2017 CFL Draft - What Players Will Our Leos Choose

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Two defensive linemen and one offensive lineman or vise versa....this draft is the best one in a very long time for defensive linemen and there are some very good offsensive linemen too.

We will need a receiver in the future but that is not so important for this season as we play four International receivers. We have Adekolu, Blazsco, and Shaq Johnson for depth behind Iannuzzi for the fifth receiver position and don't rotate. Better to wait for next year's draft for a high round receiver.

We will also go with three Internationals at linebacker, with Sol E. Davis or Tony Burnett, with Purifoy at nickel so we would only be drafting a linebacker for mostly special teams work plus Wally dresses an extra International linebacker for games. Lokombo was considered a high first round draft choice but teams avoided him because they thought he would go to the NFL but we basically wasted Lokombo's talents for 3 seasons when we could have used him as a rotational linebacker much more and also rotated him into a rush end spot.

We have Clarke, Aragki, and Kankolongo for National linebacking depth and none will play much on defence, if at all.

In the later rounds (Rounds 3 on) I would be looking for a National tailback to potentially replace Shaq Murray Lawrence, whose rotational work as a tailback, as well as his kick off return results have been less than inspiring. Lawrence gained 29 yards on 20 carries in 2015 (less than 1.5 yds. per cary and only improved slightly in 2016. Johnson averaged 5.9 yds per carry last season, Allen averaged 5.0 yds. per carry and Rainey averaged 8.6 yds per carry, Lumbala averaged 11 yards per carry and yet Lawrence only could come up with an average of 3yds, per carry last season. Not good enough.

We have three National defensive backs in camp and we could go with a National field corner. We have Parker and a backup in Bucknor and last season's second round pick Anthony Thompson who could also play there, although he usually plays more of a halfback position.

A position that could use an upgrade is free safety. Wally seems determined to only play two Nationals on defence. That means we will either play a National free safety or a National corner. Wally could go with two International tackles and play both a National safety and a National field corner but I wouldn't bet on it.

My betting is that Wally still goes with a National safety and an International field corner. If that is the direction, then we need to be looking for a better free safety. Edem was let go by both Montreal and Hamilton. Edem was a the 3rd overall pick in the CFL draft in 2013 but has not performed as a pro as expected. Washington was excited about signing Edem last year but Edem did not shore up the safety postion as hoped for.

We have stuggled with the safety position ever since International Barrin Miles retired. Right now we have Edem at safety, backed up by Eric Fraser. If Wally wants to stay National at safety, I would love to see Anthony Thompson get a shot at it. Thompson’s fast, aggressive and has a confidence that you need to play the position.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Wally is going to pick a OT with one of the Lions' two first round picks.

I think he is going to play Edam at FS, keeping it National otherwise if he was going with an International at FS wouldn't he have kept Philips and play him at FS like the Als intend to do?

Then it is also likely Parker (NAT) starts at Field Corner with Thompson backing up.

So, 4 starting NAT on the Oline and 1 NAT receiver gives the Lions their 7 NAT starters leaving the Dline as all INT with NAT Menard as a rotational guy with no need for a Nat backup. Lions will then sometimes be playing with 8 NATs on the field.

Still Wally might take a DT/DE with an early pick if there is someone who could be a good fit right away for Special Teams and regular Dline rotation in future seasons or late in this season.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

you guys who know better than me seem to be occupied with linemen and linebackers. I thought there was a need at DB???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:you guys who know better than me seem to be occupied with linemen and linebackers. I thought there was a need at DB???
The Lions are overloaded at national DB, with Mike Edem, Eric Fraser, Keynan Parker, Matt Bucknor and Anthony Thompson all experienced and capable of playing a regular role. I'm not an Edem fan but the Lions are counting on two starters from that group.

For international DBs, the Lions have Ronnie Yell, T.J. Lee and Steven Clarke as starters coming off injury, Chandler Fenner and Buddy Jackson experienced and capable of starting if necessary and the usual healthy crop of rookies. The Lions have done well at recruiting national and international free agent DBs in recent years.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:you guys who know better than me seem to be occupied with linemen and linebackers. I thought there was a need at DB???
Based strictly on the rankings this isn't a good draft for any team that perceives a need for immediate help in the secondary. There's 23 players in total who were ranked in the top 20 in one or the other of the September or December rankings. Calgary Dino's Robert Woodson is the only DB amongst them. He was listed 12th back in September and slipped to 17th in January.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
The Lions are overloaded at national DB, with Mike Edem, Eric Fraser, Keynan Parker, Matt Bucknor and Anthony Thompson all experienced and capable of playing a regular role. I'm not an Edem fan but the Lions are counting on two starters from that group.

For international DBs, the Lions have Ronnie Yell, T.J. Lee and Steven Clarke as starters coming off injury, Chandler Fenner and Buddy Jackson experienced and capable of starting if necessary and the usual healthy crop of rookies. The Lions have done well at recruiting national and international free agent DBs in recent years.
speaking of DB's, I had thought when I first saw Jordan Hoovers numbers from the skills that he might be a good pick up if available to the lions. Then I watched the one on ones and wasn't too impressed but thought if he was coachable and football smart enough, he might still be a good pick for a later round.
Then I see today that Marshall Ferguson at cfl.ca did his latest mock draft and suggested that the lions might take him in the 4th round. From what you say, doesn't look like it. So, does that mean a couple of new international DB's??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

speaking of DB's, I had thought when I first saw Jordan Hoovers numbers from the skills that he might be a good pick up if available to the lions. Then I watched the one on ones and wasn't too impressed but thought if he was coachable and football smart enough, he might still be a good pick for a later round.
Then I see today that Marshall Ferguson at cfl.ca did his latest mock draft and suggested that the lions might take him in the 4th round. From what you say, doesn't look like it. So, does that mean a couple of new international DB's??
Marshall Ferguson has us taking Dariusz at #3 and Justin Senior at #7, and then a linebacker Jordan Herdman out of SFU at #16. He has us taking a running back (Erlington-Montreal) at #24.

This is one of the best drafts for defensive linemen in a long time so I really believe we should take a National defensive lineman for one of our first two choices. Right now, we only have one National tackle (Forde) and two National defensive ends - David Menard and the untested Ainsworth. Even if we decide to go with a National field corner and four Internationals on the defensive line, with two rotational Nationals, it still makes sense to draft a National defensive lineman for depth.

It also makes sense to draft a National offensive lineman in this draft. There are some good ones. Senior seems to be slipping down the rankings but he is a tackle and that may entice. To have a backup at every National offensive line position we need to draft one more offensive lineman.

As for taking a linebacker at #16, Wally prefers to use International linebackers with the occasional rotation of a National at the nickel position for certain situations. So drafting a linebacker is basically drafting a special teamer because if one of our linebackers gets hurt, Wally will just insert a different Internatonal in his place. Better to choose another offensive or defensive lineman at #16.

I like the idea of drafting a running back at #24. Shaq Murray Lawrence has not shone. But with Rainey being mostly used as a rotational tailback, the National backup tailback position is not critical. We could choose to go in a number of directions at the #24 spot.

Iannuzzi has started for us at field wideout since 2011. He has 1,236 yards of receptions as a Leo for an average of 206 yds per season and he has 107 receptions during that time which averages less than one reception per game. Yet somehow, he has maintained his starting role. I don't know if Wally has a particular affection for him or what but his results don't stand out at all. Yes, he plays the wide side receiver spot but so have many other Nationals on other CFL teams.

With Chris Williams often lined up wide in the past, this is an opportunity for our Leos to change the paradign for that fifth receiver National role. We have two big receivers in Adekolu and Blaszco, who could be lined up as a tight slot in the five pack receiver set and be big targets over the middle. Or we could go with speed and use Shaq Johnson for quick crossing patterns, to stretch the defense vertically, and for bubble or slip screens.

We could draft a National receiver in the lower rounds but we drafted two Nationals at receiver last season who have the potential to start as well as Adekolu, who really should be given an opportunity. Whether its been exhibition play or his start in the WDF, Adekolu has shown that he can play.

Iannuzzi is a tweener. He is not particularly fast nor is he big. I would rather see us go big with Adekolu, who had a big game against Winnipeg with his opportunity in the West Semi Final, where he led our Leos in catches in that game or Brett Blaszcko, who I considered a steal last season. Blaszco is a versataille receiver who is tall, fast (4.5 at the Combine) as well as very athletic.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who draft #1 and #6 will play a key role in how the 2017 draft will unfold. Its hard to believe that the Bombers received one of the very best defensive backs in the league in T.J. Heath, as well as a #1 draft choice for Drew Willie. Toronto got fleeced.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionsfan65
Starter

Looking at Marshall Ferguson's latest mock draft, I would agree for the most part with his picks. The only thing I really disagree with is drafting a linebacker at #16. Although Herdman is a great player, and played at SFU, I think the first three picks we draft on the lines this year. If Herdman is still available in a later round I wouldn't mind taking him, however he is unlikely to start this year, or even next year. As Wally probably wants to keep the starting will spot for an international. Likely Davis starts with Burnett playing significant time as well. Even after the loss of Lokombo, we still have three pretty good national special teamers in Arakgi, Clarke, and Kankolongo.
I think we will draft 2 o line and 2 d line at some point in this draft with our first three picks likely in those positions. Our Canadian depth really isn't that bad in other places, if Gore does indeed retire, maybe we draft another receiver.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:It also makes sense to draft a National offensive lineman in this draft. There are some good ones. Senior seems to be slipping down the rankings but he is a tackle and that may entice. To have a backup at every National offensive line position we need to draft one more offensive lineman.
Not sure if Senior is slipping in the rankings or just slipping in the Mock Drafts due to expected NFL opportunities. I did a bit of googling on him. CBS and Draftscout have him ranked #18 as an OT and project him to go in the 6th or 7th round of the NFL Draft. A couple other articles project him going earlier than that. That would seem to make him a more highly regarded NFL prospect than Boyko was and we're in the 3rd year of the Boyko watch. Wally hasn't been adverse to taking a "futures" pick in the past but I don't see him burning one of the first 3 picks on Senior unless he slips right through the NFL Draft and the subsequent PFA signing window. Unless the pundits are out to lunch on Senior I expect he will already be signed to an NFL contract by the time the CFL Draft hits.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’ve always maintained that the CFL draft was a crapshoot. Increasingly, the top-rated players have their eyes set on the NFL. CFL teams have to project not only who will be able to play at the next level but who will not stick in the NFL.

Of the 29 nationals on the Lions’ offseason roster, 16 were drafted by the Lions but only 7 of those in the first two rounds (Kirby Fabien, Shawn Gore, Marco Iannuzzi, Rolly Lumbala, Hunter Steward, Anthony Thompson, Charles Vaillancourt). These 7 nationals have mainly been starters but about a dozen other players drafted in the first two rounds by the Lions in the same period are long gone.

Here’s a breakdown by category and player:
29 nationals
16 drafted by Lions
12 free agents
1 acquired by trade

Of the 29 nationals:
7 drafted in first two rounds by the Lions
4 drafted in first two rounds by other teams

B.C. Lions nationals
Stephen Adekolu free agent
Dylan Ainsworth free agent (2nd round 2014 Saskatchewan)
Jason Arakgi 3rd round 2008
Mike Benson free agent
Brett Blaszko 3rd round 2016
Matt Bucknor free agent
Adrian Clarke 4th round 2015
Jas Dhillon free agent
Mike Edem free agent (1st round 2013 Montreal)
Kirby Fabien 1st round 2012
Maxx Forde 7th round 2015
David Foucault trade (1st round 2014 Montreal)
Eric Fraser free agent (1st round 2010 Calgary)
Shawn Gore 2nd round 2010
Quinn Horton free agent
Cody Husband free agent
Marco Iannuzzi 1st round 2011
Shaq Johnson 4th round 2016
Nehemie Kankolongo free agent
Rolly Lumbala 2nd round 2008
David Menard 4th round 2014
Shaq Murray-Lawrence 3rd round 2015
Nate O’Halloran 7th round 2016
Keynan Parker free agent
Alec Pennell free agent
Hunter Steward 1st round 2016
Anthony Thompson 2nd round 2016
Charles Vaillancourt 1st round 2016

Brennan Van Nistelrooy 6th round 2016
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Situation --> The trend is up for National talent in terms of quantity and quality. The NFL is watching.

It does make the CFL draft risky at the top.

My view ... Acquiring National talent via the draft and free agency is a game of skill. The best-run teams benefit from this situation. The best-run teams already have better Nat depth than more poorly run teams. They can afford to take some futures, players who might get looks from or time with the NFL. The best-run teams generally do a better job drafting. Later round picks develop into useful assets.

It is all good. IMO we have done a better job drafting lately, with fewer misses.

Hoping once again that we score 2 DLs and 1 OL in rounds one and two.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Justin Dunk's mock draft 1.0
3) Lions – Junior Luke, DL, Montreal

Absolute load in the middle, Luke needs to prove he can carry over that dominance to the CFL.
I like Junior Luke if that were to happen. DT.
7) Lions – Christophe Mulumba, LB, Maine

Ultra-productive tackler brings special teams ability right away and with further development a possible starter down the line.
Christophe Mulumba, LB. I would rather we take an OL or another DL. Justin Vaughn, DT. Eli Ankou, DT.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re 3DownNation's mock draft ...

#1 Junior Luke to the Bombers. Ouch.
Tough as nails and equipped with a high motor, Luke is a pro-ready interior defensive lineman who can play the run and rush the passer. The Montreal native would be in contention to earn starting reps as a rookie in Bomberland.
3. B.C. Lions — DL Faith Ekakitie, Iowa

The Lions lost Jabar Westerman in free agency, but three-year veteran David Menard may be ready to take starter reps along the defensive line. Ekakitie gives B.C. a bulky interior force who should make an impact as a rookie.
Yessss ...
7. B.C. Lions — OL Justin Senior, Mississippi State

The Lions recently traded for David Foucault, a ratio-breaking tackle prospect drafted fourth overall by the Montreal Alouettes in 2014. With Hunter Steward already on the roster and 2015 second rounder Brett Boyko in the pipeline, Senior would add to an already deep pool of current and future Lions tackle prospects.
Yessss ...

16. B.C. Lions — LB Alexandre Chevrier, Sherbrooke

Chevrier provides the Lions with an immediate upgrade to the club’s special teams units. Chevrier, an under-the-radar prospect who garnered an invite to the national combine by way of the Montreal regional, posted the best speed and quickest test results of all linebackers at the combine.
Special Teams? Gawd ... "under the radar" ... LOL Great. Leave him under the radar. Draft a higher rated player.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Mitchell's mock draft 1.0
1:3 B.C. Lions (from MTL) — OL Dariusz Bladek, Bethune-Cookman

Scouts will watch at the combine to see how he handles typical nuances, like being a yard off the ball, but this new Canadian — he found out his mother was born in Montreal — could be vying to go first in a month. Or he could be lower.
I would rather we draft a DT with our first pick.
1:7 B.C. Lions — DB Robert Woodson, Calgary

A terrific athlete at 5-foot-11 and 197 pounds, Woodson will likely be a star of the 2017 CFL Combine in Regina from March 23-25. He fits the bill for any team looking to add to its Canadian depth in the secondary, likely at free safety.
No. This fan does not like it. OL or DL, please. Ankou, Boateng, Roy, Ekakitie.

The mock drafts vary widely, moreso than previous years, it seems to me.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ferguson's mock draft ...

2. SASKATCHEWAN
ELI ANKOU
DT | UCLA

Chris Jones just wants football players. Big, nasty, mean spirited athletes with a singular goal in mind of being the best at their craft.

Eli Ankou fits that mold. With the Bombers passing him over at first overall in favour of quarterback protection, Saskatchewan should be ecstatic to add Ankou to the future fold here.

Ankou would fit seamlessly into the deep rotation of defensive lineman utilized in Regina last season if and when he signs a CFL contract.
NFL interest. It would be great to have this guy under CFL contract. For the Lions ...

3. BC
DARIUSZ BLADEK
OL | BETHUNE-COOKMAN

The 2017 CFL draft might not have those one or two names that jump above the rest as sure fire perennial all-stars or A+ prospects but the strength of the draft is in the high number of B+ and A- prospects, especially across the offensive line.

In Bladek, the Lions could add a prime example of this depth while solidifying the left guard position should Hunter Steward take a look south in the coming years. At the combine, Bladek brought an intensity, focus and personality typically seen in a prototypical top five selection.

Bladek can be a depth swing man immediately with the very real possibility of becoming a rock on a line building around Jonathon Jennings for the foreseeable future.
Could be. But would prefer DL with this pick.

7. BC
JUSTIN SENIOR
OL | MISSISSIPPI STATE

With the Lions recent trade of Jovan Olafioye to Montreal for the rights to Montreal Carabins alum David Foucault, BC is open to some transition in the offensive line and Senior feels like a natural fit.

Although he played in the SEC and attended the Senior Bowl and NFL combine, I rank both Geoff Gray and Dariusz Bladek ahead of Senior. Not because they are head and shoulders above Senior but because they appear more fundamentally sound as interior linemen than Senior does as a tackle.

If a national is likely to establish a long-term starting spot it is consistently as a guard or centre. Senior is a pure tackle for now, rendering him as a day one backup tackle or guard in waiting.

There are moments I love watching Senior on tape. He moves fluidly against edge rushers and has good mobility for his big frame, but he is top heavy and tends to lean himself into trouble allowing interior pass rush moves or opening the door to getting shrugged by savvy defensive lineman.

BC could give Senior a solid mix of opportunity and veteran protection to allow him to develop into the player the CFL Scouting Bureau has consistently ranked as the top prospect of 2017.

Oh yeah. Although there is NFL interest.