Joe McKnight Murdered In Road Rage Incident In New Orleans

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Great advice WCJ. They say that with age comes wisdom but some people may change their surroundings (partners, friends, careers, housues) but they stay juvenile inside. They say each one of us has a number of different ages: 1) chronological age 2) intellectual age 3) emotional age 4) spirit age.

Then of course there are posters like you, who are physically 20 years less than their biological age, are bright, mature, and young at heart. :wink:

Now, when Wally looks out on the playing field and its third and less than one, his old reptilian brain kicks in and he senses danger rather than opportunity, his mid-brain doesn't regulate his fear, and he punts the football on the opposition 35 yard line. :wink: Sorry WCJ, but I couldn't resist. :wink:
Good stuff, Blitz.

This resident of the planet does feel somewhat young at heart, but troubled by the goings on in the world. And he also feels like an ancient spirit, in the good sense. LOL

And then of course Trump has said that he has the same approach to life that he had when he was 6 years old. Yup. That seems evident. And in Alberta (Texas North) they chant "lock her up" about Hillary Clinton. In the USA fake conspiracy news re the election (Pizzagate) brings forth violence from an unbalanced vigilante. God help us.

In the football world, all is pretty much OK. --> We have the makings of a competitive team. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

This today about a third autopsy planned on Joe McKnight (from Pro Football Talk):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -mcknight/

There are some really disturbing factors surrounding this case (in addition, of course, to the most-disturbing fact of the murder). First, the sheriff--and possibly his department--may not be taking an unbiased approach to it, with strange handling of the suspect. Second, we're seeing this dangerous "stand your ground" law coming into play again, and the fear is that it will be used to set the perpetrator free; hence the third autopsy, I guess. This case could be Trayvon Martin redux....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Everybody seems to be in a rush these days trying to get from point A to point B. Common sense and politeness goes right out the window at this time of year.
David
Team Captain

Just to add even more complexity to this case, an emotional, narcissistic Sheriff just cranked up the temperature with a bizarre, invective-laden 40 minute press conference to announce Gasser's arrest. Not content to just provide us details, take questions and move on, he proceeded to rise from the pulpit to demonize the "rush to judgement," and issued a rambling, often condescending sermon defending his department's decision to not make an immediate arrest - while patting his department on the back and those of the "elected leaders" (particularly a black councilor) for taking their time and issuing a thorough investigation.

The problem with this guy is that he talks too much. Why would he tell the media at last Friday's press conference that Gasser is the one who should be worried as Joe's stepdad worked for their department (any good defense lawyer will pick up on this prejudice).

http://3downnation.com/2016/12/06/sheri ... -arrested/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

AFAIK, Sheriffs in the US get elected so they are politicians. It kinda explains a lot.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Just to add even more complexity to this case, an emotional, narcissistic Sheriff just cranked up the temperature with a bizarre, invective-laden 40 minute press conference to announce Gasser's arrest. Not content to just provide us details, take questions and move on, he proceeded to rise from the pulpit to demonize the "rush to judgement," and issued a rambling, often condescending sermon defending his department's decision to not make an immediate arrest - while patting his department on the back and those of the "elected leaders" (particularly a black councilor) for taking their time and issuing a thorough investigation.

The problem with this guy is that he talks too much. Why would he tell the media at last Friday's press conference that Gasser is the one who should be worried as Joe's stepdad worked for their department (any good defense lawyer will pick up on this prejudice).

http://3downnation.com/2016/12/06/sheri ... -arrested/

human is as human does I guess
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Everybody seems to be in a rush these days trying to get from point A to point B. Common sense and politeness goes right out the window at this time of year.
No kidding TheLionKing....almost got t-boned twice in the last week and if I wasn't observing super focused, while driving, I certainly would have experienced an accident.
Good stuff, Blitz.

This resident of the planet does feel somewhat young at heart, but troubled by the goings on in the world. And he also feels like an ancient spirit, in the good sense. LOL

And then of course Trump has said that he has the same approach to life that he had when he was 6 years old. Yup. That seems evident. And in Alberta (Texas North) they chant "lock her up" about Hillary Clinton. In the USA fake conspiracy news re the election (Pizzagate) brings forth violence from an unbalanced vigilante. God help us.
It seems like a crazy world sometimes WCJ. My best friend Tom heartbreakingly was killed two years ago, while doing what he loved best, driving his motorcycle. I drive one too but now I drive my bike through traffic, when I have to, so I can get to a country road, like people are trying to kill me. My friend Tom used to say regularly, "everyone is crazy out there except me and you....and I'm starting to worry about you" and then laugh heartily.

I have never wanted to become one of those cantankerous, old men who are just miserable and think the world is going to hell. But it sometimes seems that's the direction. On other days I just shut it out and focus on good stuff.

Great that you are still feeling young at heart WCJ. I feel that way most days and I still feel like an enthusiastic younger spirit most of the time too, but with some wisdom that life experience provides, I think too many people have lost perspective of what's important. Its too much a 'live in the moment", "look at me" period of time. The past gives us perspective and the wide and long view do too. Gotta enjoy the present along the way but it has to be embedded in the bigger picture framework.

It seems like a 'style over substance', 'optics over character' type of world. I rarely go on Facebook but when I see grown men showing photos of their finger with a band aid on it it makes me shudder as it does when someone wakes up and needs to share what they had for breakfast that morning. I guess we all need to feel significant in the world but the 'how' is getting crazier.

Ah, well its getting close to Xmas, so some some Xmas 'spirits' and some Xmas 'spirit' will make it all seem fine for a while. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Blitz. My condolences.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Blitz. My condolences.

Yup. As David said, condolences, Blitz.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't say I'm old yet, but I am definitely approaching the gates of the designation and I find myself wondering if my parents, grandparents etc. had the same feelings about their worlds as they moved through their time. It certainly seems that things are particularly bad these days. In some ways, it fills me with much apprehension for the future. I see today that some particularly vile posters have appeared and started aping the Trump slogans at McGill University in Montreal replete with intolerance of several groups. It seems that the more we know, the less we learn from our mistakes and the bewildering lack of awareness of our actions and impacts on others do nothing to alleviate this condition. I think I have a need for a healthy dose of Christmas Spirits as well because I'm just not sure how much goodwill is still around in this world.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:AFAIK, Sheriffs in the US get elected so they are politicians. It kinda explains a lot.
Yes, it does.

I googled this guy when he first let the shooter go and found this rather unique video where he calls out the then Governor Jindal and his own Republican party and anti taxes.

This might add some background to the Sheriff who ran a weird or bizarre presser:

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 84859.html

Gov Jindal brought in the school vouchers there and it's bad - now Mr. Trump wants the same.

According to a transcript of the speech, which was posted by political blogger Lamar White, Normand urged Louisiana Republicans to take responsibility for the “mess” that remains and work as “intellectual individuals, void of a party, void of an overarching philosophy, working together.”

“I’m a Republican, but I’m not a hypocrite,” said Normand, who supported Democrat John Bel Edwards over fellow Republican David Vitter — a bitter political enemy of Normand’s — in the November governor’s election. “We have to look at ourselves critically as a party and figure out where we are, what we’re going to be about.”

Jindal is waging a dishonest campaign to rewrite history while state leaders try to plug the $2 billion budget hole he left behind, Normand said. Claims that the state’s problems can be solved by cutting spending aren’t helping, he said.

“We cannot cut our way to a balanced budget because some of the programs that are on the chopping block are the ones that are going to affect everyone of us up here,” he said. “And we do not have the assets or the resources necessary to make up for it.”

Normand said Republicans should resist the notion that partisan politics will lead the state back to fiscal health, and he ridiculed the idea of trying to please national groups such as Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform.

“Come on, folks; we have to wake up. Let us be honest about what we’re doing,” he said. “We did this to ourselves, myself included, because I endorsed that idiot (Jindal).”

Normand echoed concerns raised by Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro about cuts to mental health funding, which he said will have a major effect on criminal justice.

“We’re talking about shutting down five state prisons that house 8,000 inmates. I think it’s just under a third that come from our region,” Normand said. “You think they’re going home to Bunkie?”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Thank you David and WCJ for your supportive words. I think of him often every day!

Here is another senseless road rage incident.
Calgary woman beaten with hockey stick in vicious road rage attack by two men

Michael Lumsden, Postmedia News | December 8, 2016 Calgary police are searching for two men after a woman was beaten in full view of her nine-year-old daughter following a random incident of road rage on Wednesday.

Karalie Red Old Man was driving a black Dodge Caravan southbound on 4th Street N.W., around 5:40 p.m. near the intersection of 40th Ave N.W., when a BMW attempted to pass her but was unsuccessful due to oncoming traffic.

Police allege the BMW then aggressively tailgated her to the West Mount Pleasant Arena, where the BMW boxed her in and two men exited the vehicle.

The men then allegedly demanded that Red Old Man get out and fight them. She refused and tried to defend herself with a hockey stick. The suspects took the stick away from her and used it to break her windows.

Red Old Man told Global Calgary the attack was vicious and unexpected.

How is she supposed to feel safe on the streets of any city knowing there are people that are willing to stoop this low?
She tried to flee but was stopped when her vehicle hit the suspect’s car. The men then pulled her out of the car and assaulted her, at times using the hockey stick as a weapon.

“He grabbed my hair and pulled my head out the window. I couldn’t get my arms out to fight back, he started banging my neck and my face and my mouth on the window where he pulled me out. My daughter was screaming and crying to stop and he still wouldn’t stop,” she said.

“When I grabbed the hockey stick I was trying to protect myself and buy time until my husband got there, I wasn’t sure what to do,” she added.

Police confirm her husband came to her initial rescue, after seeing the incident from the arena.

The two men fled the scene in their vehicle.

CPS District three commander Darren Leggatt said the two men allegedly involved acted like cowards after such a trivial traffic issue.

“I’m shaken by this. A minor traffic disagreement with two people results in a woman being dragged from her car in front of her children and beaten? It’s a characterization of cowardice,” he said.

Leggatt said Red Old Man will heal physically, but the effects of the incident could be long lasting.

“How is she supposed to feel safe on the streets of any city knowing there are people that are willing to stoop to this low level and perpetrate a crime against an innocent person,” he added.

The suspects are both described as being in their early 20s, with dark brown or black hair and medium builds. One was wearing light grey or white clothing on his upper body.

The suspect vehicle is described as silver, two-door BMW car with an Alberta licence plate.

Police say it’s very likely the BMW has extensive damage to the front passenger side and possibly the front bumper.

Anyone with information is urged to call police.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
South Pender
Legend

Jets teammates serve as Joe McKnight’s pallbearers

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... llbearers/