Banners on Robson, Cambie Bridge and Viaduct

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dawg3648
Rookie

Last month Lions had their banners up down Robson from Burrard to BC Place. Noticed yesterday it was now Caps down Robson as well as Cambie Bridge. Lions had theirs on the Viaduct. Does anyone know who chooses the location of the banners and how long they go up for? I know the Caps had their banners up, and theirs alone, for months as their season started earlier. Do the franchises have to pay for this? Or is it Moonbeam and his Merry Men making the call? Cheers!
Qman
Champion

dawg3648 wrote:Last month Lions had their banners up down Robson from Burrard to BC Place. Noticed yesterday it was now Caps down Robson as well as Cambie Bridge. Lions had theirs on the Viaduct. Does anyone know who chooses the location of the banners and how long they go up for? I know the Caps had their banners up, and theirs alone, for months as their season started earlier. Do the franchises have to pay for this? Or is it Moonbeam and his Merry Men making the call? Cheers!
they are the banners of the promoter of a friendly vs crystal palace international challenge cup or something --- it not a caps event, they were paid to play in it.

i think u pay the city for those banners
dawg3648
Rookie

Didn't mean those ones on Granville Q. I am talking about the ones on Robson from Burrard to BC Place, Cambie Bridge and the Viaduct. Do you know if the individual teams have to pay for them or is it the city that makes the call?
Alputt
Champion

The Lions still have the banners on Robson Street last I noticed, it is my 'hood so I walk there nearly every day... Definitely on Cambie bridge it is Whitecaps, not the Crystal palace game, just general Whitecaps. On the viaduct they still fly Lions, however the sun has made the black background fade to brown, perhaps not the desired effect. Looks like a quarterback club badge from the 60's!

I have no idea how the banners work with the city, however I have noticed more Lions banners and ads on skytrain etc. than the last few years so they are putting some money in to it. Hopefully we can break 25,000 in the stands vs Calgary!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

dawg3648 wrote:Didn't mean those ones on Granville Q. I am talking about the ones on Robson from Burrard to BC Place, Cambie Bridge and the Viaduct. Do you know if the individual teams have to pay for them or is it the city that makes the call?
It's a user-pay system, as with bus-shelter advertising. From the city website:
The user group is responsible for all costs associated with the banner project. These include banner production, installation and subsequent removal. They are also responsible for any maintenance costs. Production costs vary depending on quantity and design.
Link and maps of banner locations
dawg3648
Rookie

Thanks for the info BCF. And Alputt, Robson St. changed to all Whitecaps banners about 2 weeks ago.