Throwback Thursday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Nice shots Ernie! Sonny Homer was before my time, but I know what he meant the Lions' organization and he was a key part of their short lived "glory days" of '63 and '64.

So we know Sonny Homer's real name was Lawrence. Here is some BC Lions trivia for you guys. Do you know the real first names of these 3 famous BC Lions?

Nub Beamer
Lefty Hendrickson
Rocky Long

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

As a kid growing up in North Van, I went to North Star school, which was just down the street from where Sonny Homer lived. This local connection put him in a small group of my favourite football players, which not surprisingly were BC Lions.... excepting Hamilton's Hal Patterson (until I dumped all allegiances to Hamilton following a certain Grey Cup game). One of my lasting memories is being with my father sitting in the end zone at Empire Stadium when Joe Kapp threw one of those long, high arching passes into the end zone.... right to Sonny on a fly pattern, who caught it without breaking stride. It was a coolish night, and we had a blanket over our knees...... which as I lept to my feet, catapulted the shells from all the peanuts I had been eating (and dropping on the blanket) upward and forward all over the patrons in the row in front of me..... but it was such a purrfect pass and catch that everyone was smiling and the peanut shells were quickly forgotten.... I've no idea if we won or lost the game, but I can still see Sonny Homer reaching out as the ball dropped into his hands for the TD..... such a fine memory....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Nice shots Ernie! Sonny Homer was before my time, but I know what he meant the Lions' organization and he was a key part of their short lived "glory days" of '63 and '64.

So we know Sonny Homer's real name was Lawrence. Here is some BC Lions trivia for you guys. Do you know the real first names of these 3 famous BC Lions?

Nub Beamer
Lefty Hendrickson
Rocky Long

Lynn "Lefty" Henrickson. Met him at the Grey Cup in Vancouver. Told him he drove me nuts with his numerous offsides. He laughed and said that he had to compensate for his lack of speed by leaving early.

Roderick (Rocky) Long
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Nice anecdotes guys! Enjoyed the humorous come back line from Hendrickson regards his offsides/footspeed! A good one. Thanks for sharing LionKing. Loved the slow-mo cinematographic detail description of the end zone catch, Dusty, with the spiral cradled in the outstretched arms and then the peanut shells showering the folks around you. Geez, I almost stood up and cheered just reading it!
Perhaps someone's found the answer re Nub Beamer's name in the meantime while I'm keying in this comment, but I'm getting suspicious that it might be a trick question, David, and in fact Nub's real name is Nub! I tried to find something, but no go. But perhaps upon me hitting 'send' and now returning to the comments I'll see someone's a better researcher than I.
David
Team Captain

I'll give some other folks a crack at this one Ernie before revealing the answer tomorrow (if no one knows it). Let's just say that....it is not surprising that all 3 guys had nicknames! :wink:

The Lion King got Roderick "Rocky" Long and Lynn "Lefty" Hendrickson correct (interestingly, in high school in West Van, he went by his middle name "Al." Seems he didn't think his teachers would take to kindly to nicknames, and didn't want to go back to "Lynn." He had a bad experience when he was younger in Squamish, his hometown. A reporter called the house. His brother answered. The guy said, "can I speak to your sister, Lynn?" Kind of like Johnny Cash's A Boy Named Sue).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am
I'll give some other folks a crack at this one Ernie before revealing the answer tomorrow (if no one knows it). Let's just say that....it is not surprising that all 3 guys had nicknames! :wink:
Clarence “Nub” Beamer Jr.
David
Team Captain

*DING!* *DING* *DING* *DING*

Winner!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:30 am
David wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am
Clarence “Nub” Beamer Jr.
I coulda had it. I coulda. But I was AFK. Dayum.

Nub was a tough FB. How could a guy that tough be called Clarence? No way. In my neighbourhood in Burnaby there was the Admiral Hotel (later the North Burnaby Inn). As kids we used to see Beamer and his buddies going into the bar in the evening.

I always thought he and Jim Taylor of the Packers could have been brothers, even twins. Ha ha. About the same size and same style of running. Over people, not around.

After retiring due to concussions he became a stockbroker in Vancouver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nub_Beamer

He is just Nub on Wikipedia. No mention of Clarence. He must have scrubbed that. LOL But the locals knew his real name.
33361-3413965Fr.jpg
beamer_nub.jpg
Jim Taylor of the Packers
Jim Taylor.jpg
Clarence, Nub, Beamer, Most Outstanding Player for the Lions in 1962.
2018-01-31_0135.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:32 am
*DING!* *DING* *DING* *DING*

Winner!

I couldn't stay away for long -- the suspense was killin' me. Glad to see a winner!
Got me thinking about memorable unusual names in football -- good ones, but ones you kinda' wonder about in regards to them once being a kid and growing up with such a handle. e.g. Wonderful Monds (he played for Ottawa -- back in the 70s), or, fast-forward to currently in the NFL -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (DB with the Packers). I get a kick out of it every time the oh-so-serious play-by-play guys call his name, but it might have been tough for a youngster out on the playground. Dunno. On the other hand maybe it made him the happiest funniest little goofball out there! In Ha Ha's case it's his nickname. In Wonderful's case it's seemingly his true given name, and his middle name is Terrific. Had he played for the Lions we'd had to have added 'purrfect'!
David
Team Captain

1977 was a fun year to be a Lions fan. The club had been in the doldrums. Hadn't seen the positive side of :500 since 1964. Then came HC Vic Rapp. Ex-Packer QB Jerry Tagge, a standout at Nebraska. Leon "Neon" Bright, Jim Young. They became known as "Jerry and the Cardiacs" because they'd find a way to win games (10-6 record) in the final minute. The crowds came back.

One of the biggest plays in Lions' history came that year. Saturday, November 12, 1977 out at old Empire Stadium. It was the Western Semi-Final with the Lions leading the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 33-32 in the dying minutes, in front of 27,105 fans who braved a Vancouver downpour. Bomber quarterback Ralph Brock saw a sprinting Mike Holmes open for what should have been a sure touchdown. Except BC's Joe Fourqurean came out of nowhere, dived for the ball....and knocked it down, preserving the Lions' lead and ensuring victory.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Interesting, he does not show up in any of the graduating classes of Roseburg Or. High School.
He apparently was a baseball player in college as well.
https://oregondigital.org/sets/osu-athl ... :j9602095p
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

For Throwback Thursday this time, how about a former Felion? :yes:

After Angela Fong left the Felions, she decided to become a professional wrestler.

She moved around to various wrestling organizations:

Diva Search and Ohio Valley Wrestling (2007–2008)
Florida Championship Wrestling (2008–2010)
ECW (2009–2010)
NXT (2010)
Independent circuit (2010–2013)
Lucha Underground (2014–present)

Her current ring name is: Black Lotus

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/ang ... -6675.html
http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befe ... stler=9451
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

Today's Throwback Thursday features Mike "Trap" Trevethan (seen here horsing around with Lui on photo day), a tough, fearless receiver (1991-1997) who played 113 games in black and orange. Mike stands 5th all-time on the club in receiving yards, yet surprisingly little is known or talked about him today. He was one of my favs at the time.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 am
Today's Throwback Thursday features Mike "Trap" Trevethan (seen here horsing around with Lui on photo day), a tough, fearless receiver (1991-1997) who played 113 games in black and orange. Mike stands 5th all-time on the club in receiving yards, yet surprisingly little is known or talked about him today. He was one of my favs at the time.

Mike Trevathan was good as a Lions receiver from 1991-97 and he had the privilege of playing with several hall of fame QB's like Doug Flutie, Danny McManus, and Damon Allen. Unfortunately though, I'd say he was somewhat overshadowed and masked by many good receivers at that time such as Darren Flutie, Ray Alexander, Jay Christensen, Matt Clark, Alfred Jackson, Jimmy Cunningham, Yo Murphy, etc. and as such, he was simply lost in the shuffle of the several good receivers. And despite the fact that with seven seasons as a Lion he played much longer than all the other receivers who came and gone (tied with Matt Clark) he didn't necessarily "stand out" over his fellow receivers. And this is very unfortunate but off the top of my head I couldn't immediately recall any notable and exceptional plays unlike say Darren Flutie and Ray Alexander with their heroic plays in the 1994 WDF.

You can see his player cards at:
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/GalleryP.c ... -Trevathan

In 2001 he ended up as a running backs coach for the Utah State Aggies:
http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m ... ike00.html

And now he's a commercial realtor for RE/MAX in Monroe, Louisiana.
http://mtrevathan.remax-louisiana.com/

So if in the future you're interested in buying property in Louisiana, contact him. I'm sure he will be a good and reliable realtor the same way he was a good and reliable receiver: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-trevathan-mba-6304b06/
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:41 am
David wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:40 am

Mike Trevathan was good as a Lions receiver from 1991-97 and he had the privilege of playing with several hall of fame QB's like Doug Flutie, Danny McManus, and Damon Allen. Unfortunately though, I'd say he was somewhat overshadowed and masked by many good receivers at that time such as Darren Flutie, Ray Alexander, Jay Christensen, Matt Clark, Alfred Jackson, Jimmy Cunningham, Yo Murphy, etc. and as such, he was simply lost in the shuffle of the several good receivers. And despite the fact that with seven seasons as a Lion he played much longer than all the other receivers who came and gone (tied with Matt Clark) he didn't necessarily "stand out" over his fellow receivers. And this is very unfortunate but off the top of my head I couldn't immediately recall any notable and exceptional plays unlike say Darren Flutie and Ray Alexander with their heroic plays in the 1994 WDF.

You can see his player cards at:
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/GalleryP.c ... -Trevathan

In 2001 he ended up as a running backs coach for the Utah State Aggies:
http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sports/m ... ike00.html

And now he's a commercial realtor for RE/MAX in Monroe, Louisiana.
http://mtrevathan.remax-louisiana.com/

So if in the future you're interested in buying property in Louisiana, contact him. I'm sure he will be a good and reliable realtor the same way he was a good and reliable receiver: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mike-trevathan-mba-6304b06/
Several times in the past we created threads involving lists, rankings, and comparisons (Best Lions Players, Best Lions Games, Best Lions Trades, etc.) sometimes I would create pairs and list more than one entry for the same ranking if I felt their situations were very similar. And as such, I'll do another pairing now as I think this player had an almost identical situation and legacy as that of Mike Trevathan and that player would be Vancouver-born receiver Matt Clark.

Matt Clark started with the Lions in 1991 along with Mike Trevathan and lasted just one less year than him when his last season as a Lion was 1997. He had the privilege of playing with 1991 MOP Doug Flutie, and other CFL legends like Danny McManus and Damon Allen. In the 1991 season because the more "popular" receivers were Ray Alexander and Darren Flutie and the opponent's defensive players would often double team them, then Doug Flutie would often connect with Matt Clark and Mike Trevathan. A more disappointing aspect about Clark was that along with Jay Christensen, he was injured for the all-important WDSF in Calgary.

Unfortunately both Matt Clark and Mike Trevathan were overshadowed and masked by many good receivers at that time and it's unlikely they will be inducted in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

One difference between the two is that despite playing for the University of Montana where he also got a B.S. in Marketing, Matt Clark was considered a non-import and a Canadian and he was the Lions nominee for the 1991 CFL Most Outstanding Canadian but lost the Western nomination to Eskimos' Blake Marshall who won MOC.

An article about him in 2009:
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... 002e0.html

And a picture of him in action: https://scottgrant.photoshelter.com/ima ... kYLIdqN088

It looks like his retirement in professional football, he managed a golf club, then worked as a product and sales manager in various sporting apparel companies, and is now a health enhancement instructor and golf coach at a high school in Bozeman, Montana.

Here's his LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-clark-06618558
祝你龍年行大運。