Leos/Bombers Rematch

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The Leos/Bombers rematch on Friday night is one that a lot of CFL fans will be watching, after the excitement of last Saturday's game and the controversial Command Center call that was talked about all week, which may or may not have an impact on the final West standings.
Matt Dunigan: “Mind-boggling.” Milt Stegall: “They (Lions) got burned.” Chris Schultz: “Totally burned. It was crystal clear it was a fumble.”

would say of the Harris fumble review.

Last week, against the Bombers our defense came out and looked like it was Little Flower Academy playing the New England Patriots or a Pee Wee football team playing against a college football team. Our Leos were down 24-3 before a Leo fan could put a serious dent in the seat of their couch.

Jonathan Jennings, Bryan Burnham, Manny Arseneaux, and Chris Rainey then decided to put the game in their hands. Cue the comeback! But, with two cracks to gain 2 yards, on the Winnipeg five yard line, our Leos didn't get it done and the Command Center's call on the Harris fumble only added more disappointment to a game in which our our Leos key offensive players had made highlight reel and after highlight reel big plays.

One has to wonder how long can our Leos offence rely on huge, explosive, very difficult plays? How many times can the incredible Jonathan Jennings, with defenders in his face, make highly difficult, purrfect long throws. How many times can Bryan Burnham and Manny Arseneaux leap over double coverage to catch the football with spectacular skill and determination? How many times can Chris Rainey, with his great speed and incredible talent, also put this team on his back.

The Bombers focused on shutting down our big plays last Saturday and could not. Everyone knew they were coming and what they would look like. We defied the odds due to spectacular throws by Jennnigns, spectacular catches by Arseneaux and Burnham, beating double coverage, and spectacular runs by Chris Rainey.

Lets have a closer look at some of them as the game progressed: Rainey (70 yds.), Adekolu ( 36 yd. interference call), Rainey (56 yds.) Burnham (55 yds), Arseneaux (17 yds.), Arseneaux (16 yds.), Burnham 23 yds.), Rainey (46 yds) Burnham (33 yds.) Arseneaux (28 yds.), Rainey (44 yds.) Arseneaux (30 yds. -pass interference) Arseneaux (35 yds.) Burnham (18 yds.), and on our final offensive drive of the game: Burnham (41 yds.) Iannuzzi (22 yds) Arseneaux (16 yds).

The number of explosive plays in the game were mind boggling against a Bombers defense playing Cover 2 and Cover 3 to shut them down. But when it came down to our Leos needing a good play call in the red zone or a good block or two, to pick up second down and 2 yds. to go, or third and one, we couldn't get it done.

Three times we were inside the Bombers 5 yard line and couldn't score a touchdown. Three times we had negative yardage on plays - one pass to Rainey and two runs by Allen that lost yards, including a questionable draw play in the fourth quarter that lost us 5 yards, Sinkfield had a football bounce off his hands for an interception and big return. Three times, against Winnipeg, we couldn't convert second and two. We were stopped on a quarterback sneak on second and one. We couldn't make a block on the second and two call, gaining only one yard before Rainey was stopped on the important third and one, at the end of the game.

While Khari Jones play calling, when we needed a good play call was absent or terrible, it was not Jones who called the Rainey run of 56 yards for a touchdown or the play call to Rainey on third and one, that was stopped by Leggett. The decision to sneak the football or hand off to Rainey is determined by Travis Lulay, while on the field.
"Both of those plays were huddle (quarterback) calls,” said Travis Lulay. “If you look at Rainey’s touchdown, Leggett is engaged and blocked. On the second one (the botched sweep), Leggett flails and spins and happens to make a purrfect play right into Rainey’s legs. In hindsight (Lulay says with a chuckle), we should have run the sweep to the other side. That’s how it goes" Vancouver Sun
We made spectacular play after spectacular play but play calling and blocking for the run were our nemesis.

We need to win this game on Friday night, if we want to finish in second place. If we lose, we will be placing a second place finish in the hands of other teams, even if we win our remaining games.

Lets have a closer look:

DEFENCE

I started with defense this week because that is where our improvement is most needed. Our defense has been awful at times over the last three games. We can't get pressure on the opposing quarterback and our secondary has looked like Swiss cheese. Our pass defence has been exploited on the wide side, the boundary side, deep down the middle, and in the flats.

Our defense has given up too many long drives as well as big plays. We now rank 4th in terms of time of possession, due in part, to giving up too many first downs over the last three games. With Alex Bazzie getting double teamed or chipped, or having play action run to his side of the field, no one else is stepping up. John Chick and Sean Lemon have now gone ahead of Bazzie in the CFL sack leader contest.

Darius Allen, our rotational International defensive end has one sack. Menard, with only a litle spot duty has 2 sacks. Braynt Turner Jr. , who has not been on the field for weeks has 2 sacks. We are not getting penetration inside, where we most need it, against pocket quarterbacks. Brooks has no sacks on the season.

Our defense gave up 21 second half points to Montreal. We gave up 485 passing yards to Ottawa and 33 points. Our defense gave up 137 yds. of rushing to Edmonton, while enabling Mike Reilly to complete 78% of his pass attempts. Our defense gave up 24 points against Winnipeg before the first commercial time out. We gave up 37 points to the Bombers offence and more importantly, we gave up 10 fourth quarter points, when we needed our defense to take some pressure off our offence.

This is not championship caliber defense. We need much better coordination from Mark Washington and much better play from players as Brooks, Roh, Alllen, Stewart, Fenner, and Edem. Mark Washington needs to stop using Bighilll as a Cover 2 or Cover 3 safety, racing back from his outside linebacker spot to attempt to cover deep. Purifoy needs to be let loose again to utilize more of his talents.

OFFENCE

Jeremiah Johnson will likely get the start at tailback this game. But alternating tailbacks is not answer to a running attack that needs some diversity from Jones and Dorazio. You just can't use one inside zone read running play, with the same zone blocking, game after game, and not have defenses prepare for it. It puts too much pressure on the offensive line to make blocks against defenders who know what is coming.

We also need to adapt our passing attack to utilize Sinkfield's speed, rather than 'plug and playing' him as a possession receiver. We need smarter plays in the red zone from Khari Jones. We need to be prepared for the fact that, sooner or later, a defence will take away our explosive plays from Jennings to Burnham and Arseneaux. We can't expect that from them game after game. Calgary shut down our explosive plays and while we need to keep looking for them, we also need to compliment them with a better mix of underneath stuff. Our underneath plays are poorly designed.

The Bombers defense will be preparing, even more so than last week, to take away our explosive plays. They will be even more focused on Arseneaux and Burnham, who accounted for 358 yds. of our 422 yards. in passing last game. With an improved running game and a diversified passing attack, we have the talent on offence to continue an offence that can put a lot of points on the board.

SPECIAL TEAMS

This could be another close game. We can't afford to have Leone miss 35 yard field goals. Our downfield tackling on kick offs has been terrible all season and needs to get fixed.

Chris Rainey had an outstanding game against the Bombers, with big returns on kickoffs and punt returns. We'll need to block even better on Friday night, if we want the same kind of results as last game.

WRAP

This game is huge for both teams. Hopefully our Leos will emerge as the winners of the biggest game of our season, by far.

Go Leos!! :roar: :roar: :roar: :roar: :roar: :roar: :roar: :roar:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't wait for the rematch. Hope we get another officiating crew than the one the last week. Even Andre Proulx might be an improvement.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Can't wait for the rematch. Hope we get another officiating crew than the one the last week. Even Andre Proulx might be an improvement.
I can't wait for the game either TheLionKing but it will be difficult to duplicate the excitement, as well as the spectacular plays we saw from our Jennings, Burnham, Arseneaux, and Rainey from last Saturday.

You've watched CFL games for a long time now, as I have. I actually believe the officiating is a lot better now in the CFL than the 'good ol' days'. Video review has helped because no official wants to look like an idiot. The training is better too and the evaulations after games are very detailed and comprehensive. Officials get graded just as players do.

But back to the game on Friday night. While the Command Center's call has our attention and whether our Leos are a championship team or not is certainly a worthy discussion, this game on Friday night has tremendous magnitude.

Reading more Lionbackers comments regarding this upcoming home game of such importance against the Bombers would be a treat. This is the best football website in the CFL and it has that 'rep' due to all the knowledgeable posters who write here.

Lets focus on this upcoming game and the thoughts you have, in terms of what we need to do in order to come away as victors.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

The Bombers are pumped for Friday night, after clinching a playoff berth. They want a home playoff game.

Toni Gurley may play for the Bombers. Leggett and Wild did not practice but may be ready for the game on Friday night,
“Nothing changes. We still want to win these next three games; we want a home playoff game.”
Andrew Harris
"It felt great, obviously, knowing that it was official,” added quarterback Matt Nichols. “But my immediate reaction was we still have a lot more work to do. I mean, we’re not satisfied with just being in the playoffs nor, I’m sure, is anyone else. You’re still jostling for position and everyone’s goal, behind Calgary right now, is to get a home playoff game.
Bomber players often refer to Nichols as ‘Matty Ice’, but he was more than a little nervous after the trick play was called in Saturday’s win over the Lions. Nichols caught a TD pass from Rory Kohlert after LaPolice dialed up the play they’ve been working on all year near the B.C. goal line
The Bombers are 8-2 in their last 10 after their 1-4 start and, along the way, have won in just about every manner imaginable. They’ve won with defence, cranked out some big offensive numbers when needed, and got some solid special teams play that was massive in critical moments.

But they’ve also posted phenomenal numbers in the turnover-ratio department: the Bombers are +27, almost doubling the second-ranked team – the Stampeders – who are at +14.
Tori Gurley suited up for the first time as a member of the Bombers on Tuesday and got a lot of work with the No. 1 offence. Coach O’Shea said Gurley has been diving into Paul LaPolice’s playbook, but would not confirm yet whether he will be in the lineup for Friday’s game in Vancouver
The Bombers practiced without Maurice Leggett and Ian Wild on Tuesday. Both will be given every opportunity to heal before the club makes a call on whether they will be in the lineup on Friday.
Business As Usual

Ed Tait

The occasion probably could have called for a little sip of bubbly or, at the very least even a half-hearted cheer.
Oh sure, making the playoffs in the Canadian Football League may be old hat in places like Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, but when the Winnipeg Blue Bombers advanced to the postseason dance for the first time since 2011, it not only ended a sorry drought, but was a critical step in bringing the franchise back to respectability.

Yet, there were the Bombers at a chilly practice Tuesday going about their business as if having their postseason ticket punched was no big deal. And actually, if you’ve been listening to this bunch dating back even to their 1-4 start, it is exactly that.

This crew expects more than just to qualify for the Grey Cup derby. It wants to be a legit contender when the real games begin in mid-November. And so when they officially qualified for the playoffs Monday after the Toronto Argonauts fell to the Calgary Stampeders, well, let’s just say the reaction from the Bombers seemed to be a collective shrug of the shoulders.

“We had a smile about it today,” began head coach Mike O’Shea, “but the guys are very focused on B.C. this week and understand how tough this next one will be… beating a team back-to-back, going out to B.C. after beating them in the tough contest it was.
“I expect them to be pretty fired up and we will be, too.”

“It felt great, obviously, knowing that it was official,” added quarterback Matt Nichols. “But my immediate reaction was we still have a lot more work to do. I mean, we’re not satisfied with just being in the playoffs nor, I’m sure, is anyone else. You’re still jostling for position and everyone’s goal, behind Calgary right now, is to get a home playoff game.

“That’s our goal and I’m sure that’s B.C.’s goal, so I’m sure it’s going to be another tough one this week.”

Yes, even with the playoff berth in the back pocket there is still some heavy lifting to do if the Bombers want to play host to the West Division Semi-final on November 13th. Winnipeg could finish anywhere from second in the West to fourth and then cross over to the East Division. So the next step in this process is to have a playoff game at Investors Group Field and pray the weather offers some sort of advantage.

“(Making the playoffs) is great,” said Andrew Harris. “It’s something you set out to do at the beginning of the year – make the playoffs and get to the Grey Cup – but it’s one step at a time and we took the right step. We’ve just got to build off that. These next three games are huge for us. We’ve got to give all we’ve got to build up and peak at the right time again.

“Nothing changes. We still want to win these next three games; we want a home playoff game.”
Andrew Harris

“It’s a little chilly right now and we know that’s an advantage for our club. We’ve got to keep building and keep getting better every week,” said Harris.

The Bombers are 8-2 in their last 10 after their 1-4 start and, along the way, have won in just about every manner imaginable. They’ve won with defence, cranked out some big offensive numbers when needed, and got some solid special teams play that was massive in critical moments.

But they’ve also posted phenomenal numbers in the turnover-ratio department: the Bombers are +27, almost doubling the second-ranked team – the Stampeders – who are at +14.

“The team’s just been playing great all round,” said Nichols. “We’ve been playing great on defence, special teams and offence. It just seems like we have guys stepping up and making plays when we have big plays to be made.

“That’s what winning football is. It’s never one person. This team has a lot of confidence. We’ve got a lot of young guys that maybe took a few weeks to get up to speed and find that confidence and once we found it, we realized we have the talent to play with everyone and it just comes down to executing and being able to not make those mistakes to be a good team.”

BOMBER REPORT

NEW FACE ON BOARD:

Tori Gurley suited up for the first time as a member of the Bombers on Tuesday and got a lot of work with the No. 1 offence. Coach O’Shea said Gurley has been diving into Paul LaPolice’s playbook, but would not confirm yet whether he will be in the lineup for Friday’s game in Vancouver.

“I’ve been here from sun-up to sundown,” said Gurley of his cramming of the new offence. “It’s one of those things that I take pride in. They have me here to come out and play, so it’s my responsibility to learn the plays and go above and beyond.

“I sat down and spoke with all the quarterbacks and my receivers coach and we’re chipping away with it a little bit at a time.
Gurley, who let his feeling show on his exit from Toronto and arrival in Winnipeg in this piece for bluebombers.com on the weekend, was all smiles after practice on Tuesday in meeting with the media.

“It feels great,” he said. “The coaches and the players have done a great job of welcoming me here. The environment is different; we have that mentality of trying to do something special around here.

“The Blue Bomber fans are crazy. I had a hot dog during the game the other day and it was fantastic, so a shout-out to the guy at the hot dog stand. He was a great person as well.

“I got here early on (Saturday) and was studying and didn’t get a chance to eat. I saw a fan eating a hot dog, so I had to go get one as well.”

Asked if he can play slotback or wide receiver, Gurley added:

“I play everywhere, wherever coach needs me to play. Special teams… whatever it takes. When you’re around a team that’s this special, I just want to be a part of it. So, if they need me to feed the team hot dogs or water or whatever it takes to win, I’m for it.”

JOHNSON SPEAKS:

Bombers defensive back Bruce Johnson, suspended last Friday for two games by the CFL after testing positive for a banned substance, faced the media for the first time after practice on Tuesday.

“I’m very apologetic about all this,” he said. “I talked to my coaches, my teammates and we’re all on one accord, so we’re all trying to move on and get closer to the playoffs and get a home playoff game.”

Johnson said he did not appeal the suspension.

“It’s just a messed up situation,” he said. “Everything is unintentional. Like I told my teammates, just be careful what you do around here, be cognizant of what you do and everybody should watch out for each other.

“It means a lot that they’ve got my back and are very supportive and they just didn’t throw me out to the wolves. I’ve been talking with a lot of guys and everybody is just getting through this with me.

“It’s not the best situation, but you can always learn from this. I’m going to move forward after this.”

OUCH REPORT:

The Bombers practiced without Maurice Leggett and Ian Wild on Tuesday. Both will be given every opportunity to heal before the club makes a call on whether they will be in the lineup on Friday.

TD MACHINE:
Bombers receiver Clarence Denmark pulled in his seventh TD in eight games in the win over the Lions, adding to what is already a career high. Denmark had three TDs in each of the last two years.

“He’s a pro’s pro,” said Nichols of Denmark. “He comes out here and works hard every single day. He’s not a big talker. He just goes about his business and is always doing things the right way. He’s just a guy that you can always rely on and he always seems to come up with the tough catch.

“The touchdowns have been huge, but there was a play last drive in the Calgary game when we were going in for the game-winning drive and third-and-10, guy on his back, he made a great catch on a dig route. Those are the types of plays he comes up with. He’s a guy you can lean on when you need a big play.”

MATTY ICE?:

Bomber players often refer to Nichols as ‘Matty Ice’, but he was more than a little nervous after the trick play was called in Saturday’s win over the Lions. Nichols caught a TD pass from Rory Kohlert after LaPolice dialed up the play they’ve been working on all year near the B.C. goal line.

“It was crazy because from the time the play is called to the time all of a sudden you’re in the end zone with the ball is about a 15-second span, so you don’t have too much time to think about it,” said Nichols. “Luckily I probably didn’t think about it too much.

I told those guys it’s nerve-racking when you see that ball come to you and you know you’re wide open and you’ve got to catch it.
“It was great to make that play. It was a big momentum play for us. It got the crowd into it… it was big for more than just getting the seven points.”
maxlion
Legend

Matty Ice is the worst sports nickname ever. That's all.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Let's start with the real reasons the Lions lost last week.

1. Turnovers
The Lions gave up 10 points off two interceptions (one of them a tipped ball by Sinkfield) and they turned the ball over on downs inside the Bomber five-yard line with a minute left in the game. The Bombers needed all those turnovers to win. The Bombers are contending for second place because they lead the league in turnover margin. The Lions can't afford to lose the turnover battle that badly in the rematch.

2. Red-zone offence
The B.C. offence got inside the Winnipeg 10 yard line five times and scored 20 points (2 TDs, 2 FGs and a turnover on downs). Despite getting lots of practice with two-point converts from the three yard line, they're barely over 50% in red-zone productivity. They have three basic plays that have been shown to work in that situation:

- the zone read handoff to the running back to the left side of the line behind Hunter Steward and Jovan Olafioye, which worked once in two tries last week
- the jet sweep to Chris Rainey that was snuffed in the final minute last week when almost everyone saw it coming
- the flare pass to Manny Arceneaux in the backfield, which the Bombers shut down last week, again when they saw it coming, forcing Jonathon Jennings to take a sack

What do those plays have in common? They all put the ball in the hands of a playmaker behind the line of scrimmage and depend on the playmaker and his blockers to all execute. Most teams in that situation throw to the end zone, using combination routes on the outside to get receivers open on quick slants inside, post patterns or corner routes deeper in the end zone.

3. Run defence
The Lions fell behind early in part because of turnovers and in part because Mark Washington focused on stopping the pass first rather than the run first. Winnipeg is a run-first team. While Adam Bighill was playing 20 yards downfield as a cover-2 safety and Loucheiz Purifoy was blitzing off the edge in a failed attempt to pressure Matt Nichols, Andrew Harris piled up seven touches for 46 yards and two TDs in the first quarter, including the direct snap he took and pitched to Rory Kohlert, who threw a TD pass to Nichols.

After the first quarter, Washington brought Bighill up to his usual linebacker spot and focused on stopping Winnipeg's running and short passing game, while using Purifoy in pass coverage, and the Lions easily outdistanced the Bombers the rest of the way.

The Bombers pulled out all stops to get the win last week. They executed a fake field goal and at throwback to the quarterback for their second touchdown. That's not likely to happen again. Bryan Burnham had a career game for the Lions with nine catches for 208 yards, while Arceneaux had 10 catches for 150 yards. They accounted for 85% of B.C.'s 422 passing yards. That's not likely to happen again. Chris Rainey accounted directly or indirectly for 17 B.C. points with two long kick returns and a 56-yard TD run. That's not likely to happen again. It would help for someone else to step up and help shoulder the offence this week. That likely means Shawn Gore, Terrell Sinkfield or Jereimah Johnson, who is expected to start at running back.

Both teams will be focused this week on correcting the mistakes they made last week. I expect to see more of a hard-fought defensive battle. I think B.C. has the edge in talent on both sides of the ball. If they can cut down on turnovers, execute better in the red zone and shut down the Winnipeg running game on first down, they should come out on top.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Let's start with the real reasons the Lions lost last week.

1. Turnovers
The Lions gave up 10 points off two interceptions (one of them a tipped ball by Sinkfield) and they turned the ball over on downs inside the Bomber five-yard line with a minute left in the game. The Bombers needed all those turnovers to win. The Bombers are contending for second place because they lead the league in turnover margin. The Lions can't afford to lose the turnover battle that badly in the rematch.

2. Red-zone offence
The B.C. offence got inside the Winnipeg 10 yard line five times and scored 20 points (2 TDs, 2 FGs and a turnover on downs). Despite getting lots of practice with two-point converts from the three yard line, they're barely over 50% in red-zone productivity. They have three basic plays that have been shown to work in that situation:

- the zone read handoff to the running back to the left side of the line behind Hunter Steward and Jovan Olafioye, which worked once in two tries last week
- the jet sweep to Chris Rainey that was snuffed in the final minute last week when almost everyone saw it coming
- the flare pass to Manny Arceneaux in the backfield, which the Bombers shut down last week, again when they saw it coming, forcing Jonathon Jennings to take a sack

What do those plays have in common? They all put the ball in the hands of a playmaker behind the line of scrimmage and depend on the playmaker and his blockers to all execute. Most teams in that situation throw to the end zone, using combination routes on the outside to get receivers open on quick slants inside, post patterns or corner routes deeper in the end zone.

3. Run defence
The Lions fell behind early in part because of turnovers and in part because Mark Washington focused on stopping the pass first rather than the run first. Winnipeg is a run-first team. While Adam Bighill was playing 20 yards downfield as a cover-2 safety and Loucheiz Purifoy was blitzing off the edge in a failed attempt to pressure Matt Nichols, Andrew Harris piled up seven touches for 46 yards and two TDs in the first quarter, including the direct snap he took and pitched to Rory Kohlert, who threw a TD pass to Nichols.

After the first quarter, Washington brought Bighill up to his usual linebacker spot and focused on stopping Winnipeg's running and short passing game, while using Purifoy in pass coverage, and the Lions easily outdistanced the Bombers the rest of the way.

The Bombers pulled out all stops to get the win last week. They executed a fake field goal and at throwback to the quarterback for their second touchdown. That's not likely to happen again. Bryan Burnham had a career game for the Lions with nine catches for 208 yards, while Arceneaux had 10 catches for 150 yards. They accounted for 85% of B.C.'s 422 passing yards. That's not likely to happen again. Chris Rainey accounted directly or indirectly for 17 B.C. points with two long kick returns and a 56-yard TD run. That's not likely to happen again. It would help for someone else to step up and help shoulder the offence this week. That likely means Shawn Gore, Terrell Sinkfield or Jereimah Johnson, who is expected to start at running back.

Both teams will be focused this week on correcting the mistakes they made last week. I expect to see more of a hard-fought defensive battle. I think B.C. has the edge in talent on both sides of the ball. If they can cut down on turnovers, execute better in the red zone and shut down the Winnipeg running game on first down, they should come out on top.
Outstanding analysis of the strategies and reasons why we lost the game last Saturday, both on offence and on defence as well as the strengths we showed in that game. Your keys to the game are insightful B.C. Fan. I won't duplicate them but attempt to add on to them.

ADDITIONAL KEYS TO THE GAME

A DIVERSIFIED ATTACK

In our previous game against the Bombers, we saw the Jennings/Burnham/Manny/Rainey show. And what an incredible performance it was. It was like having front row seats to the greatest football show on earth, in terms of explosive plays. I wonder if two receivers on the same team have ever put up 358 receving yards in a game.

But one can bet that the Bombers, who often had Burnham or Arseneaux in double coverage, using Cover 2 and Cover 3 defenses, will have new strategies on defence this week. They could attempt to play them with press man coverge or play more zone defence to attempt to shut them down.

Khari Jones and Jennings will need to game plan a diversified offensive attack. What does that mean? It means the Bombers defence, should they adjust to overplaying Arseneaux and Burnham even more, we have some good combination routes for Adekolu, Iannuuzzi, and Sinkfield. This game is an opportunity to use the speed of Sinkfield, with the Bombers focused on Arseneaux and Burnham.

Khari Jones, when Gore got hurt, decided to make two changes to our receiver positions rather than one. He could have, and should have, in my opinion, left Iannuzzi where he was at field outside receiver and inserted Adekolu at boundary wide side receiver. Adekolu is a tall, smooth receiver with excellent hands. Those strengths really suit the type of patterns we utilize for our boundary receiver. Adekolu drew a 35 yd. pass interference penalty and looked comfortable starting in his first game for our Leos. Iannuzzi had 3 catches last game for 36 yards, with 22 yards coming off one catch in the 4th quarter. Sinkfield, Iannuzzi, and Gore will need to be targeted more on Friday night.

Jennings will still want to be looking for those big plays to Arseneaux and Burnham but if we focus too much on them, it could lead to turnovers.

I wrote a detailed analysis before last game regarding the Bombers defence and what they like to do. One element of that outline was that the Bombers line up their middle linebacker close to the line, to stop the run and to blitz often. Their second linebacker keys the tailback. If he stays in to block, the Bombers often blitz their second linebacker as well, on a delayed blitz. That style of defence provides a very good matchup for the tailback swing pass or flat pass.

However, Khari Jones set it up badly. We threw 3 passes to our tailback out of the backfield for a total of 4 yards. Allen had two catches for a total of 5 yards and Rainey lost a yard on the swing pass we threw to him. How the hell did that happen? The key to success would have been to have the tailback stay in first to 'chip block'. Once the tailback sets up to block, the second linebacker blitzes. Once he starts his blitz, the tailback then should release. But we didn't do that. We sent the tailback out to the flat quickly and the Bombers read the play.

The screen pass was available for huge yards all game. With the Bombers chasing in man defense and with a linebacker blitzing, the boundary screen was a no brainer. If the tailback had set up to block, waited for the second linebacker to blitz, and we had cleared out the boundary side with our boundary receivers running a high/low cross, the only Bomber defensive player on the boundary side would have been their Cover 2 deep safety. With 3 offensive lineman blocking for either Allen or Rainey, it would have been a nightmare for the Bombers and a huge, easy play for us. Oh, I forgot, Khari Jones doesn't use screen passes.

We also need to have some red zone plays that actually will work. The Bombers have the worst red zone defence in the CFL but we made the Bombers red zone defence look great by being inside their 5 yard line three times and not scoring a touchdown. As you pointed out B.C. Fan, we need some intelligent play calls from Khari Jones down there and not plays that can be tipped off, like the Arseneaux flat pass that the Bombers had scouted well.

The strength of our offence is Jonathan Jennings, the left side of our offensive line, receivers Burnham and Arseneaux, a fresh International tailback, and Rainey, when he comes into the game on offence. The weakness of our offence Khari Jones, Dorazio, and Bellefeuille (or Belli -Fail, as he w's as known in Hamilton and Winnipeg).

Khari Jones passing attack lacks diversity and it only works because of the talents of Jennings, Burnham, Arseneaux, and Rainey. Dorazio designs our one play running attack that relies solely on the zone blocking of our offensive linemens talents and the ability of our tailback and every CFL defence prepares well for it. It really restricts our offensive lineman and tailback, who so often overcome it with their talents.

A good example of how defenses prepare for us is our last game against the Bombers. They sniffed out the Arseneaux flat pass. They keyed our running game by ensuring that they had four down linemen and two linebackers against our five offensive linemen. No wonder Anthony Allen was stopped for minimal yardage so often.

Wally can *beeotch* about Husband and , oblock on second and two, on the Bombers six yard line, with the game on the line but look who makes the tackle. Its Loffler, who is close to the line and free to step up inside, due to the blocki g scheme on the play. Why are we running behind Husband, instead of Steward and Oliofioye and why don't we have a tight end or Lumbala, or use a receiver to block the linebacker?

The fault of the play, on second and two, is not on the offensive linemen but on the design of the play, based on Winnipeg's defence. They stuffed our run all game and we did the same thing on second and two again. Stupid is doing the same thing, over again, when its not working and expecting a different result.

We need a more diversified running attack this game. Even one additiional running play, to have two different running plays in our 'arsenal' , rather than just have the one inside zone read play, would make a huge difference. The inside zone read is supposed ot be the 'foundation' running play of a spread offence, not the only running play. Throw in a quick toss or a jet sweep to Sinkfield or a trap play, or an inside zone option play. Give the defense something else to worry about.

TAKE AWAY THE BOMBERS STRENGTHS ON DEFENSE

Why the hell Mark Washington has our defense in a Cover 2 or a Cover 3 in the first half of the game agpaainst Winnipeg is beyond me. Why he has Bighill racing backwards from his linebacker position to cover the deep one half of the field or the deep 1/3 of the field is ludicrous. The Bombers run a lot of possession type routes for their receivers. Dressler is their only deep threat. Nichols completed only one pass for longer than 20 yards against us last Saturday and that was to Dressler.

The Bombers like to run the football and then use misdirection play action off it, usually with a semi-rollout for Nichols, who then likes to throw to the tailback off it. Its a play we used often when Chap was here and Lulay threw to Harris. Its a good play. LaPolice also likes the screen game.

The Bombers only had 233 yards passing against us last game. Andrew Harris had 50 of those yards. But they made our defence look like fools and not only on trick plays. They mixed in 106 yards of rushing with their possession passing game while we had Bighill playing deep, Purifoy standing at the line of scrimmage, and our defensive backs playing off. Really sound strategy! :thdn:

So, the best way to stop the Bombers is to focus on stopping their running game and their short passing game. That means keeping Bighill in his linebacking position on the boundary side. It means using Purifoy to cover the flat or the tailback out of the backfield on misdirection play action. It means using a Cover 1 defence, with the safety focused on any deeper pattern by Dressler.

If you and I can see what the Bombers offence is doing, why the heck is a professional defensive coordinator as Mark Washington not only overplaying the Bombers passing game but also playing them paranoid against their deep passing attack (which doesn't exist) by dropping Bighill into a deep safety spot? Bighill also can't play the Bombers running game from the deep safety position

The second key to this game is to play the style of defences that will actually take away the Bombers strengths.
David
Team Captain

Not a lot to add to the above - Blitz and BCFAN have done a great job, but I just think Wally is going to have to be less conservative this game. This does not mean being "reckless" and taking unnecessary chances, but we have to beat the Bombers by more than 2 points. We need to be more aggressive.

For example, I did not (at the time and now) like the decision to kick a field goal going into half-time, leaving us 4 points down instead of tied. Anthony Allen appeared to have the first down, but we received a bad spot. Remarkably, with 20 seconds still left on the clock Wally never even asked for a measurement, yelling out "too far" and "field goal!" "field goal!" Well, how does he know it was too far? Even if it was a full yard, we had all this momentum from marching nearly the length of the field - I am quite sure we would have been able to move into position for a TD.

You know Winnipeg is going to try to catch us off guard with fake punts, and have some gadget plays up their sleeve to extend drives and keep their offense on the field (and ours off it). In big games like this one, late in the season, it may be time to show the Bombers something they haven't seen from us before! Of course, that's really not Wally's style. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
dtrain
Starter

Lions marketing dept. should be pulling out the stops, doing whatever it takes to fill the lower bowl for Friday night.
The setup for this match couldn't be better, up to them to now capitalize on it.
A great crowd and atmosphere would set up nicely for remaining 2 games against classic Western rivals.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:Lions marketing dept. should be pulling out the stops, doing whatever it takes to fill the lower bowl for Friday night.
The setup for this match couldn't be better, up to them to now capitalize on it.
A great crowd and atmosphere would set up nicely for remaining 2 games against classic Western rivals.
They should but they won't. Do they even have a marketing department ? It's one of the best kept secret in this city.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
dtrain wrote:Lions marketing dept. should be pulling out the stops, doing whatever it takes to fill the lower bowl for Friday night.
They should but they won't. Do they even have a marketing department ? It's one of the best kept secret in this city.
There is a thread on this topic. You should consider posting this on there.

What our your thoughts on the game TheLionKing? What do you think is the key or keys to us winning?
Alputt
Champion

Hey fans don't forget it is Purolator Tackle Hunger night at BC Place on Friday, would love to see the Lions on top of that league table!

Bring your canned foodstuffs!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: What our your thoughts on the game TheLionKing? What do you think is the key or keys to us winning?
At the risk of repeating what others have already stated, here are my keys:

- win the turnover battle

- pressure Nichols. Lions had no pressure on him last week

- be ready to play from the opening kickoff. Can't afford to spot them 21 points and play catchup

- capitalize when in the red zone. One play I would like to see Jennings on short yardage is the quarterback option. It is almost impossible to defend. Ron Lancaster made a living running that play.

- move the launch point for Jennings instead of keeping him in the pocket.

- Bombers will have some new packages to contain Arceneaux and Burnham. Time to get Sinkfield, Gore and Iannuzzi involved in the passing attack

- make the Bombers defend the entire field. More screens, reverses, passes to the perimeter.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote: What our your thoughts on the game TheLionKing? What do you think is the key or keys to us winning?

- be ready to play from the opening kickoff. Can't afford to spot them 21 points and play catchup

- capitalize when in the red zone. One play I would like to see Jennings on short yardage is the quarterback option. It is almost impossible to defend. Ron Lancaster made a living running that play.

- Bombers will have some new packages to contain Arceneaux and Burnham. Time to get Sinkfield, Gore and Iannuzzi involved in the passing attack

- make the Bombers defend the entire field. More screens, reverses, passes to the perimeter.
Most of what you are suggesting requires the Lions to make changes in how they do things and as we know that is something that has always been slow to occur with a Wally coached team. So I predict the above will all happen around playoff time but not likely before then. :bang:
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

Most of what you are suggesting requires the Lions to make changes in how they do things and as we know that is something that has always been slow to occur with a Wally coached team. So I predict the above will all happen around playoff time but not likely before then. :bang:

No, we are not good at 'change'. There are two types of people in the world, in general terms. Those who fear change and those who either embrace it or at least believe in adapting to change. Rigid people, underneath, are fearful, although they don't realize it. The feeling of safety arrives each day by doing what they did the day before. There is risk with change but smart risk offers more reward.

We'll be in the spread offence, with either the very same scheme and play calls or very minor adaptions will have been made. On defence, the same will likely happen. That will leave it to our players to make plays and overcome our predictability on offence and defence. Remember when Arseneaux missed Iannuzzi in the end zone with a pass. It does happen. But its as rare as a Hailey's comet sighting. It doesn't have to be a trick play.

In fact it would be so much better if it was just a very sound, well designed football play, like a jet sweep, jailbreak screen, or deep ball for Sinkfield or moving a receiver around (it would be a good strategy for this game to move Arseneauz and Burnham around a bit so the Bombers defensive strategies to stop them will not work as successfully as they hope). Line up Arseneaux as the boundary wide receiver on some plays. Line up both Arseneaux and Burnham together on the boundary side of the field. Throw a big receiever like Adekolu in the slot for a couple of plays.

Run a screen play for heavens sake. Its the best play against the blitz and especially against a team like the Bombers who like to blitz one linebacker and delay blitz their second linebacker often, if he sees the tailback blocking on a pass play. I won't even try to imagine a throw back screen to our fullback or a slotback who would set up, looking like he was back side blocking for a pass play.

But getting back to more basics, after quarterbacking, offensive line play is the most important aspect of a football team, followed by defensive line play. I just read an article on cfl. ca about what makes the Calgary Stampeders so outstanding this season.
— The secret to Calgary’s 13-1-1 record this season? Well, there are many.

There’s the production from Bo Levi Mitchell and his receivers . . . the league-low 20 giveaways . . . even the discipline — the Stamps rank second in the league with only 120 penalties.

The one thing you can’t miss, quite literally, is the Stamps’ O-line. That five-man unit, whoever is starting on a given day, is the biggest and best in the CFL and has played a leading role in the Stampeders’ success this season.

While Mitchell heads towards his first Most Outstanding Player honour and Dave Dickenson likely follows suit with a coach of the year award in his first season in charge, the work of the Stamps’ O-line hasn’t gone unnoticed.

It’s that group that has kept Mitchell standing while allowing him to throw 4,871 yards and a league-leading 29 touchdown passes, all while being sacked just once every 40.1 dropbacks:

While Mitchell has had an easy time in the pocket, Calgary’s O-line has also paved the way for the league’s leading rusher in Jerome Messam (1,002 yards).

Part of it has to do with its size. At an average height of 6-foot-5 and a weight of 331 pounds, Calgary’s offensive line is by far the biggest and most powerful in the league.

The average CFL O-line weighs an average of 311.6 pounds — nearly five pounds fewer than the lightest member of the Stamps’ O-line, Dan Federkeil at 316 pounds.

WPG-318.2,6-5
EDM-317.6,6-7
MTL-310.6,6-5
BC-309,6-6
SSK-308,6-5
HAM-306, 6-3
OTT-303.6-6-5
TOR-300.2,6-4

Four of five starters on the Stamps’ O-line in Week 16 weigh more than 320 pounds. The Bombers are the only other team with multiple players weighing more than 320 pounds, and they only have two.

If teams can’t touch Bo Levi Mitchell then Mitchell won’t be stopped and neither will the Stampeders. And with an O-line that’s been able to survive injury and still dominate opponents on a weekly basis, don’t count on that happening any time soon.
What the article does not mention is that the Stamps have started 10 different offensive linemen this season, due to injuries. Wilson has played center, guard, and tackle. They've often used four National starters. That is not just size but also coaching to have that many different offensive lineman start for Calgary. Cohesion is usually so important for offensive line play.

We have very good size on the left side of our offensive line. Both Olifioye and Steward are over 325 pounds. But we are light at center and especially on the right side of our offensive line. While most teams are focused on getting bigger at offensive guard, due to the prevalence of running inside in the spread offence and also because defensive tackles keep getting bigger and bigger. But we have chosen to play a 300 pound Kirby Fabian over a 330 pound Vaillencourt at right guard. Adcock was big but slow so we're back to Antonio Johnson at right tackle. He's been solid but not dominating.

Dorazio has been fortunate that we have really not had any offensive line injuries, except for one game for Antonio Johnson. Deciding to stick with Fabian after Vaillencourt was healthy again was a decision as was inserting Adcock and O'Neil for a a number of games.

Why is it that one game we can run the football very well and the next game we can struggle. Why is it that one game we can protect Jennings well and the next game we can't? Why is it, that with the Bombers freaking out to try to stop Arseneaux and Burnham, using Cover 2 and Cover 3 defenses, that we can't run the football almost at all. Offensive lineman are not that inconsistent from week to week. It really comes down to offensive line coaching and play selection for the run game. Sorry - there is no play selection for our run game. We only have one running play. I almost forgot. :wink:

We're also being fooled by the notion that we are the best running team in the CFL. We're not. Our run stats are a distortion due to Jennings ability to run the football, although he hasn't done much of that recently.

Our two Interantional tailbacks (Johnson, Allen) have combined for 946 yards. Rainey has run for 192 yards, mostly due to his quickness and speed, rather than our blocking. That adds up to 1138 yds.

Jerome Messam has rushed for 1,002 yards, more than our two International tailbacks combined. Torri Harrison has run for 142 yds. Calgary's two running backs have rushed for 1,144 yds., which is more than our tailbacks have rushed for.

Edmonton's two International tailbacks John White (678 yds) and Shakiri Bell (334 yds.) have combined for 146 more rushing yards (1,112 yds) than our two International tailbacks. Even with Rainey added in, our rushing stats are similar.

The Montreal game also fattened up our rushing stats. We also run the football more than most teams, which makes us look like a more effective running team than we really are. At the start of this season, we had the best run average in the CFl, by far but over time, that stat has dropped and we no longer leading the pack like we did. Just using one running play does that.

I give credit to our offensive line players and tailbacks for being able to run the football as effectively as we have, using basically one running play and one way of blocking for that one running play. That makes things a lot tougher. Defenses know what is coming when we choose to run the football. But then again, they also know what is coming when we pass the football too.

Its our talent, not our coaching, that makes it difficult it difficult for defenses to stop our offence.