Leos/Bombers Semi-Final Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

What a game!!! What an exciting comeback!!

Jonathan Jennings second touchdown run of the game, an exceptional play, concludes a long game winning drive and gives us the lead. The winning touchdown drive involves the conversion of many key second down plays. Rainey makes two key second down receptions on the winning drive.

The winning drive of the game begins on our own 28 yard line. We convert 4 key second downs on that final drive, before Jennings spectacular touchdown run. Adekolu, Iannuzzi, Rainey, and Burnham all make key receptions, with Manny out of the game with a concussion.

Jennings threw two touchdown passes and had two huge touchdown runs in the contest.

Stephen Adekolu, with 5 receptions leads our receiving corps in catches in the game. Byran Burnhan (63 yds) Chirs Rainey (57 yds.), Manny Arseneaux (56 yds), Marco Iannuzzi (55 yds) , Adekolu (48 yds.) Terell Sinkfield (26 yds) and Jeremiah Johnson (24 yds) all contribute to a diversified passing attack forced upon us by the Bomber defense and the Arseneaux injury in the second half of the game.

Jeremiah Johnson, with his 10 carries for 110 yds (10 yds. per carry) and Jonathan Jennings (43 yds. rushing) are a key to the victory.

The Bombers line up for a 61 yard field goal attempt by Medlock, rather than gambling on third and four, with time still left on the clock. Medlock is short, Rainey runs for a few yards and drops to the turf. Game over!

Leos win!!!!

Looking forward to your post game thoughts!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
squishy35
Legend

Absolutely amazing. It is one for the ages.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We will take the win. Ha ha

Never, ever count JJ out. Same with his partner, Lulay on the sideline.

Brain dead O plan to start the game. Bombers plus JJ equals turnovers. Run the dayum ball.

All hail Chris Rainey.

Burnham.

JJ24.

This fan will not hail soft zone D. Biggie 30 yards deep on backpedal.

So much talent. Such conservative, uptight coaching philosophy.

Hurry back Manny and Shawn.

Kudos to the O Line.

Penalties?????

No running calls to start the game?????

Brain dead.

The Bombers had our D totally game planned, and our O. JJ, with help, got us the win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
squishy35
Legend

I don't know what o'shea was thinking . I was giggling with glee when medlock was trotting on the field.
South Pender
Legend

Any announcement on the extent of Manny's injury? And is Gore definitely out another week with the concussion protocol?

Surprisingly small crowd--19,176--for such an important game and one that turned out to be a dandy.

Lions outrushed the Bombers 193-69.

Total Yards: BC 505, Wpg. 459

Time of possession: BC 31:01, Wpg. 28:59
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We stole one. Absolute theft.

Credit to JJ''s indomitable spirit, and, of course, hia amazing talent. Defence was a sieve.

One for the ages, as noted, but not one for the coaching hall of fame.

Credit to the players.

I thought Nichols, and good play calling, would get the Bombers another first down at the end. O'Shea kind of blinked. Lots of time left.

Exciting game. Not a classic. Too many screwups.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

Jennings proves once again that he is a winner. Great determination and focus with the game on the line. Hard not to be excited about the Lions with Jennings in charge.

Rainey is outstanding, best playmaker we've had since...Swervin' Mervyn?

I really like JJ24's style. He understands the game, sees the holes, adjusts to what's there. A bit like Gretzky, not physically gifted, but has the vision of what's happening around him.

OL was excellent.

When I saw the big hit on Arseneaux, I was reminded of the contrast between the way Bighill and Elimimian approach the physical aspects of the game, vs hotheads/idiots like Loffler and many others throughout the league (including a few on our team). Bighill and Elimimian play with respect for the opposition, and play effectively without deliberately endangering the health of the their opponents. They are models for this league.

SO many screw ups in this game, would take an hour to list them all, but don't want to be a downer after such a great ending.

Happy we get another game or two in this fantastic season.
Last edited by maxlion on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:What a game!!! What an exciting comeback!!
Deja Vu again from both 1977 and 1986 over the Blue Bombers. Although in the previous two the Lions held the lead and then had to make a huge defensive play, but this time it's a huge comeback win (and perhaps a huge defensive play as well in forcing Winnipeg to attempt a long field goal attempt in their last possession).
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
squishy35
Legend

It reminds me of 1994.... the disgusting hit on Manny ma y have galvanized this team in to playing for a larger purpose.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I can't think of any other QB in the CFL that I would rather have behind centre with 2 minutes left and the game on the line than Jennings. One again he is cool and decisive when it counts.

Nice to see the D really step up and shut the bombers down in the 2nd half. They also did a pretty good job limiting Harris as there was no way that they where going to completely stop him.

Even though the Lions had to come from behind it was probably the running game that was the difference with both JJ24, Rainy, Jennings getting the job done.
yukonlion
All Star

i remember watching that 1977 semi final and Joe Forquean knocking down that 3rd and 1 pass from deiter brock!!! same feeling today... hope we dont get blown out like we did in the WF in 1977... we'll have to play better, too many mistakes and stupid penalties, winnipeg played error free ball, jennings put the game on his back and not happy to see manny go down but made JJ spread the ball around
tedbear
Starter

It was a very exciting game but IMOP the game changed on the dirty hit on Arseneaux in the endzone. The Lions seemed like they turned it up a notch and played possessed after that. Also on the last play of the game when the Lions were downing the ball in a play that they were taking a knee there was a dirty shot by a Winnipeg defensive player that had Husband limping off the field. Two dirty plays in my opinion.

Credit the Lions with everything that went wrong today (and there was a lot) They continued to battle and play hard. Not sure what we will have left for Calgary but this team will give their all and not quit.
Qman
Champion

South Pender wrote:Any announcement on the extent of Manny's injury? And is Gore definitely out another week with the concussion protocol?

Surprisingly small crowd--19,176--for such an important game and one that turned out to be a dandy.

Lions outrushed the Bombers 193-69.

Total Yards: BC 505, Wpg. 459

Time of possession: BC 31:01, Wpg. 28:59
surprised they announced that ... would of guessed 22ish ... it was an awesome crowd today ... concourse was packed ... little patchy in the endzone thats about it

probably largest gate of the season given the uptick in post-season prices to more than $100 for single game ($83 for season seat holders) and how packed it was between the goalines. Lots of kids and families in my section on 48yd line.

... instead of being honest BC lions should hire the MLS attendance guy or florida panthers attendance guy, or be like the SF Giants just announce 27,004 every game even with empty seats.
Last edited by Qman on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Surprisingly small crowd--19,176--for such an important game and one that turned out to be a dandy.
1986 WDSF attendance - 40,381 (Old BC Place without covering upper bowl)
1977 WDSF attandance - 27,105 (Old Empire Stadium)

Yes, attendance is pathetic especially since this was the first time in four years that the Lions played a home playoff game since 2012. This reminds me of the relatively low attendance in the 1999 WDF even though it was the first time there was a home playoff game in 12 years since 1987.

Maybe the Canucks playing at home at the same day and at the same time had something to do with it.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Alputt
Champion

Lions came back. The final minutes standing and roaring with a spirited 20,000 was the highlight of the season! Was dumbfounded at the very weak start, some stupid penalties but also a couple dodgy officiating calls, and all the missed 2 pointers.

I am jubilant for now but we can't come out like that in Calgary and expect to win on a missed FG...