This is kind of scary. CFLPA applies for WCB coverage in AB.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

http://www.tsn.ca/cflpa-submits-applica ... a-1.553968

That could be one extremely steep and slippery slope.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cflpa-submits-applica ... a-1.553968

Ohhhh ... yeah.

Some people enter professions with huge health and life risks. That is one side of it.

On the other side, are they not entitled to adequate coverage for injuries and post career disability?

Concussions have to be a key part of the conversation.

Just IMO.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
pennw
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Ohhhh ... yeah.

Some people enter professions with huge health and life risks. That is one side of it.

On the other side, are they not entitled to adequate coverage for injuries and post career disability?

Just IMO.
Do you think WCB would not make few changes to the game if they got involved ? The entire game would not pass WCB standards . For starters there would be no more hitting allowed or any other actions that could cause injury.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Ohhhh ... yeah.

Just IMO.
Do you think WCB would not make few changes to the game if they got involved ? The entire game would not pass WCB standards . For starters there would be no more hitting allowed or any other actions that could cause injury.
Yes. That is on the face of it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ctfl, here we come.....
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rodu
Champion

pennw wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Ohhhh ... yeah.

Just IMO.
Goodbye contact football, hello flag football. Or league dies, players loose jobs, NFL aspirations down the drain. No winners here
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote: Ohhhh ... yeah.

Just IMO.
The concept of coverage for job-related injuries and disabilities I have no issue with. It's the potential for work safety organizations to play a role in shaping how the sport is played. As a defacto insurance company an objective of WCB or WorksafeBC is to ensure that they don't pay out any more than they absolutely have to. One of the ways they achieve that is by removing hazards and eliminating unsafe practices that lead to those same injuries and disabilities. Just about everything that happens between the white lines on the gridiron would be considered an unsafe practice in a normal workplace.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: Ohhhh ... yeah.

Just IMO.
The concept of coverage for job-related injuries and disabilities I have no issue with. It's the potential for work safety organizations to play a role in shaping how the sport is played. As a defacto insurance company an objective of WCB or WorksafeBC is to ensure that they don't pay out any more than they absolutely have to. One of the ways they achieve that is by removing hazards and eliminating unsafe practices that lead to those same injuries and disabilities. Just about everything that happens between the white lines on the gridiron would be considered an unsafe practice in a normal workplace.
The league might continue, looking pretty much as it looks today. But it might mean that players sign waivers. And they perform without "normal" work insurance.

Broken knees and ankles, et cetera, from football are something one expects, as a risk of playing professional football. But the big issue will be how damage from concussions is addressed. That is an issue that could bring down the league, through lawsuits, no matter what agreements are in place regarding insurance coverage.

jcalhoun
Starter

I think the WCB could lead to interesting changes in equipment, rules about care due to players during the season, scheduling (ie, must be x number of days between games), etc. I can't see them being a bad influence on the game. Football is dangerous, of course, but it's not dangerous in the way that mining or forestry are. Dangers of long-term exposure in the workplace? Try working in a fiberglass plant. Asbestos exposure. WCB isn't going to start tampering with the game to take out tackling, just like they aren't going to mandate chainsaws out of forestry.

But what we might see is guys who suffer catastrophic career-ending and life-altering injuries offered lifetime care. Like James Bell.

WCB --I'm all for it.

Cheers,

James
pennw
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:I think the WCB could lead to interesting changes in equipment, rules about care due to players during the season, scheduling (ie, must be x number of days between games), etc. I can't see them being a bad influence on the game. Football is dangerous, of course, but it's not dangerous in the way that mining or forestry are. Dangers of long-term exposure in the workplace? Try working in a fiberglass plant. Asbestos exposure. WCB isn't going to start tampering with the game to take out tackling, just like they aren't going to mandate chainsaws out of forestry.

But what we might see is guys who suffer catastrophic career-ending and life-altering injuries offered lifetime care. Like James Bell.

WCB --I'm all for it.

Cheers,

James
I would have to respectfully disagree JC. I work in the forest industry and on a routine basis would have to say football is far rougher and more dangerous . While there is potential for a more catastrophic injury , they are few and far in between these days . I'm a tradesmen where I work and everything is considered now with lock-out procedures in place for everything . It's simply not like the old days anymore . The vast majority of injuries are minor things like repetitive strain or small cuts or slivers or a black nail . Broken bones are fairly rare and I can't recall the last time some one has had something like torn ligaments. Lots of stuff too is guys getting old and hurting themselves because they can't do what they once could . Technically you are not supposed to lift more than 50 lbs by yourself anymore .
We do have Worksafe inspectors come around every so often , and sorry to say this , but most of them have no idea what they are looking at , having never actually worked in the field themselves to know what is involved in many of the places they inspect . When they come through everyone knows it lets them look and it's quite some thing to see what they miss . It is said in the work place to leave something obvious out for them to find so they feel good about themselves and they move on and we continue to look after our selves like we always do . We actually don't like it getting hurt so we keep it safe , far better than some young inexperienced college grad could do for us . The idea that work safe inspectors are experts at anything is naive IMO . Where Worksafe is good is that they do not allow unscrupulous employers do things as in the past and hold companies accountable when something bad happens , so companies these days take it upon themselves to make things safe because the cost of an injury is now very high for any employer .
So if they got involved in the CFL it is IMO naive to think they could somehow make the game any safer with out drastically changing the game so that it is not football anymore . As stated above pretty much everything that happens between the white lines would fail a Worksafe inspection . Well maybe not the huddle , but other than that ya , it would be illegal . I don't even think touch football would pass . Any time there is an injury they would ask , how did it happen? Oh , you pulled a hamstring running too fast ? Okay so here is the new rule for you , no more running faster than a slow jog , but only with some warm up walking first and then a gradual easing into a slightly faster gait . So you should have no more problem with such an injury . I just do not see WCB and pro-sports as compatible .