The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Not getting 1040 or 1410 anymore on my Amazon Alexa . Anyone else have that problem. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:28 pm
Not getting 1040 or 1410 anymore on my Amazon Alexa . Anyone else have that problem. BB
I knew a bartender named Alexa but she was no Amazon. Didn't get any 1040 or 1410 on her either.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:28 pm
Same here. Have to use iHeart Radio Canada on my phone.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

How TSN can let Scott Rintoul go to a new sports radio in this market is freaking ridiculous. Not only is his pxp excellent, he's an astute football analyst. But given how they let him go, you can't blame him.

Nothing against the Moj - he's great but with 3 in the booth it's nuts. I used to like the Moj when he was alone and had guest after guest from all sports and leagues and it was interesting.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Back to the title of this thread:

The Lions story filed on TheProvince.com was a Canadian Press 'dry, white toast' recap.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Have they officially announced Rintoul's replacement ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 am
Have they officially announced Rintoul's replacement ?
I heard it will be Moj but I don't think it's been officially announced.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jim Mullin wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:37 pm
Back to the title of this thread:

The Lions story filed on TheProvince.com was a Canadian Press 'dry, white toast' recap.
All game-over stories are the same, no matter who writes them, given that they're filed the minute the game ends. Jason Botchford has covered the team all week for The Province and filed a colour story from the game will will file a quoter for next day. The Province also had an eight-page Blitz section on Wednesday, as usual for a home game, and four-page preview on Friday. Ed Willes has done a lot of Lions game coverage in the early season. He's on vacation this week but others are pitching in to keep up the coverage.
almo89
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:44 pm
How TSN can let Scott Rintoul go to a new sports radio in this market is freaking ridiculous. Not only is his pxp excellent, he's an astute football analyst. But given how they let him go, you can't blame him.

Nothing against the Moj - he's great but with 3 in the booth it's nuts. I used to like the Moj when he was alone and had guest after guest from all sports and leagues and it was interesting.
Rintoul is really underrated. He gets slagged a lot because he doesn't really have a radio voice. I really love that he knows his football though. With him and Guilio doing the games, I learn so much about the game just listening to them talk. It's going to be sad to see him go, but I don't blame him either. They let him go earlier in the year and then ask him to come back to do the Lions games. Talk about no security.

Moj will be an interesting option. He knows his football as well, but I don't know if he'll be a good play by play guy.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't see how TSN 1040 could keep Rintoul unless they found a regular slot for him. TSN 1040 pays him for 20-22 games per year plus a weekly show. Sportsnet 650 is offering a full time job.

In the big picture, I think pre and post game is more important for local radio than PxP of the game itself. In reality how many people are only listening to the radio broadcast of the actual game? TSN 1040 still has a very solid lineup of co-hosts and analysts so I don't expect any drop off in their pre/post game shows or 3-Down Radio.

Rintoul has certainly found his stride at PxP lately. So it's a shame that no sooner does he get good he's gone. Maybe Moj will be ok. Rintoul wasn't that hot his first season calling games.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What I will miss most about Rintol is his way above average football knowledge.
BC 1988
Legend

Just heard on Sekeres/Lalji that Rintoul is officially gone (his choice, according to Sekeres), and Moj will be doing PBP on Friday.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Just heard on Sekeres/Lalji that Rintoul is officially gone (his choice, according to Sekeres), and Moj will be doing PBP on Friday.
Rintoul discussed his new job today with Patrick Johnston of The Province:

Vancouver radio: Scott Rintoul excited about building something new at Sportsnet 650
Huge Talent
Starter

Always liked the sherminator. Not so keen on him as pxp, due to the high pitch voice, but he is a great sports personality who happens to also be an expert on lions football. He's put in his time in this market - geez I remember listening to him on 1040 like 15 years ago! So good luck, and hope it works out, with lots of 3 down football coverage!

Listening to brook ward this morning with can't remember who else. They talked a lot of lions, which is of course good.. But it sure comes out flat compared to Pratt and Bro. As annoying as those guys are, they are entertaining.

Am I wrong or has 1040 bumped up lions coverage this summer compared to usual? My theory is this has to do with diversifying away from the hockey team.. Or maybe it's just July?!

If 650 comes out firing on all cylinders, this is great for local sports media... The centralizing, I think, is simply $, which can be defeated with competition.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 pm
Rintoul discussed his new job today with Patrick Johnston of The Province:

Vancouver radio: Scott Rintoul excited about building something new at Sportsnet 650
Really interesting article, given they're bringing in Andrew Walker from Toronto's Fan 590 for the afternoon drive show with Rintoul.

This article shows how similar the sports-radio market is there (albeit much larger than here).
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ ... e33961154/
You can see the parallels of what Sportsnet Toronto tried (and failed) to do on the morning drive with Dean Blundell with what happened here a few years ago.
With Steve Darling, Mira Laurence and James Cybulski, they sure aren't going the shock jock route here in Vancouver.

I also just found this--Brendon Batchelor likely replaces Jon Abbott for Canucks radio pbp.
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... ucks-games