Riders at Lions Nov. 5 postgame comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Notwithstanding the fact that Jennings can throw the football perfectly into tight coverage, he need to stay away from it against Winnipeg. Bombers have a few ball hawks back there. If Jennings continue throwing it into double coverage it will come back to bite the Lions.
Without question. I plan to write my Getting Ready for the Playoff Game tomorrow but we have to play differently against the Bombers. Basically the game plan will require shorter passes more often, more crossing patterns, isolating the tailback against the linebacker (wisely), the necessity of being able to run inside and outside, and a key will be to get Jennings outside, off play action because the linebacker can't cover the back and him. Basically against Man/Cover 2, and especially with their ball hawks, they have to be played differently.

Manny had 16 yard receiving against them in our last contest. We have to move him around more and also go to our other recievers more often.

Defensively, we can't play them the same way as we did previously either. We need to play their short passing game aggressively and also take away the flat area from Andrew Harris.
I agree that Wally was at least two series too slow on getting his star players out of the game. Shaq Murray Lawrence was left of the roster to make room for McCallum. If we had a Canadian kicker doing double duty we could have had both Johnson and Allen in the game last night (or SML).
Belize City Lion
Legend

Yes, we could. But with the remainder of this season, with an International Punter in Leone and a National field goal kicker in McCallum we have to now take a National off the roster. I don't mind if that decision is Shaq Murray Lawrence against Winnipeg. It was just dum to do that against the Riders.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't buy the argument at this point in the season of the need to rest JJ24 so he could be rested for the playoffs. If he had just played 17 games and was banged up, then rest him. But playing 3 reg season games in a row and up to 3 post season games in a row is not going to wear him out, imo.

I was surprised to see JJ24 return to game action after the injury partly because I thought Rainey and Lumbala could get the job done along with 5 or 6 receiver sets. When JJ24 did return I didn't notice any limping by him on the few shots we got on TV. Anyone at the game notice if JJ24 was limping?

It is easy in hindsight to say that JJ10 and others should have been pulled earlier but playing him for 3 quarters seemed about right to me under the circumstances as a lot can happen in a short time in the CFL. Was Wally being extra cautious insuring the win instead of extra cautious insuring the health of his players? Yes he was and it was the right thing to do. This was a good message to send to a young team: put the boots to the opponents throat and keep it there.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I was surprised to see JJ24 return to game action after the injury partly because I thought Rainey and Lumbala could get the job done along with 5 or 6 receiver sets. When JJ24 did return I didn't notice any limping by him on the few shots we got on TV. Anyone at the game notice if JJ24 was limping?
No, I was surprised to see Johnson back in the game after writhing in pain on the turf but he didn't show any ill effects when he came back, either during or between plays.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lion Guy wrote:Lions run D was really good. They will need that next week.

The only thing Jones accomplished this year in Regina is turning a last place team into another last place team.
I will go one better, all Jones did was take a last place team without Durant into another last place team with Durant. Quite enjoyable to see his arrogance get brought down a notch.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The danger of relying so heavily on a slotback passing attack is that defences have been able to shut Arceneaux and Burnham down by plugging up the middle of the field
So this is the base CFL defense in the age of improved QB talent. This is a reason why you can hide a national WR like Ianuzzi at the wide side receiver position. The QB is never going to look there.
Lionsfan65
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
DanoT wrote:I was surprised to see JJ24 return to game action after the injury partly because I thought Rainey and Lumbala could get the job done along with 5 or 6 receiver sets. When JJ24 did return I didn't notice any limping by him on the few shots we got on TV. Anyone at the game notice if JJ24 was limping?
No, I was surprised to see Johnson back in the game after writhing in pain on the turf but he didn't show any ill effects when he came back, either during or between plays.
Couple of pain killers and a good tape job can do wonders. :tease: