2017 CFL Draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/draft-tracker/

Lions get 3 picks in the 1st two rounds.
Lionsfan65
Starter

There are a couple of BC guys in the top 10 rankings.
http://www.cfl.ca/2016/12/08/auclair-sk ... -rankings/
CardiacKid
Legend

Don't know a thing about him but Auclair from Laval looks intriguing, if only for his size. I would assume he is a physical receiver that can dish out some punishment, maybe be an effective blocker. All guess work on my part....
I was hoping the Lions would pick Brian Jones from the last draft, a solid guy in the mould of Jason Clermont. Manny is a physical receiver in that he will steamroll the occasional DB but having a National doing the same would be great.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Don't know a thing about him but Auclair from Laval looks intriguing, if only for his size. I would assume he is a physical receiver that can dish out some punishment, maybe be an effective blocker. All guess work on my part....
I was hoping the Lions would pick Brian Jones from the last draft, a solid guy in the mould of Jason Clermont. Manny is a physical receiver in that he will steamroll the occasional DB but having a National doing the same would be great.
Lions have a plethora of national receivers in their stables: Gore, Iannuzzi, Adekolu, Bltazko, and Shaq Johnson
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Indeed, I would like a nice Canadian DLineman if such a thing exists as well as maybe a Canadian RB a la Messam. We of course could always use OLine men.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Good, deep crop at O-line this coming draft IMO; and looks like a few very good DT prospects - Ankou (UCLA), Ekatie (Iowa) and Vaughan (Fordham) from US college ball, plus Junior Luke (Montreal) and Sam Narkaj (Concordia) - both have been CIS all-star DTs.

Lions should be able to address both those positions, plus another in holding 3 of the top 16 picks this coming draft = nice position.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:Good, deep crop at O-line this coming draft IMO; and looks like a few very good DT prospects - Ankou (UCLA), Ekatie (Iowa) and Vaughan (Fordham) from US college ball, plus Junior Luke (Montreal) and Sam Narkaj (Concordia) - both have been CIS all-star DTs.

Lions should be able to address both those positions, plus another in holding 3 of the top 16 picks this coming draft = nice position.
Good info, as usual, OV.

DTs

Eli Ankou, 6'3'' 290

Faith Ekakitie 6'3'' 290

Justin Vaughn 6'5'' 287

Gotta love the Canadian football talent that keeps on getting deeper and better. :thup: IMO

IMO we should draft an OL and a DL every year. This year, with a seeming bumper crop of hogs, one hopes we get a couple of them.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Laval TE Antony Auclair and Manitoba G Geoff Gray probably boosted their draft stock and turned a lot of American heads with their performance Saturday in the East-West Shine Game at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Auclair, ranked second in the CFL Scouting Bureau's December rankings, caught two passes for 21 yards for the East team on the only two passes thrown his way and did a good job blocking. He also showed an ability to adapt to U.S. rules by going in motion across the formation and resetting on the opposite end of the line before the snap. On one reception he went airborne to take on two defenders, a la Stephen Adekolu or Nik Lewis. He didn't hurdle them but he earned accolades from the NFL Network commentators.

Gray, ranked fifth by the CFL Scouting Bureau, rotated at right guard for the West team and earned rare attention from the same commentators when he blew a hole open for his running back to score the game's only touchdown from 18 yards. On the replays, the commentators gushed about how his block, not on the effort of the running back, was the key to the touchdown. Gray showed good power all day, stayed on his blocks until the whistle and pulled smoothly on a counter play to the left side. He was beaten once by powerful Louisville DT DeAngelo Brown but he wasn't alone. Brown led all players with three tackles for a loss and was named one of the defensive standouts of the game.

Mississippi State OT Justin Senior, the CFL Scouting Bureau's top-ranked prospect, was selected to play in the Shrine Game but opted instead to accept an invitation to next week's conveniently named Senior Bowl, where he'll face a better crop of NFL draft prospects. And like many top-ranked CFL prospects in recent years, Senior will probably go the NFL before he ever comes north to play, so he'll likely fall out of the first round of the CFL draft.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Don't know a thing about him but Auclair from Laval looks intriguing, if only for his size. I would assume he is a physical receiver that can dish out some punishment, maybe be an effective blocker. All guess work on my part....
Lions have a plethora of national receivers in their stables: Gore, Iannuzzi, Adekolu, Bltazko, and Shaq Johnson
A plethora? Sort of. I don't think they look away from one if he's the next man on their board. Gore and Iannuzzi will both be 30 when camp opens up. Adekolu turned 28 on Friday so he isn't getting any younger. While Gore only missed 2 games from it last year there seem to be vibes about concussion concerns with Gore. Iannuzzi also has dealt with them in his career. Marco is a pending FA. He has yet to re-sign. Given his age and off-field career I think retirement for him isn't far off. That he hasn't signed yet could also be a sign that the Lions are thinking it's time to make some room and playing time for one of the 3 younger guys.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Two CFL draft prospects were on display Saturday in the the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, the most prestigious and final U.S. college all-star game.

Justin Senior, OT, Mississippi State, 6-5, 322
Ranked No. 1 in the latest CFL draft rankings, Senior started at right tackle for the south team. Projected as a possible NFL draft pick, he displayed some serious technical flaws that must be addressed before he can be a starter at the next level. His upright stance and high centre of gravity were noted by scouts during the practice week as making him too easy to knock off balance by a defender with an inside or power move. That was evident during the game when he was awkwardly driven back into the quarterback on a bull rush, forcing a pass to flutter up in the air for an interception. Senior showed quick feet and much better technique against edge rushers and made some good blocks to spring rushers in the running game but he remains a prospect with a good upside but uncertain immediate future.

Here's some video of Senior (#58) in his Senior Bowl practices:

Jordan Herdman, inside linebacker, SFU, 5-11, 238
Herdman, ranked No. 16 in the latest CFL draft rankings, played inside linebacker for the north team. NFL Network commentators drew attention to his Canadian background and to "tiny Simon Fraser" in the first half when he flattened an opposing running back who broke through to the second level. It was his only notable play of the game. Overall, he looked indecisive and was often caught in no-man's land, too slow to drop into coverage and or come up to stop the run. Still, as a late invitee from an NCAA Division 2 school, he turned some heads during the week and had his agent boldly talking about him being a priority NFL free-agent signing after the draft, according to Mike Beamish.

SFU’s Jordan Herdman catching NFL eyes on Senior Bowl stage