Annual Locker Room Sale

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Anyone make it down to BC Place yesterday? Got there around 10:50 so about 10 minutes left in the exclusive season ticket holders' window. Game worn jerseys were going for $250 and helmets $350. Jennings, Elliminian, Bighill, Arceneaux and Lulay's jerseys and helmets were via a silent auction.

Even getting there almost an hour after doors opened a lot of jerseys were left and I thought those were the best deal, especially Burnham, Johnson, Gore and Olafioye.
Burnham, Johnson and Gore's were gone by the time I left around noon and the crowd had thinned out considerably by then. The line-up for the general public was around 20 or so when I arrived.

Expect them to do a follow up sale at the Surrey facility within the next couple of weeks.
David
Team Captain

This event has greatly changed over the years. It used to be more of a locker room sale, where you could obtain more official team apparel (worn by players and coaches), to what it is today: basically mark-downs on an inventory of licensed apparel that is sold on the concourse during home games - plus the obligatory jerseys, helmets, and footballs.

My season ticket partner and I got there early and were among the first dozen or so in line. By the time the doors opened just before 10:00am, I'd say there were about 100-125 people lined up.

Observations:

* I looked through the jerseys and didn't end up purchasing one due to the way the sleeves are cut. It would be very difficult to actually wear one of these; they'd be better to hang on a wall. Most of the 'big name' player jerseys were not in great shape either due to Adidas's fabric.
* The 'silent' auction was just that. Pretty silent. Not many people filling out the forms to bid big $$ for the premium jerseys, opting instead for what was there.
* Most helmets that were left were heavily chipped, especially the face-masks. I wasn't going to buy one due to the logo design which still hasn't grown on me.
* Overall, I didn't find the prices too inviting (not surprising for a regime that tends to gouge) - and haven't been super-competitive for the past several years. Most of the licensed apparel such as T-shirts that I liked, I had already bought during the year (using my season ticket holder discount). Steepest discounts are for inventory that's several years old (like 'Roar On The Shore' Grey Cup wear).
* The event itself is well-staffed. The free coffee and pancake breakfast was a nice touch, although my friend and I opted instead for a proper breakfast out after the event.
* If they're encouraging early birds (their season ticket holders), why aren't there any players on-hand at the start? No one was available for a meet and greet the whole time we were there. No Felions present either.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Anyone make it down to BC Place yesterday? Got there around 10:50 so about 10 minutes left in the exclusive season ticket holders' window. Game worn jerseys were going for $250 and helmets $350.
Seems up a bit from last year. I've already forgotten what I paid but I think I got Olafioye's helmet and home jersey for $450 total which was quite a bit better deal than some Rider fans told me game worn gear was going for out there. Since I'm much too far away from the Vancouver to justify a trip in for the sale I phoned the Lions office a week or so later to see if they had anything left over. They may have knocked the price down a bit on the leftovers.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:* Most helmets that were left were heavily chipped, especially the face-masks.
To me that's what makes things like helmets attractive. I like my game worn gear to look, well, game worn. Kato might have mellowed in his old age. I think he used to have a rep for squeezing every last drop out of game jerseys and helmets. If there were no changes forthcoming in the colours, trim, font etc for the next season and everything was still in good shape he'd try to get another year out of it before it made the locker room sale.
The_Pauser
Legend

Ended up buying Bryan Burnham's home helmet. Had the away one in my hand but put it back because the one I really liked was the home one. Ended up grabbing breakfast (found the pancakes to be kinda cold) and went back and saw someone had put the home version back so I quickly took that one.

Didn't see the Solomon jersey or helmet at the auction, but I would be shocked if it wasn't included in that. Honestly hated that silent auction idea. In past years they were included with the rest of the team, and I was able to pick up a Solly jersey, Lulay jersey, Arceneaux helmet, Bighill helmet. But I'm glad I was lucky enough to get a Burnham helmet this year as I think if he stays around he'll be a big star in the league, or if he goes to the NFL he could carve out a nice career down there.

Other than that, I was very disappointed with the rest of the sale. In previous years (especially last year) they had a lot more stock to sell. This year it was basically just the same quantity as a regular game, with some things not even being on sale. I thought the $25 grab bags were stupid and didn't seem to be selling. They say it's a $50 value but who knows what's even in them. And they had a rack full of Grey Cup shirts/jackets for $10 but it didn't look like anyone was really going for those.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote: * I looked through the jerseys and didn't end up purchasing one due to the way the sleeves are cut. It would be very difficult to actually wear one of these; they'd be better to hang on a wall. Most of the 'big name' player jerseys were not in great shape either due to Adidas's fabric.

DH :cool:
Most of those jerseys would have to end up in a shadow box. Could not believe how small they were. Mike Edem's look like an extra small you would buy at the Gap. Charles Vaillancourt's was probably they only one I could comfortable wear and I am not huge.

The pullover/jackets were 2 for $70. My friend wanted to buy just one but was told it wouldn't be as big of discount. He argued saying there was nothing else in his size (adult large) so they ended up giving it to him for $35.
Didn't see the Solomon jersey or helmet at the auction, but I would be shocked if it wasn't included in that. Honestly hated that silent auction idea. In past years they were included with the rest of the team, and I was able to pick up a Solly jersey, Lulay jersey, Arceneaux helmet, Bighill helmet. But I'm glad I was lucky enough to get a Burnham helmet this year as I think if he stays around he'll be a big star in the league, or if he goes to the NFL he could carve out a nice career down there.
You're right. I just assumed it was there because I didn't see his jersey on the rack. Was actually surprised Burnham's stuff was among the regular gear with him being a popular player and on the cusp of bigger things. Had me wondering if that was the pricing rule with all pending free agents.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Anyone make it down to BC Place yesterday? Got there around 10:50 so about 10 minutes left in the exclusive season ticket holders' window. Game worn jerseys were going for $250 and helmets $350.
Seems up a bit from last year. I've already forgotten what I paid but I think I got Olafioye's helmet and home jersey for $450 total which was quite a bit better deal than some Rider fans told me game worn gear was going for out there. Since I'm much too far away from the Vancouver to justify a trip in for the sale I phoned the Lions office a week or so later to see if they had anything left over. They may have knocked the price down a bit on the leftovers.
Or, you know, they could put the leftovers online so out of town fans can buy it/bid on it if they want to do an auction, you know?
CardiacKid
Legend

I was disappointed in the lack of game-worn "knick-knacks"; things like gloves, skull caps, Pink Day gear...... I have been decidedly "meh" with the Adidas fan gear this year but it didn't really matter whether I liked what was on sale as there was a decided lack of XL sized items. This seems to be the case with Lids and the online CFL shop; the few things I am or was interested in getting, have long been out of XL sizes.

I pretty much went with the idea on focusing on getting a home helmet and maybe a jersey. By the time we got admitted, the black helmets that were left looked to be well picked over but I found a Gore helmet in good shape. I was quite happy to pick that up as Gore is a fave. We also picked up Steward's home and away jerseys for going matching-matching to games as he is a local boy (Victoria), I no longer have any space in the man-cave to hang a framed jersey and any jerseys smaller than Steward's really emphasize my sh*t locker.

It was great to meet Jeremiah Johnson to get his signature on my customized #24 jersey; I have been a fan from his Ottawa days so it was especially cool to be able to welcome him to BC ( a little after the fact ). Super nice guy who had his kids and wife along. Also met Stephen Adekolu for the first time and he is a very friendly guy, very personable. I mentioned I was particularly pleased to see him play more this year and hope to see more of him in 2017. Also mentioned there are a number of Adekolu fans out there feeling the same. Jovan also showed and we chatted about his TD; it obviously meant a lot to him and I shared how cool it was to see just how happy he was to get it.

Ultimately for me, it is those moments of meeting the players and letting them know how much we as fans appreciate their efforts on the field, that are the highlights of events like the locker room sale. Especially the guys who don't always get the limelight like Jovan, Adekolu and JJ24.
CardiacKid
Legend

Solomon's helmet and jersey may show up for sale on his personal site. I have seen his gun metal jersey and helmet for sale there in the past.. for quite a substantial bit of coin. They were autographed of course.
The_Pauser
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:Solomon's helmet and jersey may show up for sale on his personal site. I have seen his gun metal jersey and helmet for sale there in the past.. for quite a substantial bit of coin. They were autographed of course.
I have his gun metal jersey from his MOP year. Managed to get that at the Lions locker sale that year. Got him to autograph it too.
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Solomon's helmet and jersey may show up for sale on his personal site. I have seen his gun metal jersey and helmet for sale there in the past.. for quite a substantial bit of coin. They were autographed of course.
I have his gun metal jersey from his MOP year. Managed to get that at the Lions locker sale that year. Got him to autograph it too.
Good scoop! You must have been at the front of the line. If memory serves me right, SolE had his helmet selling for about $900 on his personal website and a gun metal jersey for a shade less.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If you're XXL or XXXL the locker room sale is for you.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:If you're XXL or XXXL the locker room sale is for you.
The locker room sale is not unlike any other clearance sale in a retail clothing outlet. There's going to be little or no stock in the sizes most commonly sold like XL or size 9 for shoes and lots of stock in the less common sizes. While I was out in Toronto for Grey Cup I took in a Leaf game. I wanted to pick up something commemorating the Leaf's 100th season for a buddy who unfortunately is a lifelong Leaf fan. I was frankly surprised at how little they had in t-shirts that referenced the 100th season in the Leaf Store but when I did get into the racks of 100th season product there was nothing in XL. Lots of S, M and XXL and limited L but no XL. XL might be too big for him but better to go XL that is slightly too big than L which might turn out to be slightly too small. Finally in about the 4th kiosk I checked in the ACC concourse I found 1 XL t-shirt.
The_Pauser
Legend

Looks like any of the unsold game used gear is being sold on the BC Lions website. Just picked up the Jennings away helmet for $350.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Looks like any of the unsold game used gear is being sold on the BC Lions website. Just picked up the Jennings away helmet for $350.
I really wish you hadn't told me that. I have a silver one (Barrin Simpson), 2 whites (Bobby Singh & Jovan Olafioye), gun metal (Jabar Westerman) and orange "BOB" (Alexis Bwenge). I don't have a new one and was planning on avoiding a purchase this year. :wink: