Solomon is back! Merry Christmas

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionsfan65
Starter

David wrote:
NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 4h4 hours ago

The #BCLions sign linebacker Solomon Elimimian to a 2 year deal worth 225,000 dollars per year, incentives take deal to 245,000.

DH :cool:
That's a pretty good bit of cash. I wonder if Wally was visited by three ghosts this week. Elimimian is worth every penny though.
Lionsfan65
Starter

DanoT wrote:I too have wondered if Lokombo can play nickleback if Purifoy does not return, or could Lokombo play free safety?

I think that the only way to re-sign Lokombo is to pay him starter's $ and have him start somewhere on D. So now with Solly signed I am hoping that Bighill makes it in the NFL and then the Lions can offer Lokombo the chance to start at LB beside Solly; something that would seem more attractive to Lokombo than what other teams can offer. :cr:
Most teams seem to prefer a smaller DB type in the 195 to 210 pound range to play nickel, but Lokombo does have pretty good speed. Either way I really do hope that he gets resigned too.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionsfan65 wrote:
DanoT wrote:I too have wondered if Lokombo can play nickleback if Purifoy does not return, or could Lokombo play free safety?

I think that the only way to re-sign Lokombo is to pay him starter's $ and have him start somewhere on D. So now with Solly signed I am hoping that Bighill makes it in the NFL and then the Lions can offer Lokombo the chance to start at LB beside Solly; something that would seem more attractive to Lokombo than what other teams can offer. :cr:
Most teams seem to prefer a smaller DB type in the 195 to 210 pound range to play nickel, but Lokombo does have pretty good speed. Either way I really do hope that he gets resigned too.
Lokombo's speed is similar to Bighill's. He may even be a bit slower. They're both best-suited to the WILl position in a base defence. Bighill is a better player and has much better instincts. I can't see them both starting on the same team.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Lionsfan65 wrote:

Lokombo's speed is similar to Bighill's. He may even be a bit slower. They're both best-suited to the WILl position in a base defence. Bighill is a better player and has much better instincts. I can't see them both starting on the same team.
Bighill's average time in the 40 yd. in college was 4.59. Lokombo's was 4.52. They have very similar speed. Lokombo was considered the better player in college, based on scout ratings. Bighill has a lot more experience but that doesn't mean that Lokombo couldn't become a better player than Bighill.

Calgary started Alex Singleton part way through the season at middle linebacker as a raw rookie and released Reed, who was a key off-season signing for the Stamps. Singleton runs a 4.62 40 yard dash. While he doesn't have great straight ahead speed he relies on his instincts and awareness to set him up to make a play. Singleton played in the FCS at college, not the higher level competition of NCAA football and yet Singleton did a great job for the Stamps.

No reason why Lokombo couldn't do the same for us. Lokombo was rated higher than Singleton in his draft year for the CFL draft. Lokombo's National status would also allow us to play an import safety.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Right now it's possible neither is back in the CFL for training camp. Like Biggie Lokombo has also been getting NFL looks.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

When one breaks down the CFL FA Tracker for BC pending FAs it's easier to see where Wally's immediate opportunities might lie.

Total - 24
Retired/retiring - 2
Extended - 4

Available to sign - 18
Recovering from long term injury - 4 (Moore, Lee Clarke, Yell)
NFL Workouts (at least 6) - Bazzie, Brooks, Burnham, Leone, Lokombo, Gaitor,
I haven't seen Sinkfield's name amongst tryout yet.
It leaves only 7 or 8 that Wally can at least have discussions with.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wally is probably lounging on the beach in Hawaii right now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wally is probably lounging on the beach in Hawaii right now.
Don't know if he does Hawaii anymore. I think he has a place in Arizona now.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Alex Bazzie and Bryan Burnham are continuing to make the rounds of NFL teams. According to various sources, they were among eight CFL players who worked out with the Cincinnati Bengals after practice on Thursday. Others in the group were WR Darvin Adams (Winnipeg), WR Derel Walker (Edmonton), LB Frank Beltre (Calgary), LB Deon Lacey (Edmonton), DE Cleyon Laing (Ottawa) and DB Mitchell White (Montreal).

Earlier this month, Burnham, Bazzie and Richie Leone worked out for the Arizona Cardinals, and Burnham, Bazzie and Mic'hael Brooks were among several CFL players who worked out for the New York Jets. Brooks also has reportedly had tryouts with Minnesota, New England and Dallas.

I haven't heard much about Adam Bighill getting NFL tryouts. He seems to be sticking close to home lately and tweeting a lot about the World Juniors. I didn't know he was a hockey fan.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:Alex Bazzie and Bryan Burnham are continuing to make the rounds of NFL teams. According to various sources, they were among eight CFL players who worked out with the Cincinnati Bengals after practice on Thursday. Others in the group were WR Darvin Adams (Winnipeg), WR Derel Walker (Edmonton), LB Frank Beltre (Calgary), LB Deon Lacey (Edmonton), DE Cleyon Laing (Ottawa) and DB Mitchell White (Montreal).

Earlier this month, Burnham, Bazzie and Richie Leone worked out for the Arizona Cardinals, and Burnham, Bazzie and Mic'hael Brooks were among several CFL players who worked out for the New York Jets. Brooks also has reportedly had tryouts with Minnesota, New England and Dallas.

I haven't heard much about Adam Bighill getting NFL tryouts. He seems to be sticking close to home lately and tweeting a lot about the World Juniors. I didn't know he was a hockey fan.
Adams, Burnham, Walker are probably the top 3 FA receivers in the CFL. It doesn't seem too likely that an NFL team would sign all three. Bazzie is too small to play DE in the NFL, so he needs to try out for a team that plays a lot of 3-4 defense where he gets slotted in as an outside linebacker.

Am I right in assuming that no FA actually get signed by a NFL team until CFL free agency begins officially in mid February, after the NFL season is over?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Technically NFL teams can't sign player under contract in the CFL. In recent years I think it has however been common for CFL teams to allow pending FAs their release prior to FA day if they have been offered a deal. Might as well because the player will end up taking the NFL deal anyways.