Leos at Home to Tabbies

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Grainy, black and white images of decades old football may float through the minds of long time Leo fans as our Leos prepare for the Hamilton Tiger Cats on Saturday night. Those images would include Willie Fleming lying prone, just inside the sideline, and Angelo Mosca flying over him. Fleming was knocked out the game and our Leos lost the 1963 Grey Cup to the men from Steel Town.

There would also be images of a determined Joe Kapp lining up under center one year later in the '64 Grey Cup game, of Willie Fleming, the greatest Leo ever, scoring an early touchdown, and Peter Ohler turning a bothched field goal attempt into a touchdown pass to Peter Ohler. They would remember watching Bill Muncie racing to the end zone, scoring the first of his two touchdowns on the day, one on offence and one on defence. They would also see middle linebacker Tom Brown's face etched with the magnitute of the day, as the Head Hunters defended Hamilton's dangerous offence, led by NFL first round draft choice Bernie Faloney. The final gun would signal the end of the hard fought contest and Norm Fieldgage would hold our B.C. Lions first ever Grey Cup trophy high above his head.

The players who played the game in those days had a warrior mentality. The opposite team was the enemy and there was no fraternizing on the playing field with the opposition after a game. Decades later, for Joe Kapp, there was still no love lost for Angelo Mosca.

The modern game of CFL football is different now. Rivalries have much less intensity. But, for some reason, when our Leos play the Tiger Cats, it feels like a different matchup than when we play any other Eastern team. Perhaps its because the city of Hamilton embodies toughness and a blue collar work ethic. Or perhaps the legend of these two teams in the 60's still resonates.

In 1964 it was Dave Scrien vs. Ralph Sazio. In 2016 its Wally Buono vs. Kent Austin and both have the ability to get their teams to play high calibre football. Joe Kapp and Bernie Faloney were gunslingers in their day and Jonathan Jennings and Zack Collaras have the same mentality. John Chick and Ted Laurent anchor a Hamilton defensive line in the same way that John Barrow and Angelo Mosca did it back in the 60's. Solomin Eliminian and Adam Bighill lead a linebacking unit for B.C. with the same aggression as Norm Fieldgate and Tom Brown roamed sideline to sideline.

For this matchup we have two teams that can sack the quarterback. Both offences like to use all of their receivers in the passing attack. Both our Leos and Hamilton have punt returners who can fly and take one to the house.

Lets have a closer look at the warriors who will play in Saturday night's contest:

OFFENCE

Our Leos offence will be facing a Hamilton defense that can get pressure on the quarterback and create turnovers. Defensive coordinator Orlando Steinauer's Tiger Cats defense is led on the playing field by linebacker Simoni Lawrence. Up front the Tiger Cats have defensive end John Chick and defensive tackle Ted Luarent playing side by side and they can create a lot of problems for an offence.

Hamilton's Courtenay Stephen is a very talented, hard hitting National free safety who leads the CFL in forced fumbles.

The Tiger Cats defense leads the CFL in quarterback sacks (22 sacks) tied with our B.C. Lions. John Chick and Ted Laurent are tied for second in the CFL in quarterback sacks, 301 pound Hamilton defensive tackle Drake Nevis has 3 sacks, while Simoni Lawrence, blitzing from his linebacker spot, also has 3 sacks on the season. Its a very tough, talented Hamilton defensive line.

Our B.C. Lions will again be led by sophmomre quarterback Jonathan Jennings, who is coming off his third impressive passing performance in a row. Jennings has thrown for well over 300 yards in his last three games. Jennings continues to improve statistically. He had his best passing percentage game against Montreal, completing 27 of 32 passes. His season completion rate is now 64.5% and his quarterback efficiency has climbed to 97.1.

Bryan Burnham is becoming his favorite target, Shawn Gore continues his successful play at wide side receiver, and Manny Arsenault continues to make big receptions. Boldewijn, playing his third game, is a big target at slot back. Burnham is our leading receiver and has climbed to 9th in CFL receiving yards. Shawn Gore is 10th in CFL receiving yards and Arsenault is 12th.

Jeremiah Johnson will play his 4th game at tailback. Both he and Anthony Allen have 194 yards of rushing each. Johnson carried the football 15 times for 74 yards in our last victory and also caught two receptions for 40 yards. Chris Rainey was used more ofen in our offence, as both a tailback and receiver.

Our Leos have dropped to 3rd in the CFL in rushing yards. Running the football was important to most of our early season offensive success and needs to be an integral part of our offence.

Quarterback protection and the ability to open holes for the running game will be the key to our offence agaisnt the Tiger Cats. Our Leos rank 3rd in the CFL, in terms of protecting the quarterback from sacks. But this game will be the toughest challenge yet, this season, for our offensive line.

DEFENCE

The Tiger Cats have been missing their best player for a long tme now. Zack Collaras will get his first start of the 2016 season. He is a leader. He is poised, he has an accurate arm, and he inspires. Hamilton's offence will be much tougher to play with Collaras back in the lineup.Before Collaras got hurt last season he was the CFL's leading quarterback in terms of quarterback efficiency with an impressive 113.7 rating. He was completing 70.2% of his passes.

Collaros hasn't played since tearing the ACL in his right knee in a game against the Edmonton Eskimos on Sept. 19, 2015. At the time, the Ticats were 8-3 and Collaros was the top candidate for the Canadian Football League's outstanding player award, leading the league in passing yards (3,376) and touchdowns (25).

Collaras also has some impressive receivers to throw to. Luke Tasker has 403 yards in passing receptions and Andy Fantuz is close behind with 403 yds. Chad Owens gives Hamilton three receivers in the CFL Top 20. Brandon Banks can also be brought into the game to give Hamilton another weapon.

Hamilton is a pass oriented offence. The Tabbies are last in rushing the football in the CFL but C.J. Gable is an effective running back who can't be ignored in their attack. He averages 4.6 yards per carry.

Our Leos have given up the least amount of points in the CFL. Our Leos defensive line will be led by Alex Bazzie who leads the league leading in quarterack sacks. Mic'hael Brooks will be back in the lineup at tackle and he is very difficult to block one one on one. The play of Westerman has also been coming on in recent outings. With an injury depleted defensive line, we still sacked Kevin Glenn 6 times in our last contest.

Getting pressure on Collarus will be important. Hamilton has given up 17 sacks so far, third most in the league. Collarus is a quick read quarterback but pressure will still be important to defending Hamilton's diversified passing attack.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Both our Leos and Hamilton have return men who can take it to the house. Brandon Banks is a very dangerous punt and kick returner who has an 86 yd. touchdown return. Rainey has returned two punts for touchdowns this season, including a 95 yd. return. Give either open space and they can turn on the jets.

Hamilton's Brett Maher is punting the hell out of the football with a 49.9 average per punt. Leone is averaging 47.1 yds. per punt.

WRAP

Our Leos are 4-2 and back at home after 3 games on the road, during which time we established that we are a tough road team this season. We lost our last home game to Toroto and need to establish our identity as a tough home team to play against. Hamilton is 3-3 with their starting quarterback Zack Collarus back in the lineup and they will be excited to have him back at the controls. He changes the complexion of this game. Both squads need a victory to be in the hunt for first place in their respective divisions.

Go Leos!! :roar: :roar: :roar:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great, detailed preview, Blitz.

Not sure what to expect from the TiCats. Austin's group seems to be up and down this year. Getting Collaros back will no doubt help them long term, maybe even this game.

It is kind of amazing the transformation in our Lions. Mark Washington has hit his stride. Aggressive, attackkng, varied defence. Jonathon Jennings can make Khari's offence hum. It seems to this fan that the "Lions share" of the credit must go to Wally. The old fox has adapted, after years of success rolling out pretty much the same stuff, over and over. Can't fault that when the results are first rate. Don't change what works. But since 2011, his methods were bringing diminishing returns. Xs and Os have evolved. Bringing in a number of proven free agents is something new for Wally. Wally must be enjoying the exciting defence that Mark W's group plays. It is miles from the very conservative line 'em up, no tricks zone that we saw for years. They bring the heat, strategically, and physically.

We will see how this game goes. Hamilton has been difficult for us over the years.

* Run the ball enough.

* Protect Jennings.

* Pressure Collaros.

* Do not let STs decide the game against us.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
caobax
Rookie

Spoke with a 'hoarse' Leo today who told me that great home teams take advantage of performing arts shows or radio raffles. This Leos organs appeared to sound constanly high pitch or congested following a road trip. Nevertheless, Laurie explained to me more about that half time infield presentation. I then said, Laurie, how sew? I later received a text message saying these clubs with plush home records permit their Gatorade crew and staff to study or enjoy half time events while the referees directs the away team back on the football arena...
Last edited by caobax on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
South Pender
Legend

Great trip down memory lane, Blitz. And I agree with your assessment of Willie Fleming as the greatest Leo of all time--career 7.06 yds. per carry average, along with a ton of passing yards too. Mr. Excitement in every game he played.

And speaking of excitement, I'd like to see the Lions use Chris Rainey more in the offense. Physically, he's a clone of Willie Fleming--same size and with similar great speed.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There would also be images of a determined Joe Kapp lining up under center one year later in the '64 Grey Cup game, of Willie Fleming, the greatest Leo ever, scoring an early touchdown, and Peter Ohler turning a bothched field goal attempt into a touchdown pass to Peter Ohler
Actually it was Pete Ohler passing to Jim Carphin
CardiacKid
Legend

I was brought up at my momma's knee to know that Willie Fleming was the greatest and could have been even greater if not for that "son of a bi*ch, Angelo Mosca"!
The Tabbies are truly running hot and cold. Which of their multiple forms will show up? Collaros should elevate their game, even with the rust. But will he force things? Can the Leo's pressure him into making bad decisions as attempts to process what is happening at game speed?

The TiCats lost their games to the Bombers due in large part to turnovers. I know it's cliche but if the Leo's protect the ball and win the turnover battle, a modicum of revenge for Willy Fleming will be extracted!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

caobax wrote:Spoke with a 'hoarse' Leo today who told me that great home teams take advantage of performing arts shows or radio raffles. This Leos organs appeared to sound constanly high pitch or congested following a road trip. Nevertheless, Laurie explained to me more about that half time infield presentation. I then said, Laurie, how sew? I later received a text message saying these clubs with plush home records permit their Gatorade crew and staff to study or enjoy half time events while the referees directs the away team back on the football arena...

Is there anyone on Lionbackers that can translate the above paragraph for me because I don't understand a single sentence written above. :dizzy: :dizzy:
Blitz
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:I was brought up at my momma's knee to know that Willie Fleming was the greatest and could have been even greater if not for that "son of a
bi*ch, Angelo Mosca"!
The Tabbies are truly running hot and cold. Which of their multiple forms will show up? Collaros should elevate their game, even with the rust. But will he force things? Can the Leo's pressure him into making bad decisions as attempts to process what is happening at game speed?

The TiCats lost their games to the Bombers due in large part to turnovers. I know it's cliche but if the Leo's protect the ball and win the turnover battle, a modicum of revenge for Willy Fleming will be extracted!
:wink:

Angelo Mosca is a CFL Hall of Famer who played in a record 9 Grey Cups, (tied for the most Grey Cup appearances) and has 5 Grey Cup rings. He was a very big, tough, tenacious defensive tackle but he was not considered a dirty player (except our here on the West Coast). Mosca won five East All-Stars as a defensive tackle, one with Ottawa in 1960 and four with Hamilton (1963, 1965, 1966 and 1970) and two CFL All-Stars (1963 and 1970).

Mosca was twice named the Outstanding Lineman in the East and was twice the runner-up for the Most Outstanding Lineman in the CFL. Mosca also did a lot of community and charity work in Hamilton. He was very popular in Hamilton and still is. Mosca and Bernie Faloney are the only two Tiger Cats to ever have their jersey retired.

Craig Roh, Mike Edem, and Brandon Stewart are ready to go for Saturday night but Brooks may not be able to play. No word on Menard yet.

To me, Brooks is the most important player on our defense.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
caobax wrote:Spoke with a 'hoarse' Leo today who told me that great home teams take advantage of performing arts shows or radio raffles. This Leos organs appeared to sound constanly high pitch or congested following a road trip. Nevertheless, Laurie explained to me more about that half time infield presentation. I then said, Laurie, how sew? I later received a text message saying these clubs with plush home records permit their Gatorade crew and staff to study or enjoy half time events while the referees directs the away team back on the football arena...

Is there anyone on Lionbackers that can translate the above paragraph for me because I don't understand a single sentence written above. :dizzy: :dizzy:
Must be a speech writer for Donald Trump. None of it makes any logical sense.
Blitz
Team Captain

Well, I'm hoping 'The Return' will not turn out as good as anticipated for Tiger Cat fans when they play our Leos on Saturday night.

There's a photo illustration making its way around social media the last couple of days: it's the face of Hamilton Tiger-Cat quarterback Zach Collaros juxtaposed over the body of Jesus. It's labelled "The Return."

No pressure, kid.

Collaros was officially named the starter for Saturday's game against the B.C. Lions on Tuesday, head coach Kent Austin finally giving his, um, blessing for the 27-year-old to play his first game since suffering a torn ACL on Sept. 19, 2015.

Hamilton Spectator
Blitz
Team Captain

Looks like Menard is back practicing as well so its only Brooks, so far, that is not ready to return to the starting lineup at this point.

However, of all the players who were injured, he is the most important one that we need. Guess we'll find out more as the week progresses regarding Brooks status.
Blitz
Team Captain

The biggest question going into our game on Saturday night against Hamilton is 'How much of a difference will Zach Collarus make?

This is a game in which our defense is going to need to play very well.

CFL.ca Staff

Every week of the 2016 season, CFL.ca columnists Pat Steinberg and Marshall Ferguson will debate over one of the league’s most contentious storylines. In Week 8 we ask the question: with Zach Collaros back in the huddle, are the Hamilton Tiger-Cats the team to beat in the East?

Most of us will agree pretty easily that Zach Collaros is a difference-maker in the Canadian Football League. The question is to what degree?

The Ticats fought to a 3-3 record without their top quarterback at the helm, who’s been sidelined since last September with a torn ACL. Collaros has missed nine regular season games since then (a span over which the Ticats have gone 5-7) while Jeremiah Masoli has kept Hamilton competitive in the meantime.

But while Collaros, last year the likely top candidate for Most Outstanding Player before his season-ending injury, is an almost definite upgrade over Masoli, how much better does he make the Ticats?

On one hand, the Ticats have gone 16-9 and appeared in a Grey Cup in two years with Collaros as a starter compared to 6-11 and no Grey Cup in games without him. With a top-ranked defence and a well-coached team led by Kent Austin and Orlondo Steinauer, Hamilton hardly resembles on paper its current third-place standing in the East behind both Ottawa and Toronto.

The other argument is that we’re expecting too much from Collaros. The 27-year-old hasn’t played a down of football in almost 11 months, and now he’s being asked to come in and propel a team from .500 and third-place to contender. Fair or not, that’s how good Collaros was last season — those are the expectations.

And so we cut to the chase — are the Ticats the favourite to win the East? Steinberg and Ferguson debate in the latest Berg vs. Ferg.

COLLAROS TIPS THE SCALES

Marshall_Ferguson_2016

The return of Zach Collaros absolutely makes the Hamilton Tiger-Cats the favourite to win the East.

Zach coming back is about much more than statistics and wins. In regaining Collaros, the Tiger-Cats instantly become a much more well-rounded team.

One of the CFL’s top rated defences is suddenly backed by one of the more explosive passing attacks of 2015 before Collaros suffered his knee injury. And while the passing attack should increase the scoring punch and put the defence in better situations moving forward, Collaros has also shown an elite ability to convert on second down and long.

By converting at a higher percentage than Jeremiah Masoli, the Tiger-Cats’ league worst time of possession standing should be improved which will put an already stellar defence into better, well-rested situations.

TICATS WITH AND WITHOUT COLLAROS IN 2015

WITH WITHOUT
RECORD 8-4 2-4
POINTS (AVG) 34.2 20.0
PASSING YARDS (AVG) 306.8 244.3

The other underrated aspect of Collaros’ return which will make the Tiger-Cats a favourite to win the Eastern Division is the consistency and confidence he brings to the Black and Gold.

Jeremiah Masoli did a lot of things very well as a stand-in starter. Being consistent was not one of them. Masoli’s ups and downs from game to game, half to half, even quarter to quarter were equivalent to a two-seater cessna riding through a Manitoba lightning storm.

Collaros’ career as a CFL starter has been defined by three things: A relatively high completion percentage; a special ability to convert in second down situations; and effective trips to the red zone. All areas in which the Tiger-Cats could use some help; all things that aid the consistency of an offence looking to find a rhythm for longer than a quarter or two.

The combination of Zach’s effect on all phases of the Tiger-Cats’ roster along with the dependable consistency he adds by returning should place the Tiger-Cats among the most realistic threats to take the Eastern Division.

BERG (1-2): ONE PLAYER ISN’T ENOUGH IN THE EAST

Pat_Steinberg_2016

The return of Zach Collaros to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats lineup is nothing but positive. Getting one of the league’s best and most exciting quarterbacks back in the fold after missing his team’s first six games is huge and something to look forward to.

As good as Collaros is, though, I don’t believe his return alone will transform the 3-3 Ticats into an automatic division winner.

I say that first and foremost because Hamilton has had more issues than just at quarterback this season. Jeremiah Masoli hasn’t been at Collaros’ level to this point, but he also hasn’t lost his team games either. While they’ve had a few solid outings and boast some nice stats, the Tiger-Cats have been far too inconsistent on the defensive side of the ball. While the return of Collaros should help decrease how much time Hamilton’s defence spends on the field, it isn’t going to solve that unit’s issues with consistency, either.

Then there’s the matter of the competition. Even if Hamilton has Collaros in the fold, the Ottawa REDBLACKS are at the top of the East Division mountain. They boast the league’s reigning MOP in Henry Burris and, prior to his injury, the best quarterback we’ve seen play in 2016 in Trevor Harris. Add on the CFL’s most elite group of receivers and a very underrated group defensively and you can see why Ottawa played for the Grey Cup last November. Getting Collaros back will help move the Tiger-Cats closer, but right now the REDBLACKS are the team to beat.

It’s impossible to dispute the fact Hamilton will get better with Collaros coming back. We’re talking about one of the league’s best players in the game’s most important position. Thanks to some of his team’s issues otherwise and its competition in the division, though, I don’t see Collaros’ return being a magic elixir.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions need to bring the heat and give Collaros a lot of different looks. Collaros may be physically read to go but he's not in game shape.
footballtom
Rookie

Yes this is going to be a interesting game the lions have not seen Collaros . Ticats might surprise the lions a bit . but I am still predicting a lions win 33-23

Again wondering how many people will show up on a beautiful Saturday night .

I hope they can get over 22,000

GO LIONS .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For the second straight week, the Lions will start the game without three regulars on the O-line and two on the D-line.

On offence, Ex-Ticat Tim O'Neill again starts ahead of Hunter Steward at left guard, while Kirby Fabien and Antonio Johnson continue to hold down the right side due to extended absence of Charles Vaillancourt and Levy Adcock.

On defence, Bryant Turner again starts for the injured Mic'hael Brooks. Turner had two sacks last week in Montreal and will need to keep up the pressure against Zach Collaros and a Hamilton team that doesn't often run the ball. Rookie DE Andrew Hudson, who had a sack last week in his CFL debut, starts again for Craig Roh. The only good news from an injury perspective is the return to the roster of safety Mike Edem and rotational D-lineman David Menard, although LU says Menard will not play.

In the first meeting between these teams, the Lions won 28-3 on the strength of an aggressive defence that recorded four sacks, two interceptions and three forced fumbles and rattled inexperienced Hamilton QB Jeremiah Masoli. Collaros is bound to show some rust in his first start in a year but he can be effective if given time to settle down and establish a rhythm.

B.C. depth chart and roster here.