Jovan leaves the Den. Confirmation on Page 8.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I don't understand how the Lions are up against the Cap when they're paying their QB's $200k less than some other teams...and removed a $200k LB from the payroll? Why would Wally pay C. Williams a huge salary when we're already stocked at WR and have Rainey on ST who is under-utilized...especially at the cost of losing the pillar of our OL? That just makes no sense. There's got to be more to this, i.e. Jovan's play is deteriorating or he has health issues or the Lions have a line on another supposedly premier tackle who will sign for less.

My belief is the Lions are closer to the Cap minimum than the Cap maximum and this overspending story is just a ruse. :ref:
It could be a ruse John Henry....as Wally hates to pay his players fair market value...if he does it feels like a negotiation loss to Wally. Wally will sign a player to fair market value if he feels he has to, in order to get him signed and then will often attempt to renegotiate it.

But I don't believe that is the case here. Wally signed Rainey, Burnham, and Chris Williams to expensive contracts. I'm more than fine to signing the three to expensive contracts. Wally likely signed Iannuzzi, a vet, to a contract that would be expensive, based upon Iannuzzi's contributions. Wally also signed some free agents this off-season.

But the contract that is likely the one that is the most pain against the cap is the one he signed with Swayze Waters. Signing Waters was easy...all we had to do was pay him more than Hamiltion was willing to pay him. The signing drew accolades at the time and Waters will come in to B.C. and punt very well. Waters kicked 79% of his field goals while with Toronto and that average does not jump out, the way CFL field goal kickers are booting the football these days. Every starting CFL field goal kicker last year, except for Leone, kicked for better than 80% and most were had much higher successs rates.

The reality is that we have not developed a field goal kicker in B.C. during the Wally era. Wally tried to turn O'Mahoney into a field goal kicker and the disaster led to Wally signing retired Mark McLoughlin for the playoffs.

Paul McCallum was signed and then pressured to retire in training camp so Wally could go with Leone as our field goal kicker as well as our punter. Once again, as with O'Mahoney, the experiment failed and Wally felt he had to sign retired Paul McCallum last season for the playoffs. We could have signed Sean Whyte for 2016, but chose not to.

So, we had no field goal kicker for this season or punter either, as Leone decided to try the NFL. Only Winnipeg uses an International kicker. All other CFL teams use a National or two for the punter/kicer position.

So, feeling the need to sign a proven International kicker, has likely put pressure against the SMS. However, the one thing A GM should not be doing, in terms of SMS management, is feeling the need to trade your best offensive lineman if he won't take a pay cut when that player has just moved from right tackle to left tackle and made the CFL All=Stat team....Jovan doesn't deserve that.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Blitz, I am in total agreement. I guess we can say 'no news is good news' as I have heard nothing from Jovan's camp. Or Wally. Or anyone from the Lions for that matter.

By all accounts, Swayze Waters is a charming young man. Community minded, devoted to his family and religion, and a good quote. But like you say, he couldn't have come cheaply. Wally is happy to have found a guy who does all 3 kicking pursuits well. However, I would have been more than happy with us re-signing FA Anthony Fera who showed really well in Montreal last year and is only going to get better (I'm astounded that the Als have chosen Bede over Fera. Many mistakenly believe Bede is a National because he's French. He's actually an International).

Fera of course is also an International but he would have cost us much less than Waters, and his punting has really improved. Meanwhile, we could have (and still should regardless) drafted a kicker or traded for one - the logical choice would be Victoria's Quinn Van Gylswyk from the Riders who is behind Tyler Crapigna, and groom him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
QB Club 63
All Star

David wrote: Meanwhile, we could have (and still should regardless) drafted a kicker or traded for one - the logical choice would be Victoria's Quinn Van Gylswyk from the Riders who is behind Tyler Crapigna, and groom him.
DH :cool:
THANK YOU DAVID! I thought I was the only one who advocates going after QVG! Historically, our best kickers have been local (BC) kids with a soccer background. We missed the boat on Whyte, let's not repeat that mistake. :2cents:
CardiacKid
Legend

Still nothing to report per Jovan heading east? At least I haven't seen anything.... it makes me wonder if this had very little in the way of legs (despite Farhan's reporting), what the Als were willing to part with simply wasn't or isn't up to snuff or maybe Wally has had a change of heart?

The more this drags along it reminds me of the situation Westermann was in a few years ago with his brush with the law. Yes, entirely different circumstances but how Wally's attitude was reported at the time, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Westermann was going to be shown the door because of his actions. And yet he stuck with the team for a couple more seasons.

Hopefully this situation also does an about face and Jovan stays a Leo.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:Paul McCallum was signed and then pressured to retire in training camp so Wally could go with Leone as our field goal kicker as well as our punter. Once again, as with O'Mahoney, the experiment failed and Wally felt he had to sign retired Paul McCallum last season for the playoffs. We could have signed Sean Whyte for 2016, but chose not to.
Wally couldn't have signed Whyte in 2016 unless he swung a deal with Edmonton to get him. Whyte has been under contract to the Esks continually since he joined them in the middle of the 2015 season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Thanks Hambone.

As a fan, its always difficult to assess how well an offensive line plays. But statistics can give us a number of clues.

Last season, 2016, our Lions led the CFLin rushing. Even taking out quarterback rushing (Jennings was second amongst CFL quarterbacks in rushing in 2016) our Leos led the CFL in rushing.

However, that stat can be misleading and rushing attempts are also a factor. Our Leos led the CFL in rushing attempts. But we also led the CFL in average gain per rush (5.3 yds. per rush)

So, in terms of rushing, we were the best rushing team in the CFL. We rushed the most times, gained the most yardage, had the best average gain per rush attempt, and scored the most rushing touchdowns.

We also accomplished that with a rookie starting center in Cody Husband, a left guard (Steward) who had never played the position, a left tackle (Olofioye) who had started at right tackle for most of his pro career) and an undersized rookie right tackle in Antonio Johnson. We also started a rookie right guard (Vaillencourt) for the firt two games of the season. Wee also inserted TIm O'Neil, an over the hill left guard for a few games as well as the ill fated move to start Levy Adcock at right tackle for a few games and he was not adequate to start at the CFL pro level.

Of course, an offensive line's run blocking abilities can look better or worse, depending on who is playing tailback. But no matter whether we started the quick Jeremiah Johnson or a power back as Anthony Allen, both averaged over 5 yards per carry.

When one consideres that our Leos employ a basic run game, mostly using the inside zone read play, there is more than an appearance that our offensive line play for the running game was very good last season.

The next area to look at is pass protection. Our Leos gave up 35 sacks last season. Calgary led this CFL stat by a wide margin while we finished 3rd in this category, tied with Winnipeg. The Eskimos finished 2nd, allowing 31 sacks. In looking more closely at this stat, the quarterback position and style of passing attack are also factors. Jonathan Jennings, like Mike Reilly, are good at escaping the rush and have good pocket presence and help their offensive line with these abilities. Calgary's offence utilizes more hot reads and safety valves in their passing game than any other CFL team. The Bombers used a quick, short passing attack and highly utilized their tailback in their passing game.

Our Leos offence featured a vertical passing attack with an emphasis on deep and deep intermediate passing. That means the offensive line needed to hold their pass blocks longer. Jennings was also a quarterback in his first full season as a starter and both of those elements have to be factored in. Our Leos averaged 9.2 yards per pass. Only Ottawa (9.3 yds per pass) had a better yds. per reception completion rate. Our |Leos led the CFL in big play attempts and big play completions (71). We had 53 pass plays of over 30 yards. 6

It was one of our best seasons protecting the quarterback in the Buono era in B.C. When our Leos have been most successful on offence during the regular season (2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, and 2016 we have protected the quarterback well. But we've had a number of seasons when we have given up a lot more sacks than in 2016 : 2004: (54 sacks), 2005 (65 sacks), 2009 (40 sacks), 2010 (65 sacks), 2013 (47 sacks), and 2014 (53 sacks),

Our Leos offence also led the CFL in first down offence, with a 7.2 yd. average on first downs (run and pass). So, in looking at those stats, our offensive line had one of their best seasons ever. For example, when we won the Grey Cup in 2006, we finished 5th in rushing and gave up 57 sacks. In 2011, when we won it all again, our Leos finished 6th in rushing but only gave up 29 sacks (our best ever). But we passed for less yards in 2011 than last year and our offence did not have as many big plays and had nowhere near as good a pass completion rate as we did in 2016.

So, when one looks back to the 2016 season, our offensive line led our Leos to the best rushing attack in the league, one of our best seasons in protecting the quarterback, and also gave our quarterback the time to throw for the most big plays in the CFL and the most big plays in one season that our offence has experienced in the Buono era?

So, the big question is why mess with our offensive line for 2017. Why not let Steward have a second starting season at left guard and the same for Olifioye at left tackle while Cody Husband gains a second year of experience as our starting center while Anntonio Johnson does the same at right tackle. Communication and plaing together to enhance cohension are very important for an offensive line.

If we want to mess with the ratio, why not leave our talent alone. Steward has played left tackle before and its his natural position and Olifioye has been a CFL All-Star for years at right tackle. Insert Vaillencourt as a rookie and you have four International starters and an All-Star International offensive lineman. Going with four Nationals on the offensive line enables us to start four International receivers but we would be more than fine starting Manny, Burnham, and Williams, with a National receiver. Are we really going to benefit more by starting Moore at outside slot than having Olifioye on the offensive line. But if we are dead set on starting four International receivers, it makes much more sense to me to have Steward and Olifioye at tackle to protect Jennings than Steward and Johnson and Jovan is also an outstanding run blocker as well.

Food for thought. We've just come off one of our best offensive seasons with a young quarterback and three offensive lineman playing new positions. We led the CFL in rushing, yds. per rush, and big play offence. We led the CFL in first down success. We protected our quarterback better than most seasons in the Buono era. To me, for 2017, we should be focusing on fine turning our offence by focusing on second down running success on short yardage, incorporating more of a short passing and screen game to add to our vertical offence so that we can take advantage of teams that are overplaying our deep ball, and incorporating Williams into our pass offence.

But we really should not be messing with success. Olifioye was a key part of our success in 2016. He is one of the very best to wear a Leo offensive line uniform. Our offensive line enjoyed one of its best seasons in 2016.

We need to tread carefully. Sometimes one change can lead to a lot of problems. Its a time to be wise.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

You make many great points Blitz, and I agree that Olafioye has been one of the strengths of the team since he arrived. He has been an outstanding Lion in all respects. Like many, I was surprised to hear his name come up in rumours. However, I will withhold judgement on a potential trade until I see what comes back, if anything in fact comes to pass.

The two names most rumoured to be involved from the Als are Nat OL David Foucault and Vernon Adams. Foucault is 1 year younger than Olafioye but with much less wear and tear, would likely earn half of what Olafioye earns (at least initially), and would enable the Lions to start to start 4 nationals on the Oline for the foreseeable future. Adams has the potential to be a future star and would provide much needed security at the QB position.

It takes quality to get quality, and it is rare for an import OL to have much trade value--see last year's outstanding lineman who was allowed to walk for considerably less $ than Olafioye earns. The Als are in a rare circumstance of needing to add a veteran import lineman and, with a new GM and rebuilding team, they are ripe for the picking.

Swinging a trade for either Foucault or Adams would be a coup for the Lions, in my opinion. Not sure that the Als have anyone else available of interest.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:You make many great points Blitz, and I agree that Olafioye has been one of the strengths of the team since he arrived. He has been an outstanding Lion in all respects. Like many, I was surprised to hear his name come up in rumours. However, I will withhold judgement on a potential trade until I see what comes back, if anything in fact comes to pass.

The two names most rumoured to be involved from the Als are Nat OL David Foucault and Vernon Adams. Foucault is 1 year younger than Olafioye but with much less wear and tear, would likely earn half of what Olafioye earns (at least initially), and would enable the Lions to start to start 4 nationals on the Oline for the foreseeable future. Adams has the potential to be a future star and would provide much needed security at the QB position.

It takes quality to get quality, and it is rare for an import OL to have much trade value--see last year's outstanding lineman who was allowed to walk for considerably less $ than Olafioye earns. The Als are in a rare circumstance of needing to add a veteran import lineman and, with a new GM and rebuilding team, they are ripe for the picking.

Swinging a trade for either Foucault or Adams would be a coup for the Lions, in my opinion. Not sure that the Als have anyone else available of interest.
Foucault must still be trying to land another NFL shot. You'd think Montreal would be all over trying to get a Montreal kid under contract. That they haven't signed him yet would indicate to me he wants one more shot and at 28 isn't quite ready to give up on that. Signing the mandatory 1+1 first CFL contract would pretty much permanently close the NFL door for him.
Qman
Champion

They were also low-balling him:

Denis Côté @Blacklight911
@HerbZurkowsky1 And why is that? because they offered David Foucault a firm $80,000 per saison. Take it or leave kind of proposal.

Darin Bodnaresk‏ @Talmid17 Feb 7
@HerbZurkowsky1 Herb, any insight into David Foucault and why the Als are only offering 80k?
CardiacKid
Legend

maxlion wrote:You make many great points Blitz, and I agree that Olafioye has been one of the strengths of the team since he arrived. He has been an outstanding Lion in all respects. Like many, I was surprised to hear his name come up in rumours. However, I will withhold judgement on a potential trade until I see what comes back, if anything in fact comes to pass.

Herb Zukowsky has speculated the Als are willing to cut Adams loose with nothing in return. Kavis Reed seems to be a fan of Jacory Harris while Adams apparently has trouble with reading CFL defences.
If Wally still covets Adams perhaps giving up a player the quality of Jovan to get him is unnecessary.
Blitz
Team Captain

I've made my thoughts clear that I think it would be very unwise for us to trade Olifioye and my reasons for thinking so.

Regarding your comment regarding Derrick Dennis, yes Dennis had an outstanding season in 2016, starting 15 games at left tackle, two games at left guard, and one game at right guard. Dennis became a starter for Calgary for the last 5 games of 2105. Dennis went to the highest bidder and that was Saskatchewan. The differences I see between Dennis and Olifoye is that Olifioye has a much longer resume than Dennis and Olifioye has been a loyal Leo, signing three extensions rather than going the free agency route. Olifioye is also the leader of our our offensive line and is viewed highly by his teammates as a veteran leader.

The Stamps also have excellent line depth. They started 11 different offensive lineman last season and yet still run blocked successfully enough to have Messam lead the CFL in rushing while also protecting their quarterback much better than any other CFL team. Calgary can start Randy Richards without much drop off from Dennis. Hufnagel wanted Richards and swung a trade with the Riders for him in 2015 while the difference between an Olifioye and an Antonio Johnson is much more significant.

However, should we trade Olifioye to Montreal, I hope its not for Vernon Adams Jr. Chapdelaine has coached a lot of quarterbacks from Dickenson to Printers to Buck Pierce to Travis Lulay. If he is not sold on Vernon Adams it says something. I doubt we would go in that direction. If Wally does trade Olifioye I see him looking for a National lineman who could back up Steward at left tackle or start at right tackle.

The Als have identified strengthening an offensive line that gave up 64 sacks, the most in the CFL, last year, as their priority and are willing to go with an International tackle or even possibly two.

Jacob Ruby could be a potential trade target. He played left tackle in his rookie season last year for Montreal. Focault is still looking at NFL options.
maxlion
Legend

Interesting tweets from Lawless...

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

This was an interesting read -- a wee bit of an insight at least -- offers a bit of a sense for who Mr. Foucault is -- how he sees things...

Note, I've simply copy-and-pasted an article lifted from one of the Montreal publications after Google did the sometimes rather goofy 'translating'! But you'll easily get the gist.

David Foucault relies on his two-year experience with the Carolina Panthers in the NFL to get a good offer in the Canadian League

Stéphane Cadorette
Thursday, 23 March 2017 15:12

Without making a definitive cross on his dream to evolve in the NFL, David Foucault realizes that his future football will probably play in the CFL. In all likelihood, his career is more likely to continue in Western Canada than in Montreal.
According to a well-informed source, the Alouettes, currently holding their rights in the Canadian League, are reported to be in the process of exchanging them. The two main buyers are currently the Lions of British Columbia and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
Information that the former Carolina Panthers, who released him last August, refused to confirm to the Journal, when joined on the phone. At 28 years old and after a full season away from the fields, Foucault sees the reality in front after negotiations that have not borne fruit so far with the Montreal organization.
The Alouettes had made it the fifth overall pick in the CFL draft in 2014, but Foucault was then hired as a free agent by the Panthers.
"If I had a good offer of the Alouettes on the table, I would sign tomorrow morning, but we do not agree on my value. Certainly, at this stage of my career, I am at a point where what I want most is just playing, "he commented.
The CFL's "Combine", currently in place in Regina, could provide more clues about its future, as all the teams on the circuit are there.
Few signals from the NFL
Since being released by the Panthers after being a member of their training team for most of the 2014 and 2015 seasons, Foucault has been in contact with the Miami Dolphins and the Detroit Lions. However, he did not get a contract from them.
"My American agent continues to work to try to interest me on the NFL side, but at the same time, I have to be realistic. My chances of playing are bigger on the Canadian side.
"Some NFL teams continue to show interest, but they say they prefer to wait after the draft. I do not want to be a number just to allow a team to arrive with its 90 players at the training camp. If I sign in the NFL, it's because I'll see that I have a real chance to break through the lineup, "said the 6'8" and 315 lb. blocker.
At the crossroads
That said, Foucault does not so easily extinguish the flame of the NFL. In the past few weeks, one of his former teammates with the Panthers, blocker Mike Remmers, concluded a five-year deal for 30 million with the Minnesota Vikings. He was previously contracted and thanked by four teams in two years.
"He knew how to persevere and today it pays off. Personally, I still think I can play in this league, but in my situation, I can not hope for a beautiful
offer. It's becoming more and more obvious that if I want to play, I have to look to the CFL. It's a lot of things to manage, it's a stressful period not bad, "concluded the former Carabins of the University of Montreal.
Seminars for young people
Deprived of his passion for many months, David Foucault found the ideal way to plunge into the bath while giving back to the youngest, setting up courses of technique of offensive line.
For a few weeks now, the sympathetic giant has set up the Offensive Line Seminar David Foucault, to give private and semi-private lessons.
The project not only allows him to discuss technology with his learners, but also to share his experience as a rare Québécois who has evolved in the NFL.
"In January, I started training at Athletic Academy. I noticed that some guys were coming to the gym and were asking me some stuff.
"With a few people, it gave us the idea of ​​setting up a camp and we made a week for the under 16s on the offensive line and the defensive line. I liked the experience and I wanted to get started individually, on my own, "he explained.
Good luggage
For Foucault, who took advantage of the opportunity to retype scores of his handwritten notes in the NFL with the Panthers, it was an ideal opportunity to share his baggage with others.
"I see that young people want to learn and beyond technique, it's an opportunity to ask questions about how it's happening on the other side of the NFL. I also made a camp with a member of the Hall of Fame (Jackie Slater) and I can bring unique knowledge to young people. It's my passion and it's in a very friendly environment, "he said.
More details on the Facebook page of the Offensive Line Seminar David Foucault .
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The more I think about this the more I believe moving Olafioye is first and foremost motivated by a desire to change the OL ratio. Savings on the SMS may come out of it but I think that is secondary to what the trade might do for the ratio and the ripple effect in other parts of the depth chart. The potential of Foucault coming the other way would secure the ability of BC to have 4 starting NATs on the OL. That in turn allows for 4 starting INTs at receiver. It could alternatively allow them to start 10 INTs on defence. Either way it would offer flexibility that doesn't exist if they are starting 3 NAT OL. Regardless I believe the motivation is to have all 4 of Arceneaux, Burnham, Williams and Moore starting with Gore and Lumbala sharing the 5th NAT offensive starting slot on the starting roster Wally turns in. To me it's about Jennings' style and abilities and giving him as many weapons as possible to run an explosive and entertaining offence that will hopefully capture the attention of the market at a time when the Canucks and Whitecaps are wallowing around in mediocrity.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:The more I think about this the more I believe moving Olafioye is first and foremost motivated by a desire to change the OL ratio. Savings on the SMS may come out of it but I think that is secondary to what the trade might do for the ratio and the ripple effect in other parts of the depth chart. The potential of Foucault coming the other way would secure the ability of BC to have 4 starting NATs on the OL. That in turn allows for 4 starting INTs at receiver. It could alternatively allow them to start 10 INTs on defence. Either way it would offer flexibility that doesn't exist if they are starting 3 NAT OL. Regardless I believe the motivation is to have all 4 of Arceneaux, Burnham, Williams and Moore starting with Gore and Lumbala sharing the 5th NAT offensive starting slot on the starting roster Wally turns in. To me it's about Jennings' style and abilities and giving him as many weapons as possible to run an explosive and entertaining offence that will hopefully capture the attention of the market at a time when the Canucks and Whitecaps are wallowing around in mediocrity.

Has wally ever given any of the Canadians that come back from NFL to be CFL rookies full starter status playing time right away?
don't they usually understudy for a year and prove to him they can be starters.

If that is the case ,won't steward move out to T until Foucault proves is drastically better option than steward