Milanovich resigns

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tom Clements for the Argos? Lots of doubters. I am more wait and see, providing they do due diligence in the vetting process.

No guarantee of success, as David notes.

Fully credentialed, IMO, despite no HC experience.

Every hire has risks. Go the safer, retread route? Possible. In any case, this CFL fan would be happy to see Clements on board with the Argos. Possible failure? Goes with the territory. Even successful coaches face hard times. Austin and Milanovich won the Grey Cup. They may have backslid since then.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I would have thought Trestman was the right guy for the Argos. Proven winner in the CFL. He would have given the fan base (or what's left of their fan base) an instant reason to be optimistic. Clements has his appeal, but the risk factor is too high for this particular organisation at this time, in my opinion.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:Again though, Clements (if they are indeed going after him) could turn into a freaking genius hire. We don't know. My point was that it comes with considerable risk (despite his pedigree) because he's never been a Head Coach. Unfortunately, at this stage, "risk" and "Argos" are as dangerous as "gas" and "fire." Their primary GOAL should be to become a stable, winning franchise. Dominant perhaps in 5 years.

If they're going to offer Clements the coach AND GM job (which might be the only way they could get him to come north and offer the type of money he'd be seeking), that's even riskier. That's a lot to take on for someone (basically) new to the league.

Past transgressions aside, Eric Tillman has a history of turning around franchises and is very well connected down south. He'd be my choice for GM. He's also good at that "corporate speak" that Copeland and Tanen-Bell like. I'd either shoot for Trestman or hire Chamblin as HC. Both have Grey Cup rings.

DH :cool:
Never been a HC and never been a GM other than his AFL stint nearly 20 years ago. It comes across as less than an optimal combination considering he lacks experience in those positions, is 30 years removed from the CFL and turns 64 in training camp. I feel that in hiring Clements the Argos could be falling in that old trap of hiring a name in hopes of selling tickets as opposed to landing a bright guy on the upswing in his career who can not just see through building a stable winning, franchise but to continue steering the ship beyond 4 or 5 years before seriously looking to retire.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:tillman is GM in Hamilton. Can't talk to anyone employed by another CFL club after Jan31 (3 days way) per CFL rules
While Tillman is currently the Ti-Cat GM he's also at about the end of a typical Tillman stay. He's been with Hamilton in one capacity or another for 4 years now making it his longest stay with any of the 5 CFL organizations he's worked for. In that regard he's about due to make a change. For the Argos to attract him or get permission to talk to him I presume they'd have to offer a lot more than just a parallel GM job.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Never been a HC and never been a GM other than his AFL stint nearly 20 years ago. It comes across as less than an optimal combination considering he lacks experience in those positions, is 30 years removed from the CFL and turns 64 in training camp. I feel that in hiring Clements the Argos could be falling in that old trap of hiring a name in hopes of selling tickets as opposed to landing a bright guy on the upswing in his career who can not just see through building a stable winning, franchise but to continue steering the ship beyond 4 or 5 years before seriously looking to retire.
That's my concern. Big-name hires from the past (e.g. Joe Kapp with the Lions) might get some attention from fans and media but they don't necessarily have a great track record.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:These next two hires for the Argos (assuming it's not one person to become head coach and GM - a serious mistake for someone not named Hufnagel or Buono) are absolutely critical. Not to overstate things, but with the state of this franchise being what it is, there is almost no margin for error.

That is why Tom Clements is a risky hire IMHO. Lots of NFL experience, but as QB coach and OC. None as the head man, and while he played a number of years in Canada, it was a long time ago and that doesn't always translate (for Exhibit A, I present "Tedford, Jeff").

I get what Copeland, Tanenbaum and Bell may be trying to do here: sign someone with cache and name recognition in the Toronto market to gain some traction and 'big league' acceptance. But I would warn them to tread very carefully here. CFL experience trumps all. Not saying someone can't step in from the outside and do wonders. Trestman worked out perfectly. But then again, he had Anthony Calvillo and a stacked line-up, not Drew Willy and a team coming off a 5-13 season. If it were me, I would take the less risky, proven option of Eric Tillman as GM, and Corey Chamblin as HC, with Tommy Condell as the OC.

:thup: :thup:
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

I have very fond memories of Tom Clements playing days in the league, even when he played for the Bombers. I have often thought over the intervening years that the credibility he has built up as a coach in the NFL could be an asset to the CFL. Of course there are a few more boxes to check whether or not he would be a success in a HC/GM-type setup but if he were to return to the CFL, I would take it as a major positive and wish him all the luck.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL fans are all interested in the health of the Argos' franchise. We hope the Argos make a good decision on GM and on HC.

Tom Clements?

There might be interest still from NFL teams. That is the big pond, and the big bucks.

http://thejetpress.com/2017/01/28/new-y ... ordinator/

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/1/27/14 ... p-new-york
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Milanovich led the Argos to victory in the 100th Grey Cup in his first season as head coach, and was named CFL Coach of the Year that season, but finishes his career in Toronto with an overall record of 43-47 with the Double Blue.

Scott Milanovich had challenges put in front of him in Toronto but overall, outside of his successful first season in Toronto, he was not very successful or very innovative either. It was time for change in Toronto, at both the GM and HC level. Be interesting to see how it turns out a couple of seasons down the road.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:They are saying over at ArgoFans that the Argos will announce within 24 hours that former CFL QB and until just recently Green Bay OC, Tom Clements will be the new Argo GM/HC, at $1 Million/year for 5 years. If this is true then I take back any negative comments, criticism, or thoughts that I had about Michael Copeland.
Don't. He isn't any good. Should have been let go after last season and is a big reason the design of the passing game in Green Bay is stuck in the 1970s. Lost play calling duties in Green Bay after 2015 and really should have been fired after that season.

A terrible idea and a terrible hire if true.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I don't think this is really comparable to Tedford. Tedford had a lot of experience as a head coach in the college ranks. That's the same approach he took to coaching a pro team, and that angered a lot of players. They simply didn't want to play for him because he treated them like kids with ridiculous curfews, hours of video, and such a high tempo practice that they were often fatigued by game time.
That is a fair point. Tedford may not be a slam-dunk comparable to Clements. Tedford coached really young men and thought his leadership techniques could translate to the pros (it didn't). However, one could argue that at least he has the title of Head Coach on his resume. Brilliant offensive or defensive strategist don't always make Head Coaching material. Rich Stubler is a purrfect example. Let's not forget a big source of frustration for Tedford (as it could well be for Clements) is the budget restrictions in our league. We simply don't have the seemingly unlimited resources up here that they're availed down south.

This is not to say Clements will fail. I am just calling it "risky." The larger point was just that Copeland has virtually no margin for error to turn things around in Toronto. I hate to contemplate the risks of a bad hire and continued losing. If I'm Copeland and am picking right now between a "cache" signing that makes headlines and gets the attention of the market vs "proven winner," I'd have to opt for "proven winner." But that's just me. :2cents:

Makes you wonder if they would consider throwing a boatload of cash at someone like Marc Trestman. If they're rumoured to be willing to offer Clements $1M per year, why not go with Trestman at that price? Proven winner, knows the league, success up here and has NFL experience. Checks a lot of boxes.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MLSE will need a boatload of cash to keep the Argos afloat until they find their niche in the Toronto market and provide strong entertainment at a reasonable price. Overpaying for front-office leadership with name recognition but little experience will more likely sink the team than keep it afloat.