Kamloops Training Camp 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 7:01 pm
Great reports, BCFAN, even on a "quiet" day. Three posts in one day, keeping us up to date and informed. :thup:

This business of going easy ... What is too easy? What is too tough? Coaches have run the gamut, trying it every which way. If guys are going to get dinged, it can happen under a heavy load or light. I don't seem to recall guys getting more injured under Vic Rapp, but they certainly did seem to run out of steam as the season progressed (some of that could even have been from mental stress, as Rapp was a high pressure guy). Don Matthews was more of an easy rider, but his guys definitely came to play. Bum Phillips of the Houston Oilers was one of the early practitioners of no hitting in practice, but they hit like gangbusters in games, as exemplified by Robert Brazile. What Wally is doing is more of the modern way. Hey, it ain't all old school.
There's certainly great camaraderie on this team, and the relaxed atmosphere has given players a lot more time and energy to laugh and joke around a bit between drills. The starting receivers are a tight group. Stephen Adekolu is a vocal leader of that group, even though he hasn't had a big on-field role before this year. Douglas McNeil is part of that group, having been on the practice squad last year. Nick Moore too is always smiling and right in the middle of the action, although injuries have limited his on-field contribution over the years.

Running backs Chris Rainey and Jeremiah Johnson are also tight and seem to love hanging out with teammates. The tight friendship and mentorship between Travis Lulay and Jonathon Jennings is well documented. The DBs are another tight group. I haven't noticed as much on-field fraternizing by the offensive and defensive lines, but linemen are cut from a different cloth. They don't like to waste energy on the field.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Interesting what is going on with the walk throughs. I think what we're seeing is Wally realizing value in keeping guys fresh as we saw last year with the RB rotation. The jugs gun for punts makes sense to me. 2 kickers are going to kick a helluva lot of balls as it is thru 2 sessions per day over 18 days. So why not limit the kicks early on much like baseball pitchers starting out with light throwing and restricted pitch counts early on in spring training and working their way up from there. Also the priority in those drills will be focused on the return and coverage teams working on their responsibilities and assignments so why not use the jugs machine to deliver consistency every valuable rep.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

(Note: not important, as it's just a slip-up of memory I suspect (and I can relate!), but, friendly reminder that it's Jeremiah -- not Josh -- Johnson.) Cheers.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 pm
(Note: not important, as it's just a slip-up of memory I suspect (and I can relate!), but, friendly reminder that it's Jeremiah -- not Josh -- Johnson.) Cheers.
Yes, I just noticed that myself and fixed it. Not the first time I've got that name wrong.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:53 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 pm
Yes, I just noticed that myself and fixed it. Not the first time I've got that name wrong.
Now if you were in the town of Rock Ridge (Blazing Saddles reference) I could see the mix-up. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Training camp Day 3
Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - morning session

Tuesday morning saw the first padded practice of training camp. Fans had to endure an hour of walkthrus first but the second hour of camp was fun.

As usual, Chris Williams and Shaq Johnson were on the sidelines doing light work, but Williams was doing some speed cuts in the end zone and looked just as quick as ever. There have been no other injuries through the first two days of camp but I saw a defensive player on the cart at the end of the first padded session. I didn't make out a number.

Anthony Gaitor was on the field, wearing is old No. 23. Anthony Thompson has switched to No. 8, and Nate Hamlin retained Thompson's old No. 28.

The team issued its first official depth chart on Tuesday, and there are no changes to the first team unit previously reported in this thread. Gaitor is listed as backup to Buddy Jackson at field halfback, Ryan Phillips' old position. You can bet that he'll be on the opening-day roster somewhere.

For the record, the first play in team session in training camp was a pass from Jonathon Jennings to Manny Arceneaux. The first-team receivers (Arceneaux, Bryan Burnham, Corey Jones, Marco Iannuzzi and Stephen Adekolu) all looked good in team play and 1-on-1s, as did Nick Moore. Burnham had a TD in goal-line play. Maurice Morgan also caught the ball well. WR Mitchell Hillis, the Lions' eighth-round draft pick from Saskatchewan, made a lot of catches in team play. He's behind Adekolu and Brett Blaszko on the depth chart. Rookie international receiver Deon Long dropped a couple of potential TD passes and Tyler Davis dropped one. Davis made up for his drop with a nice catch and run on a short crossing route.

Matt Bucknor and Gaitor had interceptions in 1-on-1s, and Solomon Elimimian had an early interception in team play. Tevin McDonald and Chandler Fenner, both second-teamers, also made good plays in coverage. Fenner is listed as backup to Loucheiz Purefoy at nickelback. The Lions probably do not have room for all the veterans in the secondary.

The Lions made up for lost time in contact drills by having two simultaneous sessions of field play at opposite ends of the field, giving reps to 48 players at a time. It was great for fans. Just as one play would end, another would start.

Adekolu, Blaszko and Danny Vandervoort got regular reps on special teams, so their roster positions look secure.

The Lions used the JUGS machine for the first kickoff practice of camp but Swayze Waters and Ty Long were both purrfect on 32-yard converts.

I have a commitment in Vancouver on Wednesday. I will not be at practice for a couple of days but I hope to be back on Thursday. Things are starting to get interesting.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:10 am
The Lions made up for lost time in contact drills by having two simultaneous sessions of field play at opposite ends of the field, giving reps to 48 players at a time. It was great for fans. Just as one play would end, another would start.
One of the things that has always fascinated/amazed me when attending TC is how organized they are and how much they can get in during the time constraints of a session. A fan has to keep their head on a swivel. Blink and you can miss 4 things all at the same time.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David Foucault. 6'8'' 315 lbs.

It is incredible how big these guys are getting.

Way back in the day, Urban Henry at 250 was about the biggest guy in the league.

Foucault could be a very good one for us. He looks to be in shape. Almost lean at 315. Ha ha

The Alouettes started all Nats on the OLine for years. Drafted well. Developed well. It gives a team great flexibility with the ratio.

But top performing Nats can
IMG_7495-533x800.jpg
be expensive. So there are always considerations in how a team builds its roster.

IMO we have done a very nice job lately in drafting OL. Fabien. Steward. Vaillancourt. Zver this year. Acquiring Foucault for the formidable Jovan Olafioye. Developing Cody Husband.

This fan thinks this is the way to go. Build a really solid group of talented Nat OL. In the long run they might be more expensive than Ints, but the flexibility it gives a team is the key.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
dodger
Rookie

Took in afternoon practice today.
No pads unlike this morning.
Notable standouts were a catch by Vandervoort in the end zone with double coverage and a catch by Tyler Davis. Davis reached over the defenders head and pulled in the catch, looked great. All the receivers ran down the field and congratulted him.
Williams was running 100 m sprints in front of the grandstand at full speed, a good sign.

I too like the two field plays going on simultaneously for the fan it is constant play.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

dodger wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:53 pm
Notable standouts were a catch by Vandervoort in the end zone with double coverage and a catch by Tyler Davis. Davis reached over the defenders head and pulled in the catch, looked great. All the receivers ran down the field and congratulted him.
Williams was running 100 m sprints in front of the grandstand at full speed, a good sign.

I too like the two field plays going on simultaneously for the fan it is constant play.
Thanks, dodger. I know people have been curious about Vandervoort. He has good hands but he didn't get many reps in Tuesday morning practice. And one pass targeted for him was intercepted when Matt Bucknor jumped the route and beat him to the ball.

Tyler Davis is a speedy all-round athlete who can play RB, WR and kick returner. Most of his receiving experience came in Germany, where he also played DB. He's a good candidate for the practice roster at least.
D
Team Captain

Thanks everyone for the updates :beer:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Hambone
Hall of Famer

dodger wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 7:53 pm
Just a note for anybody who might not be versed in the CBA and training camps. Teams are allowed only 1 padded, contact practice per day. So if the morning practice is in pads the afternoon session is guaranteed to be helmets and sweats and vice-versa.....most of the time. I think most fans enjoy the padded sessions and find the non-contact sessions somewhat boring in comparison. I know I do. No big deal if one is going to take in both sessions but kinda sucks if you can only make one and the role of the dice turns up no contact. I recall David being a bit bummed out a camp or two ago about that. I think he got up at some un-Godly hour Saturday morning to drive up to Kamloops only to be greeted with a helmet and sweats session.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For the first three days of contact drills, including Thursday, it's pads in the morning and helmets only in the afternoon. I don't know how long that routine will hold. Saturday is the last of the two-a-days before the first preseason game. I may not make the Thursday morning session but I hope to be there in the afternoon. Non-padded football is still better than no football.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Matt reported Ainsworth sat out yesterday with a neck injury. Hopefully just minor as that's what kept him out all of last season.
David
Team Captain

Steward and Foucault were on TSN1040 yesterday and Hunter was asked about the NFL and said he definitely wants to go down there (he didn't say when but I would expect when his contract expires at the end of the year). One of his goals is to become an All-Star this year (wouldn't say what the others were).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar