Free Agent Market and Free Agent Camps

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Awesome...if Yell resigns as well I think the secondary could very well be regarded as the strength of the team this upcoming season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tim O'Neill officially retires, as expected.
TIM O’NEILL CALLS IT A CAREER
dawg3648
Rookie

Dont think Lions have released this news but the Hokies have on their site. All ACC and S.I. All-American Honourable mention. Kid seems to have some game.

(Moved to this thread. -- Mod Staff)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/transactions/

Lions' transactions from December to February 10, 2017
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

dawg3648 wrote: Dont think Lions have released this news but the Hokies have on their site. All ACC and S.I. All-American Honourable mention. Kid seems to have some game.
The Lions could use help in the interior of the D-line. He seems to have quickness to play 3-tech. He may be a bit undersized at 287 pounds to play nose tackle but he's bigger than anyone else under contract for 2017. Maddy was invited to the NFL Combine last year but was unable to compete in any field drills as he recovered from a left knee injury. He went undrafted and was later invited to minicamp in New Orleans. Here's what NFL scouts said about him in his draft year:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2555286
Lionsfan65
Starter

Good new about the Lee signing, in my opinion Yell will be soon to follow

According to Farhan Lalji BC has signed Burnham to a 2 year extension
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/10/fa-rumour-mill-2017/
If true this is huge news, Burnham really had a breakout year last year. Regardless of whether we resign Sinkfield or not it looks like we have a pretty good group of recievers for this year.
green road kill
Rookie

Congrats to Wally he got it done. Real Burnham, back in the den. The deal is for two years, I'm a little surprised by this I thought there was a chance he might go in free agenc
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lionsfan65 wrote:Good new about the Lee signing, in my opinion Yell will be soon to follow

According to Farhan Lalji BC has signed Burnham to a 2 year extension
http://www.cfl.ca/2017/02/10/fa-rumour-mill-2017/
If true this is huge news, Burnham really had a breakout year last year. Regardless of whether we resign Sinkfield or not it looks like we have a pretty good group of recievers for this year.
Wow. Terrific news for the Lions and for their fans. Burnham has quickly become one of my faves. Unique style. Great bounce in his stride. Makes unlikely catches. Runs after catch. Great size.

I was wondering about his flat out speed in earlier years. He has run 4.4 in the 40. And as Wally and Geroy note, he seems to have adapted his approach, and now plays at a faster level.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/football ... with-lions
On Tuesday, Buono referenced Burnham’s free-agent tryout from 2014, when the 6-2 Tulsa product dashed 40 yards in 4.4 seconds and earned a further evaluation at training camp in Kamloops.
That is plenty of speed. And we saw it last year. He was pretty much uncoverable for DBs.
“Burnham, he’s an interesting case, because he’s a totally different receiver this year than he was last year,” said Simon. “I think this year you can see the maturity in him. He’s pretty much changed his game. He looks like he’s a little bit lighter, but he’s playing a lot faster.''

“The good thing about him is he has great size, he has great speed and he’s playing with that speed. Last year, he didn’t play very fast and he wasn’t very effective, where he couldn’t really get open. I think this year he’s doing a good job of using his size and his speed. He’s got a huge catch radius where if the ball is anywhere around him, he’s going to catch it.”
Great signing. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Like the signing of Lee, Yell and Burnham.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The D-line remains the only area of need as free agency opens. The Lions could use a good rush end to replace Bazzie and a starting international defensive tackle (preferably a powerful nose tackle) to replace Brooks unless he bites the bullet and comes back on Wally's terms.

The secondary is solid, with Yell, Lee and Clarke as potential international starters, and Fenner for insurance or a fourth international if Keynan Parker does not work out at field corner. Edem, Fraser and Thompson provide depth and experience at safety, at least.

The receiving corps has Arceneaux, Burnham and Moore as proven 1,000-yard international starters, with Gore and Adekolu as nationals. Iannuzzi might yet come back. If not, Brett Blaszko or Shaq Johnson could get a chance to step up.

The O-line, which was impressive last year, has all five starters back. The backfield is set, with the only question being a rotational back for Jeremiah Johnson.
OV - 54:40
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:The D-line remains the only area of need as free agency opens. The Lions could use a good rush end to replace Bazzie and a starting international defensive tackle (preferably a powerful nose tackle) to replace Brooks unless he bites the bullet and comes back on Wally's terms.

The secondary is solid, with Yell, Lee and Clarke as potential international starters, and Fenner for insurance or a fourth international if Keynan Parker does not work out at field corner. Edem, Fraser and Thompson provide depth and experience at safety, at least.

The receiving corps has Arceneaux, Burnham and Moore as proven 1,000-yard international starters, with Gore and Adekolu as nationals. Iannuzzi might yet come back. If not, Brett Blaszko or Shaq Johnson could get a chance to step up.

The O-line, which was impressive last year, has all five starters back. The backfield is set, with the only question being a rotational back for Jeremiah Johnson.

Couldn't a combo of Rainey / Murray-Lawrence be a good rotation/change of pace for Johnson?

Be very interesting to see if Parker gets a real shot to play corner. Same with Blazko or Johnson maybe stepping up to play receiver - both might be able to displace Iannuzzi and/or Adekolu ?

Drafting a DT from a good crop this year seems to make a lot of sense IMO.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not impressed with Murray-Lawrence. Perhaps he will change my impression of him this year.
David
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:Couldn't a combo of Rainey / Murray-Lawrence be a good rotation/change of pace for Johnson?
Wally was discussing this the other day when the topic of Anthony Allen being allowed to become a free agent came up. He mentioned Rainey and a late season signing named Josh Harris (Wake Forrest) to spell off Jeremiah Johnson. I think it's doubtful that we'll see the two running back system spell off each other in successive weeks like we did in 2016. Just a hunch.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

According to Farhan Lalji, the Lions have signed former Rider corner, Buddy Jackson, to a 1-yr deal.