Rod Pedersen calls for Brooks head

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

It's Monday, I have the day off and it's a sunny day in Victoria. What else is a middle-aged Lions fan going to do but go and get a titter, a chuckle, even a hearty guffaw at the expense of Rod Pedersen by reading his blog? And sure enough, the Anne Coulter of CFL broadcasters didn't disappoint.

His Monday morning goalie post included several musings on a few CFL topics but at the top of his hit list was how Brooks needs to be pilloried. Rod needs to stow away the righteous indignation and enjoy his DraftKings earnings ( he has won twice this year! Sarcastic yay! ). In all its glory....

1 - BROOKS AND DONE:  There's no question that the low hit by B.C. defensive tackle Micha'el Brooks was a deliberate attempt to injure Darian Durant.  The Lions' #90 was falling at Durant's feet but he swooped his legs in a "slewfoot" motion and clipped the Rider quarterback in the back of the legs.  However when the CFL head office examines the tape early this week, the worst punishments Brooks will suffer is likely to be a fine.

On play #14 Brooks was flagged for facemasking Durant while play #47 was the one where he took out Durant's legs.  There was talk this spring that any player guilty of two major fouls would be ejected from the game but that idea was not included in the list of rule changes that was announced on April 7.

I can accept the average Rider fan being pissed about loosing Durant, especially when everyone and their dog knows the Riders still haven't properly addressed their backup QB situation. But c'mon Pedersen....I can't read anything he writes or hear anything he says without going "oh yeah,....he is on the Rider payroll"
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Credibility is based on unbiased reporting. Rod Pedersen doesn't have much credibility at the best of times. Just the latest example.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This is the same guy who once tried to crash the PA/video board operations room @BCP because he thought they were pumping fake crowd noise throughout the building, right?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shouldn't Pederson be out at Mosaic with his confetti gun causing another blackout ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:This is the same guy who once tried to crash the PA/video board operations room @BCP because he thought they were pumping fake crowd noise throughout the building, right?
Actually wasn't that Kent Austin's wife? Silly things people do sometimes.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Shouldn't Pederson be out at Mosaic with his confetti gun causing another blackout ?
I "sent" him a tweet (as much as one can send a tweet) asking that he account for his whereabouts when the blackout occurred at Mosiac. He hasn't gotten back to me.
pennw
Legend

As Glenn Suiter said during the game, everyone at Mosaic Stadium has green coloured glasses . That would include Rod Pederson .
swervynmerv
Legend

pennw wrote:As Glenn Suiter said during the game, everyone at Mosaic Stadium has green coloured glasses . That would include Rod Pederson .
Slow "Wisers" clap for that comment Suits!! For the most part the media in Regina are huge fans rather than reporters. On one blog, it was stated the Lions were gonna get "whupped" by the Riders. Ooooops!!

It is what it is in Sask, there are some media, an ex player on the post game show actually sided with Brooks and didn't think it was an intentional slew foot, so it does go both ways.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
pennw wrote:As Glenn Suiter said during the game, everyone at Mosaic Stadium has green coloured glasses . That would include Rod Pederson .
Slow "Wisers" clap for that comment Suits!! For the most part the media in Regina are huge fans rather than reporters. On one blog, it was stated the Lions were gonna get "whupped" by the Riders. Ooooops!!

It is what it is in Sask, there are some media, an ex player on the post game show actually sided with Brooks and didn't think it was an intentional slew foot, so it does go both ways.
wouldn't it be nice if the media in Toronto were argo fans.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

swervynmerv wrote:For the most part the media in Regina are huge fans rather than reporters. On one blog, it was stated the Lions were gonna get "whupped" by the Riders. Ooooops!.

In fairness they only have 1 pro team to cover. Don't want to piss their meal-ticket off lest they get re-assigned to curling, WHL or reporting on wheat crops.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
swervynmerv
Legend

Hambone wrote:
swervynmerv wrote:For the most part the media in Regina are huge fans rather than reporters. On one blog, it was stated the Lions were gonna get "whupped" by the Riders. Ooooops!.

In fairness they only have 1 pro team to cover. Don't want to piss their meal-ticket off lest they get re-assigned to curling, WHL or reporting on wheat crops.

Hambone, you are bang on. Last year several of the media got ripped by the old guard for being "too negative" about the Riders when they stood up and spoke the truth on some things.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

So you are saying that not only is he biased, he is a coward too? :dizzy:
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swervynmerv
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:So you are saying that not only is he biased, he is a coward too? :dizzy:
No not at all. Just saying its a different dynamic with a community owned team.

I think the guys who cover the Leo's are employees of Team 1040. The Leo's are privately owned so media can be a little more opinionated with teams like the Leo's and Canucks. With community owned teams, many media people are employed or contracted by the team. Not sure if that is the case here.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely green covered glasses in Sask, but when a team is as popular and representative of the whole province like the Riders, there is a large expectation I think with a community owned team for media members to be as positive as possible.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:So you are saying that not only is he biased, he is a coward too? :dizzy:

I think the guys who cover the Leo's are employees of Team 1040. The Leo's are privately owned so media can be a little more opinionated with teams like the Leo's and Canucks. With community owned teams, many media people are employed or contracted by the team. Not sure if that is the case here.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely green covered glasses in Sask, but when a team is as popular and representative of the whole province like the Riders, there is a large expectation I think with a community owned team for media members to be as positive as possible.
I don't disagree, I was trying to be tongue in cheek and kind of failed.
CardiacKid
Legend

swervynmerv wrote:

Yes, it is an entirely diiferent context in Riderville when it comes to media and how much of a critical eye they cast on the Rider's. And I do suppose I am being somewhat unfair in regards to Pedersen and being somewhat "troll-y". But I can't help but feel that he is particularly self-serving in his "reporting" of the Riders.

When Kirk Penton reported last year that Chamblin would be gone by Labour day, Pedersen couldn't contain his contempt and attempted to rally the troops and circle the wagons. When Chamblin was gone, Pedersen threw him under the bus and called the waaaahmbulance for what he felt were personal slights against him by Chamblin.

It just makes me appreciate sports journalists and what they write when they aren't a cheering section first.