Jovan leaves the Den. Confirmation on Page 8.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Wally has said that he only wants to start two Internationals on defense this season (as in the past). He has also said that he would like to start a National at field corner. If that scenario happens this season, Kenyan Parker will start at field corner. Buono signed free agent Matt Bucknor to bolster National talent at field corner.

Should we start a National field corner, that would mean we only need to have one other National on the field on defense. The big question would be what other position would we utilize for that National.

If we go with Edem at safety, we don't need to be starting a National on the defensive line. Instead we could use a second International tackle. But we could also go with an International safety instead and have a National starter on the defensive line at all times. That could be rotating National, such as Forde, Menard, Ainsworth, a National defensive lineman chosen in this year's draft.

But my guess, even though his play last year was anything but stellar, we will go with Edem again at free safety. Calgary uses an International at safety (Bell) whereas the Bombers use a National at the position now (Loffler). It would be interesting to look at the other CFL teams and see who is using an International at the position and which teams are using a National free safety.
Last year, the Lions often took Edem off the field in certain situations, which is rare for a safety. I can see more of a rotational role for him this year if Parker or Bucknor play field corner and any of Menard, Forde or Ainsworth get regular reps on the D-line.
Blitz
Team Captain

It will be interesting to see who ends up playing right tackle for our Leos this 2017 season. Last year, we started the season with Antonio Johnson, with free agent Levy Adcock injured at training camp. Adcock came highly recommended by Dan Dorazio, who coached him in Regina the season before.

Adcock's signing led to our Leos moving Olifioye to left tackle, as Adcock was a right tackle. Adcock started a few games in mid-season and was a disaster. Antonio Johnson returned to the starting lineup for the remainder of 2016.

This season, Johnson will have competition for his right tackle spot from Adrien Bellard, a 325 pounder who played his college ball at Texas State, Vincent Brown, who started one game for the Als last season and was thrown in as a piece of the Olifioye trade, Nate Isles, a 324 pound tackle who was on the Seattle Seahawks p, wractice roster in 2014, made the Montreal Als practice roster last year, out of training camp before being released, Kelvin Palmer, an undersized 290 pounder who played one game for us last season after coming off the practice roster.

None of them jumps out as having the potential CFL of being a future CFL All-Star. Antonio Johnson looks like the leading candidate going into training camp, with Nate Isles and Adrien Bellard having the best shots at unseeding him.

Olifioye was deemed to expensive after Buono's off-season signings to go back to his right tackle spot, with Buono wanting to play four Nationals and desiring more National offensife line depth to do so. Facault has excellent potential but at this point either Steward, Fabian, Husband, or Vaillencourt don't start or Facacult becomes an extra depth lineman.

But getting back to the right tackle position, which incumbent Antonio Johnson hopes to hold onto, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for any of the Leo candidates for that position to achieve what Jovan Olifioye was able to. Mike Beamish called him Captain ZeroFor seven seasons, he was the B.C. Lions’ Zero Hero.
Since arriving in the Canadian Football League in 2010, Jovan Olafioye has missed zero games, zero practices and, in selected seasons, surrendered zero sacks.

It’s an amazing record of durability, longevity and sustained excellence for the league’s most outstanding lineman (2012), a six-time All-CFL selection who plays in the wrecking yard known as the offensive line.
Dan Dorazio ranks Olifioye with the best of them.
Starting his 45th year in coaching, his 19th in the CFL and 14th with the Lions, Dorazio says Olafioye is situated “at the pinnacle” with Fred (The Big Chill) Childress, the CFL’s top lineman in 1998 with Calgary, and Rob Murphy, a two-time league award winner with the Lions, among outstanding linemen he’s worked with.
Its going to feel strange to begin this season, not seeing Olifoye breaking the huddle and setting up in his stance before the snap of the football.

Shocked Lion Jovan Olafioye packs for move to Alouettes
Mike Beamish

For seven seasons, he was the B.C. Lions’ Zero Hero.

Since arriving in the Canadian Football League in 2010, Jovan Olafioye has missed zero games, zero practices and, in selected seasons, surrendered zero sacks.

It’s an amazing record of durability, longevity and sustained excellence for the league’s most outstanding lineman (2012), a six-time All-CFL selection who plays in the wrecking yard known as the offensive line.

“Offensive lineman are like cattle,” Olafioye says. “You just keep moving with the herd. It’s a grind. Even though there were times I wanted to miss practice, I fought through the pain. Dan Dorazio (offensive line coach) likes guys who are tough. I wanted to show Dan I was tough. So, I just kept moving.”

Today, one of the greatest linemen in Lions’ history is moving on and headed to Brownstown, Mich., a quiet suburb down river from Detroit, his hometown. There, he hopes to settle into a new home with his fiancée and three-year-old daughter and begin preparing for a new life with the Montreal Alouettes.

Before Olafioye was traded to the Als for Canadian tackle David Foucault and import lineman Vincent Brown, he expected to attend Friday’s Orange Helmet Awards dinner at the Westin Bayshore, the Lions’ annual salute to developmental football in B.C. Olafioye had spent most of the winter here, training at the team’s facility in Surrey, while starting a second career doing promotional work for Porsche of Langley.

Olafioye admits he’s still in shock about the trade, ostensibly a salary dump by the Lions. He was aware of the rumours on Twitter. He contacted his agent, Dan Vertlieb, to check out the buzz.

According to Olafioye, Lions’ GM Wally Buono told him he was quoted inaccurately in a speculated report. But there was no outright denial from Buono that a trade might happen.

“I was shocked, like everybody,” Olafioye says. “I’ve always been a good pro. I never cause anybody any problems. I’m very respectful. I went to work every day and did what I had to do. Me, I don’t understand it.

“I don’t see how you can trade a franchise left tackle, one of the league’s most consistent players for seven seasons, who never missed a game. I really don’t understand Wally’s decision. But I still have a lot of respect for the man.”

A second Michigander, Flint native Mose Rison, is almost as perplexed. The retired head coach from North Carolina Central convinced the player to switch to the offensive line from the defensive line, telling Olafioye that was his best hope if he “wanted to play at the next level.”

Olafioye transferred to NCCU,  from Grand Rapids Junior College, in 2007 for his junior and senior years.

“He was reluctant at first,” Rison says. “I told him he would grow out of the position (D-line) if he didn’t make the move then. It was without question the right move. He’s strong, physical, with great feet, all the attributes you look for in an offensive lineman. Jovan is an outstanding football player.

“Even more so, he’s an outstanding person. I’m not surprised by what he’s been able to do in the CFL. But I’m shocked, like everybody else, that he was traded. He made B.C. sound like a place where he would complete his career.”

While it’s difficult to believe a 6-6, 325-pound man could fall between the cracks, Olafioye did just that in the eyes of the NFL, Rison says. During his time at NCCU, the school was transitioning from NCAA Division II to 1-AA. The coach suggests Olafioye was missed through a “lack of awareness” by the NFL, a situation which would never happen today because scouting is more encompassing than it was even eight years ago.

“How does a good player get away like that? It just doesn’t happen anymore,” Rison says. “Jovan needed to go to the CFL to show the NFL what it missed.” (St. Louis Rams wanted to sign Olafioye in 2012, but they withdrew the offer, after he neglected meds for an irregular heartbeat and failed his physical.)

Starting his 45th year in coaching, his 19th in the CFL and 14th with the Lions, Dorazio says Olafioye is situated “at the pinnacle” with Fred (The Big Chill) Childress, the CFL’s top lineman in 1998 with Calgary, and Rob Murphy, a two-time league award winner with the Lions, among outstanding linemen he’s worked with.

“There’s a business side to football, I realize that,” Dorazio says. “And there’s a human element to it, too. You grow close to all your guys over a period of time.

“Jovan’s athletic ability and his character just stood out when he first began with us. He was that way to the end. He was special. The years I got to work with Jovan — you can’t put a price tag on that.”

If they put enough zeros on the price tag … well, that can mean something else entirely.

mbeamish@postmedia.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If Foucalt can play RT and shows better than Antonio Johnson et al at TC, then I would like to see the Lions go with 5 starting Olineman. Foucalt could be the 8th starting NAT with an INT tackle on the practice roster.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:If Foucalt can play RT and shows better than Antonio Johnson et al at TC, then I would like to see the Lions go with 5 starting Olineman. Foucalt could be the 8th starting NAT with an INT tackle on the practice roster.
The Lions don't have any experienced national depth, so they're probably at least a year away from considering starting five nationals. Assuming Steward moves to LT and Vaillancourt starts at guard, the only backup national linemen on the roster are converted SFU DL Quinn Horton and UBC free agents Jas Dhillon and Alec Pennell, plus anyone they draft this year. Their starters are already young and inexperienced. Collectively, all the O-linemen on the 2017 roster have fewer CFL starts (111) than the departed Jovan Olafioye (126). To start five young nationals on the OL, they would need two versatile national backups who could confidently fill in at centre, guard or tackle. They don't have that, and they're not likely to get it by June.

(EDITED to include number of starts for current O-linemen on the roster and Olafioye)
Blitz
Team Captain

The Jovan Oliifioye trade for David Facult was an attention getter this off-season.

Trading Olifioye, who had played 7 seasons for our Leos, had been a CFL All-Star each season as a Leo, had never been injured, and never even gave up a quarterback sack during some seasons came as a shock to Leo fans, as well as Olifioye himself.

It was a salary dump for sure but the trade was also justified by Wally, who said trading Olifioye would also enable him to start 4 Nationals on the offensive line and the trade for Facault was initially viewed as Wally trading for a backup National left tackle, with Steward and Facault competing for the position.

But it was learned after the trade, that Wally had initially gone after Phillippe Gagnon, a guard who had been a high draft choice (2nd overall) by Montreal.

However, the fact that Facault had also been a high draft choice by Montreal (5th overall), played in the NFL, was a National, and could play left tackle softened the blow of losing Olifioye.

There has been a lof of focus on what Olifioye has meant to our Leos, the high draft status of Facault, and his NFL pedigree. So I thought it might be a good idea to have a closer look at David Facault and what he could offer our Leos in the future.

Kavis Reed did not see Facault as a starter in 2017 and would not offer Facault a starters salary. Was Reed right or wrong?

David Facault was signed by Carolina as an undrafted free agent. Carolina had a depleted offensive line and Facault figured he had a shot. The Panthers had one major weakness and it was at offensive tackle.  The Panters need to beef up their offensive line was two-fold. Facault added depth and also ensured the Panthers would not have to convert another defensive lineman. Carolina only drafted one lineman that season and it was a guard.

Foucault got to start one game for Carolina as a rookie at left tackle but struggled, allowing two sacks, a quarterback hit and six more hurries on the day.   It wasn’t a performance that inspired confidence and he never started again. But Facault was rushed into that start too early, due to a string of Injuries and the Panthers lack of depth at offensive line.

The Panthers were patient in trying to develop Facault. Panters GM Dave Gettlema said “you can’t coach size,” and Foucault had that rare size, standing at 6 foot 8 inches tall and weighing in at 320 pounds. It was the reason the Panthers changed their mind about putting Facault on the practice roster and instead changed their minds and put him on their 53 man roster in 2014. The Panthers lacked offensive tackle depth and liked Facault's potential. But with three seasons at Carolina as a depth lineman and with Carolina shoring up the tackle position with other players, Facault was released and other NFL teams were not interested.

But still, he managed to get NFL experience and excellent line coaching for three seasons.

Facault is not only tall and strong but he is also considered a mauler with a nasty streak. He played both left tackle and right guard at the University of Montreal. Facault has a huge wing span, which is ideal for the offensive tackle position.

There is no question that Facault was one of the best offensive lineman available for the 2014 draft, along with Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Pierre Lavertu, and Matthias Goosen. Facault was ranked 2nd overall going into the draft.

At the 2014 Combine, Foucault was bull rushed and run over by Dylan Ainsworth and lost at least two other reps to Ainsworth, a swim move to the inside, and another being a rip to the outside but overall Facault still showed the footwork and athleticism that enabled him to continue to be viewed as a 2014 Top Pick.

Calgary had first choice in the 2014 CFL draft and chose Pierre Lavurtu. Calgary (from Ottawa). Winnipeg then chose Matthias Goossen. With Toronto chosoing a running back and Ottawa selecting a defensive back, Montreal selecting 5th, chose Facault as the third offensive lineman taken in the first five spots.

The most interesting thing about the 2014 CFL draft is that Montreal, selecting 5th was the position our Leos had in the draft had we not traded our first round draft choice to Ottawa for Kevin Glenn. Ottawa then traded that draft selection to Montreal in an exchange of draft selections.

Its not easy for a Canadian offensive lineman who has spent his college career with defensive lineman playing one yard back of the line of scrimmage to adapt to the NFL version of the game. But Facault's NFL experience will have helped him with his quickness as he comes back to play the CFL game.

Facault, like Steward, is a natural tackle. His height, size, and long arms are assets for the position. Could we move Facault to guard if we neeed to? Yes. Some offensive tackles are converted to guards. The transition is a difficult one, as its a very different position. Its even more difficult if the player does not have the body type to play guard. Steward did an amazing job converting to guard last year, as Olifioye did an amazing job of converting to left tackle from right tackle.

But most likely, Facault will compete for the tackle position. While Wally may be tempted to make the trade for Olfioye look good and start Facault at left tackle, he would do so by having to sit Steward or put Steward back at left guard. Its not a move that would surprise me. That move would mean either sitting Fabian or Vaillencourt. But Wally may also not have plans to sign Steward at the end of this season, who is only on a one year contract. Steward, who can now play tackle or guard will be very coveted as a free agent, unless signed before the end of this season.

A player that I see really improving this season is Jas Dhillon. Dhillon began his college career on the defensive line at UBC but was converted to offensive line. In 2013, Dhillon, playing guard, was named First Team CIS All-Canadian. Dhillon has done very well as an offensive lineman, when one considers his lack of experience at the position.

This 2017 CFL draft will also impact our offensive line, depending on whether we draft an offensive lineman with one of our first three picks.

But all in all, it shakes up into an interesting training camp, with four former first round draft choices in Steward, Kirby Fabian, James Vaillencourt, and David Facault as part of our offensive line roster. We haven't had this level of National talent in a long time.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
DanoT wrote:If Foucalt can play RT and shows better than Antonio Johnson et al at TC, then I would like to see the Lions go with 5 starting Olineman. Foucalt could be the 8th starting NAT with an INT tackle on the practice roster.
The Lions don't have any experienced national depth, so they're probably at least a year away from considering starting five nationals. Assuming Steward moves to LT and Vaillancourt starts at guard, the only backup national linemen on the roster are converted SFU DL Quinn Horton and UBC free agents Jas Dhillon and Alec Pennell, plus anyone they draft this year. Their starters are already young and inexperienced. Collectively, all the O-linemen on the 2017 roster have fewer CFL starts than the departed Jovan Olafioye. To start five young nationals on the OL, they would need two versatile national backups who could confidently fill in at centre, guard or tackle. They don't have that, and they're not likely to get it by June.
When teams are planning their ratio deployment they are just asking for trouble if they don't have all the pieces to support their ratio plan in place by now. The simplest question to ask is if the Lions went with a starting OL of Steward (LT), Vaillancourt (RT), Husband (C), Fabien (RG) and Foucault (RT) who are their respective backups and how does the OL and subsequently ratio get impacted and juggled should one of them go down? One injury could lead to a shuffling of positions by more than 1 of the remaining starters. What if a second starter of those 5 goes down?

They can't count on the draft because they don't know if they will get somebody capable of jumping into a starting role immediately if injuries forced the need to maintain the ratio. If Wally commits to 5 NAT OL now he pretty much paints himself into a corner on draft day. He'd have to take the best OT prospect available with his first pick regardless of who he has at the top of his board. I think Gray will already be gone before BC's #3 spot. If Winnipeg doesn't take the hometown kid Gray then the Riders will gobble him up. Winnipeg and Saskatchewan both need more top end OL depth, Riders especially. They have a perennial all-star in Labatte and a developing St.John. After that though it's journeymen Clark and Vonk and rolling the dice on the fragile Dillon Guy and 30 year old FA signing Ryan White, he of 2 career starts in Montreal. With Gray off the board if BC wanted to go with 5 NAT starters they would be forced to skip over one of the DL prospects to take the likes of Woods or Bladek at #3 because there's no guarantee either would still be there at #7.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

IF Foucault & Steward win the starting OT jobs with good camps, why could they not have an import O-lineman on the roster as a back-up, if the young NIs available (including a possible draft pick from a deep crop this year) are deemed not really capable ? That guy also possibly be a DI, and if he has to enter the game, then they would have to maybe switch a NI receiver or tailback for an import starter there. Seems quite feasable IMO.

When you lose any starter to injury, a back-up has to go in. Most back-ups in the CFL are Nationals anyways, but it does not have to be that way for every position. The constant CFL "ratio problem" fretting about National depth is way over-stated often IMO. If Arcenaux or Burnham go down at receiver or Sol-E at MLB - even if you have an extra import on the roster to replace them, guy is still a back-up and not going to be as good as the starter. Injuries happen, back-ups have to go in, but the assumption/worry that it will be this huge drop-off if it is a Canadian is a CFL cliche IMO.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

OV - 54:40 wrote:IF Foucault & Steward win the starting OT jobs with good camps, why could they not have an import O-lineman on the roster as a back-up, if the young NIs available (including a possible draft pick from a deep crop this year) are deemed not really capable ? That guy also possibly be a DI, and if he has to enter the game, then they would have to maybe switch a NI receiver or tailback for an import starter there. Seems quite feasable IMO.

When you lose any starter to injury, a back-up has to go in. Most back-ups in the CFL are Nationals anyways, but it does not have to be that way for every position. The constant CFL "ratio problem" fretting about National depth is way over-stated often IMO. If Arcenaux or Burnham go down at receiver or Sol-E at MLB - even if you have an extra import on the roster to replace them, guy is still a back-up and not going to be as good as the starter. Injuries happen, back-ups have to go in, but the assumption/worry that it will be this huge drop-off if it is a Canadian is a CFL cliche IMO.
I agree, and what I am speculating is that Foucalt and Hunter win starting tackle spots in TC and are backed up by a INT. who could be a practice roster guy. For an injury during a game, one of the guards shifts to tackle and Lumbala comes into the game to double team the DE if the temporary backup tackle struggles.

In addition, the 5th starting NAT Olineman can also be the 8th sarting NAT. So, that would still mean one NAT WR, one NAT Field Corner, one NAT Free Safety. Plus Menard and Forde can be platooned so one is on the field at all times. Now that Bighill is no longer a Lion it is likely that coach Washington will replace him with more of a nickelback pass defender type LB, so on short yardage Arakagi can come in, further enhancing the ratio depth.

OR Wally could just pull a Chris Jones and just ignore the whole ratio thing and hope the refs miss it again. :wink:
Qman
Champion

OV - 54:40 wrote:IF Foucault & Steward win the starting OT jobs with good camps, why could they not have an import O-lineman on the roster as a back-up, if the young NIs available (including a possible draft pick from a deep crop this year) are deemed not really capable ? That guy also possibly be a DI, and if he has to enter the game, then they would have to maybe switch a NI receiver or tailback for an import starter there. Seems quite feasable IMO.

Issue isn't in-game, its during the season. There is a massive drop off going cdn T to backup cdn T, versus US T to backup US T (usually small drop off). Plus the backup US T is on PR making nothing probably 60k if on roster.

As well, Cdn Offensive lineman are so expensive to carry under the cap. Your better of using a 100k Cdn WR or 140 cdn DT as 7th cdn instead of a 200k cdn T. plus the US tackle is only making 100k, his backup is on PR making nothing.
Champion

Qman wrote:

Issue isn't in-game, its during the season. There is a massive drop off going cdn T to backup cdn T, versus US T to backup US T (usually small drop off). Plus the backup US T is on PR making nothing probably 60k if on roster.

As well, Cdn Offensive lineman are so expensive to carry under the cap. Your better of using a 100k Cdn WR or 140 cdn DT as 7th cdn instead of a 200k cdn T. plus the US tackle is only making 100k, his backup is on PR making nothing.

Another cliched CFL generalization - NI O-linemen or other starters are making small fortunes, and conversely there are tons of superstar imports sitting around willing to play for CFL minimum wage = hogwash. Olifayoe is making more than Foucault or Steward. And the majority of a CFL team's $M$ goes to import players, not NIs.
Blitz
Team Captain

Just for fun, lets say we did want to go with five Nationals on the offensive line and we did it this way.

LT: Steward
LG: Fabian
C: Husband
RG: Vaillencourt
RT: Facoult

We have Jas Dhillon and Alex Pennell (6'7", 315 pounds) backing up the National center and guard spots. What we would need is a backup National tackle from this year's draft or develop Dhillon or Pennell at right tackle.

If Steward suffered an injury we would switch Facault to left tackle, where he has practiced and played at college and with Carolina. That would mean we would have to either insert a National right tackle or go with an International right tackle and change the ratio. If Facault suffered an injury we would have to replace him with either a National or an International. Jas Dhillon or Pennell could potentially step in there or we could draft a National tackle.

We draft at #3 and #7. If we took a defensive lineman at #3, there are some very good offensive lineman that should be available at #7. Potential players that could still be on the board are Mason Woods, Quardr Spooner, Braden Schram, and Dariuz Bladek.

There will be be defensive tackles and offensive tackles left at #16. Not all teams are going to draft linemen with their first choice.

If we felt that we did not have a National who could play well enough at right tackle, due to a longer term injury, then we would have to substitute an International. What would that mean? We'd have to go with 3 International receivers for that time. Its not as if we havent' done that in the past. Instead of Gore and Iannuzzi (5th receiver) it would have to be Iannuzzi and Adekolu along with Manny, Burnham, and Williams.

Wally's hand wringing about not having a National backup, when starting a National is over done. He constantly fretted about starting Andrew Harris because he didn't like a National starting tailback because of the lack of quality National backup. He didn't want to start Steward at left tackle last year so he moved Olifioye there and moved Steward to guard - two positional changes - Steward had never played guard and it was a huge switch for Olifioye to play the left side. The reason: no National backup for Steward.

Other teams don't fret this much. Calgary went with a National starting tailback in Messam last year. Winnipeg did the same with Andrew Harris. Both were CFL All-Stars and you never heard a peep out of Hufnagel or Walters about playing a National at the position - they saw it as an advantage. Calgary started four Nationals on the offensive line in 2016. They had a mass of injuries to their offensive line and yet they didn't miss a beat - protecting their quarterback better than anyone in the CFL and opening holes for their running attack. Montreal started 5 National offensive lineman for years. Popp never worried himself sick about doing so. But Wally worries himself sick about trying a 35 yard field goal and would often prefer to punt from that range (and not just when Leone is our kicker).

I agree with OV. There is no reason why we could not go with 5 Nationals on the offensive line this season, with a smart draft of an offensive lineman with one of our three early picks. Calgary, by starting 5 Nationals on offence (4 National offensive linemen and a National tailback) give themselves ratio advantages. Montreal did the same for many years under Trestman.

Will we do it? Nope. If Facault is really good, for 2017, we will end up using a first round draft choice, quality offensive lineman in either Steward, Fabian, Vaillencourt, or Facault as a backup. That makes less sense than using them as starters and developing a backup National tackle should one of them get injured or changing the ratio should one of them get injured.
David
Team Captain

Some interesting details today from 3 Down Nation's Justin Dunk on Foucault's contract with the Leos HERE.

"Recently-acquired Canadian offensive lineman David Foucault signed a three-year contract with the BC Lions last Tuesday.

The 28-year-old received a $25,000 signing bonus as part of his 2017 deal that totals $97,000 with $18,000 in possible playtime bonuses. 2018 includes a raise to $117,000 in “hard” money and again $18,000 in available playtime bonuses while 2019 is structured that exact same way.

Lions general manager Wally Buono landed the Canuck blocker by trading six-time CFL all-star American tackle Jovan Olafioye to Montreal.

Foucault was drafted in the first round, fifth overall by the Alouettes during the 2014 CFL draft. He spent 2014 and 2015 with the Carolina Panthers, seeing action in five games and starting one, before he was waived in August 2016."

Obviously a significant cost saving for the club over Olafioye's deal, but what this essentially comes down to is this: Is the pain of losing an all-CFL left tackle offset by saving roughly $100K on a tackle who gives us National depth, roster flexibility, and cap space (i.e. allowed us to sign Williams at WR). I guess we're about to find out!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This fan would call this steps in the process of the Lions move towards starting NAT OL tackles (or at least one NAT OL tackle).

Steward was the start. I expect he surprised Wally and Dan in some respects. He was very, very solid at left tackle prior to his injury.

Wally has shown some reluctance to start NATs at certain positions. OL tackle. Running back, until Andrew Harris forced his way into the starting lineup. Linebacker. Possibly cornerback, until Keynan Parker showed some possibilities there. Some reluctance with the DL. Brent Johnson could not be denied, ultimately. But it seemed he had to wait a while. He was drafted by us in 2000. By 2003, when this fan started attending practice, when possible, he was still languishing on the bench. By 2004 he was a breakout talent. All Star in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010. Westerman and Menard have been big contributors on the DL.

So it seems to this fan that Wally has his somewhat selective ideas on which positions suit NATs as starters. OL guard and centre, Receiver, DL to some extent, Safety. RB with Harris. FB. Possibly cornerback with Parker. Lokombo got some reps at Linebacker.

With NATs at OL tackle, it opens up the ratio game for us big time. We need more depth there. Foucault helps a lot. IMO we need to draft at least one OL in this bumper crop of a draft year. And we need to draft at least one DL. Three linemen at least. OL and DL are positions where NATs can fit in very well as productive players.

I agree with those that say complying with the ratio is not all that tough these days. Lots of NAT talent. And to this fan, OL and DL are two places that we should draft for each and every year. Extremely high priority. If we have at least 4 NATs starting in the OL, and one in the DL, the ratio becomes easy to manage, with quality play across the board. Focus on the hogs. Such a focus would also allow us flexibility in the lineup, rotations, substitutions, especially on defence, as a strategy.

Nationals can play and start at every position, IMO. The one place where they might not get a chance these days is quarterback. That is a tough gig to crack for NATs. Could they play there? Sure. But the International talent pool is so huge, and the competition they get is so good, it is tough to think that NATs would get the chance nowadays. Not lack of talent, but college training, college competition and the number of INTs that are available. IMO ...

Just IMO. Some will see the evolution of Wally's approach to Nationals and the ratio differently. And they might be right.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
“Under the tutelage of Richard (Harris), Brent had to work his way up the depth chart,” Doug Brown said. “That’s why I have such respect for Brent. I came into this league as a starter. Brent had to establish himself first, at a traditionally American position [defensive end]. He was pioneer in that respect. Coaches didn’t necessarily think Canadians were on a par with Americans. With the work he did and the accolades he received, Brent changed that. He’s the gold standard for Canadian defensive linemen.”
Nice article on Brent Johnson. Weight loss down from his playing weight of 265? Yup. He was barely recognizeable, visiting at practice a few years ago. Very slim and trim, suit and tie, businesslike.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Champion

Agreed with Blitz & WCJ here - the Lions have some very good NI talent and are poised well to add to it this draft. And also on the Wally attitude issue there.

Possible starters: maybe 5 on the O-line, if Steward & Foucault pan out well in TC at OT; at least one receiver - one of Iannuzzi, Adekolu, Blaszko, Shaq Johnson surely should be able to hold down one job in the 5 pack (the latter 3 in particular IMO); on defence: 3 safeties to chose from between Edem, Thompson & vet Fraser; maybe a corner - Parker (flashed the talent last season) or Bucknor (plenty of CFL starting experience there); Menard at DE (excellent strength + motor to play some reps at DT too) or Forde at DT/ DE (his position in US college ball), plus maybe use the top pick on one of the good & deep DT crop this draft (could also draft another DE, but Ainsworth is there too) = should be able to have at least one NI on the field on the D-line at all times; maybe 2 - D-line rotation is a good CFL tactic lately and Ottawa just won the GC playing 4 NIs in their D-line rotation a lot of the time.

Now, there might be plenty of import talent that really steps up in TC to claim some of those starting positons - on the O-line; at corner; maybe 2 very good DTs AND two very good DEs; maybe able to go all import at receiver in the 5 pack ? But having Canadian talent compete at all spots where there is not proven, established talent, and maybe they claim playing time, can only be a good idea IMO. Real TC competition - maybe only the minimum 7 NIs step-up, but maybe more like 8 or 9 with a strong draft to provide competition at open spots, plus depth. Not sure Wally will see it that way if he defers to 7 NIs only "thinking?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:Real TC competition - maybe only the minimum 7 NIs step-up, but maybe more like 8 or 9 with a strong draft to provide competition at open spots, plus depth. Not sure Wally will see it that way if he defers to 7 NIs only "thinking?
There's no doubt the Lions have decent national depth at most positions, other than the O-line. But don't expect much training camp competition. Wally sets his starting lineup and depth chart in the offseason. Training camp is mainly for teaching and for filling the final spots on special teams. It's too short for much else, with a maximum of seven two-a-days and limited contact allowed before the first preseason game in Calgary. It usually takes four or five weeks of the regular season before any significant roster shuffling takes place.