Jim Popp out, Jacques Chapdelaine named Als' interim coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It was inevitable. Popp had never had a winning record as a coach with the Als, and the team has been in chaos on and off the field.

Jacques Chapdelaine has a tough assignment but his experience and offensive expertise make him the right person for the job, and his fluency in French is a great asset in that market. I wish him well.
Jim Popp is no longer the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes as the team announced Monday that Jacques Chapdelaine would take over as interim head coach for the remainder of the 2016 season.

Popp will remain as the team’s general manager.

Chapdelaine joined the Als this season as wide receivers coach and special assistant to the offensive coordinator.

This makes him the 22nd head coach in Als history, will make his debuts Oct. 2 when the team hosts the Argos at Molson Stadium.

Chapdelaine has an extensive coaching resume, notably as an offensive coordinator for the B.C. Lions, Edmonton Eskimos and Saskatchewan Roughriders. He has been to the Grey Cup four times and won three championships.

He was a head coach at the Université Laval Rouge et Or from 1997-2000, where he won a Vanier Cup in 1999.
Montreal Gazette article
squishy35
Legend

I hope that Chaps has a measure of success in the remainder of the season. If he can negotiate a workable truce between Cato and the receiving corps misfits maybe the Als can secure a couple of wins down the stretch...
Blitz
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:I hope that Chaps has a measure of success in the remainder of the season. If he can negotiate a workable truce between Cato and the receiving corps misfits maybe the Als can secure a couple of wins down the stretch...
I think its a good move by the Als. They had to get Popp out of there. Chap has lots of experience as an offensive coordinator and hopefully he can give Cavillo direction and Cavillo will be ready to receive it. Chap has been a Head Coach before at the Canadian university level on two occasions, so he does have some experience in that role.

I really liked the version of Jaques Ball in 2011 and 2012. We had our offensive struggles, mid season, in 2013, with our running game and Lulay's injury in 2013. But we finished that season with over 200 yards of rushing in each of our last four games of that season, once Dorazio changed the blocking scheme.

I thought Chap was an innovative offensive coordinator during his last 3 years with our Leos. He also did a very good job with the Riders offence until both his quarterbacks were injured last season.

This is an opportunity Chap has always wanted and likely thought he might never get. I wish him well.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Jacques Chapdelaine has a tough assignment but his experience and offensive expertise make him the right person for the job,
I just, I mean, I couldn't make it through this sentence without dissolving into :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

All the confidence of the world in his ability to run a CIS program. CFL? No thanks. But they're playing out the string, and the Als would do well to pull Noel Thorpe aside and say "hey, we're going to let this guy take the fall, the job is yours next year."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I wish Jacques well. Tough situation. He has the resume. If the players buy in, he might have some success stabilizing a drifting franchise.

This fan is not sure how Calvillo is doing as an inexperienced OC, nor how he will work with JC as Head Coach. This relationship has to work. Anthony has to acknowledge that JC is the Head Coach, with a vast background as OC.

Thorpe has run an effective defence for years. It seems to this fan that it is the offence that must improve. And, of course, the team morale and motivation, etc.

It is conceivable that Thorpe, possibly the locker room ranting Reed, and maybe even the inexperienced Calvillo may feel they should have gotten the HC job, even though it is "interim." They have to buy in and work with the new HC. A big challenge for JC to get these guys onside.

This fan wishes JC all the success. :thup:

Can he make it work? Dunno. It is a tough gig. Under Popp, the team became a shambles. One thinks the talent must be OK. Can the attitudes be adjusted?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal is not an exciting team to watch but it will be entertaining now with Chapdelaine on the sidelines twirling his index finger over his head. :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Jacques Chapdelaine has a tough assignment but his experience and offensive expertise make him the right person for the job,
I just, I mean, I couldn't make it through this sentence without dissolving into :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

All the confidence of the world in his ability to run a CIS program. CFL? No thanks. But they're playing out the string, and the Als would do well to pull Noel Thorpe aside and say "hey, we're going to let this guy take the fall, the job is yours next year."

Unless he's a forgiving man Thorpe may have zero interest in returning to Montreal next year after that little charade back in December. I personally think Montreal was right to try blocking him leaving and Orridge was wise to put some protocols in place for how coaches under contract can move. I also think Thorpe has the right to still be bitter about it. He did the right thing by accepting the league's ruling and has gone out and hasn't shirked his responsibilities at all. Still I think there will need to be some major build reconstruction to mend that relationship enough for him to stick around in 2017 in any capacity.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

Unless he's a forgiving man Thorpe may have zero interest in returning to Montreal next year after that little charade back in December. I personally think Montreal was right to try blocking him leaving and Orridge was wise to put some protocols in place for how coaches under contract can move. I also think Thorpe has the right to still be bitter about it. He did the right thing by accepting the league's ruling and has gone out and hasn't shirked his responsibilities at all. Still I think there will need to be some major build reconstruction to mend that relationship enough for him to stick around in 2017 in any capacity. hambone
The Als may be thinking it would be wiser to let Chap be the interim coach for the rest of the season and then give the job to Thorpe next year....or maybe Chap or maybe Reed.

By naming Chapdelaine, the Als avoided choosing between defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe and special teams co-ordinator Kavis Reed for the remainder of this season. Thorpe, Reed, and Chapdelaine will all be given opportunities to vie for the HC job next season, according to the Als.

Andrew Wetenhall, the team governor and son of owner Bob Wetenhall, said that giving the job to Chapdelaine also allowed the team to concentrate on fixing an offence that has been held to fewer than 20 points in eight of 12 games this season without disrupting the defence or special teams, which have been working well.

Chap's experience makes him qualified. His past experience includes the OC at Bishops (1992, 1993-96) Special Teams and Receivers with Toronto for 3 seasons, (Toronto Argos), Special Team Coach and Receivers coach with Calgary, and offensive coordinator positions with Calgary, B. C. and Saskatchewan. He also served one season as Associate Head Coach/OC in Edmonton. He was also the Head Coach at Laval and SFU.

While one may question the quality of some of those experiences, Chap's resume also includes leading Laval to its first Vanier Cup and three Grey Cup wins, including two as an OC.

Scott Milanovich only had one gig as an offensive coordinator with the Als from 2007-2011 before getting the HC job in Toronto. Jason Maas only had one season as an OC in Ottawa before becoming the HC In Edmonton. Dave Dickenson had one experience as a OC from 2011 to 2015 with Calgary. Kent Austin had 3 years of OC experience in Toronto before becoming the HC in Saskatchewan. Mike O'Shea had one experience as the Special Teams coach in Toronto for 3 seasons before becoming the HC in Winnipeg.

I was not a fan of 'Chap Ball' in B.C. as our Leos OC from 2005-2006 and 2009-2010 but I generally really liked the offensive system he implemented in B.C. from 2011-2013.

Chap is saying that there will be changes, not only to the structure of the team but to the offence and that he has strong opinions on what is needed to get the offence moving.

According to the Montreal Gazette:
One of Chapdelaine's first tasks will be to restore order among his squabbling players.

Some players have openly questioned coaching and management decisions, like the one to trade veteran quarterback Kevin Glenn two weeks and to promote sophomore Rekeem Cato to the starting job. At a practice last week, Cato blew up at Duron Carter and Kenny Stafford because he felt he wasn't getting respect from the veteran receivers.

Chapdelaine said he will talk to the players concerned and put in structures that will foster discipline and unity and on the team.
I believe Chap will improve the Montreal offence with his proposed changes and that he will also bring in a better semblance of order. Cavillo needs some guidance. He was not ready for the OC job and that is not his fault.

Initially Cavillo welcomed the move to have Chap as his receivers coach and 'special advisor' even though some saw it at the time as a lack of confidence in the former star quarterback's ability to be a coordinator in only his second year of coaching.

But there have been whispers throughout the CFL, according to Herb Zurkowski, that Cavillo, a quarterback who sat alone on the bench during his playing days, was reluctant to receive input from Chapdelaine. With Chap stating that there are going to be changes to the offence in Montreal, that appears to have been the case or that the two did not see eye to eye and had different offensive philoosphies or strategies.

Hard to know how this will all work out for next season. Thorpe and Reed could be resentful but they also know that they need to coach well for the remainder of the season to have a shot at the HC job next year. Chap was the unanimous choice for the Interim Head Coach role so there will be an expectation from Popp and Wettenhaul that they support him for the remainder of the year.

It hasn't been a dull season in Montreal.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

An interesting article in the Montreal Gazette regarding Chapdelaine as Head Coach, including comments from players and advice from Wally Buono at the end of the article.
Alouettes Sing Praises of New Boss Jacques Chapdelaine
Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette

One of the central figures who might be among the most heavily scrutinized players now that the Alouettes have changed head coaches, said he has no problem with the promotion of Jacques Chapdelaine.

Of course, as the receivers coach, Chapdelaine has been working with Duron Carter on a daily basis since training camp.
“It starts at the top. He holds himself to a high standard. He holds the receivers to a high standard and I think that trickles down,” Carter said. “He’s a nice guy, but he also has moral values. He doesn’t take any bull from anybody. I think it’ll be a good fit.
“We need somebody that’s in touch with the players.”

Carter was fined by the Als this season after knocking down Ottawa head coach Rick Campbell during a game. He also has been involved in a pair of recent practice incidents that revolved around disagreements with quarterback Rakeem Cato and receiver Kenny Stafford. Cato, the central figure in this love — or hate — triangle shoved Carter, the Als’ leading receiver, last week.

On a Monday afternoon conference call, after it was announced he was replacing Jim Popp as Montreal’s head coach on an interim basis, Chapdelaine admitted one of his immediate mandates is to restore order to the hierarchy.

“We have to establish structure and the lines of communication and work structure that will help us reach greater efficiency and harmony,” Chapdelaine said. “A young quarterback with a certain amount of pressure on his shoulders, with a mix of other circumstances, has led to his emotional display that wasn’t desirable. We have to see how we can provide a better structure.”

The Als are on a bye week, but will return to practice this Sunday to begin preparing for their next game, Oct. 2, against Toronto. Chapdelaine, who will return to Montreal from his Abbotsford, B.C., home on Thursday, will meet his assistant coaches and expects to have individual meetings with certain players, at which point he’ll let them know his expectations.

“I have to explain very precisely what I expect from them,” he said. “They need to understand what the consequences would be should they fail to meet those expectations.” 

Chapdelaine hasn’t said whether he’ll begin calling the plays, supplanting inexperienced offensive coordinator Anthony Calvillo in that role, but admitted Cato will remain the starting quarterback. Chapdelaine has more than a decade of experience as a Canadian Football League OC, holding that position with four franchises. The Als, of course, have one of the league’s worst attacks, having been held to under 20 points in eight of 12 games.

Immediately after Chapdelaine’s hiring was announced, Carter tweeted a link to the story, accompanied by an emoji of a grinning face with smiling eyes.

“I think Jacques is a more than capable coach. I’m excited,” Carter said. “He’s an offensive mind. Him having more power will work out for us. I think he’s in a better position now to influence the offence. He just has a knack for calling plays. He knows exactly what to call. Him having that authority now, that will give us a dynamic that (other teams) aren’t ready for.”

Tailback Tyrell Sutton has taken a more cautious approach but believes, given Chapdelaine’s experience, the transition should be smooth and easy, although this marks his first job as a head coach at the pro level.

“We’re trying to figure out how to win. This is what happens when you’re losing. You try to find out what the best available options are. You try those options at all costs,” Sutton said. “He’s cool with everybody. The respect will be there.”

Centre Luc Brodeur-Jourdain said Chapdelaine has paid his dues and deserves an opportunity. More importantly, according to the veteran player, Chapdelaine has worked with a vast array of quarterbacks and should be able to develop Cato.

“Now he has the power to run a team the way he wants. I know he has a strong work ethic. He wants effort and discipline,” Brodeur-Jourdain said. “His vision of an offence is more than one-sided.”

Chapdelaine’s promotion came as a surprise. With two assistant head coaches on the staff, it was expected special-teams coordinator Kavis Reed, a former Edmonton head coach, would be next in line. But Reed, who couldn’t be reached for comment, was bypassed along with defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe.

Thorpe has been in contact with Chapdelaine and offered his congratulations. “These opportunities don’t come around too often. I’m appreciative of someone that gets the opportunity and supportive of them,” said Thorpe, a bridesmaid yet again in this process.
“I have a high level of respect for what Jacques has done in this league from an offensive standpoint.”

Wally Buono, the league’s career leader in coaching victories — Chapdelaine worked under him in both Calgary and British Columbia — said he must be true to himself as he launches his career.

“If the players want to turn the s— around, they’ll rally around him,” said Buono, the Lions’ general manager and head coach. “If I’m losing with you, I can lose without you. So what the hell do I need you for?

“I would bring those knuckleheads in and say you’re either with me or you’re not. At least get your message across.”

hzurkowsky@postmedia.com
twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1
maxlion
Legend

Blitz wrote:An interesting article in the Montreal Gazette regarding Chapdelaine as Head Coach, including comments from players and advice from Wally Buono at the end of the article.
Alouettes Sing Praises of New Boss Jacques Chapdelaine
Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette

Wally Buono, the league’s career leader in coaching victories — Chapdelaine worked under him in both Calgary and British Columbia — said he must be true to himself as he launches his career.

“If the players want to turn the s— around, they’ll rally around him,” said Buono, the Lions’ general manager and head coach. “If I’m losing with you, I can lose without you. So what the hell do I need you for?

“I would bring those knuckleheads in and say you’re either with me or you’re not. At least get your message across.”

hzurkowsky@postmedia.com
twitter.com/HerbZurkowsky1
i believe that the expression is "turn the ship around". Herb must've misheard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Carter is a problem. He is saying the right things about JC. But, based on his pattern of bad behaviour, one can hardly trust Carter to be a good influence on a team.

Calvillo could be another problem. Different, but a problem nonetheless. He might need to be replaced as playcaller. That won't sit well.

Thorpe sounds OK in his attitude towards the change of HC, and his attitude towards JC.

Reed? Unavailable for comment? Hmmmm

Go get 'em, Jacques. If you can make this thing work, you will demonstrate that you are more than ready for the HC job.

But, this is a difficult challenge.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Carter is a problem. He is saying the right things about JC. But, based on his pattern of bad behaviour, one can hardly trust Carter to be a good influence on a team.

Calvillo could be another problem. Different, but a problem nonetheless. He might need to be replaced as playcaller. That won't sit well.

Thorpe sounds OK in his attitude towards the change of HC, and his attitude towards JC.

Reed? Unavailable for comment? Hmmmm

Go get 'em, Jacques. If you can make this thing work, you will demonstrate that you are more than ready for the HC job.

But, this is a difficult challenge.
No question is a difficult challenge. Popp stepped down because it was a mess and knew he couldn't fix what he created.

Chap should take over the offence and call the plays for the rest of this season. But if he does, that will not go over well with Cavillo.

The coaching situation is potentially 'nitro' with the volatile Kavis Reed and the egocentricity and detachment of Cavillo, who still carries the superstar status of a Hall of Fame quarterback but doesn't have the skill set yet to be an offensive coordinator. Only Thorpe has it together, of those three.

Popp's blow up at his players earlier this season went down badly. There was a sideline incident involving Stafford and Popp.

Cavillo and Reed both see themselves as the future Head Coach. Thorpe wanted it but has taken the high road.

Then there are the players. There is the emotional Cato, upset that he is not being supported by teammates. There is the volatile Carter, who is unpredictable, as well as unpopular in the room and criticizing the offence publically. There is Kenny Safford and Carter having multiple altercations with Kato at practice and not showing respect.

There have been Nik Lewis public comments about not being thrown to and his upset about Glenn being benched and then his upset about Glenn being traded.

There have been tweets all season from players and fines.

Leadership can be situational. I think Chap was the best choice at this time in Montreal. Reed is too emotional. Cavillo not ready by a long shot. Thorpe would have been a good choice but this team needs a firmer hand right now. Chap watched Wally for years and has a blue print from those experiences. Chap could be undermined by Reed with players or be facing a unhappy Cavillo but he will need to determine what is needed and just do it.

Next year, they will have to move some coaches out of there and build a new coaching staff with whomever is the HC.
maxlion
Legend

Chap should have a positive effect on the offense, and that might be enough to keep the wolves at bay for the last stretch of the season, even if the wins don't come.

I always got the sense that he just rubbed folks the wrong way, lacked the charisma to motivate and lead. And, truth be told, his record as an OC is not spectacular either. He's had some good years, but I wasn't sorry to see him go. Maybe it's his time now.

I doubt that Thorpe or Reed are bent out of shape over this. Calvillo maybe, because he put his authority on the line and lost, but I have a feeling that coaching may not be for him long term anyways. Chap's appointment is just a situational thing where Chap fit the bill perfectly as an interim guy. No guarantees for next year, even for Popp.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

when all is said and done, I still want them to lose the rest of their games. Glad glenn is free from them. wish nik was not there either.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:when all is said and done, I still want them to lose the rest of their games. Glad glenn is free from them. wish nik was not there either.
And the Riders go on an extended winning streak.