BC Lions own'ship and ticket sellin 'whitecaps selling out'

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TofinoLions
prospect

the BC Lions should be selling out the lower bowl every game. upper bowl shouldn't be out of question. However they aren't right now. A decent team w/ exciting QB and young athletic fun players all over. MVP LB.

I know whitecaps are selling cheap tix and i have noticed tons of freebies all over. I was handed free tix in a mall north of vancouver last week. I asked for 4 more she gave me 4 more. I had to connect to ticket mater and enter a promo code. I didn't go but I could have.

So whats so special about the whitecaps ownership group? CFL should sell itself and not whitecaps. why are ppl going to these games? who cares abaout MLScup. if they win what do they accomplish? nobody in the world cares and its really not important to the city. But these ppl are going.

are they tourists? visitor fans? all freebies?

what is it.
MikeAK
All Star

I'm half a sleep right now so I won't comment for fear of being disrespectful. All I got is "WOW"
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I have never really grasped why anyone should say that because professional sports franchise A is selling this much, that professional sports franchise B should be selling that much. These are different sports, with a different fan base by in large. Sure there is probably some overlap and for those, there is probably some "choose this over that because I can't choose both" going on. It makes about as much sense as saying the Canucks can sell this, so the Lions should be selling that.

Sad to say, football is not the most common of sports played by young people in this city. There aren't that many football programs at the school age level. Where do adult fans come from? In many cases, it is the fellow who spent many years playing at a lower level of the sport who now waxes poetic about it. Secondly, you have to look at the cultural demographic. How does this city break down in those terms? Do we have lots of people here who come from football intense places like the US? No, we have lots of Europeans and SE Asians. Guess which sport may attract fans of this kind more?

The Lion's have always had to overcome factors like this as well as the blanket brainwashing that comes from the NFL. I know lots of young people in this town that are all over the NFL and could care less about the CFL. The Lions have to work hard to generate interest here and because the city is what it is, with people who live here being who they are, it isn't always easy. What I will say is that this league as a whole is in way better shape than it has been in years past. We know longer seem to flirt with the league going under, I have noted a subtle shift in the attitudes that Internationals seem to have about this league as well. In the past, it seemed as though US born players were barely aware of the CFL. Now it seems much more common to have players be aware of the CFL and to view it as a viable option if their NFL aspirations fissile. It is always going to be a battle especially when you have seen several years of diminishing returns culminating in last years Tedford disappointment. If this franchise is in ascendancy again, then your crowds will start to swell. Everybody likes a winner.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
footballtom
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:I have never really grasped why anyone should say that because professional sports franchise A is selling this much, that professional sports franchise B should be selling that much. These are different sports, with a different fan base by in large. Sure there is probably some overlap and for those, there is probably some "choose this over that because I can't choose both" going on. It makes about as much sense as saying the Canucks can sell this, so the Lions should be selling that.

Sad to say, football is not the most common of sports played by young people in this city. There aren't that many football programs at the school age level. Where do adult fans come from? In many cases, it is the fellow who spent many years playing at a lower level of the sport who now waxes poetic about it. Secondly, you have to look at the cultural demographic. How does this city break down in those terms? Do we have lots of people here who come from football intense places like the US? No, we have lots of Europeans and SE Asians. Guess which sport may attract fans of this kind more?

The Lion's have always had to overcome factors like this as well as the blanket brainwashing that comes from the NFL. I know lots of young people in this town that are all over the NFL and could care less about the CFL. The Lions have to work hard to generate interest here and because the city is what it is, with people who live here being who they are, it isn't always easy. What I will say is that this league as a whole is in way better shape than it has been in years past. We know longer seem to flirt with the league going under, I have noted a subtle shift in the attitudes that Internationals seem to have about this league as well. In the past, it seemed as though US born players were barely aware of the CFL. Now it seems much more common to have players be aware of the CFL and to view it as a viable option if their NFL aspirations fissile. It is always going to be a battle especially when you have seen several years of diminishing returns culminating in last years Tedford disappointment. If this franchise is in ascendancy again, then your crowds will start to swell. Everybody likes a winner.

The Lions compared to the NFL even in the Mid 80s with a team that was more popular than the canucks ( toast of the town ) I knew people back who slammed the cfl and the lions because it is not the NFL .
I remember there was a fellow who loved the Seahawks ( in which I did and still do ) we just played Winnipeg in front of 60,000 he went to the games with me and said it is still a joke , so you can never win with the these guys . The only thing now is the Lions are way down on peoples radar it seems that every one is against them .