Joe McKnight Murdered In Road Rage Incident In New Orleans

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Saskatchewan Roughrider Joe McKnight:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/01/joe-mckni ... -shooting/

Horrendous
The_Pauser
Legend

Wow that's horrible! I know he was someone who probably had a future in Saskatchwan, but regardless you never like hearing about someone's life ending.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Senseless tragedy. A sad day for his family, friends, teammates and the widespread football family throughout North America.
David
Team Captain

Tough year for the CFL, with two of its players senselessly gunned down. My deepest sympathies go out to Mr. McKnight's family, friends, and teammates. RIP.

Awful tragedy. He really caught my attention late in the year, running all over the Argos to the tune of 150 rushing yards. We contained him very well at BC Place in what was to be his last game, but I thought he had a great future in this league, even at 28.

Yet another idiot with a handgun:
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... ald_g.html

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

Incomprehensible. I read about this earlier today on Pro Football Talk and have included a link to their latest piece on it. What has been equally incomprehensible to many is that the shooter was released by police after surrendering his gun to them. Obviously, there'll be much more to follow on this story....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -interest/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Road rage (parking lot rage) + gun = tragedy. So it seems in this case.

RIP Joe McKnight. Condolences to his family, friends and former teammates.

Anyone experienced road rage, or even parking lot rage? There is a lot of rage in our culture. Be careful out there. Not so many guns in Canada. Fortunately.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Road rage (parking lot rage) + gun = tragedy. So it seems in this case.

Anyone experienced road rage, or even parking lot rage? There is a lot of rage in our culture. Be careful out there. Not so many guns in Canada. Fortunately.
Yeah, I had an incident once where I accidentally cut someone off. At the next light the woman got out of her car came up to my window and started cursing me out despite my multiple attempts to apologize for the incident. I finally just said to her "are you enjoying yourself"? She actually was dumbfounded for about 1 second and then proceed to start yelling again. At that point the light turned green and I drove off. Left her standing in the road with traffic moving on both sides of her. Ironically she put herself in more danger than I did by cutting her off. Canada Way in rush hour is no place to be standing in the road. That was what she accomplished by losing it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Road rage (parking lot rage) + gun = tragedy. So it seems in this case.

Yeah, I had an incident once where I accidentally cut someone off. At the next light the woman got out of her car came up to my window and started cursing me out despite my multiple attempts to apologize for the incident. I finally just said to her "are you enjoying yourself"? She actually was dumbfounded for about 1 second and then proceed to start yelling again. At that point the light turned green and I drove off. Left her standing in the road with traffic moving on both sides of her. Ironically she put herself in more danger than I did by cutting her off. Canada Way in rush hour is no place to be standing in the road. That was what she accomplished by losing it.
Yup. When I was younger I experienced road rage on occasion. Me. Not so much the other guy. One feels invincible in the truck or car. Not shouting. Worse than that. Now that I am older, I think twice about reacting, or confronting and let it go. It is just rage, pure and simple. Beyond reason. It is out there. Be careful. If people carry guns, shots will happen.

One hears about yard rage. Dogs get poisoned, etc. I expect rage confrontations happen in many situations. It is part of the human condition.

You handled it well, Sir P. Do not engage.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

during the last 20 yrs or so, when ever I get hot under the collar, I think of the possibility of someone seeing the car I am driving at a later date and seeking revenge when it is my wife driving and\or my kids are in the car.

Darn, cut my left forefinger today and got it all bandaged up. I have been doing full typing for more than 46 years and now I am having so much trouble typing with only 7 fingers and 2 thumbs.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:during the last 20 yrs or so, when ever I get hot under the collar, I think of the possibility of someone seeing the car I am driving at a later date and seeking revenge when it is my wife driving and\or my kids are in the car.

Darn, cut my left forefinger today and got it all bandaged up. I have been doing full typing for more than 46 years and now I am having so much trouble typing with only 7 fingers and 2 thumbs.
Working with paper is pretty tough ?
South Pender
Legend

Latest on this case from Pro Football Talk: shooter jailed after not being charged at the time:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-charges/

Edit: And now this bizarre piece about the sheriff involved in this case (PFT):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... onference/

and this fuller account from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/us/new-or ... index.html
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:

Yup. When I was younger I experienced road rage on occasion. Me. Not so much the other guy. One feels invincible in the truck or car. Not shouting. Worse than that. Now that I am older, I think twice about reacting, or confronting and let it go. It is just rage, pure and simple. Beyond reason. It is out there. Be careful. If people carry guns, shots will happen.

One hears about yard rage. Dogs get poisoned, etc. I expect rage confrontations happen in many situations. It is part of the human condition.

You handled it well, Sir P. Do not engage.

Just IMO ...
Emotional intelligence is considered more important than IQ but it seems that both emotional intelligence and common sense have left too many people today. A part of it, I think, is just based on population. Put too many rats in a cage and they start getting more aggressive and violent. Some of it has to do with modern day stresses. Even though our world is more complex and fast paced, we're still wired much more biologically, as a cave man with a reptilian brain, in terms of dealing with stress.

Add in too many role model stereotypes from television, movies, music etc. who are always on a rampage of some sort or a vengeance script to the entire scenario and throw in a lot of male ego to the mix, add tostesterone, mix in a lot of stress and frustration and we get this kind of stuff. Lack of impulse control, posing, quick tempers, etc. But women are now engaging in road rage too, so its not just a tostestone, male ego driven anymore

I grew up in a town and not a city. The biggest problem at a four way stop was who would be willing to go first because no one wanted to go first.

What factors cause a usually mild-mannered person to see red?  Some people who are ordinarily even-tempered admit that they have an easy tendency to lose control of their emotions when they get behind the wheel.  Their fuses get lit when they put their keys into their ignitions.

For some road ragers, it’s a need for control - in other words they are control freaks who need to counter other drivers who they feel violate their space, or their need for possession of their lane or their part of the road. 

For others, it’s unchecked anger and aggression.  It’s primitive, small-brain thinking, bringing a lack of emotional intelligence or the need to dominate someone else and their unshareable space.  Add in unchecked egos, the need for superiority, narcissistic pride, and sometimes just plain one-upmanship: my vehicle is bigger than yours. 

There are usually a lot more important things to get pissed about.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
mountaincat
Rookie

In the aftermath of the shooting, it also came to light that Gasser had been charged with simple battery in 2006 in connection with a separate road rage incident at the same intersection. The charging document from that incident indicated that Gasser had a “How’s my Driving” bumper sticker on his work truck with a phone number routed to his private cell phone (which is frankly bizarre). The alleged victim called the number to complain that Gasser was driving recklessly, after which Gasser allegedly tracked him down as a gas station and slugged him. -- http://uptownmessenger.com/2016/12/owen ... -mcknight/
that's not even yer run of the mill road rage type of thing there... more like predatory road psycho...
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Points well made, Blitz.
Blitz wrote:Emotional intelligence is considered more important than IQ but it seems that both emotional intelligence and common sense have left too many people today.
Emotional intelligence (I would call it wisdom) is key. Humans of course can regulate their emotions, with practice.
A part of it, I think, is just based on population. Put too many rats in a cage and they start getting more aggressive and violent.
Agreed.
Some of it has to do with modern day stresses. Even though our world is more complex and fast paced, we're still wired much more biologically, as a cave man with a reptilian brain, in terms of dealing with stress.
Rage and anger are survival skills in the primitive world. And anger can make one strong. This leads to the danger nowadays. Anger for no good reason. In the primitive world, anger, when one's life is on the line, can be advantageous.
But women are now engaging in road rage too, so its not just a tostestone, male ego driven anymore
Absolutely right. The sexes are blending. Careers. Roles. {Women are showing baldness, which has previously been associated pretty much exclusively with men.} Lots of female road rage out there. Fights too.
For some road ragers, it’s a need for control - in other words they are control freaks who need to counter other drivers who they feel violate their space, or their need for possession of their lane or their part of the road.
To me, it seems that a lot of it is just butting horns. The primitive territorial imperative. The primitive brain is still very much active in modern humans.

Solution. Use the human brain to regulate the emotions. Easier said than done for the masses, for a variety of reasons.

It is a problem out there. As I said, do not engage. Low key it. Let it go. Your life takes priority over riding the emotions.

Consequences? Accidents, of course. Rammings. Shootings. Fights. Tailgating. Bumping at stop signs. Following/being followed. People will have car cams nowadays. I expect legal consequences will evolve and develop.

Just IMO ...

Blitz
Team Captain

To me, it seems that a lot of it is just butting horns. And the primitive territorial imperative. The primitive brain is still very much active in modern humans.

Solution. Use the human brain to regulate the emotions. Easier said than done for the masses, for a variety of reasons.

It is a problem out there. As I said, do not engage. Low key it. Let it go. Your life takes priority over riding the emotions. West Coast Joe
Great advice WCJ. They say that with age comes wisdom but some people may change their surroundings (partners, friends, careers, housues) but they stay juvenile inside. They say each one of us has a number of different ages: 1) chronological age 2) intellectual age 3) emotional age 4) spirit age.

The notion is that, say one can be 30 years old biologically, 50 years old intellectually, 6 years old emotionally, and 80 years old spiritually. Some people may be young in chronological years but 'old before their time' in terms of their 'spirit', a teenager emotionally, and think learning ended at high school.

Then of course there are posters like you, who are physically 20 years less than their biological age, are bright, mature, and young at heart. :wink:

Its said we have three brains 1) our reptilian brain 2) our mammalian mid brain and 3) our new brain. The reptilian brain controls our automated thoughts, physiology and is constantly alert to possible danger and when danger is perceived, it takes over. For human 'predators' they also usually operate from this part of their brain most of the time. I call them 'crocodiles', always looking for weakness, vulnerability, or opportunity.

The mid- brain (mammalian brain) mediates or controls (or is at least supposed to control) our emotions. Emotions 'happen' - they have no brain or time clock (that is why the trauma of PTSD has no notion of time in terms of the traumatic event, as in war) but the mid-brain is there to 'understand' and 'manage' emotions sensibly.

The new brain (cortex) is the part of our brain that is conscious, intentional, rational, and choiceful. It is the cortex you are using now as you read this post. It is the part of us that can be self-aware, reflective, and self-observant. It is the part of our brain that allows us to communicate complex concepts. learn science, etc. and which separates us from other animals.

Now, when Wally looks out on the playing field and its third and less than one, his old reptilian brain kicks in and he senses danger rather than opportunity, his mid-brain doesn't regulate his fear, and he punts the football on the opposition 35 yard line. :wink: Sorry WCJ, but I couldn't resist. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)