Solomon is back! Merry Christmas

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

green road kill
Rookie

Merry Xmass from the LAND OF FROZEN FLAT. Is Santa a Lion fan ? could be. This is shapeing up to be quite an off season , not even January and three big names off the list. Way to go Wally.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great guy. Great signing. Merry Christmas. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Great news. He has proven his value. He and Bighill provide much-needed veteran leadership on a defence that will likely be much younger next year.
David
Team Captain

Fantastic news. Solly is a great guy and one of the best players to ever play defense for our Leos.

We need to win another championship - hopefully this signing will help get us there!

I thought I heard this morning that it's a 2-year deal worth $450,000 (so presumably, 225K per season).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

According to Farhan Lalji, Elimimian will be the highest paid defensive player in the league. Only seems appropriate and fair having won MODP twice in 3 years along with MOP and numerous All Star nods.

The negotiations seemed to have been very straightforward with little or no posturing on either side; Solomon didn't seem to be holding out or fishing for a deal elsewhere. I wonder if any other team was entertaining the hope he would enter the market?
Last edited by CardiacKid on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 4h4 hours ago

The #BCLions sign linebacker Solomon Elimimian to a 2 year deal worth 225,000 dollars per year, incentives take deal to 245,000.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Santa came early to the Lions.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Like David (and others have) said -- one of the best to ever play for our Lions -- and IMO one of the best to ever play for our league. (When Mr. Elimimian's career is over and done we'll be truly astonished at what we had here in him -- regards both him as a player and him as a man.)

Yup, let's put it all together now Wally -- thanks for delivering this timely honkin'-big parcel wrapped in orange. That's the spirit! (But, more! -- lol, please and thanks!) Somebody keep serving him that mulled wine he must be drinking (that strikes me as a generous -- but of course entirely deserving -- deal). Lucky us!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wally has his critics but when it comes to retaining key core veterans he always seems to methodically get through the process of re-signing re-signing the ones he really wants to keep.

Having taken care of SolE, JJ and Rainey he has addressed key parts of D, running game and return game. The Biggie situation will take care of itself in in next 5 weeks. Guys like Brooks, Leone and Burnham will be backburnered until their NFL options resolve themselves. Next priorities will be be Canadian content in Steward, Westerman and Lokombo.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Kudos to Wally for getting Solly re-signed. Managing the cap seems to be a Wally strong point and he has a good record of re-signing vets and FA guys who have returned to the CFL after trying the NFL.

The really successful vets are very demanding of themselves and I think they like playing for Wally because he demands (challenges) the best out of everyone. :good:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Wally has his critics but when it comes to retaining key core veterans he always seems to methodically get through the process of re-signing re-signing the ones he really wants to keep.

Having taken care of SolE, JJ and Rainey he has addressed key parts of D, running game and return game. The Biggie situation will take care of itself in in next 5 weeks. Guys like Brooks, Leone and Burnham will be backburnered until their NFL options resolve themselves. Next priorities will be be Canadian content in Steward, Westerman and Lokombo.
I sure hope you're right Hambone. I would really like to see all three of Steward, Westerman and Lokombo signed. Steward is a stud and I believe he was our best offensive lineman in 2016, better than Oliofioye in fact. I know Biggie is a fan favorite and he is a good cover linebacker, a decent blitzer, and he has outstanding close out speed. But he also gets blocked too easily at times and he had a few whiffs this season as well.

I really believe its Lokombo time. He's a National to boot. Lokombo is but not sure if Wally will see it that way. He runs a 4.6 40 yard dash on average and has run a 4.52 40. He's 6'3, goes between 232 pounds of chiseled muscle, and very athletic. Lokombo was the top-ranked player in two of the three draft rankings put out by the CFL, even prior to his senior year at Oregon. Draftniks pointed out Lokombo’s NFL size (6’3, 225), power, instincts and credible speed typically in the 4.5-4.7 range) made his a big risk for the CFL draft, anticipating that he would be drafted in the NFL and suggested that whatever CFL team drafted him would have to make peace with the gamble, since he could be another Atogwe.

The gamble of drafting Lokombo in the third round turned out very well for our Leos.

In 2015, Lokombo had 24 defensive tackles and 24 special team tackles but this season he was used less, and had 9 defensive tackles and 11 special team tackles. A different scenario was expected this season, where Lokombo was supposed to make a big impact.

But Lokombo did not get unleashed this season by Wally and Washington for whatever reason, even though they said they would. I'm sure other CFL teams would be interested in him as a National with outstanding potential.
Lions ready to unleash linebacker Bo Lokombo in 2016

Canadian Press   May 6, 2016

SURREY, B.C. — Mark Washington looked over at Bo Lokombo after one of the B.C. Lions’ mini-camp sessions last week and marvelled.
After two seasons spent learning the system and contributing on special teams, the club’s defensive co-ordinator declared it was time to unleash the 25-year-old on the rest of the CFL.

"Bo’s a very talented young man," said Washington. "It’s time to let him loose."

The Lions knew they had an impressive physical specimen when they drafted the University of Oregon linebacker in 2013, but it wasn’t clear where he fit in three-down football when he finally joined the club partway through the following season.

A chiselled six foot two and 233 pounds, was he better suited as a linebacker or as a safety?

Heading into a third CFL campaign, Washington made it clear where he expects Lokombo to line up in 2016.

"He's a linebacker," Washington said, before repeating himself: "He's a linebacker. I mean, look at him."

Lokombo -- who was born in Congo, but moved with his family in 1996 to Montreal and then eventually Abbotsford, B.C. -- led the CFL in special teams tackles last season, and said he's confident he can handle more responsibilities on defence after spot duty the last two years.

"They want to get a role for me," said the soft-spoken Lokombo. "We have Solomon (Elimimian) and (Adam) Bighill, two great all-stars. They want me to come in here and help contribute to the team."

Lions head coach and general manager Wally Buono, back on the sidelines this season for the first time since 2011, is eager to see what Lokombo can do.

"His role last year was more significant," said Buono. "When you look at his production, it's warranted looking at getting him more involved. He's a tremendous athlete.

"When he played on defence he made plays for us."

But as with most young players, the learning curve from college to the pros can be steep. The Lions are confident Lokombo is ready to take the next step where he simply reacts on the field without having to think.

"We had a firm idea of what he was, but until you see it on the field you don't know," said Washington. "More importantly, he needed to figure out what he wanted to do here on the field and get used to the CFL game.

"He's starting to catch up to speed now."

Lokombo didn't have to show up to the Lions' two-day mini-camp for mostly first- and second-year players, but the club was glad to have him there soaking up as much information as possible.

"We definitely want to expand his role," said Buono. "When you look at the athlete and you look at the fact he helps you with the ratio, there's lots to be excited about."
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cjones2451
Rookie

If Purifoy gets a shot back in the NFL, do you think Lokombo gets a shot in that spot or so they want a true SAM ?

Blitz wrote:
Hambone wrote:Wally has his critics but when it comes to retaining key core veterans he always seems to methodically get through the process of re-signing re-signing the ones he really wants to keep.

I sure hope you're right Hambone. I would really like to see all three of Steward, Westerman and Lokombo signed. Steward is a stud and I believe he was our best offensive lineman in 2016, better than Oliofioye in fact. I know Biggie is a fan favorite and he is a good cover linebacker, a decent blitzer, and he has outstanding close out speed. But he also gets blocked too easily at times and he had a few whiffs this season as well.

I really believe its Lokombo time. He's a National to boot. Lokombo is but not sure if Wally will see it that way. He runs a 4.6 40 yard dash on average and has run a 4.52 40. He's 6'3, goes between 232 pounds of chiseled muscle, and very athletic. Lokombo was the top-ranked player in two of the three draft rankings put out by the CFL, even prior to his senior year at Oregon. Draftniks pointed out Lokombo’s NFL size (6’3, 225), power, instincts and credible speed typically in the 4.5-4.7 range) made his a big risk for the CFL draft, anticipating that he would be drafted in the NFL and suggested that whatever CFL team drafted him would have to make peace with the gamble, since he could be another Atogwe.

The gamble of drafting Lokombo in the third round turned out very well for our Leos.

In 2015, Lokombo had 24 defensive tackles and 24 special team tackles but this season he was used less, and had 9 defensive tackles and 11 special team tackles. A different scenario was expected this season, where Lokombo was supposed to make a big impact.

But Lokombo did not get unleashed this season by Wally and Washington for whatever reason, even though they said they would. I'm sure other CFL teams would be interested in him as a National with outstanding potential.
Lions ready to unleash linebacker Bo Lokombo in 2016

Canadian Press   May 6, 2016

SURREY, B.C. — Mark Washington looked over at Bo Lokombo after one of the B.C. Lions’ mini-camp sessions last week and marvelled.
After two seasons spent learning the system and contributing on special teams, the club’s defensive co-ordinator declared it was time to unleash the 25-year-old on the rest of the CFL.

"Bo’s a very talented young man," said Washington. "It’s time to let him loose."

The Lions knew they had an impressive physical specimen when they drafted the University of Oregon linebacker in 2013, but it wasn’t clear where he fit in three-down football when he finally joined the club partway through the following season.

A chiselled six foot two and 233 pounds, was he better suited as a linebacker or as a safety?

Heading into a third CFL campaign, Washington made it clear where he expects Lokombo to line up in 2016.

"He's a linebacker," Washington said, before repeating himself: "He's a linebacker. I mean, look at him."

Lokombo -- who was born in Congo, but moved with his family in 1996 to Montreal and then eventually Abbotsford, B.C. -- led the CFL in special teams tackles last season, and said he's confident he can handle more responsibilities on defence after spot duty the last two years.

"They want to get a role for me," said the soft-spoken Lokombo. "We have Solomon (Elimimian) and (Adam) Bighill, two great all-stars. They want me to come in here and help contribute to the team."

Lions head coach and general manager Wally Buono, back on the sidelines this season for the first time since 2011, is eager to see what Lokombo can do.

"His role last year was more significant," said Buono. "When you look at his production, it's warranted looking at getting him more involved. He's a tremendous athlete.

"When he played on defence he made plays for us."

But as with most young players, the learning curve from college to the pros can be steep. The Lions are confident Lokombo is ready to take the next step where he simply reacts on the field without having to think.

"We had a firm idea of what he was, but until you see it on the field you don't know," said Washington. "More importantly, he needed to figure out what he wanted to do here on the field and get used to the CFL game.

"He's starting to catch up to speed now."

Lokombo didn't have to show up to the Lions' two-day mini-camp for mostly first- and second-year players, but the club was glad to have him there soaking up as much information as possible.

"We definitely want to expand his role," said Buono. "When you look at the athlete and you look at the fact he helps you with the ratio, there's lots to be excited about."
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I too have wondered if Lokombo can play nickleback if Purifoy does not return, or could Lokombo play free safety?

I think that the only way to re-sign Lokombo is to pay him starter's $ and have him start somewhere on D. So now with Solly signed I am hoping that Bighill makes it in the NFL and then the Lions can offer Lokombo the chance to start at LB beside Solly; something that would seem more attractive to Lokombo than what other teams can offer. :cr: