2017 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 am
David wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:08 am
Weather in our favour today. Decent, but not too sunny or hot. Not a beach day today.

Disadvantage is the Seahawks playing their preseason home opener tonight. Expect local football fans to want to tune in to part of that (or attend in person).

DH :cool:
ROOF WILL BE ____?_ __ 😎
is still on the game day page. It's ridiculous how a tiny chance of a few raindrops causes this. (Like the WPG game when they kept that graphic on the page all day and ultimately left it closed.)
Buono will use any excuse not to open the roof even if there is a 1% probability of showers
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:42 pm
Call it an exasperated plea, Ernie. I am growing frustrated at this point that nothing seems imminent and no one outside of a few Lionbackers and members of the local media seems to realize the peril the club is facing from maintaining the "status quo."

I want to thank Mr. Braley for his dedicated 20 year stewardship, but the longer this drags on, the fewer (not more) choices will be in the running to purchase this team. And if he cared about this club and league as much as he claims, he'd put aside the "quarter in a parking meter" difference to his personal finances and get a deal done - in the best interest of all stakeholders.

Agreed. A huge very sincere 'thank you' to Mr. B., but, let's get a move on with this! (Although, like I hinted, this will surely be something left till the off-season for various reasons.)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 pm
I know it's not really a laughing matter at all, but LOL, I just noticed your red-type 'footer', David. Hope it's effective, even if just an exasperated in-house joke. But perhaps Mr. B. reads Lionbackers, heh heh (Fat chance of that!) Still, it's a strange world and stranger things have happened and continue to happen every day. Ya never know. As Joe Strummer of The Clash said, "the future is unwritten". There's adventures ahead this off-season! Meanwhile, may our Leos write a bit of unexpected history tonight vs. the Stamps.
Braley has always kept his dealings private and close to the vest. Could be negotiations are now well underway. Whatever happens and whenever it happens I don't expect anything to be made public until there's an announcement made that a sale agreement is in place.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:35 pm
... Could be negotiations are now well underway...
You could be quite right about that, Hambone, and I do take some comfort in that possibility. (And I mean that without any anti-Braley sentiment -- my long-time gratefulness continues to outweigh any other more complicated thoughts and feelings about this matter.) But there comes a time.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have confirmed the roof is open.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 pm
Hambone wrote:
You could be quite right about that, Hambone, and I do take some comfort in that possibility. (And I mean that without any anti-Braley sentiment -- my long-time gratefulness continues to outweigh any other more complicated thoughts and feelings about this matter.) But there comes a time.
My main point is I would be very surprised if we heard a whisper about anything until the deal was all but complete. Whether Braley has zippo on the go or is down to the short stokes on a sale I think it will be crickets.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:30 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 pm
Hambone wrote:
My main point is I would be very surprised if we heard a whisper about anything until the deal was all but complete. Whether Braley has zippo on the go or is down to the short stokes on a sale I think it will be crickets.
Heh heh -- I'm sure you're right. That's what Mr. Braley would prefer anyhow, i.e. that 'it will be crickets'. Hard to keep things airtight though -- some intrepid investigative reporter could whisper some surprise. I get what you're saying though. I just chose to latch onto your phrase that seemed to me a happy thought/happy prospect.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

So I got free tickets to the game on Friday through work, and headed down to the stadium after a meeting with dinner & drinks at the Yaletown Brew Pub. At the current rate, I go to about one game ever year or two, and thought I'd offer a few observations.

The atmosphere outside the stadium and within the concourses was excellent. A lot of people having fun, milling about, etc. What impressed me most was the Lions used to suffer from a lot of gaps in the gameday presentation: there would be something over here, but then huge gaps over there with nothing. This extended to things like banners, concessions, places to buy swag, etc. I really don't think the Lions could do anything better on how they're doing the game day presentation other than tweak minor elements. All the elements are in place. First rate.

My seats were between the 10-15 yard line, four rows up, behind the Lions' bench. The ticket price was $50, which is too much, but as I mentioned, my tickets were comped, so...whatever. Sitting near the field is fun, but has huge disadvantages. There are way too many people on the sidelines which block the view, leading me to watch much of the game on the big screen. The people around me made similar observations. I can watch the game on a screen anywhere.

I came to a conclusion on Friday night: I'm not going to pay to watch football until they open the upper deck again.

The game was a snoozer, if I'm honest. My buddy and I talked shop during most of the game, only half paying attention to the game. A guy a few rows behind me appeared to pour his beer on a middle-aged couple in front of him, and then got belligerent. The concessions guy in the crowd later spilled a small amount of two beers on me passing them overtop of me to the guy to my left. Not brilliant, but when in Rome....

At the half, my buddy and I went into the concourse to get a drink and just wander about, and we ended up leaving. We weren't upset, just bored. I was amazed at how many people bleed away from the stadium at half: not dozens, but hundreds. Presumably, they paid for their tickets. I'm a smoker, so I lit one up and we chatted with some people on their way out. A dozen or more said one of two things: "there's a concert and we want to beat traffic home," or "it's dull and we're heading to a bar."

My buddy and I chose the latter. We headed down to Yaletown, and the neighbourhood was packed. Some of the bars had the game on, so we ordered drinks and kept talking shop with the game on the background, just like we were doing at the game --but the beer was 40% cheaper and none of it was spilled on anyone.

I've said it before, but I really think playing on Friday/Saturday night is a mistake. The TV numbers are low because you miss the national numbers from back east with a 10pm or later kickoff, and man oh man are there a lot of things going on in Vancouver in the evening. People talk about competing head-to-head with the NFL. That's nonsense. The Lions are competing with the dinner & drinks crowd downtown and they are always going to lose that battle. I heard several people commenting downtown on the "bridge and tunnel crowd" pre and post game referring to the orange-clad masses. Not good.

Anyway,

James
David
Team Captain

Interesting input James, thanks. I don't think they're going to open the upper deck anytime soon though, so it looks like you can save your dough. :wink:

As a casual fan, I am interested in what you think the right ticket pricing structure should be. Tom Mayenknecht, who's a well respected sports business radio host in this town, opined that the Lions need to introduce a $20 price point (and pretty much need a pricing overhaul). He basically says whenever you don't have demand to go with a good product, then it speaks to your pricing structure.

I agree, the Lions hit the right notes pre-game. Terry Fox plaza is vibrant and active with lots going on for all ages. In-game is kind of "meh" to me. I would be HEAVILY scouting North American sports venues for ideas to replicate. They've gone away from the on-field DJ the last couple of games. I think he adds a bit of a cool vibe to the proceedings.

I don't agree with you on evening games. 7:30 on a Friday is fine (Saturday even better). People can grab a bite pre-game then hit any one of literally dozens of bars, restaurants, and pubs post game. The team really needs to market to people living within a 5 mile radius of the stadium. I would be hitting every strata manager of every condo tower, offering group discounts for residents. This is a largely untapped market.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I don't think anyone would disagree that the Lions need to visit the price structures in the off season. You can only bleed the dwindling season ticket base to a certain point.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I will say this. Never have I received so many exclusive season ticket holder invitations than I have had this season.

1. Draft party at Lions training facility.
2. Picnic at Playland with complimentary lunch and ride passes.
3. Meet and greet/Q&A with new CFL commissioner, including pre-game field pass.
4. Invitation to ST viewing party for Saturday's game at the Shark Club, including complimentary lunch and a beer.

Good strategic marketing turning a 10-game season ticket pass into more like 12 or more events.
Qman
Champion

jcalhoun wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 am
Hey all,

So I got free tickets to the game on Friday through work, and headed down to the stadium after a meeting with dinner & drinks at the Yaletown Brew Pub. At the current rate, I go to about one game ever year or two, and thought I'd offer a few observations.

The atmosphere outside the stadium and within the concourses was excellent. A lot of people having fun, milling about, etc. What impressed me most was the Lions used to suffer from a lot of gaps in the gameday presentation: there would be something over here, but then huge gaps over there with nothing. This extended to things like banners, concessions, places to buy swag, etc. I really don't think the Lions could do anything better on how they're doing the game day presentation other than tweak minor elements. All the elements are in place. First rate.

My seats were between the 10-15 yard line, four rows up, behind the Lions' bench. The ticket price was $50, which is too much, but as I mentioned, my tickets were comped, so...whatever. Sitting near the field is fun, but has huge disadvantages. There are way too many people on the sidelines which block the view, leading me to watch much of the game on the big screen. The people around me made similar observations. I can watch the game on a screen anywhere.

I came to a conclusion on Friday night: I'm not going to pay to watch football until they open the upper deck again.

The game was a snoozer, if I'm honest. My buddy and I talked shop during most of the game, only half paying attention to the game. A guy a few rows behind me appeared to pour his beer on a middle-aged couple in front of him, and then got belligerent. The concessions guy in the crowd later spilled a small amount of two beers on me passing them overtop of me to the guy to my left. Not brilliant, but when in Rome....

At the half, my buddy and I went into the concourse to get a drink and just wander about, and we ended up leaving. We weren't upset, just bored. I was amazed at how many people bleed away from the stadium at half: not dozens, but hundreds. Presumably, they paid for their tickets. I'm a smoker, so I lit one up and we chatted with some people on their way out. A dozen or more said one of two things: "there's a concert and we want to beat traffic home," or "it's dull and we're heading to a bar."

My buddy and I chose the latter. We headed down to Yaletown, and the neighbourhood was packed. Some of the bars had the game on, so we ordered drinks and kept talking shop with the game on the background, just like we were doing at the game --but the beer was 40% cheaper and none of it was spilled on anyone.

I've said it before, but I really think playing on Friday/Saturday night is a mistake. The TV numbers are low because you miss the national numbers from back east with a 10pm or later kickoff, and man oh man are there a lot of things going on in Vancouver in the evening. People talk about competing head-to-head with the NFL. That's nonsense. The Lions are competing with the dinner & drinks crowd downtown and they are always going to lose that battle. I heard several people commenting downtown on the "bridge and tunnel crowd" pre and post game referring to the orange-clad masses. Not good.

Anyway,

James
More 4pm Saturday games are need next year for sure ... maybe 6-7.

Stadium is great, but the biggest issue is they should have torn down the endzone seats and put in patios, standing areas and large bars where you can watch the game without being in your seat. Can't really do that at BC Place

Friday's game was a dud ... compete opposite of the Winnipeg and Saskatchewan games. Your going to get a few duds a season. League must work to elimate them, lets get average pts per game up to 65ish (1. mandate 3 cdns on defense 2. allow offensive picks by receivers 3. more liberal holding rules for blocking) and eliminate over-officiated games (reduce the rule book by 50%)

On ticket pricing:

I think bigger issue is the season ticket discount isn't big enough. The discount needs to be 30+% up to 40% if you come back year after year. You'll never give up season tickets if you work your way up to a huge discount.

need to revise pricings of the 4 outer sections of $735/$90 seats down to $600ish. Maybe revenues can be offset by expanding the club section to bottom of tunnels in 240-241-242.

$20 ticket is essentally created by the kid $5 ticket (essential 2-for-1)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Heads up: Dennis Skulsky will be on air with Sekeres and Price on TSN 1040 today from 4 to 6 p.m. as part of their Presidents Week series.

MATT BAKER
@BAKESTAKES84

BC Lions Vice-Chairman and CFL Governor Dennis Skulsky will join TSN 1040’s Matt Sekeres and Blake Price from 4-6PM on the annual “Presidents Week” program.

Skulsky will talk about the club’s latest efforts in their digital and social media strategy, the latest on the business side, fan-friendly programs like the Kid’s Club and much more! Fans and listeners are also encouraged to contribute by submitting your questions and feedback over the course of the two hours.

Listen Live Link: player.tsn1040.ca

Twitter: @TSN1040

Email: live@tsn1040.ca
BC 1988
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:

Completely agree about being too close to the field. I did that once years ago (friend got comped tickets) and it was too distracting to follow the plays. After that, we sat in the upper level for as long as it was open. Now (if I go by myself) I make use of the $25 ($39 all in) back 2 rows end zone, as close as possible to the goal post--high enough and looking straight downfield is the best perspective to see plays develop. With binoculars I can see both benches to follow what's happening on the sidelines.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 am
jcalhoun wrote:

Completely agree about being too close to the field. I did that once years ago (friend got comped tickets) and it was too distracting to follow the plays. After that, we sat in the upper level for as long as it was open. Now (if I go by myself) I make use of the $25 ($39 all in) back 2 rows end zone, as close as possible to the goal post--high enough and looking straight downfield is the best perspective to see plays develop. With binoculars I can see both benches to follow what's happening on the sidelines.
Seat locations are always personal preference. I know BC Fan sits in the end zone and thinks those are the best seats. Others loved the first few rows of the upper bowl when it was open and thought they were the best in the house. Some like the first row in the lower bowl. For the guys with the big drums and wild Lion outfits that's an obvious choice as it's the only place they can sit and do their thing. Other Lions fans I know from Grey Cups I've seen regularly sitting in the first row on the visitor side. A buddy of mine in Calgary always had STs in the first row behind the Stamps bench and loved them. He may still have them. My friends in Edmonton have long had seats up in the nether reaches of Commonwealth Row 75 I believe. In BC Place their seats would be on the outside looking in.

I've always had seats between the 25s behind the Lions bench going back to Empire. For several years I was in 243 Row DD and am now in 242 Row R. I can't imagine sitting in the endzone, upper bowl or any lower than the 18 rows up where I currently am. If I were to relocate again I'd like to be maybe a half dozen rows higher. Whenever I go to other stadiums for regular season games or Grey Cups I always try to get sideline seats between the 25s and hopefully 15 to 30 rows up. For a Grey Cup game I'll gladly pay the extra money (within reason) to get in those areas. I think the only endzone seat I recall having in 34 GCs was for the 1995 game in Regina. Maybe it was the teeth-chattering, bone-chilling cold of sitting in those south endzone seats facing the stiff wind out of the north that is forever etched in my mind but I never want to sit in an endzone seat again. :wink:

For myself I always factor in travel. As I've always lived at least 6 hours travel time away from Empire and BC Place every game brings with it cost of hotels, cost of fuel or airfare. Ticket price becomes a small portion of my game experience cost so I figure I might as well pay the bigger bucks for what for my taste is the better seats. For someone living in the lower mainland where the ticket price becomes a major portion of the cost of their game experience I totally understand pricing being a more crucial consideration.