Calgary @ BC - Game Journal and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q1

Good to see Lions' blitzes pressuring the QB.

Not much on short yardage. No push.

Pass protection ughh. Two sacks in Q 1.

Punt blocked. Ughhh Rush through gap.

Defence essentially in 4-2, with nickel in pass cover.

13 yards rushing.

Cal 1 - BC 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q2

Nice to see fake blitzes and movement.

FG Cal 4 - BC 0.

JJ almost picked a few times. No separation for receivers.

Huge pressure on Jennings. O Line a sieve. But they have girth. Loads of girth.

Nice blitz by Leos. D doing pretty well. Calgary not testing us on the ground.

Jennings clobbered on three man rush.

Punt blocked again. Ughh

O Line woes. ST woes.

Nice goal line D. Yee haw. Full credit to Mark W so far. Not so much to Khari and Dan D and Marcello.

Brooks awesome play.

JJ to Gore. JJ clobbered again. Ughhh

Punt blocked again. Amateur hour.

Movement by 56 causes procedure.

Durant looking good.

Confusion on D. TD.

Cal 10 - BC 0.

Moore drops it.

JJ to Burnham. Then Gore. Then Manny. Huge pressure on JJ.

FG attempt. Miss.

Good D again.

JJ to Moore.

FG attempt. Good. Cal 10 - BC 3.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q3

Forde says BC wanted to be more physical on the O Line this year. Not so far. Girth Yes. Effectiveness not so much.

Sack. Hellacious hit, says Rod Black. Taking far too many hits. Four man rush only.

Nice pressure by Mark W's D. Very happy to see Mark D's D blitzing.

JJ to Burnham. Manny. This fan really likes JJ. Keep him healthy. Gore off to a good start. Way to go, JJ. Great read. Fast release. Gore again. This fan has always had faith in the talent level of Gore.

Huge pressure on JJ again. Pathetic pass protection. We will be lucky to keep him healthy. Simple pressure schemes killing us.

Great drive by JJ. FG 10 - 6 for Cal.

No running game for us. JJ24, 5 for 11.

Kick return. Oh my God.

Durant great catch. Tweaked his knee. TD by Messam. Cal 17 - 6.

JJ to Burnham. Always liked Burnham. Nice run by JJ24. Angle blocking by the Girth Guys. Short. Ya gotta go. Get some push. Why the heck do we have JJ on short yardage? Gheeeez Gore again. Interference on Calgary. Great drive again by JJ. Burnham beauty. Moore. Good call on the goal line IMO. Close though. Short yardage. Tough to overturn that call. Hips down. TD Rainey. Nice call. Test the outside D. Cal 17 - BC 12.

Any doubts about Jennings? Of course there will be. You know, you have to play a full season, et cetera. Not for this fan. Jennings giving us some life on offence. A QB like JJ can make up for uncertain pass protection.

Defence good so far.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Don't you think it's a little too early to create this thread, WCJ? The game's not over yet.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q4

Nice to see Travis coaching up JJ and Burnham.

Pressure by the D. Way to go, Mark W. This fan is thinking that Mark W has opened up his play book somewhat. This fan thinks he is a gifted leader. Was hoping he would go to more of a pressure D.

Rainey TD return. Yee haw. No flag. LOL Moore for 2. Yee haw. Now we are having fun. 14 point turnaround. BC 20 - Cal 17. Take that, Dickie.

Nice pressure by D.

Cal not using Messam in the run game. Dunno why ...

Huge noise in the stadium. Cal has the run game going a bit. Harrison doing very well. C'mon D. Edem almost makes an interception. Pressure sack gets Mitchell. Way to go, Mark W. Way to go, Bazzie. D holds. Bazzie is slippery as an eel.

Great spirit on the team. Credit to Wally.

JJ to Gore. Forced to punt.

6:28 left.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Don't you think it's a little too early to create this thread, WCJ? The game's not over yet.
Buzz off Robbie. LOL :beer:

You post your stuff. And I will post my stuff.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Robbie wrote:Don't you think it's a little too early to create this thread, WCJ? The game's not over yet.

and we will see who is in Scotland first. :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

and we will see who is in Scotland first. :wink:
Robbie is the protocol police. Ha ha

And, by the way, there is a game journal also. Quarters 1, 2, 3 and part of 4 already in the books. Whatever ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Q4 continued ...

Mitchell has Calgary moving.

Trick play. Yell oh so close to interception. 4:05 left.

Oh man. Awesome blitz. Way to go, Mark W.

FG attempt wide. Oh my God. We need to move the football.

JJ scrambles. Awesome. The Kid is a gamer.

Awesome run by JJ24. Way to go, O Line. JJ24 again. The hogs are moving earth. First down. Be nice to get the TD. Oh, Man. They are running behind Olafioye and Steward. First down.

Closing it out. Congratulations, Wally.

maxlion
Legend

Jennings outplays Mitchell.
Rainey makes plays.
Johnson runs out the clock.
D steps up.
Leone and special teams not so special.
Calgary showing some cracks.

Took awhile to gel, but very promising performance. Great game!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some random comments, post game.

This fan is really impressed by how Mark W has adjusted his philosophy. The willingness to blitz. Great pressure on Mitchell.

STs had some issues, and some success.

Rainey is such a dangerous weapon.

O Line had some protection issues, but the hogs moved earth on the final drive. And JJ found some comfort in the pocket.

This fan could not be happier with the calm, cool, mobile Jennings. Totally unafraid to throw long. Softens up the D. Gets him some time in the pocket. Keeps the D off balance. He would not need to do that if he had more time in the pocket. He is a special talent, IMO.

Congratulations to Wally. The team morale looks awesome. Not without issues, but the kids come to play.

Alputt
Champion

Was a bit frustrated for the first 3 quarters, penalties and missed passes. We obviously adapted though and came out with the W. Rainey had a great game, I thought also Burnham, and Jennings kept his cool.

Good times!

I think the various media predictions of Lions finishing 4th or 5th in the west may well be proven wrong. I think this team can go far. Excited for the rest of the season!

Does anybody know what the attendance was? Less than I hoped but energy was good. Had that 4th quarter wave etc.
prj
Starter

WCJ puts it very well. My word for morale would be heart, but we're describing the same thing. There were enough things going off the rails in the first half that an average team would have thought about tomorrow. But this team stuck around and got it right! Congratulations to all of them for a really inspiring win over a good football team.

Jennings (JJ - yes) showed amazing poise after some understandable jitters. That final, soul-destroying march down through the last 3 minutes was REALLY well done by the whole team. A most impressive performance!

Congrats to Wally -- nice job.

Welcome back.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Alputt wrote:Does anybody know what the attendance was? Less than I hoped but energy was good. Had that 4th quarter wave etc.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Alputt
Champion

Robbie wrote:
Alputt wrote:Does anybody know what the attendance was? Less than I hoped but energy was good. Had that 4th quarter wave etc.
Thank you, about what I figured from my seat. Hoped for 25,000+