Leos sign FA receiver Terrell Sinkfield

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sinkfield won't last long if he has an attitude problem. Wally won't put up with that nonsense.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:This fan is very happy with this signing. He must have been somewhat expensive.
I'm thinking Wally may have stepped outside his normal modus operandi. Typically he'd want a guy on a 2 year deal (old 1 + 1) so he has him beyond the current season. He might've gotten a bit of a discount for a 1 year deal that would allow Sinkfield to take another NFL crack next year.
Yep.

Re Boldewijn ... How often do projects become bona fide pros? It is the instincts that take time to develop. Subtle survival skills. Wisdom. Muscle memory. We will see who starts this week. If the Lions are super high on Boldewijn, it might be him. The signing of Sinkfield, for good dollars, with his experience, leads me to think he would be favoured to start.

Arceneaux, Burnham, Gore, Sinkfield. Yikes. Yikes.

Hope his attitude is good. Getting real life feedback from Austin for indiscretions or attitude has to help. Re Austin ... Like him or not, his players buy in, or they hit the road. Prima donna don't cut it. IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Sinkfield won't last long if he has an attitude problem. Wally won't put up with that nonsense.
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2016/09/ ... field.html
"A weapon like myself, you wouldn't really want to have it on the bench," he said. "When you've got a weapon, you want to use it."

That quote shows a lot of confidence, not unlike Arland Bruce III. I guess Wally thinks he'll get what he needs at least in the short term. The same article says Courtney Taylor was released, so that long running experiment appears to be over.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Mike Beamish, Sinkfield took first-team reps on Monday and Wally wants him to start on Friday.
“If he picks up enough, and we’re comfortable enough, then we’ve got to make a decision on who plays Friday night,” Buono said. “Now, we can throw the deep balls. We also have a guy (Sinkfield) … who can do something when you put the ball in his hands. If I was to compare him to anybody, it would be Chris Rainey. He’s got that type of speed. And he’s got that kind of explosion.”
Mike Beamish: Lions tap into new speedy receiver Sinkfield
Blitz
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Sinkfield won't last long if he has an attitude problem. Wally won't put up with that nonsense.
http://www.metronews.ca/sports/2016/09/ ... field.html
"A weapon like myself, you wouldn't really want to have it on the bench," he said. "When you've got a weapon, you want to use it."

That quote shows a lot of confidence, not unlike Arland Bruce III. I guess Wally thinks he'll get what he needs at least in the short term. The same article says Courtney Taylor was released, so that long running experiment appears to be over.
I don't mind a player who has confidence, as long as its not overconfidence. Some players are also not media savvy in terms of what they say while others are very good at optics. Some of the most conceited players can play the 'gee shucks I'm just honored to get the chance, and I'm so humble and modest' role but that is not who they really are.

What I like about Sinkfield is that he didn't play in a passing offence in college and got 1,000 yds plus in 15 games in only his first full season as a CFL receiver. To me, that means he still has upside, in terms of running pass patterns, reading defenses, etc. He practiced scout team defense in Hamilton and learned from the process of seeing things from a defensive perspective.

He started as a running back and likes to run back punts and kicks and says he would love to play defensive back too. He sounds like he really likes playing football.

He did his research before signing with the Lions and that would mean he knew Wally is 'no nonsense' before deciding to come to B.C.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

I recall asking Simmons what his fastest forty was, he told 4.19. If Sinkfield has that type of speed, he is exactly what Jennings needs to show off that arm and open the underneath stuff for Burnham (who is the best receiver the Lions have had since Mervyn Fernandez) and company.

The Eskimo and Lions game is one that will go a long way as to who hosts a playoff game. Inserting weapons at this point of the season is huge. Looking forward to this addition.
Entertainment value = an all time low
green road kill
Rookie

Doesn't sound like a player with a tude. He had a chance to go back to Hamilton on friday, before signing a contract with the Leo's. But signed here becouse this is where he wanted to play. It says alot about Walley and the type of team he's built.
There are two things to remember about the signning of Sink.

1 You never look a gift horse in the mouth

2 Speed kills

PS
Please get well soon Ryhan
CardiacKid
Legend

The guy definitely has good size and excellent speed; just maybe not typically in 4.19 range that is attributed to him. An NFL scout was quoted as being doubtful of the time and thinking the keeper of the stopwatch may have had an itchy trigger finger. Case in point, that 4.19 would beat have beaten the NCAA 100 meter champ who went on to be a kick returner with the Broncos.

But the guy can definitely play. I very much remember being surprised when he was released by Toronto; his play on the field at the time was first-rate.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:This fan is very happy with this signing. He must have been somewhat expensive.
I'm thinking Wally may have stepped outside his normal modus operandi. Typically he'd want a guy on a 2 year deal (old 1 + 1) so he has him beyond the current season. He might've gotten a bit of a discount for a 1 year deal that would allow Sinkfield to take another NFL crack next year.
This season has been so different than in the past. Buono signed so many free agents in the off-season and now beats out Hamilton and others for Sinkfield.

Whether it was more pressure to get things turned around in B.C. or Wally returning to the sidelines or a loosening of the purse strings or all of those, its been different
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

green road kill wrote:Doesn't sound like a player with a tude. He had a chance to go back to Hamilton on friday, before signing a contract with the Leo's. But signed here becouse this is where he wanted to play. It says alot about Walley and the type of team he's built.
There are two things to remember about the signning of Sink.

1 You never look a gift horse in the mouth

2 Speed kills

PS
Please get well soon Ryhan

Who is Ryhan and what is his ailment?

I hope Sinkfield gets to play on Friday. With his speed he doesn't need to know all of the playbook, just run a go route and have Jennings throw it up and Sinkfield run under it. Lions should have a package where they put Sinkfield in at one WR and Rainy at the other and both go deep...the FS won't be able to help out with coverage on both speedsters. Both out there on punt and kick returns creates a coverage problem for the opposition as well.
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:This season has been so different than in the past. Buono signed so many free agents in the off-season and now beats out Hamilton and others for Sinkfield.
Yea, seems like Wally is finally listening to the needs of his Head Coach. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DJeffery
Rookie

David wrote: I also wonder... whether this type of receiver has been something he's been looking at for some time? DH :cool:
Yeah, remember Damaris Johnson, he only lasted 18 days, but that was the reason for his signing, backup for Rainey's speed and return abilities.
Blitz wrote:
maxlion wrote:Our Leos have also signed Kelvin Palmer, a 6'4", 290 pound defensive tackle for a look see. Brooks has been quiet lately and this may push him.
This is a return. He was allowed to go to Tampa Bay's camp likely on the understanding he'd return here if cut. I think the Bucs had legitimate interest at the time, i.e., he wasn't just a training camp body. This kind of behaviour will encourage better athletes to sign here knowing they'll be treated fairly. He's a Tackle though, so not likely to push Brooks.

Mike Beamish at the time wrote: "...the Tampa Bay Buccaneers plucked...offensive tackle Kelvin Palmer, from B.C.'s practice roster on Monday.

"That tells us we're recruiting good football players," said Neil McEvoy, the Lions' director of player personnel."

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... f350932aee
Last edited by DJeffery on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Travis Lulay must be licking his chops to get some game action (aside from the 2 pt. conversion and holding the ball on field goals). Lulay he of the one who often overthrows his receivers on deep patterns.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Blitz wrote:This season has been so different than in the past. Buono signed so many free agents in the off-season and now beats out Hamilton and others for Sinkfield.
Yea, seems like Wally is finally listening to the needs of his Head Coach. :wink:

DH :cool:
While over in Montreal, Popp listened to the needs of his HC and then over spent. :juggle:
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Travis Lulay must be licking his chops to get some game action (aside from the 2 pt. conversion and holding the ball on field goals). Lulay he of the one who often overthrows his receivers on deep patterns.
I still don't like putting in a cold quarterback for the two point convert, after the starting quarterback has led the offence for a drive for a game opening touchdown. The two points are too important. We have a much better chance of being successful with Jennings running the first two 2 point convert plays of the game.

But if we are determined to put Lulay in there for the first two converts, and we use him to pass the football, it would be wiser to line up Lumbala as a tight end, come off play action, and then semi-boot Lulay out on a pass/run option, with the ability to throw to the back or Lumbala if his other receivers are not open.

Lulay is good on quarterback sneaks. If we want to get Lulay some game action, it would be better to give him some end of game action, when those opportunities arrive.

I realize that the 2 point convert attempts make Lulay feel that he is more part of the team but it could hurt us. We're 8/16 on the two point converts, so it hasn't hurt us at all so far but it hasn't been a big bonus either and most of our success on them has come from running plays.