Throwback Thursday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I agree with you B.C. FAN. A big part of the bleak period from '65 - '76 was sub-par quarterbacking. They just couldn't replace Joe Kapp. I also think that apart from Jim Young, the club didn't really possess many standout receivers during that stretch. Sure, there was Highbaugh whom we mentioned earlier and Jake Scott in '69 who went onto star in the NFL, but no one lasted here any length of time that was fast and sure-handed - other than "Dirty 30."

Speaking of the aforementioned Jim Evenson, here are a couple of "Throwback Thursday" pics:

Evie rambles for big yards vs Ottawa. Although he didn't possess blazing speed, once he got up a head of steam in the second level, tackling a 6"3" 220lb fullback was not a pleasant experience for many DBs.

Alouette defenders about to get a face full of Evenson, October 2, 1971 on a rainy night at Empire.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes. Many memories.

Jim Evenson was a Mack Truck. He could move the pile. He could find holes. He was a load to tackle.

6'3'' 230 by one listing.

Article by Jim Taylor.

"In churning magnificently through the mud of Empire Stadium for 154 yards ... " :thup:

"With Fleming in '63 it was all deception and dazzling speed, and every carry was a potential touchdown. With Evenson it's strictly trench warfare, up the middle or off the tackles."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Don Moorhead handing off to Jim Evenson.

http://fishduck.com/2014/04/the-enigma- ... m-evenson/

From his on and off time with Oregon ...
There was a time, in the darker days of Oregon football, that Len Casanova managed to land a highly-prized fullback — Jim Evenson. He was touted as the kind of running back who could help turn a program around.

Evenson was born in 1947 in Hillsboro, Oregon. Eventually his family moved to Vancouver, Washington, where Evenson would graduate from Fort Vancouver High. Unable to qualify for a four-year college, Evenson enrolled at Boise Junior College (now Boise State University).
BJC had been a conduit for a number of Oregon stars including Darrell Aschbacher, Joe Schaffeld, John Wilcox, Dave Wilcox, Milt Kanehe and Jerry Inman. Evenson, however, was one of the first running backs recruited by Oregon from BJC.

In 1965, Evenson, as a freshman, was named a first team Junior College All-America. That was enough to pique the Ducks’ interest – and – Casanova managed to land the highly-touted fullback.

Evenson arrived in Eugene in time for spring practice in 1966. He quickly made an impression on the coaching staff with his play. By the time fall practices opened, Evenson had moved to the top of the depth chart at the halfback position.
This would turn out to be Evenson’s only season as a Duck. Apparently, Jim was not very good with his studies and left school before the 1968 season.

What to do next?

Evenson decided to give professional football a try. He couldn’t go to the NFL, as his original class had not completed its eligibility. So, he managed to talk the British Columbia Lions into giving him a tryout. The rest, as they say, is history.

In his rookie season Evenson rushed for 1220 yards and caught 19 passes, and was named to the Western Conference All-Star team. 1968 would be the first of four consecutive seasons in which Evenson would gain more than 1,000 yards, and be named to the Western Conference All-Star team. Evenson would also be named to the CFL All-Star team in 1970 and 1971.

Evenson’s performance in his first two seasons was enough to draw the attention of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who drafted him in the fourth round of the 1970 NFL Draft.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Here is an article on Don Moorhead which I enjoyed reading.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 11aad.html

Where Are They Now: Don Moorhead

Oct. 26, 2011

By Bruce Madej

When Bo Schembechler came to Michigan as head coach in 1969, the Wolverines became known for their ferocious line play on both sides of the ball and then, of course, three yards and a cloud of dust.

So, it might come as a surprise to many that when Bo's quarterback, Don Moorhead, graduated from U-M in 1970, he set 24 records at Michigan including total offense (breaking the record set by Michigan All-American and Heisman Trophy runner-up Bob Chappuis), most yards gained passing, most passes attempted and most passes completed.

So, how did that happen?

"Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when he (Bo Schembechler) came in (1969 season)," said Moorhead. "They didn't change the offense for me, I can tell you that.

"I think I held one record for running so many plays in one season," added Moorhead. "I was running the option, or throwing a pass on second or third and long. We hardly ever passed on first down."

Moorhead maintains it was a relatively easy task.

"All I had had to do was to run the belly option, the 'iso' option and down the line option. It sure got more sophisticated with the other quarterbacks that came through," said Moorhead. "All you have to do is look at those guys like Ricky (Leach), Steve Smith and let's not forget (Dennis) Franklin.

"The records were nice at the time, but I knew they weren't going to last."

Moorhead never really strayed far from home except for a six-year stint in the Canadian Football League.

The South Haven High School all-star was recruited by Colorado State, Western Michigan, Purdue, Stanford and Michigan State, but U-M assistant coach Hank Fonde really never had a worry that Moorhead was going anywhere else but Ann Arbor.

"It was really Michigan all the way," said Moorhead. "I really didn't get excited about the other schools; it was Michigan all the way."

After his pro career, he found himself back in west Michigan teaching. Now, the 63-year-old former All-Big Ten quarterback is retired from a 30-year teaching profession that included class room duties in history, geography and then physical education for the last 15 years of his career at Paw Paw High School. He and his family (wife Cheryl, and their three daughters -- Kristen, Jennifer and the youngest Tanner) have now made Oshtemo -- just outside of Kalamazoo -- their hometown.

"I was the head varsity coach, head JV coach and recently a head coach at a middle school program with football," said Moorhead. "And I guess I was like the old gym teacher because I also coached track, girls softball and basketball in the middle schools."

And while Paw Paw might have had few athletic stars to emerge from the city besides Detroit Tigers outfield Charlie Maxwell, Moorhead had one player that stands out as his best.

Jason Babin not only came back from a broken leg to play his senior season, he was a first-round NFL draft choice of the Houston Texans in 2004 and is now a defensive end for the Philadelphia Eagles.

"There is no doubt the game has really changed since I played," said Moorhead. "In fact, I think it was at our 10-year reunion, we went downstairs at Bo's house and we were watching film of the 1969 Michigan-Ohio State game.

"Bo said 'This is like watching antiques, the game has changed so much you wouldn't believe it.' The game had already changed that fast in such a short period."

Moorhead should understand change too. He was drafted by the New Orleans Saints, but they wanted him as running back. Moorhead would have none of that, packed his bags and went to the Northwest as quarterback for the British Columbia Lions of the CFL.

"Oh my goodness, now that change was like night and day," said Moorhead. "You have three downs, the field is wider, and you have 12 guys instead of 11, wow.

"I had to change my philosophy because you could have the greatest runners in the world, but you had to put the ball up in the air a lot and we didn't do a lot of that," added Moorhead. "The toughest thing I had to get used to was you have no timeouts in the CFL, so I had to call all my own plays in the huddle. You get up from a big hit standing there in the huddle and your mind goes blank. All you can do is take a delay of game penalty."

He played five years in B.C. and completed his career with one season in Edmonton before returning to Michigan.

Moorhead still stays in touch with his teammates, especially his college roommate, Paul Staroba. The two talk to each other almost daily. They also share a cottage in Hale, Mich.

"He pays for it and I do all the work," said Moorhead. "We have remained great friends."

Even though he knew he was going to Michigan all along, he never thought he would be a great U-M player.

"I did not think I would get to be the player I was," said Moorhead. "I always strived to be the best I can and there were better quarterbacks in the Big Ten and around the country.

"I just outworked them and my success was the result of the hard work."

Qman
Champion

David wrote:I agree with you B.C. FAN. A big part of the bleak period from '65 - '76 was sub-par quarterbacking. They just couldn't replace Joe Kapp.
add John Sciarra to the list too.
UCLA star, best QB in NCAA but his game wasn't suited to pro game, couldn't complete passes at a pro level. Amazing athlete though. A major recruiting coup for Lions, but they converted him to receiver after a couple games at QB and was a good receiver. Played safety in NFL too.

If Tagge hadn't blown out his knee in early 80s (he was only 29 at the time IIRC), we would have had a Offense as dominate as our great defense of the 1980s. And Vic Rapp would have been one the best coaches in CFL history. All that changed on one injury.
Last edited by Qman on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

I think perhaps too much was expected of Moorhead when he came up here. Despite playing in the Rose Bowl and setting 24 school records at Michigan, he played under Bo Schebechler's mostly running/option style offense. He actually did have a couple of great passing games in his first season (1971) - on the road in Winnipeg in a 31-31 tie, and the final game of season, a 31-7 victory over Calgary at Empire. But his career up here was mostly 'could've's, should've's' thanks in part to a series of injuries.

Some interesting quotes from John Wirtenen's book "Thrown To The Lions":

"In a 1992 program interview with Gary Kingston, Moorhead says, "You know, I had problems early on with the people booing me. But there was a point in time I just said, "Oh, to hell with them. If it's not good enough, it's not good enough. I think about the guys on the team all the time.....we had great camaraderie, great fun. On days off we'd go up to Squamish to go fishing in the mountains."

And this one was interesting too:

"In 1981 centre Al Wilson tell sportswriter Jim Taylor, "Donnie was a smart, intelligent, knowledgeable quarterback. He did lack the throwing ability. He didn't have the arm. But he ran the running game better than anyone I've ever given the ball to. Donnie knew where to run the ball. He could look at a defence and know where he wanted to attack. When he had to drop back and throw the ball, well, he wasn't the most superlative athlete to do that."

September 6, 1971. Saskatchewan 35, B.C. 14. Ouch!

Triumverate of great Michigan quarterbacks. Rick Leach, Don Moorhead, Jim Harbaugh.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

1990-91 DT Deatrich Wise:
ImageImage

A more recent picture and profile about him written by Jackson State University:
http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/20 ... rich-wise/
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Local former Lion all-star Kevin Konar is now a Vice-President & Portfolio Manager in the Wealth Management department of RBC Dominion Securities since 1993.

If you are looking to an Investment Advisor, how about hiring Kevin Konar as a reward to his great contributions as a Lion.

http://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/kevin ... t-the-team
http://ca.rbcwealthmanagement.com/kevin.konar/home
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Ravi
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 pm
Bill "The Undertaker" Baker about to pounce on Argos QB Mike Rae, circa 1974.

This would be from the 1975 season as the Argos played in B.C. in 1973, 1975 and 1977. Rae was there in 1975.
Ravi
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:41 pm
A belated Throwback Thursday posting on by far the least popular of all the BC Lions CFL Most Outstanding Players - David Williams.

http://performanceabovepotential.com/th ... our-craft/

ImageImage
Why was David Williams so unpopular in B.C.?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 am
Why was David Williams so unpopular in B.C.?
probably the media had something to do with it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I wouldn't say David Williams was "unpopular" . He just wouldn't be considered in the same class as, say, Swervin' Mervyn. And he only spent two seasons here.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Ravi wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:39 am
David wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 pm
Bill "The Undertaker" Baker about to pounce on Argos QB Mike Rae, circa 1974.

This would be from the 1975 season as the Argos played in B.C. in 1973, 1975 and 1977. Rae was there in 1975.
"Louuuu" would refer to Lou Harris, who was with the Lions 1973-76? Passaglia didn't arrive until 1976.
David
Team Captain

You are correct, Coast Mountain Lion. In fact, I don't know which city started chants of "Louuuu," but I distinctly recall hearing at for Lou Harris at Empire Stadium in the mid-70s. That would be a good bar bet to have with someone ('though difficult to prove): "who was the first Vancouver athlete to be serenaded by chants of Louuuu?" Most will say Passaglia (then appropriated by Canucks fans for Luongo). But it was actually running back Lou Harris.

He and Monroe Eley are in the CFL record books as the only two 1,000 yard rushers on the same team in the same year (1974).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

David wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm
You are correct, Coast Mountain Lion. In fact, I don't know which city started chants of "Louuuu," but I distinctly recall hearing at for Lou Harris at Empire Stadium in the mid-70s. That would be a good bar bet to have with someone ('though difficult to prove): "who was the first Vancouver athlete to be serenaded by chants of Louuuu?" Most will say Passaglia (then appropriated by Canucks fans for Luongo). But it was actually running back Lou Harris.

He and Monroe Eley are in the CFL record books as the only two 1,000 yard rushers on the same team in the same year (1974).

I remember hearing it for Lou Nanne, who played for the Minnesota North Stars in the late 60s-mid 70s. And possibly around the same time for Lou Angotti with the Blackhawks.