The decline of Vancouver sports media & its effect on Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sure hoping this isn't true although good for Scotty. Can they at least bring in Jim Mullin on a freelance basis instead?

[quote][/650/1040 Vancouver Moj the next #Lions play by play guy after this week taking over from Scott Rintoul who is going to Sportsnet 650.quote]
mountaincat
Rookie

no real offense intended, but something about rats deserting a sinking ship comes to mind (a quick scan of the twitters suggests there are others making the move as well). i guess when there's been no real loyalty shown to somone like scotty there's none to be paid back. i was never able to acquire a taste for his voice on PBP so i can't say i will miss him that much. his enthusiasm has always been admirable but his delivery on radio has always made me feel like i'm listening to an intern trying too hard to make an impression.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:22 am
Sure hoping this isn't true although good for Scotty. Can they at least bring in Jim Mullin on a freelance basis instead?
[/650/1040 Vancouver Moj the next #Lions play by play guy after this week taking over from Scott Rintoul who is going to Sportsnet 650.quote]
I think Jim's fairly busy with his commitments to Krown Countdown U and other CIS efforts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Can't blame Rintoul for moving on, after he was let go in Feb then brought back.

If the Moj is going to do play-by-play; well he has the knowledge, but does he have any experience with the fast pace required?
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Thanks for the support guys.

When Moj did the UBC homecoming game on radio last year, I gave him my p x p "kit". With the CFL he'll be more familiar with the personnel and may even be Canada's version of J.T. The Brick.

Good luck to him!
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Sorry to hear Lions radio broadcasts will lose Scott Rintoul mid season. I was just thinking how he was finally starting to get into his own groove calling games. 3-Down radio has been a great program as well. Scott had a really difficult challenge in trying to fill the shoes of Rick Ball, who I personally think was one of the best CFL radio pxp guys ever.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How about Farhan Lalji ? He called one game on TV as I recall and he wasn't too bad.
mountaincat
Rookie

imo rick ball was the best talent 1040 ever had; the purrfect mix of funny, knowledgeable about more than just hockey, and easy on the ears.

farhan would get my vote too. curious to hear what moj will sound like doing pbp. i could imagine him sounding a bit like jp mcconnell in terms of pacing and a deeper voice. jp was always on top of the play but had a sort of relaxed tone, never got too caught up in the moment or hysterical.
David
Team Captain

I'd vote for Jim. Deserves it.

I like Farhan a lot but he'd make a great colour commentator. He knows the game inside out and has some great takes. No way he's leaving his TSN gig though.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

It will be interesting to see who eventually fills Moj's game day host role for the pre and post game shows. Might just by LU and Chris Burns although it would be nice to see Don Taylor involved as well but my guess is his contract doesn't go beyond his afternoon show.

3rd Down Radio will likely be LU, Gulio and maybe Farhan as a regular now too.

Sad thing is this was the best I had seen Scotty covering the Lions, likely because that was the only thing he was hired to do.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I heard Bros Jakes contract is not being renewed. stay tuned. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Rammer
Team Captain

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am
I just might stay tuned if that's the case. If 1040 would rid themselves of Bro Jake, and at least repeat the daytime shows in the evenings instead of replaying American sport shows, it may capture my attention once again in those time slots.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 am
Ballistic Bob wrote:
I just might stay tuned if that's the case. If 1040 would rid themselves of Bro Jake, and at least repeat the daytime shows in the evenings instead of replaying American sport shows, it may capture my attention once again in those time slots.
No, please no! The live American sport shows in the evening are the best programs on 1040/1410 outside of rare Lions coverage. At least the live American nightly shows talk about that night's events in the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, PGA, etc. That beats a replay of that morning's local all-Canucks talk.
BC 1988
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Glad to hear that. Other than annoying Brook Ward (subbing today) almost anyone sounds better than Bro Jake.

Probably one of many changes. Maybe not immediately, but within 6 months-1 year once the effect of Sportsnet 650 on the market is realized. The only other TSN station (in an NHL market) that doesn't have at least a share (Toronto splits theirs with Sportsnet 590) of NHL game broadcasts is Edmonton 1260. They survive because there isn't another all-sports station there. (630 CHED is News-Talk-Sports).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 am
Ballistic Bob wrote:
Glad to hear that. Other than annoying Brook Ward (subbing today) almost anyone sounds better than Bro Jake.

Probably one of many changes. Maybe not immediately, but within 6 months-1 year once the effect of Sportsnet 650 on the market is realized. The only other TSN station (in an NHL market) that doesn't have at least a share (Toronto splits theirs with Sportsnet 590) of NHL game broadcasts is Edmonton 1260. They survive because there isn't another all-sports station there. (630 CHED is News-Talk-Sports).
Good start, now if they get rid of that KnowItAll Dave Pratt, Matt Suckeris