Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:11 pm
They don’t need both Kent Austin as VP of football operations and Eric Tillman as GM. I don’t know when Austin’s contract is up but he is the one I would let go.
Austin still has 2 more years left on his deal. It would be an interesting twist of fate if Austin was punted given he first brought in both Tillman and Jones as consultants then later ceded the GM and HC jobs to them.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Here is some interesting information courtesy of CKNW 1130's Rich Dhaliwal who is always dialled into the BC Lions owner. Dhaliwal outlined his conversation this morning on Twitter:
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 29m29 minutes ago
Just talked with David Braley about owning the team for 1 more, the Wally Buono decision and the future.

Braley on 1 more year : "It was for sale & talked to various people, we had 2-3 interested but can't sell because of lawsuits."

Braley on Buono, "It's Wally's call, we will talk this week and next week and we will come to a conclusion. He has the choice ."

Braley on declining attendance : "We have to start winning games, correct the football operations."

Braley : I do love the team but it's time I move along, I'm 76 years old but can't sell because of concussion lawsuits."

Braley : "I am not happy with this season and changes will be made. People didn't perform and we will make the adjustments."

The #BCLions are working on a long term lease deal with B.C Place and it's going in the right direction.
Some "rumours" I have heard in the media in the past week, for what it's worth. The talks with Waterboys did not go well (forgot where I heard this - might have been Glen Suitor on TSN1040). The concussion lawsuit issue has been dismissed by some around the league as a legitimate reason for not selling (Farhan Lalji), waiting to see where the new TSN deal will land to set the true franchise valuation (Dave Pratt), and as reported above there is a possibility there really isn't 3 interested parties anymore (Ed Willes).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 am
Some "rumours" I have heard in the media in the past week, for what it's worth. The talks with Waterboys did not go well (forgot where I heard this - might have been Glen Suitor on TSN1040). The concussion lawsuit issue has been dismissed by some around the league as a legitimate reason for not selling (Farhan Lalji), waiting to see where the new TSN deal will land to set the true franchise valuation (Dave Pratt), and as reported above there is a possibility there really isn't 3 interested parties anymore (Ed Willes).

Easy for Farhan to say. He and those dismissing the lawsuit as trivial aren't the ones bearing the potential financial risk that those lawsuits could bring. Maybe the armchair bookies put the odds of the Supreme Court hearing Bruce's case at 10% or less. That still means 10% chance of litigation proceeding that could cost the owner at the time of ruling multiple millions. I think what would be the TSN turning point for that will be the Supreme Court's decision. If they uphold the BC Supreme Court's decision then I believe both AB III's suit and the class action suit would be dead. Where the actual suits could take years to decide the decision to hear AB III's will come within months.

Seems to me Pratt (or me) is out to lunch. Given he works for TSN he should have more intimate knowledge but we are talking Pratt who prefers to rant first and think later. Could the next TSN deal have bearing on franchise value? Sure it could. However one of the first things Orridge did was extend the TSN deal for 3 more years until 2021. Unless there are windows to opt out for both sides before then it would seem any known impact the TV contract may have on franchise valuation is still 4 years away.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:11 pm
They don’t need both Kent Austin as VP of football operations and Eric Tillman as GM. I don’t know when Austin’s contract is up but he is the one I would let go.
Austin still has 2 more years left on his deal. It would be an interesting twist of fate if Austin was punted given he first brought in both Tillman and Jones as consultants then later ceded the GM and HC jobs to them.
Austin promoted himself to a job title with no day-to-day duties. But he's still a polarizing figure in the organization and some players, including Brandon Banks, have reportedly said they won't re-sign in Hamilton this offseason if Austin is still with the organization.

Ticat players slam Kent Austin, don’t want him to return

Owner Bob Young, though, still seems to be in Austin's corner.

I wouldn't want Austin here but I would accept Tillman, if he is deemed to be redundant in Hamilton. He won his first Grey Cup as GM of the Lions in 1994, he seems to have redeemed himself from his past transgressions and he still knows how to find talent.
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Here is some interesting information courtesy of CKNW 1130's Rich Dhaliwal who is always dialled into the BC Lions owner. Dhaliwal outlined his conversation this morning on Twitter:
Just talked with David Braley about owning the team for 1 more, the Wally Buono decision and the future.

Braley on 1 more year : "It was for sale & talked to various people, we had 2-3 interested but can't sell because of lawsuits."

Braley on Buono, "It's Wally's call, we will talk this week and next week and we will come to a conclusion. He has the choice ."

Braley on declining attendance : "We have to start winning games, correct the football operations."

Braley : I do love the team but it's time I move along, I'm 76 years old but can't sell because of concussion lawsuits."

Braley : "I am not happy with this season and changes will be made. People didn't perform and we will make the adjustments."

The #BCLions are working on a long term lease deal with B.C Place and it's going in the right direction.

Quote from Eric Macramalla, TSN legal analyst who also teaches sports law at U of O, practicing lawyer and legal firm partner...

"There is no doubt that pending litigation can influence whether a sale is finalized,” Macramalla said. “The last thing a new owner wants is to be saddled with paying a significant monetary award. In the case of pending concussion litigation against the CFL, I would expect that it would be a relevant consideration which warrants examination. However, an owner may not be dissuaded from buying a CFL team as the risk of liability, while possible, is not sufficiently likely or significant.”
#52Fan
prospect

Braley is too cheap to invest the money needed to properly ‘fix’ this organization. He is not a local and does not care about ‘our team’. As long as he stays as the owner we will only attract people (coaches, GMs, etc) who under-value themselves ... not a winning formula. I suspect he’ll offer Wally half salary to be President, GM and Coach and ask the players to sew their own uniforms. The longer he owns the team, the less it will be worth. An Aquilini sports monopoly in Vancouver scares me ... but at least they’re local and might spend money. Waterboys would be ideal IMO. More pockets to dip into and these guys are dedicated to this team and this community. They’re local too, without the negative baggage that comes with the Aquilini name. If Braley wants top dollar he should sell NOW. Deal with the ‘potential lawsuits’ issue as part of the offer, but get new owners as soon as possible ... pleeeeeeeease.
CardiacKid
Legend

I find the fact that meetings between Braley and the Waterboys that were to take place this week (and publicly reported as such) are no longer in play, does not look good. The optics look bad.

In fact, IMO it appears exceedingly discouraging. Perhaps to the point where the Waterboys are simply no longer interested and have removed themselves from the process.
leo4life
All Star

Expect Wally to return along with Dorazio Washington & possibly even Jones....maybe bring back Chuck Mcmann to "revamp" ST execution😂
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:47 pm
and here I thought it was being suggested that Giulio suit up and be starter next year :)
On the OL maybe. :wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Hamilton ...

Austin is burning bridges fast.

He has been a rolling stone in his coaching career. One thinks he has some issues.

June Jones has been a revelation. Retirement age but new age coach. His players like him. He is innovative. He puts an outstanding product on the field. I expect he has some magic in his handling of QBs.

Keep Jones.

Lose Austin.

Tillman? Not a fan here. Even before the sexual assault crime against a minor, he was a strange cat. He has had success as a GM. Tillman and Briles at the same working address would have been horrendous. I expect Tillman stays.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:24 am
David wrote:

Quote from Eric Macramalla, TSN legal analyst who also teaches sports law at U of O, practicing lawyer and legal firm partner...

"There is no doubt that pending litigation can influence whether a sale is finalized,” Macramalla said. “The last thing a new owner wants is to be saddled with paying a significant monetary award. In the case of pending concussion litigation against the CFL, I would expect that it would be a relevant consideration which warrants examination. However, an owner may not be dissuaded from buying a CFL team as the risk of liability, while possible, is not sufficiently likely or significant.”
The TSN legal analyst is right however the Arland Bruce case has not been accepted as yet and the Supreme Court of Canada grants leave to appeals solely if there is a national interest. The plaintiff's lawyers are arguing the concussion severity issue but the SCC will look more on the law side and if there is a national compelling reason to review this issue.
"At the Supreme Court of Canada level, they’re looking for: ‘Is this an issue of national importance that our legal system needs to address?’ " she said. "We (Bruce lawyers) say that is exactly what this is. These players need the help of the Supreme Court of Canada to get justice."
The huge negative for the Bruce case is that both the BC Supreme Court and the BC Court of Appeal rejected the Bruce claims and the issue of national importance won't be the concussion issues but the law as it is now.

Bruce lost in two lower courts and that is a huge negative:
The B.C. Supreme Court struck down Bruce’s lawsuit in March 2016 and the province’s Court of Appeal upheld that ruling earlier this year. Both cited the Supreme Court of Canada ruling known as the Weber decision, which gave exclusive jurisdiction to labour arbitration over disputes involving unionized employees.
I'm of the mind that the ONLY way the litigation gets in the way of a sell is if the buyer is either trying to get the owner:

1. to give them a big discount on the purchase price because of this, or:
2. to assume future legal obligations for the litigation which in this case would be too early to determine.

The owner would only want to hold off on the sale to avoid a lower price and in this case, have the team winning and the team's situation in better shape.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CONNECTICUT YANKEE
prospect

This long term lease talk is most concerning and putting the next owner in a precarious situation.
Does the league have any recourse to stop Mr.Braley?
Can they just extend for a year and see what the situation looks like in November 2018?
Mr.Braley and the Wetenhall's should be applauded for their actions to save the CFL but there present behavior
is looking very unstable.
I would hope Commisioner Ambrosie steps in and brings closure to this mess before it's too late.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I don't trust or believe anything David Pratt says. He likes to hear his own voice.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CONNECTICUT YANKEE wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:53 pm
This long term lease talk is most concerning and putting the next owner in a precarious situation.
Does the league have any recourse to stop Mr.Braley?
Can they just extend for a year and see what the situation looks like in November 2018?
Mr.Braley and the Wetenhall's should be applauded for their actions to save the CFL but there present behavior
is looking very unstable.
I would hope Commisioner Ambrosie steps in and brings closure to this mess before it's too late.
I see the B.C. Place lease negotiations as a positive development. Having a stable long-term lease can add value to the franchise and remove uncertainty for a new owner. It’s in the best interests of all parties to negotiate the best deal possible.
David
Team Captain

More from Rick Dhaliwal with respect to Francesco Aquilini:
Aquilini : "I have had discussions with David Braley about the #BCLions but no further discussions at this point."

Roar, You Lions, Roar