No Love for Lions - (Predictions, title ed by Mod Staff)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

Checking Sports Websites (TSN, Riderfans.com, eskfans.com, etc).... Lions are rated in prediction threads at the bottom, or close to the bottom of the Western Conference. TSN's preview show yesterday had very little on the Lions. Most seem dismissive of the talent on this team.

I really try to look at the teams objectively and from a talent and coaching perspective, the Lions are right there with Calgary and Edmonton.

Jennings and Lulay are very talented and have egos in check.

The receiving corps is one that I would put against any other in the league. Defence is solid and was the best defence in the league over the last 6 regular season games last year.

Wally is stable as coach and the players genuinely seem to want to play for him. He has more wins than anyone else.

Personally, I think this team is going to open a lot of eyes and will find success early and often as the season progresses.
The_Pauser
Legend

My predicted standings:

West
1. Calgary
2. BC
3. Winnipeg
4. Edmonton
5. Saskatchewan

East
1. Ottawa
2. Hamilton
3. Toronto
4. Montreal
Roar you Lions roar!
footballtom
Rookie

My Predictions sorry if this is the wrong thread.

WEST

Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Winnipeg
Sask

EAST

Ottawa
Toronto
Hamilton
Montreal

No cross over this year
west semi final Calgary host BC
Calgary wins but very close game this time.

Western Final

Calgary at Edmonton
Edmonton wins in another close game

East semi final
Toronto hosting Hamilton sold out BMO Field
Toronto wins a close one

EASTERN FINAL
Ottawa hosting Toronto
Toronto wins in the upset and hosts there own Grey Cup

Grey Cup 2016 in Toronto

Argos vs Eskimos

Eskimos win there second straight grey cup.
Rammer
Team Captain

footballtom wrote:My Predictions sorry if this is the wrong thread.

WEST

Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Winnipeg
Sask

EAST

Ottawa
Toronto
Hamilton
Montreal

No cross over this year

Western Final

Calgary at Edmonton

East semi final
Toronto wins a close one

EASTERN FINAL
Ottawa hosting Toronto

Grey Cup 2016 in Toronto

Argos vs Eskimos

I won't challenge any of your regular season predictions, but I will give Ottawa the GC nod if Burris can stay healthy this season. Good job, and Edmonton is the team to beat.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lots of love for Edmonton? Not here.

West

Calgary at the top

A bunch of teams chasing

East

Hamilton and Ottawa fighting for 1st

Toronto

Montreal
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
footballtom
Rookie

Rammer wrote:
footballtom wrote:My Predictions sorry if this is the wrong thread.

WEST

Edmonton
Calgary
BC
Winnipeg
Sask

EAST

Ottawa
Toronto
Hamilton
Montreal

No cross over this year

Western Final

Calgary at Edmonton

East semi final
Toronto wins a close one

EASTERN FINAL
Ottawa hosting Toronto

Grey Cup 2016 in Toronto

Argos vs Eskimos

I won't challenge any of your regular season predictions, but I will give Ottawa the GC nod if Burris can stay healthy this season. Good job, and Edmonton is the team to beat.

Ok I still think the Lions have a way to go with new players etc.

I believe Jennings has a lot of talent but he was only 3-3 last year and did not look good at all in the Playoff game.

reminds a bit when Flutie came to the lions in 1990 he had a so so first year and then took off from there. We will see starting Saturday Night.
Lionsfan65
Starter

Well since everybody is making predictions on this thread, here are mine:
West, tough to predict this year.

1. BC, maybe my personal bias showing a little bit, however this year reminds me a lot like 2011, young qb and a very talented team overall, not to mention Wally back on the sideline.
2. Calgary, Calgary may slip a little bit, Dickenson should become a fine HC, however it is his first year, and they have lost some significant talent in the offseason.
3. Winnipeg, looks good on paper, but can their key players stay healthy, and can all these new acquisitions play together?
4. Edmonton, lost a lot of key players in the offseason, and a rookie head coach.
5. Saskatchewan, As much as i hate to admit it, Chris Jones is a good coach and in a couple of years they should be competing for first, however one year is not enough to turn around a team, not to mention their lack of depth behind durant.

East:
1. Ottawa, They're the team to beat this year, they have the best qb depth and solid coaching.
2. Toronto, playing at BMO field and the return of Ricky Ray, in addition to an improved defence with Stubler coaching.
3. Hamilton, It appears that Collaros may not be ready yet, and there is not a whole lot of talent behind him.
4. Montreal, Lack of qb depth and Popp on the sideline may result in a long season for montreal.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

We may have a decent core of starters but some of the newer players are still going to have to cut their teeth a little and if some of the starters go down, the depth falls off pretty seriously after that.

I think second is achievable but I'm more comfortable at 3rd.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

If the prognosticators and soothsayers are not giving us (well I should say the Leos...I am not the one donning shoulder pads) much of a chance, so be it. Being the underdog has its definite upside.

And maybe with this group of veterans, young players and some new faces, playing without the commentators braying at them that they should be in 1st or whatever, will be good for them.

Play within themselves and for themselves, not against themselves, and this "experiment" could surprise some. And hey, all the more sweet if they surprise the experts along the way.
leo4life
All Star

Lions may have had the best D last 6 regular season games but we're blown out in Calgary so they need to prove it come playoff time
WEST:
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
BC
Winnipeg
EAST:
Hamilton
Ottawa
Toronto
Montreal
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cal
wpg
ed
sask
bc

ott
ham
tor
mont
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary and Edmonton are still the teams to beat in the West. Lions may have the talent but it's going to take them time to jell as a team.
Blitz
Team Captain

Edmonton
Calgary
Saskathchewan
B.C.
Winnipeg

Its hard to know how much of a difference it will make in Edmonton. losing Jones, who also coached their defense and how much they will regress under Benevedes. However, they should be better on offence this season.

Dave Dickenson takes over from a legend and he also lost a very good defensive coordinator in Stubler.

The team that I believe will surprise will be Saskatchewan. Jones can put together a very aggressive, very good defense in a hurry.

Hard to select the Lions 4th with such a promising group of players and Wally back. However, I don't have a ton of faith in our coordinators, the offensive line could take time to gel, and at this point we don't have a defense that looks like it can get consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks. I'm hopeful and if we could string a few wins together, our Leos could take off under Jennings and have a very good year.

The Bombers should be improved but not sure if they have filled all the holes they needed to fill.

Really though, any team in the West could make the playoffs. Not sure there is any clear favorite yet and while Edmonton and Calgary deserve to be the favorites going in, they are also dealing with coaching changes that could impact their season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
squishy35
Legend

Blitz wrote:Edmonton
Calgary
Saskathchewan
B.C.
Winnipeg

Its hard to know how much of a difference it will make in Edmonton. losing Jones, who also coached their defense and how much they will regress under Benevedes. However, they should be better on offence this season.

Dave Dickenson takes over from a legend and he also lost a very good defensive coordinator in Stubler.

The team that I believe will surprise will be Saskatchewan. Jones can put together a very aggressive, very good defense in a hurry.

Hard to select the Lions 4th with such a promising group of players and Wally back. However, I don't have a ton of faith in our coordinators, the offensive line could take time to gel, and at this point we don't have a defense that looks like it can get consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks. I'm hopeful and if we could string a few wins together, our Leos could take off under Jennings and have a very good year.

The Bombers should be improved but not sure if they have filled all the holes they needed to fill.

Really though, any team in the West could make the playoffs. Not sure there is any clear favorite yet and while Edmonton and Calgary deserve to be the favorites going in, they are also dealing with coaching changes that could impact their season.

I really don't see the Riders as being too successful. They have a decimated receiving corps, a QB coming off of a significant Achilles injury (with no proven back-up), a gutted defence and their first round pick is a hold out.

The receivers for the Lions seem quite pleased with Bellefille at the receivers' coach. The big question marks for me as far as coaches go are Khari Jones' offence design (though I think Wally will be influencing this more) and the Special Teams. I would say the Lions should be solidly a third place team. But the potential for them to be a dominate team in the west is certainly there.
maxlion
Legend

The Stamps have a long record of success under Hufnagel, but look vulnerable this year. Dickenson strikes me as an excellent football mind, but does he want to put in the hours to be successful as both HC and OC? The receiving core is perhaps the worst in the league, OL is average, RB solid but not spectacular as in the past few years. They've lost some big names on D and have a rookie DC, and went with a nepotistic choice for director of scouting. I see them squeaking into the playoffs, but could easily miss with a bad break or two.

Riders have made too many changes and have too many unproven players and castoffs to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs this year. Durant is a huge question mark. If he were to play at the level he did previously, it would be remarkable, especially with a below average running back and receiving core. Their D will be better, but will be on the field too much and can't win by themselves.

Winnipeg is facing early injuries and, like the Lions, have holes and question marks throughout the lineup. They were close to the playoffs last year with terrible QBing. But is Willy all that much better?

Edmonton should be the class of the west. They've recovered well from losing much of their staff. They have strong leadership and their key players are back. A lock to make the playoffs at least.

BC is a real question mark. They should be able to compete with Calgary and Winnipeg at least, and may be the surprise of the league this year. DL and OL appear to be early weaknesses again, and it will be hard to win if you lose the LOS. I don't have much confidence in Jones or Dorazio, and Washington's defenses have been inconsistent, though have shown some potential as well. At least, with Jennings at the helm with a strong group of receivers, it will be an exciting year, win or lose. This team can get lucky and win it all.

Edm
BC
Cal
Wpg
Sask