Welcome back Courtney Taylor!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Added to our PR today!
Roar you Lions roar!
squishy35
Legend

I am glad to see this. Taylor is a clutch guy that will be needed if another receiver is injured.
South Pender
Legend

Is this an indicator of some disappointment in Geraldo Boldewijn?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I like C. Taylor and have two Lions jerseys with his (and my) name on them.

As South Pender says there might be some disappointment with Boldewijn. He is a bit of a project (late to starting to play football I think) and his route running may need work. Even if Wally is happy with Boldewijn, having a vet like Taylor around who knows the CFL game could be more useful than any soon to be released NFL player.

Now that I think about it NFL cuts are a month or more away and most of those guys spend a half season on the CFL PR when it expands, then go through a training camp the following spring and then they are able to make a contribution. Taylor could be contributing right away if need be. :thup:
Blitz
Team Captain

I was a huge fan of Courtney Taylor, as I was of Ernest Jackson and Nick Moore, when all three were on the practice roster awaiting their opportunity. All three would go on to prove they could play and play well.

But as much as I liked Courtney Taylor when he suited up for our Leos I'm not so sure I like this move. Obviously, Wally wants experienced depth at the receiver position, should one of our International receivers get hurt.

But Taylor is past his best due date as a receiver, as much as I am happy for him for his opportunity. We have International Damaris Johnson on the practice roster as well as Nationals Shaq Johnson and Brett Blasco, as well as Adekelo on the game roster.

Damaris Johnson has been a starting NFL receiver who was very effective for the Titans. Damaris caught 52 passes in the NFL, for 601 yards and an impressive 13.7 yds. per catch. He is blazing fast and we could utilize him in numerous ways : eg: deep balls, crossing routes, bubble screens, fly sweeps, an occasional punt return, if we needed him to go into the lineup.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Just a heads up that Damaris Johnson was signed away from our practice roster by Tampa Bay Bucs. (I'm guessing that's why they picked up C Taylor).
Blitz
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:Just a heads up that Damaris Johnson was signed away from our practice roster by Tampa Bay Bucs. (I'm guessing that's why they picked up C Taylor).
Thanks Gridiron Ernie for letting Lionbackers know.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
maxlion
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Gridiron Ernie wrote:Just a heads up that Damaris Johnson was signed away from our practice roster by Tampa Bay Bucs. (I'm guessing that's why they picked up C Taylor).
Thanks Gridiron Ernie for letting Lionbackers know.
Lions ' twitter actually states that it was another practice roster player, Kelvin Palmer, whom the Bucs signed. Johnson was simply released, no reason given. I have never heard of Kelvin Palmer, but I guess it is a testament to our depth when NFL teams are plucking guys I've never heard of off our PR. :cool:

As for Taylor, I always liked him. He seems like a real leader as well as very dependable receiver. I suspect that he may be able to contribute more than Boldewijn in the short term, though I do hope we get to see more of the latter to see what he can do. Keep Taylor as insurance for the palyoff run.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Wally likes his veteran back ups and why not? With a 18 game season plus TC the younger guys who are starting are less likely to be worn out come playoffs. If the starter gets injured it is great to have a vet come in and finish a season or a few games or whatever.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Never heard of Kelvin Palmer either. That's one of the problem with the Lions. Roster moves seems to be a closely guarded secret. How can they expect fans to follow the team when everything seem to be hush hush ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Never heard of Kelvin Palmer either. That's one of the problem with the Lions. Roster moves seems to be a closely guarded secret. How can they expect fans to follow the team when everything seem to be hush hush ?
http://www.bclions.com/roster/

is the practice squad list at the bottom not complete??

all needed info seems to be here

http://www.bclions.com/transactions/
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Sorry about that fellows -- I misread that -- they had the two players' names on the same line and I didn't pay close enough attention to the punctuation. btw, you can get this info if you go to the Leo's website and at the "Team" drop-down menu (in which they list Roster, and Coaching Staff, etc.) choose "Transactions" where you can see that this player who the Bucs signed was initially signed and assigned to the PR by the Leo's in late July. Hope I got things right this time. Cheers! (Oh, and I might add, they don't necessarily keep it updated in a strict and timely manner, but they seem to be pulling their socks up about that a bit, at least IMO.)
Blitz
Team Captain

I still don't understand why we would drop Damaris Johnson.

He could play receiver with NFL calbibre credentials, he could play punt/kick returner, and he also could play tailback. He was very versatile. Courtney Taylor is a 32 year old receiver who we didn't sign for this season. Now we have no back up International returner if Rainey gets hurt.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I still don't understand why we would drop Damaris Johnson.

He could play receiver with NFL calbibre credentials, he could play punt/kick returner, and he also could play tailback. He was very versatile. Courtney Taylor is a 32 year old receiver who we didn't sign for this season. Now we have no back up International returner if Rainey gets hurt.

Blitz, I believe you have just identified the Lions biggest weakness. So :cr: Rainy stays healthy.
DJeffery
Rookie

Blitz wrote: Now we have no back up International returner if Rainey gets hurt.
That's the reason he was signed.

He must have been a distraction or unhappy with CFL practice roster money to be cut after 2.5 weeks.