Jovan leaves the Den. Confirmation on Page 8.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

It's now official. A done deal.

Jovan to Alouettes for Foucault and INT OL Vincent Brown (6' 6" 350 lbs).

Full story here.

Goodbye, big man. Thanks for all your service and commitment to the club and community. You will be missed. :rockin:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pdxlion
Rookie

I would much rather be paying Olifioye $200,000 because he not only be be a starter on our offensive line but an exceptional as welll as flexible starter who would make our team better for 2017 than the alternative of not being here this season and forward. Wally didn't ask Lulay to take a pay cut and he is paid more than $200,000 to be a backup quarterback. Lulay has been hurt often since 2012, he is not needed to mentor Jennings this season, and Lulay, in a backup role last year, had a quarterback efficiency average of 80.9.

Quarterbacks as Rakeem Cato, Dan Lefevour, Vernon Adams Jr. James Franklin, Brock Jensen had better quarterback efficency averages. Lulay will likely be long gone when Olifioye is still playing and its time that our Leos developed a backup quarterback rather than paying such a high salary for a backup quarterback. Most CFL teams, including Calgary, do not choose to spend that kind of money on a backup quarterback and we won't be able to afford Lulay anyway, at the end of this season, if we want to keep Jonathan Jennings.
Lulay is needed to help out Jennings. If Jennings gets hurt or underperforms I have all the faith in the world that he can still perform at a high level and take us to the GC. Also, if you remember, he's the only qb who made drives against Calgary last year in the playoffs. He's worth it and Wally has had a pretty good career so he must know what he's doing - agree or not. My 2 cents.
CardiacKid
Legend

It's done. Just confirmed online. The Leo's also get Olineman Vincent Brown; a make weight or a guy with real potential? There needed to be additional coverage for the Oline in this deal.

Based on a rather negative tweet of mine that Jovan "favourited", I suspect he is not at all happy about it either.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU weighs in with some insight and analysis into the trade.

Why the Lions traded all-star Olafioye to Als (hint: money)

Some key excerpts:
Off-season moves by Buono have always included the removal of at least one veteran player before their due date and the coach/GM of the Lions kept his streak intact earlier in the winter by cutting defensive back Ryan Phillips when the 12-year veteran couldn’t agree to a restructured deal. Money also cost Buono linebacker Adam Bighill when the option window created by the general manager by asking for a pay cut in 2016 turned into a three-year futures deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Olafioye’s exit follows somewhat of a familiar script. The difference this time is that rather than make him accept a restructured deal for less money, the Lions offered Olafioye the chance to strike his own deal elsewhere not wanting to completely insult him yet knowing they couldn’t release him outright either. For weeks, Reed saw Olafioye’s value in a manner similar to the Lions, but eventually found middle ground.
The Olafioye move also gives B.C. a bit of wiggle room in determining their non-import ratio for the coming season. B.C. still isn’t sure if veteran wideout Shawn Gore will return, much less where he would play with Williams ticketed to become a regular if healthy.

Buono, however, has said he was examining ways to ensure his team could start eight Canadians, one more than the league standard, for flexibility, also stating he was uneasy starting three non-imports on defence.

Shipping Olafioye out will mandate the Lions must now start four Canadians on the offensive front. Regardless of whether they get Foucault or for that matter Brett Boyko, who remains in pursuit of his NFL dream, the trade opens up a move back to tackle for Hunter Steward and creates an opening for second-year Canadian Charles Vaillancourt.

But it comes at the expense of the only consistent performer the Lions have had the last six years on the offensive line, a position group which always hasn’t been a position of strength.
Lionsfan65
Starter

When I first heard that the Lions were looking to trade Jovan, I was completely against it. He has been fantastic for us for 7 seasons, and last year, was an important piece on what I would say was probably one of the top 2 lines in the league.
I have since come around on this trade, I still have a shade of skepticism however, but I think we can all agree that Jovan was very expensive.
During the games, and during replays and highlight tapes, I like to watch the O line. I would say that Jovan has actually lost a half a step in 2016. At times he was slow off the ball, and he just wasn't winning as many 1 on 1s as he used to.
I think this is a good move, Foucoult will probably cost about half as much as Olafioye, and we can find another international who can do a decent job for about 50 or 60 thousand.
The Vincent Brown guy has some pretty good size. I wonder if he could play guard. Looking at what Bond did last year for Winnipeg, I might consider playing Foucoult and Steward at tackles, with Vaillencourt and Brown at guards with Husband at centre, and Fabien, and another draft pick as backups. We are also likely to get Boyko by the end of the season, or early next season. At that point I would like to see us go with 5 nationals starting on the offensive line.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:LU weighs in with some insight and analysis into the trade.

Why the Lions traded all-star Olafioye to Als (hint: money)

Some key excerpts:
Off-season moves by Buono have always included the removal of at least one veteran player before their due date and the coach/GM of the Lions kept his streak intact earlier in the winter by cutting defensive back Ryan Phillips when the 12-year veteran couldn’t agree to a restructured deal. Money also cost Buono linebacker Adam Bighill when the option window created by the general manager by asking for a pay cut in 2016 turned into a three-year futures deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Olafioye’s exit follows somewhat of a familiar script. The difference this time is that rather than make him accept a restructured deal for less money, the Lions offered Olafioye the chance to strike his own deal elsewhere not wanting to completely insult him yet knowing they couldn’t release him outright either. For weeks, Reed saw Olafioye’s value in a manner similar to the Lions, but eventually found middle ground.
The Olafioye move also gives B.C. a bit of wiggle room in determining their non-import ratio for the coming season. B.C. still isn’t sure if veteran wideout Shawn Gore will return, much less where he would play with Williams ticketed to become a regular if healthy.

Buono, however, has said he was examining ways to ensure his team could start eight Canadians, one more than the league standard, for flexibility, also stating he was uneasy starting three non-imports on defence.

Shipping Olafioye out will mandate the Lions must now start four Canadians on the offensive front. Regardless of whether they get Foucault or for that matter Brett Boyko, who remains in pursuit of his NFL dream, the trade opens up a move back to tackle for Hunter Steward and creates an opening for second-year Canadian Charles Vaillancourt.

But it comes at the expense of the only consistent performer the Lions have had the last six years on the offensive line, a position group which always hasn’t been a position of strength.
Thanks for posting B.C. Fan. Intriguing stuff.

So, we actually haven't signed Facault yet. We have just have traded for his rights and still have to negotiate a contract with him.

The trade doesn't open up a spot for Hunter Steward to play left tackle, because we could have played Steward at left tackle and moved Olifioye back to right tackle. If we sign Facault the trade does give us a backup National left tackle on the roster. Whether Wally would be willing to go with five Internationals on the offensive line is a question mark and likely won't happen.

I think my biggest worry now is that Buono himself is close to retirement. He came back down to coach and wants to win it all this season. That is always the mandate but Buono, as GM/Coach for most of his career had both a short term focus and a longer term focus. When you won't likely be around in another year or so, that can change the mindset.

Wally wanted to play four Internationals on the offensive line in order to be able to start more International receivers. He also did not feel comfortable starting Steward at left tackle without an National backup. He got himself into trouble with the SMS with his signings of both Leo free agents and his free agent signings from other teams. He is also paying big money for a backup quarterback in case Jennings gets hurt rather than developing a backup for the long term future at the #2 quarterback spot. He only signed Hunter Steward to a one year contract. Chris Williams, a speed guy, will likely only play a couple of seasons at best. Its about winning NOW, creating another legacy, winning a Grey Cup in likely his final season as a Head Coach/GM.

All that is good if we win the Grey Cup or at least play in the Big Dance this year. But right now, I worry that the long term is out for Buono and that makes his signings, free agent decisions, and trade decisions more worrysome than in the past.

Since this trade is done, I hope for the best and this trade works out to our benefit.

As for Jovan Olifioye, THANK YOU and very best wishes for the future!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

You will go down as one of our best offensive linemen ever. You were always professional, understated, hard working, and a role model by example, as well as a very loyal Leo, who never tested free agency when it would have been to your advantage financially to do so.

Kavis Reed just commented "It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to acquire a player of Jovan’s calibre, one who has performed at such a high level day in and day out, without ever missing a start”

Montreal is getting an exceptional offensive lineman - a player they felt they needed to shore up their offensive line and were willing to pay the bucks to do so.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Just listened to Wally on 1040 with Sekeres and Price. He didn't want to offer anything up on the reasoning other than salary. However at the end he did make a point of saying that the exciting team last year wasn't good enough to compete with the Stamps and players were getting beat. Then he changed it to team as a whole, a calculated seed IMO to point a finger at Olafioye. He did stress being able to play 4 NI's was the flexibility that made the deal worthwhile.

Best wishes for Olafioye, a warrior that the Lions OL leaned on during his tenure.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Just listened to Wally on 1040 with Sekeres and Price. He didn't want to offer anything up on the reasoning other than salary. However at the end he did make a point of saying that the exciting team last year wasn't good enough to compete with the Stamps and players were getting beat. Then he changed it to team as a whole, a calculated seed IMO to point a finger at Olafioye. He did stress being able to play 4 NI's was the flexibility that made the deal worthwhile.

Best wishes for Olafioye, a warrior that the Lions OL leaned on during his tenure.
Once again, its completely 'spin" to say that we can start four Nationals by trading Olifioye. We could start four Nationals this season (Steward, Fabian, Husband, and Vaillencourt) and keep Olifioye, in terms of roster spots and ratio.

This trade also involves "future considerations" by our Leos to Montreal, as well as Olifioye. I never like "future considerations" because that could mean a lot of things". Facault isn't signed and now has a lot more leverage. The other player coming to B.C. in this trade is Vicent Brown, an International tackle.

Vincent Brown played at Pittsburg State and Southern Mississipi. Brown was added to the Als’ practice roster late in 2015. He dressed for the regular-season finale that season and returned for training camp in 2016.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Blitz wrote: Wally could have chosen to ask Lulay for a pay cut instead of Olifioye or asked both to take a pay cut, which might have minimized the impact and perhaps been more conducive to keep Olifioye here.
don't even have to have take a pay cut. Just 6-game him (he is not playing anyways), he gets to keep all the cash and you get cap relief. if JJ10 gets hurt, pull him off the six game list.
That makes a lot of sense. Ship your main backup off to the 6G IR where he cannot participate in practices or team meetings until the 5th game has been completed. Then when your starter gets hurt yank him back off the IR, start him and expect him to win.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kavis sees this as a positive for the Alouettes. LOL Yup. Hall of Fame tackle for nothing, if Foucault skates.

A positive for the Lions? Not a chance.

A move to allow Steward to play left tackle? No need to trade Jovan for that.

For this fan, it is all about the cap.

Wally paid up for Williams and Waters. After many other signings, they were nuggets he jumped at.

We fans are happy to have these late signings on board. But, I think we could have gone cheaper than Waters, via trade, draft or free agent.

It is all about the cap, which Wally has always respected most highly. It seems he did not see another way to get back under it.

Not a move from strength. A desperate move to respect the cap, once we overspent re the SMS.

Will we be OK in the O Line? Who knows?

Farewell, Jovan. A classier, more talented, more loyal, more durable player we will likely never see. :thup:

Jovan not happy? I expect so.

Good for Jacques. Good for Kavis. Good for the Alouetttes. Good for the Lions? Not a chance. Good for Wally's SMS calculations? Yes.

Just IMO ... All views have merit.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

Rammer wrote:Just listened to Wally on 1040 with Sekeres and Price. He didn't want to offer anything up on the reasoning other than salary. However at the end he did make a point of saying that the exciting team last year wasn't good enough to compete with the Stamps and players were getting beat. Then he changed it to team as a whole, a calculated seed IMO to point a finger at Olafioye. He did stress being able to play 4 NI's was the flexibility that made the deal worthwhile.

Here's the link for the Wally interview on 1040
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.707413
Sekeres didn't pull any punches--he raised many of the same concerns voiced on this board. You can tell Wally knows he gave JO away, and tried to emphasise the positives (such as they are).
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Kavis sees this as a positive for the Alouettes. LOL Yup. Hall of Fame tackle for nothing, if Foucault skates.

A positive for the Lions? Not a chance.

A move to allow Steward to play left tackle? No need to trade Jovan for that.

For this fan, it is all about the cap.

Wally paid up for Williams and Waters. After many other signings, they were nuggets he jumped at.

We fans are happy to have these late signings on board. But, I think we could have gone cheaper than Waters, via trade, draft or free agent.

It is all about the cap, which Wally has always respected most highly. It seems he did not see another way to get back under it.

Not a move from strength. A desperate move to respect the cap, once we overspent re the SMS.

Will we be OK in the O Line? Who knows?

Farewell, Jovan. A classier, more talented, more loyal, more durable player we will likely never see. :thup:

Jovan not happy? I expect so.

Good for Jacques. Good for Kavis. Good for the Alouetttes. Good for the Lions? Not a chance. Good for Wally's SMS calculations? Yes.

Just IMO ... All views have merit.
What really has me scratching my head WCJ is that, unlike Montreal, we do not have Facault committed to a contract with us prior to the trade.

On the B.C. Lions website it says "The Lions will now begin the process of signing Foucault to a contract in time for their three-day mini-camp slated for April 26-28".

Focault knows that Wally just traded a 6 time CFL A;;-Star for him. Facault needs to play but he could sit out a season or part of a season if he does not get the deal he wants.

Montreal was in a far better position to make this trade. They could offer more money to Facault or trade for Olifioye. Wally was in a tough situation against the cap. His only leverage was that he could trade Olifioye to other teams than Montreal. But Wally wanted a backup National so he was also restricted in trading Olifioye.

I wonder what the 'future considerations" are. Obviously they were not announced but Montreal is getting something. Vincent Rogers is no bargain in this deal and he seems to be in this deal for optics more than anything else that I can ascertain. We could have brought in a number of International tackles of Vincent Rogers resume or better.

I hate the way contracts tend to work in reality in the CFL. A player and a GM negotiate a contract. The GM can then basically force the player to renogiate the contract. On occasion a player does this too..threatens to not play unless his contract is renogiated, although this is more rare.

I could see it if the player was signed as a starter and is now going to a backup role or a player signed a contract as a backup player and is now in a starter's role. But those clauses could be part of the contract in the first place. It doesn't seem honorable. Jovan, as have others before him, signed a contract in good faith and honored it. He based his financial situation on the terms of that contract. It just doesn't seem to be an honorable way to do business while in the same breadth talking about team loyalty.

I just try to imagine signing a contract. Usually its a compromise in the first place and then being asked to report to the GM's office where he tells you he wants you to take a pay cut while your performance and work ethic have remained high. Not an easy thing to deal with and then give your complete and utmost loyalty to the boss who has just tried to screw you.

I understand Wally spinning this as an opportunity to start four Nationals even though that is B.S. But when sports reporters don't even figure out that Wally could play four Nationals on the line without trading Olifioye, it makes me wonder if they analyze anything at all. At least Ullrich sees it as it really is.

Wally will find that Facault will not sign here for peanuts. He will likely cost Wally a lot more than Wally thinks he can get him to sign for.
The_Pauser
Legend

I don't know that signing Williams necessarily cost us Olafioye. IIRC his contract this year is relatively low, and it's next season where he sees a huge raise.

Also, I completely disagree with not wanting to sign Waters. In fact I find that comment laughable. With how awful our field goal kicking has been, signing a big powerful leg like Waters who can do all 3 kicking duties addresses a big need. We can't afford to keep leaving points on the board, and having a kicker who can confidently hit from beyond 50 is something we haven't really had in a long time.

It sucks losing Olafioye. I've been a big fan of his for a long time, and he was our rock on the O-line. I just pray that Dorazio had nothing to do with the guys we targeted in this deal.
Roar you Lions roar!
maxlion
Legend

According to Farhan, Wally and Foucault had contract discussions before the trade was consumated. It seems a given that he will sign.

Foucault is a prospect on par with Brett Boyko. Olafioye wasn't given away for nothing.
OV - 54:40
Champion

maxlion wrote:According to Farhan, Wally and Foucault had contract discussions before the trade was consumated. It seems a given that he will sign.

Foucault is a prospect on par with Brett Boyko. Olafioye wasn't given away for nothing.

You don't trade away a veteran, loyal and outstanding player unless the guy does not want to be on your team anymore (or is asking for huge, outrageous bucks). Especially not for a very unproven player at the same position. Makes zero sense, and the $MS excuse is bull, IMO - Lulay, FA signings like Williams or Waters (who BTW has really struggled as a CFL FG kicker before), over-rated, iffy hands Moore - how much are they going to make this season ?