-er at Tim Hortons.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:

Frustrating as hell to see people parking their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle blocking everyone while they're on their cell phone.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have no use for any internet communication other than message forums such as this one, and emails. One day I just said, enough, no more new stuff for me.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
cjones2451
Rookie

I see the Lions released this under the radar a bit. I hope it gets a better launch and promo, as I think they are doing all the right thing with the kids season tickets and now this.....

https://www.bclions.com/studentbogo

By one, get one free for students is great, but can't see the fine print. Hope it is aimed at the 13 year old through university student. Great way to engage the next gen of fans!!
Matt Baker
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm
DanoT wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:

Frustrating as hell to see people parking their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle blocking everyone while they're on their cell phone.
Well in all fairness, if they are like me it's because their cell phone is now where they write down their grocery list.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Matt Baker wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm
DanoT wrote:
[/u]

Well in all fairness, if they are like me it's because their cell phone is now where they write down their grocery list.
just like in driving, pull over before using phone
Every day that passes is one you can't get back