Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'm not concerned about any Aquilini NFL aspirations. Unless he's figured out how to live to 125 a Vancouver NFL team in Vancouver has about the same chances as me suddenly being added to that list of 7 names. I'd like to think Aquilini is bright enough to figure that out thus making a CFL team the only realistic possibility of owning a pro football team in Vancouver.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote: ...it's his dream to own a National Football League team one day

DH :cool:
I am thinking(hoping) that it doesn't mean that he wants that team in Vancouver.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The idea of selling the team has been sitting on Braley's back burner for a long, long time. And that is his right.

Every once in a while an article like this kicks up interest. But then it seems to go once again to the back burner.

One cannot help feeling that younger, more actively involved ownership would be a shot in the arm to the franchise.

Braley's heart definitely seems in the right place regarding the Lions. 20 years of ownership. :thup:

Putting my hopes on the back burner. :wink:

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting list of potential suitors.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The thing I like about Moray Keith is that he is in the car business and car dealers know the importance of and how to promote a product, get people's attention and get people excited about a product.

I am dead set against the Aquilini family having anything to do with the Lions. During negotiations to buy the Canucks Aquilini did an end around on his partners in the purchase, worked out a separate deal and screwed his now former partners out of the Canucks deal. And then to learn that Aquilini one day wants to own an NFL team means another reason to have nothing to do with these guys.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's good to hear that Moray Keith is as passionate as ever about the Lions and hasn't walked away from a potential sale, as one recent rumour had indicated. HIs deep connection to the Lions goes back decades, and he has promoted his car dealership through the Lions, although curiously I don't see his company listed on bclions.com among the club's official partners and suppliers Bosa Properties is listed, and Robert Bosa has deep connections to the team. Sidoo is also a football benefactor but his loyalty seems to be more to UBC than the Lions. I don't trust the Aquilini family and I don't know much about the others.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:The thing I like about Moray Keith is that he is in the car business and car dealers know the importance of and how to promote a product, get people's attention and get people excited about a product.

I am dead set against the Aquilini family having anything to do with the Lions. During negotiations to buy the Canucks Aquilini did an end around on his partners in the purchase, worked out a separate deal and screwed his now former partners out of the Canucks deal. And then to learn that Aquilini one day wants to own an NFL team means another reason to have nothing to do with these guys.
X2
David
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:The thing I like about Moray Keith is that he is in the car business and car dealers know the importance of and how to promote a product, get people's attention and get people excited about a product.
This is an interesting way of looking at it Dan, and I don't disagree. The Leos have a good on-field product. It's a young, exciting, community-oriented team full of guys with great character. What this club needs most is someone who understands the concept of "selling the sizzle" to get people interested.

Wins used to bring people to the ball park. While that is a requirement (or at least the notion that when people come to the stadium, they feel there's a very good chance the team can win), there are so many other factors at play. We need someone to identify those key factors and address them. I don't think this has been adequately addressed by the current regime; one that has relied on a passé "win and they will come" philosophy for far too long.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
This is an interesting way of looking at it Dan, and I don't disagree. The Leos have a good on-field product. It's a young, exciting, community-oriented team full of guys with great character. What this club needs most is someone who understands the concept of "selling the sizzle" to get people interested.

Wins used to bring people to the ball park. While that is a requirement (or at least the notion that when people come to the stadium, they feel there's a very good chance the team can win), there are so many other factors at play. We need someone to identify those key factors and address them. I don't think this has been adequately addressed by the current regime; one that has relied on a passé "win and they will come" philosophy for far too long.DH :cool:
Totally agree David and Braley has been considered cheap in both Toronto and Vancouver in the marketing aspect of his teams.

Jonathan Jennings is an exciting young quarterback. But this edition of the Leos has other very exciting players to market. Chris Rainey is the closest we've come to another Willie Fleming. The Manny Show can be electric. Sol E will go down as our best middle linebacker ever. People in this province, football fan or not, had heard of Joe Kapp, Willie Fleming, Sonny Homer, Norm Fieldgage, Tom Brown, Nick Fouts, By Baily etc.

Yes, it was a different era but the Lions marketing in those days was superior to what we have been experiencing for too many years. We went through a time like this before and it was Bobby Ackles who created the resurrection and he has been badly missed since 2007.

Its also a competitive market and we're not only lacking.... but we are also using an old school model too. In this day and age, social media is very important. Like all business, the advantages of social media use in sports include building brand awareness, reaching a large audience in an easy and cost-effective way. Social media is an integral l aspect of executing marketing strategy.

The purists may be happy to come out and watch a good football game but pre-game and half time and even post game are important in creating an 'event like'' atmosphere. A high school band playing at half time doesn't cut in any more.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote: Wins used to bring people to the ball park. While that is a requirement (or at least the notion that when people come to the stadium, they feel there's a very good chance the team can win), there are so many other factors at play. We need someone to identify those key factors and address them. I don't think this has been adequately addressed by the current regime; one that has relied on a passé "win and they will come" philosophy for far too long.

Or simply raising the prices in the cheaper sections to maximize revenue
The_Pauser
Legend

Give me an ownership group composed of Bosa, Keith, and Sidoo, and I'll be happy.
Roar you Lions roar!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Interesting comment, The Pauser. Leads me to ask if anyone among us here on Lionbackers happens to know the state of ownership across the league at this juncture in regards to group ownership vs. one-man owners: i.e. how many of our CFL teams have group ownership currently? And, historically, is there evidence to suggest teams with one owner are more successful or less successful (on and/or off the field) than teams with joint ownership? Excuse my ignorance.
Qman
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:Give me an ownership group composed of Bosa, Keith, and Sidoo, and I'll be happy.
agree. The joint ownership of the stamps worked well before the flames bought everyone out. You have 5-6 guys all marketing the team in the community
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:Give me an ownership group composed of Bosa, Keith, and Sidoo, and I'll be happy.
agree. The joint ownership of the stamps worked well before the flames bought everyone out. You have 5-6 guys all marketing the team in the community
According to CFLDB Calgary Sports & Entertainment owns 50-75@ of the Stamps with the likesof Forzani, Mitchell, Sapunjis and a half dozen others still having minor stakes.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Qman wrote:
According to CFLDB Calgary Sports & Entertainment owns 50-75@ of the Stamps with the likesof Forzani, Mitchell, Sapunjis and a half dozen others still having minor stakes.
IIRC the flames bought last few partners out in last couple years. Is was orginally 12 groups owning a 5% or 10% piece, then the Flames at 5% gradually bought the partners out, with biggest transaction happening in 2012 when they went above 66%