Jovan leaves the Den. Confirmation on Page 8.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

I was fortunate to meet Jovan last year at the locker room sale. Unfortunately it was the first and only time I got to meet him as a Leo; never for a second did I consider that a potentiality.
It was very much a pleasure chatting with him. Certainly comes across as a humble, genuine and understated gentleman. I shared with him my favourite memory from last season, namely his touchdown against the Riders. The pure joy he showed was a massive highlight and I watched it over and over again. It obviously was special for him as his face lit up at the memory of it and he spoke of how he hoped the coaching staff would draw up another play this upcoming year where he could get his 2nd.

I hope JC gives him that chance.

I hope Wally treated the big man with respect and did his best to mitigate the sting of being traded. According to LU it seems the attempt was made at least; it is what Jovan deserves. After all, this is the guy who said he would walk through walls for Wally.
Blitz
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:I don't know that signing Williams necessarily cost us Olafioye. IIRC his contract this year is relatively low, and it's next season where he sees a huge raise.

Also, I completely disagree with not wanting to sign Waters. In fact I find that comment laughable. With how awful our field goal kicking has been, signing a big powerful leg like Waters who can do all 3 kicking duties addresses a big need. We can't fford to keep leaving points on the board, and having a kicker who can confidently hit from beyond 50 is something we haven't really had in a long time.

It sucks losing Olafioye. I've been a big fan of his for a long time, and he was our rock on the O-line. I just pray that Dorazio had nothing to do with the guys we targeted in this deal.
Williams alone did not cost us Olifioye nor did any one free agent signing. But even though Williams contract is lower in the first season its not cheap by any means. Ottawa wouldn't pay it. But if you add up the cost of signing Williams, Waters, as well as vets as Iannuzzi and Moore, along with free agents as Buddy Jackson, Tony Burnett, DeQuin Evans, Dylan Ainsworth, and Matt Bucknor, then things got expensive. I agree with signing Waters, can see the positive in Williams (and the risk) but signing Buddy Jackson, Tony Burnett, Dequin Evans, and Matt Bucknor as free agents are question marks that also edged us up against the SMS.

I have no problem with us signing Waters for this season. We didn't have a lot of choice because of the situation we had gotten ourselves into. I *beeotch* enough last season about Leone's field goal kicking and how much that cost us and his excellent punting did not make up for it. My concern was that we had to outbid Hamilton for Waters in the first place and should have had a National field goal kicker in place. Most teams have a National field goal kicker and a good one.

Have a look at last season's National field goal kickers: Shawn Whyte (45/48, 93.8%), Parades (56/64, 87.5%), Hajrullahu 37/42 (88.1%), Maher (41/50, 82%), Crapigna (35/42, 85.7%), Milo (47/55, 81%). Leone hit on only 68.6% of his field goals, only made 8 field goals between 40-49 yds. and had to be replaced by McCallum at the end of the season. The two year experiment with Leone cost us games, did't give us close to what we needed, and he is gone two seasons later, while we didn't develop a National. So with a good team in place for 2017, with no National on the roster ready to step in, we needed to sign an experienced kicker like Waters. But he cost us. Waters has a CFL field goal kicking average of 79.5 %, lower than the National kickers listed above's average. Waters is a very good punter.

I think its good that Wally wants to go with four Nationals on the offensive line. Steward is a stud, a natural left tackle, with amazing athleticism, long arms, etc. Vaillencourt is a first round draft choice who many thought would be the first choice of the 2016 draft. He was considered the most pro ready. He needs to play. He started last season's first two games and had a hell of a training camp before getting hurt. I would love to see us play five Nationals if we could.

But if we want to beat Calgary (and Rammer mentioned that was what Wally said we needed to do) trading Olifioye for Facault is not going to get that done. Calgary's greatest strength is its offensive line...both in terms of size, talent, coaching, and depth. They started 11 different offensive linemen last season. Bo Levi Mitchell was by far the least sacked quarterback last season. Calgary protects Bo Levi so well he could eat dinner in the pocket at times and still throw the football.

If Wally really wants to beat Calgary the key is that our Leos coaching has to improve. We beat Calgary at home in our season opener and almost beat them and were leading them badly in their own stadium in the second game. In the third game and the WDF, they badly kicked our ass on both offence and defence. The talent of both teams basically stayed the same. But the pre-game scouting, thegame plans, the coaching, the in -game adjustments all favored Calgary as the season progressed.

While we bombed away with an exciting passing attack, Calgary's passing attack can beat a defence in so many ways. They can beat you deep, over the middle, in the short passing attack, screen game etc. etc. They dissected our defense in the last two games of last season. Their defense had our offence so well scouted and they were so prepared for what we wanted to do.

The biggest difference between Calgary and B.C. is not talent. Playing an extra National on the offensive line and starting an International receiver will not be enough. Calgary has very good players, no question about it. But the biggest differences between Calgary and B.C. is their offensive and defensive lines and their coaching. Calgary protects their quarterback better, they can get good pressure without blitzing with their defensive line, and they are much superior to us in the x and o's of the game.

In order to beat them we have to win the trenches and by at least match them in the coaching department. That didn't happen last season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: What really has me scratching my head WCJ is that, unlike Montreal, we do not have Facault committed to a contract with us prior to the trade.
Hopefully, Wally gets that done, Blitz. It might relieve the headache somewhat. LOL

Who knows? The OL might be fine this year. But we certainly did not want to lose one of the all time Lions in his prime.

Along with other fans on here, I had the privilege to meet Jovan and chat. Best wishes. :thup:

The Alouettes win "the trade," such as it is.

Wally has made many assertive personnel moves this off-season. This one is unfortunate. No one rooting for the Lions, or associated with the Lions, wanted Jovan to leave. Wally felt he had to make the move, it would seem, from my point of view, in an effort to comply with the SMS.

Is Jacques smiling? LOL Yes. You bet. Enjoy, Jacques. You guys now have our former Rock of Gibraltar.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Blitz wrote: What really has me scratching my head WCJ is that, unlike Montreal, we do not have Facault committed to a contract with us prior to the trade.
Hopefully, Wally gets that done, Blitz. It might relieve the headache somewhat. LOL

Who knows? The OL might be fine this year. But we certainly did not want to lose one of the all time Lions in his prime.

Along with other fans on here, I had the privilege to meet Jovan and chat. Best wishes. :thup:

The Alouettes win "the trade," such as it is.

Wally has made many assertive personnel moves this off-season. This one is unfortunate. No one rooting for the Lions, or associated with the Lions, wanted Jovan to leave. Wally felt he had to make the move, it would seem, from my point of view, in an effort to comply with the SMS.

Is Jacques smiling? LOL Yes. You bet. Enjoy, Jacques. You guys now have our former Rock of Gibraltar.

Just IMO ...
Ullrich thinks Kavis Reed completely Fleeced Wally
There was considerable rejoicing when the B.C. Lions scored a major win with their free agent signings of Chris Williams and Swayze Waters but it appears that move has come at a price, in the form of six-time all-star offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye.

That’s not necessarily the viewpoint of the Lions, but Olafioye is now a member of the Montreal Alouettes and the surface optics of the trade that sent the six-time CFL all-star packing would suggest a complete fleecing of Wally Buono by his rookie general manager counterpart, Kavis Reed.

In exchange for the import tackle, the Lions receive the rights to non-import offensive lineman David Foucault, who has made but one pro start and played five games overall in the NFL with the Carolina Panthers since he was taken fifth overall by the Als in the 2014 Canadian college draft.

The 6’8”, 305-pounder hasn’t played in more than a year and is unsigned. If Foucault, 28, does agree to play in the CFL, the Lions will send another player to Montreal. B.C. also receives practice roster import offensive lineman Vincent Brown to complete the transaction.

For weeks the move to send Olafioye away had been billed as a trade but in reality stemmed from Buono’s reluctance to pay the 29-year-old what was in his contract. That’s not exactly an unfamiliar theme.

Off-season moves by Buono have always included the removal of at least one veteran player before their due date and the coach/GM of the Lions kept his streak intact earlier in the winter by cutting defensive back Ryan Phillips when the 12-year veteran couldn’t agree to a restructured deal. Money also cost Buono linebacker Adam Bighill when the option window created by the general manager by asking for a pay cut in 2016 turned into a three-year futures deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Lowell Ullrich

Its more than an interesting move and one I don't think us Leo die hard fans anticipated. Its always tough for a Leos fans to say goodbye to a player who has given the franchise their all and made a significant contribution over a long period of time. Olifioye's six CFL All-Stars in a row are not easy to say goodbye to and his character and his loyalty create an emotional response as well. We identify with our Leo players and I was a fan of Olifiioye.

But I was also a fan of Jason Clermont, Dante Marsh, Ryan Phillips, Korey Banks, etc. But its easier when you know they are close if not past their best due date. Its a bit more difficult when one realizes that Olifioye is still young for an offensive lineman and that he is also an iron man in that he doesn't get hurt (and most offensive linemen do - Calgary had 12 different offensive linemen in the trenches for them last year.

At the same time one has to attempt to look at a trade as non-emotionally as possible and I have tried to do that. I wish we had not signed some free agents and gone into this season with four Nationals and also Olifioye at right tackle, with Steward at left tackle. We could have done that but the SMS dictated that someone's salary had to be reduced. Wally's choice was Olifoye. But I don'[t think we needed to be in the position of having to reduce Olifioye's salary. Lulay's salary is too high for a backup for starters ( I don't guess you will like that comment WCJ but I say it without emotion.

But even keeping Lulay's salary as it is, we could have signed cheaper players than signing free agents as Buddy Jackson, Tony Burnett, DeQuin Evans, Dylan Ainsworth, and Matt Bucknor, who cost against the SMS as well as signed up Leo vet Marco Iannuzzi again as a receiver and we also have Nick Moore against the SMS. Burnett was released by Winnipeg, Buddy Jackson by both the Stamps and the Riders, Evans only started a few games for the Stamps before being released and was not in Montreal's plans, and Bucknor was dumped by Winnipeg. Nick Moore is a more expensive vet as is Iannuzzi. Free agents are expensive.

I don't think our Leos have done as good a job as teams like the Stamps of bringing in new players and making a fairly quick impact. Yes, we've had some, like a Jennings, whom Tedford saw the potential in and we've had an Alex Bazzie or a Louchez Purifoy last season.

But look at the Stamps. Last season Derek Dennis, Ciante Evans, DaVaris Daniels, Alex Singleton and Tommie Campbell all made significant impacts. Yes, Dennis was with the Stamps in October of 2015 but the Stamps are able to sign players who can come in and make a quick and impressive impact. Look at what Singleton was able to do last season as a rookie middle linebacker. The Stamps also found Davaris Daniels and had 885 yards in receptions in just 11 regular season games. Tommie Campbell was a West All-Star in his rookie season.

Yet we have struggled to find impact players at key positions when we've needed to find them. We haven't been able to devlelop (or at least give an opportunity to) a new National receiver for many seasons now. We would never have given Singleton the same opportunity that Calgary did. We had Lokobombo and mostly wasted him on special teams. We haven't found that stud pass rusher who can consistently get to the quarterback all season.

The best we have come up with so far for this 2017 season is Dequin Evans as our primary rush end to replace Bazzie, Tony Burnett as our second linebacker to compliment Sol E, and Buddy Jackson to replace Ryan Phillips. We need to be finding new stars like Calgary's Devaris Daniel's, Tommy Campbell's, Ciate Evans type of talent rather than retreads like Buddy Jackson, Evans, and Burnett who will likely never become stars. We need to find a Derrick Dennis type of talent for the right tackle position this season - dominant player rather than an Antonio Johnson, who is adequate or good but will likely never play great.

Wally would have had a better chance of beating Calary this season had he kept Olifoye than trading him. If Wally thinks that he can beat Calgary by going with Antonio Johnson instead that makes no sense to me. The reality is that Wally made this trade from weakness by being up against the cap. He got himself into the situation by whom he signed this off-season, which included cast-offs that other teams were not interested in keeping. He better hope those players will come through because those signings were costly in losing an Olifioye for this upcoming season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
The_Pauser
Legend

I do agree with you on those other signings Blitz. I wish we had access to the Lions salary cap numbers to see just how pressed up against the cap they really are, and what our ugliest contracts look like. For what some of these guys (Jackson, Burnett, Evans, Ainsworth, and Bucknor) are likely to do this year I have to think there were cheaper alternatives available, either internally or through free agent camps/the draft.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

As many have pointed out there are lots of alternate ways to shed SMS $$ and moving Olafioye is just one of them. But getting the kind of backup depth that Wally is comfortable with when starting 4 NATs on the Oline required more than just relying on selecting a 2017 raw draft pick with no pro experience. Hence Jovan for the rights to Foucault who at least has some NFL PR and game experience and secondly it sheds SMS $, just in case Boyko shakes free from the NFL in Sept.

I don't like it, but I understand it.
CardiacKid
Legend

According to a LU article at TSN.ca, no offer has been forwarded to Foucault. He is merely open to playing for the Lions.

Doesn't really fill one with much optimism. :hmm: :sigh:

Fleeced indeed.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Wally indicates (see most recent video at the Lion's website) that Foucault "is excited to come here -- sees the opportunity" and "wants to be here". Far more optimistic language than "merely open to playing" suggests. Not being contrary/argumentative CardiacKid (either with you personally or with LU) merely illustrating how this whole business sways depending on who's talking. And that's as one would expect. Emotions get involved. And we come at this from a lot of different angles, vested interests. Wally has his angle, sports scribes have theirs, and us Leo fans -- and in this particular case us Jovan fans -- come with ours (all slightly variant).

I'm waiting for my swaying to stop! I'm heartened (as others have said) by the passionate interest in this case. And pretty well every different slant -- each divergent expressed view takes me with it as I read and ponder... LOL. And that's just little ol' me, watching from the sidelines. Can't fully imagine what this whole process for athletes (Jovan in this instance) must be like. I'm at least pleased to have read (LU) that the Lions respectfully allowed him to do some investigating/negotiating around the league on his own terms to some extent at least. I've been in denial. I didn't really want to believe it all. But this is what it is. We shall see. Thank you sincerely, Jovan! Welcome (I hope!) David!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Mike Beamish, Foucault is looking forward to signing with the Lions and competing for a starting position. It turns out Foucault's O-line coach in Carolina was a college teammate of Dan Dorazio's at Kent State and they share the same approach to their jobs. Foucault says he already knows what is being expected of him.
“I’m mentally tougher, physically tougher, and I have so much more experience than when I left university (Montreal Carabins),” said Foucault, the fifth overall pick in the 2014 CFL draft, by the Alouettes.

“On the (Panthers) practice squad, you’re asked to give 100 per cent every day. I went up against some very talented guys, like (Pro Bowl defensive end) Greg Hardy. My position coach (John Matsko) was a tough coach, and I like that.”

The tough-as-nails Matsko has a long history with Lions’ offensive line coach Dan Dorazio, beginning with their undergraduate football days at Kent State, where the pair shared lockers next to each other. Foucault knows of Dorazio’s exacting standards from his conversations with Matsko, and feels as if they will be a good fit.

“I’m very happy to be on a team with an O-line coach I know, who coaches the same way,” Foucault says. “I know Dan is a tough coach, and that’s very good for a player. I’m familiar with the playbook, the techniques and the coaching style over there (B.C.).”

Likewise, Dorazio is appreciative that Foucault’s acquisition allows the potential to start four Canadians on the offensive line, freeing up an import spot elsewhere. Where Foucault fits in the mix is open to possibility. While primarily a left tackle with the Panthers, Foucault played every other O-line position in practice, with the exception of centre.

“David has lot of flexibility,” Dorazio says. “Right tackle, left tackle, right guard, left guard, he’s been developed at all of those positions. With his experience in the NFL, he just adds more competition and talent to the mix.”
Contract for NFL vet David Foucault is Lions’ next objective to tackle

I'm liking this trade more and more. Has Dorazio ever been wrong? :wink:
BC 1988
Legend

The Moj on 1040 today offered that he trusts in Wally's famed ability to detect when a player is approaching his "best before" date (but then he kind of negated the argument by saying that when JO failed his NFL physical and returned to the CFL he was not as good as his pre-NFL self).
Time will tell how many trouble-free top quality seasons he will have with MTL. After the great season BC QB's enjoyed (plenty of time to make plays, very little pressure or injury risk), I'm really disappointed he's gone. It's back to the drawing board.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sorry to see Olafioye go. Wish him the best except when we play the Als.
Last edited by TheLionKing on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Jovon O - Fabien - Husband - Vaillancourt - Steward = coulda/woulda been the best O-line in the CFL this coming season, IMO.

We shall see now - maybe Foucault comes in and is even better than Jovon, or a new import OT is as good or better too, I wouldn't bet on that though.
BC 1988
Legend

From the last part of the Mike Beamish article, sounds kind of ominous (given that we know he/his agent rejected the $80M MTL offer), how much better does he expect from BC?

"Wherever Foucault lands — whether he competes with Steward for the starting left tackle spot, or serves as his backup — the Montrealer is looking for starter’s money.
For while the Lions now have Foucault’s CFL rights, they don’t have him under contract yet.
“I’m not a greedy guy,” Foucault maintains. “When I spoke to Wally (Buono), I’m thinking it’s going to be a good contract. But I don’t know the terms. My agent (Darren Gill) expects to get something done sometime this week. I just want the opportunity to play, to be one of the starters.”
In talks with Alouettes’ GM Kavis Reed, Foucault said it became apparent the Als didn’t regard him as a front-line player — at least not at the start.
According to Spotrac, Foucault was paid $420,000 US in his first NFL season and $112,200 in his second, as a practice roster player.
Though a CFL rookie he may be, he doesn’t expect to be paid like one."
aklawitter
All Star

Wally pulled a fast one on MTL. As sad as I am to see JO go, he was going to be a cap casualty.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:At the same time one has to attempt to look at a trade as non-emotionally as possible and I have tried to do that. I wish we had not signed some free agents and gone into this season with four Nationals and also Olifioye at right tackle, with Steward at left tackle. We could have done that but the SMS dictated that someone's salary had to be reduced. Wally's choice was Olifoye. But I don'[t think we needed to be in the position of having to reduce Olifioye's salary. Lulay's salary is too high for a backup for starters ( I don't guess you will like that comment WCJ but I say it without emotion.

But even keeping Lulay's salary as it is, we could have signed cheaper players than signing free agents as Buddy Jackson, Tony Burnett, DeQuin Evans, Dylan Ainsworth, and Matt Bucknor, who cost against the SMS as well as signed up Leo vet Marco Iannuzzi again as a receiver and we also have Nick Moore against the SMS. Burnett was released by Winnipeg, Buddy Jackson by both the Stamps and the Riders, Evans only started a few games for the Stamps before being released and was not in Montreal's plans, and Bucknor was dumped by Winnipeg. Nick Moore is a more expensive vet as is Iannuzzi. Free agents are expensive.
I don't guess you will like that comment WCJ but I say it without emotion.
No problem, Blitz.

All these players are in the same boat. Wally's boat, the Good Ship Leo.

Lulay was not technically at the top for quarterbacks, throwing the ball. He also might not have been as good as some at reading defences. But in all other respects he was truly outstanding, especially with the intangibles. Leadership. Character. Courage. Lifting his teammates. And then there was his escapability and running ability. He earned that MOP, and the Grey Cup MVP. Injuries took their toll.

I have not really had a position on Lulay's salary as a backup. There must be/ have been situations where two QBs on a CFL team make outstanding money. If JJ10 matches his performance of last year he is underpaid. Is Lulay overpaid? Dunno. Wally, who throws nickels and dimes around like manhole covers, has decided that he is worth it.

Do some guys get different treatment? Sure. Henry Jordan famously said that Vince Lombardi treated them "all the same, like dogs." But that is not true. One could say Paul Hornung got special treatment, as did Bart Starr. Lombardi made a point of building Starr's confidence, rather than screaming at him the way he did with Jerry Kramer, for example. IMO coaches cannot treat all players the same. Do GMs treat them all the same regarding salary? I doubt it, but I expect Wally has kept his emotions out of it, more than most. Even Geroy moved out, and one can see that Wally and Geroy act a lot like father and son.

Tough situation for Wally re Jovan. I bet it hurts Wally, doing what he felt he had to do, having put himself in bad shape re the SMS. He made a big push this year signing guys. The "trade" hurts Jovan even more, of course. Big time wounds. God bless, Jovan. You are one of the all time Lions. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.