Lions vs. Eskimos Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

ok heroics
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hate bye weeks
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Eskimos were fill value for the win. The game still came down to a jump ball in the end zone on the final play.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lions still have lot to prove. 6-1 vs East and now 2-3 vs West.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

They didn't do what they needed to do. They looked a little off all night and for some reason, they didn't do much of a job spreading the ball around tonight. Focused on Arceneaux a little too much and 2 picks killed us. Especially that last one. They needed to be better on offense to keep the Esks off the field on O and they just didn't seem to have an answer tonight. Can't say that I am surprised. I thought that the Esks would be a desperate team and we just couldn't get back into the groove after a bye week. Now we are in a bit of a fix. Calgary and first are probably off the table and 2nd is now in jeopardy. I guess we are now pulling for the Stamps to take out the Bombers. Had we won, it probably would have been the other way around. O-line looked shakey tonight as well.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The Eskimos were fill value for the win. The game still came down to a jump ball in the end zone on the final play.
From the second quarter on, Esks took it to the Lions. Zero adjustment at the and only when it was too late. The Esks D began to believe and their confidence propelled them to the end of the game. Only good thing to say is that the Lions record to date allows this to not hurt like it may have otherwise. Plus there will be lots of self assessment for the Lions to go over before the next game between the two sides.
Entertainment value = an all time low
CardiacKid
Legend

Sinkfield was a complete non-factor; one ball thrown his way by my recollection. Vaillencourt was exposed more than once. The chippiness seemed to work in favour of the Esks; they out-gutted the Leos. Maybe the team got out of the gates too quick?

Bad decisions, weak gut check by the team. But the sort of things you can correct. Time for the vets to show the younger guys how to rebound.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:They didn't do what they needed to do. They looked a little off all night and for some reason, they didn't do much of a job spreading the ball around tonight. Focused on Arceneaux a little too much and 2 picks killed us. Especially that last one. They needed to be better on offense to keep the Esks off the field on O and they just didn't seem to have an answer tonight. Can't say that I am surprised. I thought that the Esks would be a desperate team and we just couldn't get back into the groove after a bye week. Now we are in a bit of a fix. Calgary and first are probably off the table and 2nd is now in jeopardy. I guess we are now pulling for the Stamps to take out the Bombers. Had we won, it probably would have been the other way around. O-line looked shakey tonight as well.
Good call Sir P as per usual. Out OL was letting the ESKS put pressure just about every down. Noway even for Jennings to feel comfortable and then the inexperience of a strong armed QB coughed up a couple picks. Live by the sword die by the sword. Next game the Lions better find some more room for our sword to wield to its ability.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Alputt
Champion

Loss snapped from the jaws of victory. Where were the second half adjustments? We have a spotty record against Western teams with Winnipeg on the ascendant I hope we don't end up playing for crossover.
B.C. bound
prospect

TheLionKing wrote:Why is the Lions wanting the Eskies to kick off instead of taking the ball ?
I did not realize this at the time, but apparently with 3 minutes or less in the game, there is not the option of taking the ball on your own 35 yard line after a field goal....you must take the kick off.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

B.C. bound wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Why is the Lions wanting the Eskies to kick off instead of taking the ball ?
I did not realize this at the time, but apparently with 3 minutes or less in the game, there is not the option of taking the ball on your own 35 yard line after a field goal....you must take the kick off.
cant hazard a guess re the reason for this rule??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C. bound
prospect

KnowItAll wrote:
B.C. bound wrote:
cant hazard a guess re the reason for this rule??
I'm with you on that....I'm not sure what the reasoning is either? Anyone else?
Blitz
Team Captain

I think its to force some excitement of the possibility of a big return late in the game.

A lot of teams will choose to take the football at their own 35 yard line after a field goal. Just watch the NFL, where they moved the football forward on kickoff and returns seldom happen down there now.

Fans tend to like to see kick off returns.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the rule is designed to allow a team that is trying a come back and has just kicked a FG, to then be able to try a onside kickoff. Without that rule the team trying to protect a lead would just take the ball on the 35 yard line and not allow a kickoff. So in short it is designed to enable comeback attempts.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:I think the rule is designed to allow a team that is trying a come back and has just kicked a FG, to then be able to try a onside kickoff. Without that rule the team trying to pro tect a lead would just take the ball on the 35 yard line and not allow a kickoff. So in short it is designed to enable comeback attempts.
I thought of that too but doubted myself. I think you've convinced me. Thanks DanoT.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)