Durant Traded to Montreal.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
squishy35 wrote:Rumor now is that Sask is going to be negotiating for Drew Tate...

Arash Madani is feeding Twitter with a suggestion this may happen.
Tate is 32, hasn't played much in his career and can be a hothead. He has had only two seasons in which he's thrown more than 100 passes. He's a 66% career passer with 32 TDs and 15 INTs on a perennially great team. I don't see him as a good option for a young, rebuilding team.
And then there is Tate's quirky personality...not a good fit with Jones me thinks.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
squishy35 wrote:Rumor now is that Sask is going to be negotiating for Drew Tate...

Arash Madani is feeding Twitter with a suggestion this may happen.
Tate is 32, hasn't played much in his career and can be a hothead. He has had only two seasons in which he's thrown more than 100 passes. He's a 66% career passer with 32 TDs and 15 INTs on a perennially great team. I don't see him as a good option for a young, rebuilding team.
And then there is Tate's quirky personality...not a good fit with Jones me thinks.
Speaking of quirky personality (or perhaps more accurately a narcissistic personality), Duran Carter appears to be heading to the Riders according to Gary Lawless. Jones and Carter...chalk meet cheese.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Jones is a no nonsense kind of guy and Carter, well he has no sense so maybe Jones can straighten Carter out. Carter will eventually mature, I guess.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:Jones is a no nonsense kind of guy and Carter, well he has no sense so maybe Jones can straighten Carter out. Carter will eventually mature, I guess.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen... The dude is 25 years old and shows no sign of appreciating just how crummy his attitude is; if that hasn't sunk into his psyche by now, then he isn't worth the time and effort in attempting to mold him.

I can see how he came to be the man-child he is today if his dad had any role to play in mentoring Duron. The turd-blossom doesn't fall far from the tree....

Ultimately, I am glad his toxicity is going to impact on a divisional rival.
CardiacKid
Legend

Intriguing piece over at 3DownNation.com by Drew Edwards entitled "Decision to deal Durant all about Chris Jones and his ego".

http://3downnation.com/2017/01/13/decis ... jones-ego/

This excerpt stood out..."Trading Durant, a hugely popular figure is Saskatchewan, will eat up whatever remaining goodwill he had after coming over from Edmonton. He’ll be based on performance alone now and if the Riders fail to find a quarterback and fall flat on their faces next season, Jones may walk the plank as a result. This could be a career-defining move for him."

How the hell can anyone expect a team to succeed in the CFL without a decent starting QB?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Intriguing piece over at 3DownNation.com by Drew Edwards entitled "Decision to deal Durant all about Chris Jones and his ego".

This excerpt stood out..."Trading Durant, a hugely popular figure is Saskatchewan, will eat up whatever remaining goodwill he had after coming over from Edmonton. He’ll be based on performance alone now and if the Riders fail to find a quarterback and fall flat on their faces next season, Jones may walk the plank as a result. This could be a career-defining move for him."

How the hell can anyone expect a team to succeed in the CFL without a decent starting QB?
The Riders backup QB for 2016 was Mitchell Gale and I think he is about to become a free agent. So no starter and no backup. It will be a season long training camp type rotation at QB. A multi QB controversy with no clear starter. Oh, and the best potential FA, not named Durant is Nichols and he just re-signed today with the Bombers.

My prediction for 2017: The Riders new stadium will be sprouting hundreds of fans wearing paper bags on their heads by Labour Day.

Another tire fire in Regina. Who's got the popcorn as it should be a good show over at Riderfans all season and off season. :popcorn:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Intriguing piece over at 3DownNation.com by Drew Edwards entitled "Decision to deal Durant all about Chris Jones and his ego".

The Riders backup QB for 2016 was Mitchell Gale and I think he is about to become a free agent. So no starter and no backup. It will be a season long training camp type rotation at QB. A multi QB controversy with no clear starter. Oh, and the best potential FA, not named Durant is Nichols and he just re-signed today with the Bombers.

My prediction for 2017: The Riders new stadium will be sprouting hundreds of fans wearing paper bags on their heads by Labour Day.

Another tire fire in Regina. Who's got the popcorn as it should be a good show over at Riderfans all season and off season. :popcorn:
Yeah and their fans like to point to Montreal and Toronto and proclaim those teams gong shows. Their green blinders won't let them see that Chuck Barris has his fingerprints on their squad.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:

Yeah and their fans like to point to Montreal and Toronto and proclaim those teams gong shows. Their green blinders won't let them see that Chuck Barris has his fingerprints on their squad.
I'm not sure if I should know this or not but who is Chuck Barris?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chuck Barris, Host of the Gong Show
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Chuck Barris, Host of the Gong Show
too bad we cant gong trump, but I digress....
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Not just host but creator and producer. Chuck also created "The Dating Game" and "The Newlywed Game".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:

I WISH they had Chuck Barris (or Jaye P. Morgan or Gene Gene the Dancing Machine) at the helm. At least they would be entertaining to watch; check out the link below to get an UNCENSORED taste of the Gong Show. Not necessarily work-safe.

IMO the Riders were the most dreary team to watch in the league last year...
Blitz
Team Captain

For some fans, I believe their dislike of Chris Jones is impacting their viewpoint a little too much. Darian Durrant has often been injured during the past few seasons. He is still good enough to be a bona fide starter in the CFL, no question and Montreal got him in the trade while not giving up very much.

But there are a number of quarterbacks who could come into Regina and do a good job. Brandon Bridge could compete internally. Who knows who will line up under center for the Riders next season - it could be Matt Nichols, Ricky Ray, Travis Lulay, Franklin, Drew Tate or none of them. Rebuliding a team is a painful process and Jones, in spite of some of the dubious things he does, is not stupid. This trade may work out best for both teams. Durrant may benefit from a fresh start somewhere else and the Riders may benefit as well by going in a new direction at quarterback.

Its really too early to know how this decision will work out.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Not just host but creator and producer. Chuck also created "The Dating Game" and "The Newlywed Game".
A beauty reference Hambone. :wink:

Ego-Jones is not just HC there, but GM and overall inscrutable football genius - to some Riderfans anyhow. The Gong Show in Riderville should be fun to watch again this season, but does Jones still have lots of rope there with the new Stadium and re-build mode, or do the natives get restless if their record is well sub .500 by Labour Day?