Leos/Eskimos Post Game Thoughts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

A big win for our Leos.

We can still finish in second place in the West and secure a home playoff spot. We'll likely need to beat the Riders twice and hope that Ottawa can beat the Eskimos once in their back to back games.

Looking forward to your post-game thoughts.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Cmiiw. Did the Lions not win the coin toss and defer to the 2nd half
Wear orange or wear nothing
CardiacKid
Legend

Great stuff but where was this team last week?

And I don't wish to be a pill but I am somewhat concerned about Rainey. I don't expect him to bust huge returns every game but he seemed to be indecisive and hesitant.
aklawitter
All Star

Ballistic Bob wrote:Cmiiw. Did the Lions not win the coin toss and defer to the 2nd half
won and chose to receive
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos beat the Eskimos 32-25, as we held off a strong second half charge by the Eskimos to hang on to the victory in a game in which we led all the way. Our Leos had lost two games in a row to the Bombers and had lost three of their last four games. At the same time we put an end to the Eskimos three game winnings streak

Manny Arceneaux's two touchdown led our Leos offence 32-25 in a crucial West Division matchup. Our defence played a very good first half but struggled at times in the second half of the game. Our Leo players played hard all game and were worthy of the victory.

Here are some post game thoughts:

THE GOOD

1. Jennings Impresses

Jonathan Jennings was determined not to throw interceptions or be the scapegoat this game. Restricted by our passing offensive scheme in the first half, Jennings made some incredibly accurate and difficult throws. He hit Arseneaux off this back foot for a huge touchdown run.

He made a throw to Bryan Burnham that had to be thrown at just the right place before the double cover safety came over. His throw to Arseneaux against the blitz, with a lineman in his face was pure talent and poise under pressure. Jennings completed 75% of fhis passes for 273 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

My only fault in this game, was that Jennings was willing to take a huge sack rather than risk an interception. He was unusually conservative at times that way. But who can blame him as heaps of abuse was placed on him this week. Beamish even tried to bring up a little quarterback controversy but Buono shut it down quickly and wisely. He's learned from the past.

As I said, before this game, if we got Jennings outside, there would be lots of room for him to run. There was - as he scampered for a 20 yard touchdown run. Jones really should have called more bootleg passes against this defence.

Jennings has an amazing arm. The consistency of the accuracy of his throws is impressive. The placement of his passes is often astounding.

2. The Manny Show

Manny took some very difficult throws from Jennings and made sure he rewarded his quarterback for his confidence. Manny had 8 catches for 132 yds. His 70 yard catch and run was special to watch. Manny played this game with incredible heart to match his impressive talent.

3. Believe in Burnham

Bryan Burnham made two catches in this game that alone were worth the price of admission. In the first half, he went vertical to make a great catch and held the football after a wicked hit. In the second half, his one handed catch, while being tackled, was spectacular.

4 Jeremiah A Joy/Rainey Adds to Running Game

Jeremiah Johnson had 108 yds on 17 carries (6.4 yd. average). With our passing game having some struggles in the first half, Johnson ran fast and hard. He exploded throgh the line when there were openings and when there weren't on a couple of occasions, he made his own. Rainey averaged 9. 3 yds. per carry on his 3 rushes.

5. Wally Gambles

Buono, notorious for often refusing to gamble on third and one, gambled on third and one in our own end of the field and also gambled on third and two, on the Edmonton 37 yard line, rather than kicking a field goal. Lulay was successful on the first gamble and we went on to kick a field goal. Johnson ran the football on our second and two play and and two and it paid off, as our offence went on to scorea touchdown. The two gambles would lead to 10 points on the scoreboard.

6. Khari Adjusts (Slowly)

Khari Jones game plan, coming into this game, was as if he had no idea that Edmonton would play Man/Cover 2. Ouir first half passing attack had a lot of vertical deep intermediate and deep patterns and we struggled against it at times. But, with our running game going Jones used it, which was wise an necessary.

Jones ran a lot more crossing patterns as the game progressed and that opened things up for our offence. We also used a bunch formation on our convert. I knew if we used the bunch agaisnt man defence it would create confusion and it did. Burnham was wide open.

But Khari is starting to do some things recently that show that he is not just sticking to same old. For example, he used Arseneaux and Burnham togetehr on the boundary side on a couple of pass plays this game. He lined up Sinkfield in the tight slot for a short crossing route. Our receivers were not just stuck in their usual spots. He adjusted in the second half - all positive things.

7. Aragki Hustles and It Pays Off

On a missed field goal, Jason Aragki looked out of the play but his hustle and determination would lead to a fumble that Vaillencour recovered. Instead of Edmonton having good field postiion, the hustle play would lead to a Leone field goal. It was a key play early in the fourth quarter.

8. Rolly Rolls

Lumbala made some great blocks in this game to open up runs for our tailback. He also took a short swing pass and turned it into a big play. I wish we would run a fullback screen for him.

The key to this game was that our star players made plays. Jennings, Arseneaux, Burnham, Johnson, Rainey on offence and Aragki all applied their trades with very high level skill and determination. Team 100 now both have 100 tackles on the season. Gaitor was beaten once by Bowman but overall they played a very good game.

Fenner made some really good plays. Phillips has been working with Gaitor and Fenner. Edem had two excellent plays in the secondary after two interceptions last week. With Jennings and Lulay helping Edem out in practice a couple of weeks ago, working on his angles (that doesn't say much for Washington) Edem's play has really mproved the last two games. Menard was solid in this game.

THE BAD

There are always things to look at, that need improvement, even in victory

1. Khari Confuses

Before this game, I wrote that the last type of play that Karhi should call agains Man/Cover 2 is a hitch screen. It almost cost us an interception the last time we played Edmonton and also cost us a 7 yard loss. So what does he call for his first play of the game. A motion hitch to Arseneaux that went nowhere.

Sometimes he's a very slow learner. His quarterback draw play that netted nothing was a completely unnecessary call on that specific drive. Even his fade play to Arseneauzx involved a 40 yd. yard potentially dangerous pass for a 4 yd. touchdown reception when a quick slant would have sufficed (from a bunch formation).

His passing atack began the game vertically, with deep routes, which was very unwide but thankfully we shortened our routes or used more horizontal patterns as the game went on. When Khari called a bootleg, with a Burnham crossing pattern coming underneath, Jennings took off for a 20 yard touchdown, It was obvious that, if we got Jennnings outside the pocket it would put Edmonton in a bind. But Khari did not try another bootleg. Confusing.

2. Antonio Stuggles

Antonio Johnson had his worst game as a Leo. He really struggled in pass protection at times, getting beaten cleanly and taking penalties to boot.

4. Bighill is a Linebacker

We're asking for too much of Bighill. Dropping him off as a two deep safety and a three deep middle safety, as well as using him as a linebacker and blitzer is effecting his game. Bighill did not wrap up on White and it led to a big gain. Bighill looked lost for most of the first half.

5. Sinkfield Out of Sync

We took Boldewijn out of our offence and he was contributing, Sinkfield only had 21 yds on 3 receptions. If he wasn't so fast, I would have Boldwign back in the lineup. Sinkfied played well against Winnipeg but this game, we didn't use him much and Jennings is always talking to him to get him to adjust his patterns. But then again, the jet sweep would have been a great play to run this game and we didn;t and we also didn;t hit Sinkfield when we could have with some short crosses in the second half.

6. Lack of Defensive Adjustments in the Second Half

Our defense had a very good first half, holding Edmonton to 5 points. We held Bowman to 89 yards and Walker to 46 yards. But our defence gave up 20 second half points and once again did a poor job of covering the tailback in the flat, as we dropped Eliminian into the hook zone again, Fortunately Edmonton did not exploit it as often as it could have. We played Bighill mostly as a linebacker in the fourth quarter and that helped.

THE UGLY

1. Wally's Challenges
Wally's two challenges were collosal errors and the one he didn't challenge and should have led to an Edmonton touchdown. Buono's first challenge obviosly should not have been challenged. Wally burned his second challenge with no call yet it cost us a time out. When Bowman tripped over his own receiver in the end zone, Buono didn;t even challenge the call.

2. Kick Off Cover Team

Its still horrible. Its been horrible all season. It needs to get fixed. Time is running out.

WRAP

A huge win for our Leos. Still lots of hope for a home playoff game. Our Leo players really wanted this one. They gave it their all.

A big home win and turning things around, hopefully at the right time.

Its time to give our Leo players :cr: :cr: :cr: :cr: :cr: 5 star Benny Belly Bumps!! :wink: :thup: :roar:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I'm just wondering if the onside kick should have a different spot for the receiving team if ball goes sailing out. It's only spotted on the 45. A normal kickoff that goes out at the one comes out to the 45. Anyone else see this as a rule change. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a hard-fought, character win.

The Lions came out hard, controlled the line of scrimmage and rushed for 164 yards, including 108 by Jeremiah Johnson, controlling the clock and keeping the ball out of the hands of Mike Reilly and the Edmonton offence, who really didn't get anything going until the second half. When Edmonton scored, the Lions answered back.

The Lions mixed up their inside zone running game with draws, screen passes, shallow crossers and dump-offs to attack Edmonton's zone defence underneath where it is most vulnerable.

The B.C. defence made the Eskimos move the ball in short chunks, aside from giving up a 31-yard TD run to John White. Mike Reilly's longest completion of the game was 21 yards.

Jonathon Jennings was focused mainly on not throwing interceptions, to the point where he took three sacks instead of throwing the ball away. It paid off as he completed 21 of 27 passes (75%) for 273 yards, with 2 TDs and no interceptions. Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham accounted 13 of Jennings' 21 completions and 210 of his 273 passing yards. The Eskimos focused on stopping them but couldn't. Arceneaux fought hard for yards after the catch and was rewarded with a beautiful 70-yard catch-and-run TD, his second TD of the game.

The Lions are now a purrfect 6-0 when they win the turnover battle and 8-0 when they win or tie the turnover battle. Their main enemy is themselves. No team has been able to beat them when they protect the ball. They gave up 26 points off turnovers in the two games against Winnipeg, which they lost by a total of five points. They still have a shot at second place and should feel confident again that they can beat anyone.
Alputt
Champion

I thought establishing the running game was crucial. I think teams see our offence as a "long bomb" big pass kinda unit and defend as such. Seeing Johnson gain those 2 back to back first downs on the ground early on was magic.

And Jennings keeping a play alive to hit the end zone on that sack avoidance scramble to hit pay dirt was great. He could have thrown it away, and I could see his hesitation as that happened right in front of our section, but he kept moving and it paid off.

He deserves credit as well no INT's.

Also mention: Manny Show was full force.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: 1. Jennings Impresses

Jonathan Jennings was determined not to throw interceptions or be the scapegoat this game. Restricted by our passing offensive scheme in the first half, Jennings made some incredibly accurate and difficult throws. He hit Arseneaux off this back foot for a huge touchdown run.

He made a throw to Bryan Burnham that had to be thrown at just the right place before the double cover safety came over. His throw to Arseneaux against the blitz, with a lineman in his face was pure talent and poise under pressure. Jennings completed 75% of fhis passes for 273 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

My only fault in this game, was that Jennings was willing to take a huge sack rather than risk an interception. He was unusually conservative at times that way. But who can blame him as heaps of abuse was placed on him this week. Beamish even tried to bring up a little quarterback controversy but Buono shut it down quickly and wisely. He's learned from the past.

As I said, before this game, if we got Jennings outside, there would be lots of room for him to run. There was - as he scampered for a 20 yard touchdown run. Jones really should have called more bootleg passes against this defence.

Jennings has an amazing arm. The consistency of the accuracy of his throws is impressive. The placement of his passes is often astounding.
Jennings is quite amazing. One of my all time faves already. :thup:

Under pressure, one cannot recall any QB making so many accurate throws into tiny windows. Way more mobile than one might think. This fan has no problem with him eating the ball. Give him better protection, outlets, and game plans.
2. The Manny Show

Manny took some very difficult throws from Jennings and made sure he rewarded his quarterback for his confidence. Manny had 8 catches for 132 yds. His 70 yard catch and run was special to watch. Manny played this game with incredible heart to match his impressive talent.
Manny is on fire this year. This fan credits JJ, and also Burnie, for the support and inspiration. :thup:
3. Believe in Burnham

Bryan Burnham made two catches in this game that alone were worth the price of admission. In the first half, he went vertical to make a great catch and held the football after a wicked hit. In the second half, his one handed catch, while being tackled, was spectacular.
This receiver is unique in his style, and is truly amazing. :thup:
4 Jeremiah A Joy/Rainey Adds to Running Game

Jeremiah Johnson had 108 yds on 17 carries (6.4 yd. average). With our passing game having some struggles in the first half, Johnson ran fast and hard. He exploded throgh the line when there were openings and when there weren't on a couple of occasions, he made his own. Rainey averaged 9. 3 yds. per carry on his 3 rushes.
JJ24 is very, very effective. Rainey is the rainmaker, but you never know quite when. Big time weapon. :thup: :thup:
7. Aragki Hustles and It Pays Off

On a missed field goal, Jason Aragki looked out of the play but his hustle and determination would lead to a fumble that Vaillencour recovered. Instead of Edmonton having good field postiion, the hustle play would lead to a Leone field goal. It was a key play early in the fourth quarter.
Like a fine wine, Arakgi has improved with age. Can a special teamer, non kicker, make the Hall of Fame? :thup:
8. Rolly Rolls

Lumbala made some great blocks in this game to open up runs for our tailback. He also took a short swing pass and turned it into a big play. I wish we would run a fullback screen for him.
The fullback that could play tackle in a pinch. :thup:

Menard was solid in this game.
Always. :thup: One of our best draft picks ever.

THE UGLY

1. Wally's Challenges
Wally's two challenges were collosal errors and the one he didn't challenge and should have led to an Edmonton touchdown. Buono's first challenge obviosly should not have been challenged. Wally burned his second challenge with no call yet it cost us a time out. When Bowman tripped over his own receiver in the end zone, Buono didn;t even challenge the call.
''D'oh,'' as Homer Simpson would say.

As Yogi Berra would say, it's ''deja vu all over again.'' :wink:

You nailed it, Blitz. As I read through, I saw that you had discussed all the points I had in mind. Excellent break down. :thup:

A very nice win. We are not the flagship of the league, but we can challenge anybody on a particular day.

Aside from Westerman and Menard, both Nationals, IMO our DL personnel is just adequate, not championship level. Can we get by? Dunno ...

Great night. The Cubs go to the World Series. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jennings' hard counts resulted in 3 Edmonton offsides in the 1st quarter and had them on their heels. Very effective game neutralize their pass rush. Tackling much improved from last week. I liked the short passes. Defensively they need to do a better job of defending the flats. All teams seem to be attacking that area.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If I could take one QB, and two receivers in this league, I would take JJ, Manny and Burnie, in a heartbeat. Hey, we've already got 'em. :thup: :thup: :thup:

For all his graces as a GM and HC, one of Wally's strengths is his judgment of character. This team is loaded with leaders.

Lulay. Phillips. Arakgi. Solly. Biggie. Jovan. JJ. Manny. Burnie.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

I'm really getting tired of these "Roughing the passer calls." How could anyone call that Bighill on Reilly hit tonight roughing the passer. Reilly still had the ball in his hand. Unless i was missing something, the head was clearly not targeted.

I get trying to protect the quarterback, but not at the expense of the rest of the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

chwk_lionsfan wrote:I'm really getting tired of these "Roughing the passer calls." How could anyone call that Bighill on Reilly hit tonight roughing the passer. Reilly still had the ball in his hand. Unless i was missing something, the head was clearly not targeted.

I get trying to protect the quarterback, but not at the expense of the rest of the game.
You can't hit the QB below the knees or above the shoulders, whether or not he has the ball in his hands. It was an unfortunate penalty to take, and likely unintentional, but it was clearly deserved. The hit could have ended Reilly's season.
yukonlion
All Star

its also a rule about hitting the qb below the knees as they are vulnerable, though i didnt get a second look i thought biggy was tripped or leg whipped onthe play... glad maas got the penalty cuz wally had to run out and pont out a missed roughing qb call earlier in the year and he got flagged for runnign out at the refs

too bad as it was one of our few hurries on rielly tonight...
Blitz
Team Captain

yukonlion wrote:its also a rule about hitting the qb below the knees as they are vulnerable, though i didnt get a second look i thought biggy was tripped or leg whipped onthe play... glad maas got the penalty cuz wally had to run out and pont out a missed roughing qb call earlier in the year and he got flagged for runnign out at the refs

too bad as it was one of our few hurries on rielly tonight...
Purifoy got a sack on Reilly. Bighill was hit just prior to his penalty hit on Reilly. But he didn't do enough to avoid contact and it was dangerous.