Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Like the signing of Lee, Yell and Burnham.
I would also like to see Yell back, but I don't think he has signed as yet.... Likely try out FA feelers..
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Fantastic news on the apparent re-signing of Burnham. Matt Sekeres mentioned yesterday he knew of a CFL team that was making Burnham their No. 1 target come Tuesday. Wally's increased offer must have real put the wheels in motion.

I would sure like to get a better idea of the Lions cap situation going into Tuesday, more specifically regarding Bighill. I'm guessing his reportedly $175,000 salary for 2017 is off the books and that opens up a pretty significant salary slot for a FA. But what happens if he gets released since he is automatically Lions property?
I guess they hope he lasts until at least the end of training camp and his salary would only count for the last two months of the season.
The_Pauser
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Fantastic news on the apparent re-signing of Burnham. Matt Sekeres mentioned yesterday he knew of a CFL team that was making Burnham their No. 1 target come Tuesday. Wally's increased offer must have real put the wheels in motion.

I would sure like to get a better idea of the Lions cap situation going into Tuesday, more specifically regarding Bighill. I'm guessing his reportedly $175,000 salary for 2017 is off the books and that opens up a pretty significant salary slot for a FA. But what happens if he gets released since he is automatically Lions property?
I guess they hope he lasts until at least the end of training camp and his salary would only count for the last two months of the season.
He was released from his contract so the Lions don't have his salary on the books. He remains Lions property (not a free agent), but is without a contract.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Fantastic news on the apparent re-signing of Burnham. Matt Sekeres mentioned yesterday he knew of a CFL team that was making Burnham their No. 1 target come Tuesday. Wally's increased offer must have real put the wheels in motion.

He was released from his contract so the Lions don't have his salary on the books. He remains Lions property (not a free agent), but is without a contract.
Thanks. Will be I interesting to see what happens if he is eventually released. A fan of Team #100 but not $400,000 of cap space on two international LBs.
CardiacKid
Legend

Tristan Okpalaugo was picked up by the Bombers today. IMO he could have been a more than adequate pickup to deal with the Leo's gaps on the defensive line, particularly with Bazzie's departure. In fact, I posted here several days ago wondering where he was; now we know. Too bad it isn't Vancouver.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

Thanks. Will be I interesting to see what happens if he is eventually released. A fan of Team #100 but not $400,000 of cap space on two international LBs.
Wally has to be given credit for the length of time he was able to keep Team100, the two best LBs in the CFL, playing together.

AFAIK, the Saints are not very strong at LB and they gave Bighill a signing bonus so they must be pretty confident in him making the team. With his very quick initial burst of speed, he might be a very good special teams player and or passing down player for the Saints in spite of his small size.
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

no way both would have been here this year. If bighill hadn't exercised his window and stayed, Solly would have been allow to go to FA next week
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:

Not exactly. He and Wally may have an agreement for him to return, verbal or possibly written, if he gets released by the Saints. Right now he's an NFL player thus property of no CFL team. When BC released him they surrendered his CFL playing rights. If he gets released by the NFL he will be considered a CFL free agent until he signs a contract with somebody and it is registered at the league office. Presumably he would sign a new deal with BC as per whatever agreement he and Wally have. That offer is probably only there until next February when his contract would've expired. There is no legal way under the CBA, By-Laws and Constitution that BC could release him and retain his rights.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed Bryan Burnham to a two-year contract.
CFL.CA STAFF

VANCOUVER — The BC Lions have officially signed receiver Bryan Burnham to a contract extension, keeping the CFL’s fourth-leading receiver under contract through 2018.

The news was announced Sunday night, two days before the start of free agency on Feb. 14.

Burnham, a 2016 CFL All-Star, was spotted at No. 5 on CFL.ca’s Top 30 Pending Free Agents in January.

“Bryan enjoyed a breakout season last year and his return is great news for our team and our fans,” said GM and head coach Wally Buono. “Our offence made a lot of progress last season and keeping it intact will give us a very good starting point in 2017.”

Burnham (6’2”, 205) hauled in 79 receptions for 1,392 yards with three touchdowns in 2016 and notched at least one catch in all 18 regular season games. Circus grabs and clutch performances became the norm as Burnham’s totals trailed only Emmanuel Arceneaux among fellow Lions receivers and placed him fourth overall in the CFL. He ranked first however, with an astounding 15 receptions of 30 yards or more which accounted for his league-leading 17.6-yard per catch average.

“I have loved my time in Vancouver for the past three years and I’m very happy to be back,” said Burnham who will be in town on Tuesday. “The Lions gave me the opportunity to play the game I love so much and I’m excited about our team and the direction we’re going.”
David
Team Captain

This signing is massive!

Wow, O-line completely intact from last year (and Vaillancourt entering his sophomore season), Jeremiah back, JJ can throw to Burnham, Manny, Nick Moore, with Rainey a backfield or slotback threat. Offense should be a treat to watch this year. Weapons Of Mass Destruction!

Anyone a little surprised that it's taken so long to get Iannuzzi's name on a contract? I am wondering what the hold-up is? Do you think Wally's giving him the Ryan treatment? Maybe the plan is to move Adekolu up the depth chart? I really like Marco's return ability.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:This signing is massive!

Wow, O-line completely intact from last year (and Vaillancourt entering his sophomore season), Jeremiah back, JJ can throw to Burnham, Manny, Nick Moore, with Rainey a backfield or slotback threat. Offense should be a treat to watch this year. Weapons Of Mass Destruction!

Anyone a little surprised that it's taken so long to get Iannuzzi's name on a contract? I am wondering what the hold-up is? Do you think Wally's giving him the Ryan treatment? Maybe the plan is to move Adekolu up the depth chart? I really like Marco's return ability.

I would like to see Iannuzzi as a KR and backup receiver but that might mean a pay cut that he is not prepared to take. I think Iannuzzi has a pretty good off season job in banking/finance but he might be able to get a transfer or leave of absence if he ends up signing with another team.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:This signing is massive!

The signing of Steward was huge and massive...just like him. With our offensive line intact, with Manny, Burnham, and Gore back as receivers, with Johnson and Rainey back as tailback and situational tailback, and with Jennings ready to play his second full season as our starting quarterback, I really like our offensive personell. I like Iannuzzi as a backup return man/ back up receiver but he's been our starting fifth receiver since 2011 and its time to move on to someone else. I would love to see Adekolu get the shot but we need to get younger at the wideside widout, as well as having a player there who is more of a bigger target. Iannuzzi had the worst percentage of targeted throws vs. receptions of all of our recievers. In Adekolu's only start he led the terunam in passes caught.

With Vailencourt on the offensive roster, competing with Fabian, our offence should be very good again this season. If Khari Jones can up his coaching game, use a few new running plays instead of just the vanilla inside zone read running play and adapt our offence some in the passing attack, we have the offensive tools to compete with anyone.

However on defense there are more questions than answers. We are going to lose Westerman, which is a big loss as National defensive players of his size and skill don't grow on trees. I like Menard, Forde has upside, and the signing of Ainsworth could prove to be a good one. He missed all of last season to a neck injury but he was the Riders best special teamer in 2015 and he is a high second round draft choice who could be developed. Losing Lokombo, whom I hoped would start in place of Bighill is a loss. We'll really miss Purifoy. Gaitor was a talent that I would have loved back here for 2017.

We're going to have to rejig our defensive backfield and we had better sign Yell. With Yell, Clarke, Parker and Lee, we have the makings of a good defensive backfield and we would be better off to go with Parker at wideside corner and use an International safety. Its been a weak area of ours for way too long and we haven't had a good one since Barrin Miles retired. Time to get that position fixed.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionsfan65
Starter

with free agency now 24 hours away, I'm curious to see who would be on everyone's free agent wish list. Wally does deserve credit for being able to retain most of his free agents. With our starting o line intact, most of our receivers returning, the only remaining big names on our list are BRooks and Yell. I would love to have both of them back, and if we do resign them we really don't have any big holes to fill. Anyway as of this morning here are the free agents I would go after:
1.Drake Nevis. He is a big nose tackle type that we really need I would love to see him play nose tackle, and if we resign Brooks to play him at 3 tech
2. One of John Ojo, Abdul Kaneh, or Emmanuel Davis. But only if we do not sign Yell first.
3. Winston Veneble, to replace Bighill although we do have some promising young internationals who deserve a shot.
Other than that we really don't have any glaring needs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:I would like to see Iannuzzi as a KR and backup receiver but that might mean a pay cut that he is not prepared to take. I think Iannuzzi has a pretty good off season job in banking/finance but he might be able to get a transfer or leave of absence if he ends up signing with another team.
Iannuzzi is an investment advisor with RBC Dominion Securities.
https://profile.rbcwealthmanagement.com ... page_58859

I don't think this is an offseason job. It's not the sort of thing you can turn off when training camp starts and turn back on when the season is over and still be successful. I can't speak for Iannuzzi but I think he likely considers himself an investment advisor who happens to moonlight as a CFL football player as opposed to the other way around. In all likelihood he makes more money at the former than the latter. Then of course there's the clientele he's built up and wants to maintain. If he transfers or takes a leave does he risk losing some of that base. I can only speak for myself but for my RRSP portfolio I like having a local advisor I can drop in on and talk to face-to-face. I've followed him through 2 company changes but as loyal as I've been to him if either one of us were to relocate I would strongly consider switching to someone else local to me either with the same firm or with another firm.

The respective natures of the two jobs are conducive to being able to balance both. With the Canadian stock market opening at 6:00am Pacific the day for a typical investment advisor typically begins about that time. I don't know when Lion practices start. According to the CBA they can either start between 8:30am and 9:00am or not until after 1:30pm until 4:00pm. Suffice it to say if it's the latter Iannuzzi can put in a significant portion of a day's work at the office before it's time to make the 20 minute drive from the office to the practice facility.

Personally I think with what Marco has going on with RBC, his young family and his community involvement I think if he doesn't come to an agreement with BC he won't be playing football.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:We'll really miss Purifoy.
As far as I can tell Blitz, Purifoy is back for 2017. He's been training at the Surrey facility with his teammates.

I like we he brought to the table last year.

Roar, You Lions, Roar