Lions 28 - Riders 16 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some quick impressions.

ST transformation. Marcello Simmons brings motivation, organization and energy to the unit. :thup:

Leone should be fine.

JJ and Travis should be fine.

Johnson looked adequate at RB.

Manny looks ready to shine. Burnham could be ready.

O Line a work in progress. Or is that an experiment in progress? :wink: Huge. Mobile enough? Agile enough?

D works hard. Well organized. Talent looks good.

Wally wanted a win, and he got it. :thup: Wally does not bring the Xs and Os. He brings the culture. ProfessIonalism. Accountability. As a Head Coach he is new to many of the troops. And he has their attention.

Riders did not look good. To be expected. New everything. Jones will bring the heat however. He was cranky. Ha ha
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish offers his assessment:
Long night for Lions in preseason win over Roughriders

A win is a win. That was the mandate and the Lions delivered. It was ugly and sloppy as first preseason games usually are but it was a much-needed win. Welcome back, Wally.

As WCJ said, Leone should be fine.

I thought the revamped O-line looked good, especially Husband, who played most of the game at centre, and Steward at left guard. Pass protection was solid all night from the first-teamers.

Arceneaux and Gore showed why they are the leaders of the receiving corps, along with Moore, who didn't play. No one stepped up to claim the two remaining positions, so Marco Iannuzzi's starting job should be safe.

Johnson and Coleman showed flashes at RB. I still think the starter's job is Anthony Allen's to lose.

Darius Allen showed potential on the D-line with his strip sack. I was disappointed in Uko and the other interior players, with the exception of Maxx Forde, who seemed to play a strong game and had a couple of tackles.

Adam Bighill was a force at LB when he played in the first half. Jason Arakgi and DyShawn Davis did a good job in relief. Davis is a strong contender for the roster spot vacated by Alex Hoffman-Ellis.

The secondary should be great with Phillips and Stewart in the lineup. Some of the rookies stepped up and played well but nickelback remains a concern after some poor decision-making by Steven Clarke.
prj
Starter

The team looked fine for this stage of the season and full of promise.

Their uniforms were not fine; I thought they were a disgrace. Red helmets over Orange jerseys? Did Kato pack the wrong kit?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Mike Beamish offers his assessment:
Long night for Lions in preseason win over Roughriders

A win is a win. That was the mandate and the Lions delivered. It was ugly and sloppy as first preseason games usually are but it was a much-needed win. Welcome back, Wally.

As WCJ said, Leone should be fine.

I thought the revamped O-line looked good, especially Husband, who played most of the game at centre, and Steward at left guard. Pass protection was solid all night from the first-teamers.

Arceneaux and Gore showed why they are the leaders of the receiving corps, along with Moore, who didn't play. No one stepped up to claim the two remaining positions, so Marco Iannuzzi's starting job should be safe.

Johnson and Coleman showed flashes at RB. I still think the starter's job is Anthony Allen's to lose.

Darius Allen showed potential on the D-line with his strip sack. I was disappointed in Uko and the other interior players, with the exception of Maxx Forde, who seemed to play a strong game and had a couple of tackles.

Adam Bighill was a force at LB when he played in the first half. Jason Arakgi and DyShawn Davis did a good job in relief. Davis is a strong contender for the roster spot vacated by Alex Hoffman-Ellis.

The secondary should be great with Phillips and Stewart in the lineup. Some of the rookies stepped up and played well but nickelback remains a concern after some poor decision-making by Steven Clarke.
Good perspective, BCF.

Honestly, with the new uniforms, new positions and new players, I had a hard time recognizing guys. I will have to put the O Line numbers to memory. Same with the D Line. I found it not that easy to make out the numbers. I know, they are big. But the contrast or something was off for me. The designers put so much emphasis on artwork, etc., that for me they seem to lose the simplicity of easy to read numbers and team identification.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

The announcers said at the beginning that Clarke was playing out of position in Elimimian's spot, which may have been a factor in his play, though it doesn't excuse the dumb penalties.

It may be too early to write off Burnham. He looks ready to challenge all comers for a starting position.

Biggest disappointment of the night for me was Lulay. Always hoping he's going to regain some past form, always disappointed. Price just looked lost. Jennings looks great.

Riders were getting good pressure on the QB. Combined with a not great running game, it looks like the OL could be a weak spot.

Special teams looked sharp. Organized and aggressive all night.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:The announcers said at the beginning that Clarke was playing out of position in Elimimian's spot, which may have been a factor in his play, though it doesn't excuse the dumb penalties.

It may be too early to write off Burnham. He looks ready to challenge all comers for a starting position.

Biggest disappointment of the night for me was Lulay. Always hoping he's going to regain some past form, always disappointed. Price just looked lost. Jennings looks great.

Riders were getting good pressure on the QB. Combined with a not great running game, it looks like the OL could be a weak spot.

There were two Clarkes on the field, one at MLB the other at Nickel back.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

After game 1 I don't see too many tough decisions looming which I'm not sure is good or bad coming off an 8-10 season.

I'm glad to hear Travis is as healthy as he has ever been in the last 3 years. Suitor and Black kept hammering that point home. But this team's fortune's rests heavily on the shoulders of Jennings and his further development to becoming an elite QB in this league. That was proven in that short and spectacular drive.

Manny, Moore, Gore and Iannuzzi are locks for the main receiver rotation and Burnham looks like a certainty too. Has good chemistry with Jennings and perhaps the most upside of the 5. No other international receiver stood out last night. You can certainly see the concern of Hawkins departure. As for the nationals, Blaszko dropped an easy pass in the flat and Adekolu was only noted for being way offside to wipe out Burnham's TD. Year #3 for him and at some point he has to show he can challenge the 2 veteran nationals for playing time.

Running game didn't get any traction until the 2nd half. Johnson showed some flashes but I really liked Coleman. Hit the holes with top end speed. Looked explosive.

Was encouraged with what I saw with the 1st unit o-line in the 2nd half. If Vaillancourt isn't far away from being a starter then where exactly? Fabien was just re-signed and the effort to move Steward to guard wouldn't be for short term. Throw Guy into the equation too and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. But finally some national depth and potential to work with.

Allen impressed me the most among the new d-lineman candidates. Could be trouble for Roh. As BC FAN pointed out, Uko was a non factor after rave reports at camp. Don't see anyone challenging Minter or Brooks.

Finally, another big thumbs down to the league for somehow matching BC/Calgary for the final week of pre-season and week one of the regular season. Could the two not be playing Edmonton and the Riders respectively? Can only imagine how vanilla next Friday's game will be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Adekolu was only noted for being way offside to wipe out Burnham's TD. Year #3 for him and at some point he has to show he can challenge the 2 veteran nationals for playing time.
On that play I think Adekolu was only guilty of being more offside than Burnham who looked like he was also offside.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Sammygreene, I think it was 7-11 last season but either way there is a lot less player turnover than you would expect after such a poor season. However, I think that the biggest problem last season was the coaching and it has now been addressed at least partially.

While I spent most of last season asking "When will the Tedford Influence show up?" and of course it never did, his legacy will be the guy who recognized the talent and potential in Jennings when others didn't.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Adekolu was only noted for being way offside to wipe out Burnham's TD. Year #3 for him and at some point he has to show he can challenge the 2 veteran nationals for playing time.
On that play I think Adekolu was only guilty of being more offside than Burnham who looked like he was also offside.
You're right. Both were guilty.

The CFL stats show Jennings with 2 completions for 70 yards. Did he not also hit Burnham on a seam route for the team's initial 1st down of the game (not via a penalty) a series earlier in the 2nd quarter? I recall Suitor praising him saying those were the throws he was making last year. They are crediting Price with the throw but I don't recall how much he played in the 2nd quarter.
Sammygreene, I think it was 7-11 last season but either way there is a lot less player turnover than you would expect after such a poor season. However, I think that the biggest problem last season was the coaching and it has now been addressed at least partially.
Thanks for the grim reminder Danny. Sure hope you are right. Wally has said over and over again, establishing a winning culture is at the top of the priority list.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lulay was Lulay of post GC. Jennings looks like the real deal, not that he wasn't expected to carry on from last year. Not impressed with the Lions running game last night, but will wait until the regular season to criticize Darazio once again. Plus Riders were able to grind out good chunks of real estate with their ground game. That combination of not being able to run and giving up running yards will cost you many close games.

ST was the highlight of game for me, nice to win the punting, FG, coverage, and return game. Rained ran straight up the middle for positive yards when it was there, not trying to make something out of nothing.

The helmet is attrocious, but is an easy fix. The jersey looks top notch in comparison, and may have been aided by just how bad that helmet looked with it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
maxlion wrote:The announcers said at the beginning that Clarke was playing out of position in Elimimian's spot, which may have been a factor in his play, though it doesn't excuse the dumb penalties..

There were two Clarkes on the field, one at MLB the other at Nickel back.
Thanks. That would account for my confusion.
David
Team Captain

Hard to say "this position group played great" (or badly) which so many players coming in and out, but on the whole I would say the following:

* Secondary looked very good. Sure, Parker played his angle and positioning badly on the deep throw to Denmark, but there were many times Rider QBs had sufficient time but couldn't find an open receiver. Interested to see what the outcome would have been though had a healthy Darian Durant played as much as our first-string.

* D-line (again, on the whole) did not get a very good push. Not disruptive enough, irrespective of the fact we weren't blitzing or stunting. Riders averaged a healthy 5.5 yards per carry last night, and I thought we weren't particularly good against the run from about the 2nd quarter onwards.

* Running game started slowly (not many opportunities in the first half, and not many holes either) but finished well. I can't see a scenario where they don't at least keep Coleman on PR.

* Special Teams looks vastly improved. Leone had an exceptional game. Kick coverage very good as well. I don't understand though putting all the wear and tear on Rainey in a preseason game!

* Quarterbacking accuracy was just not very good last night. I realize it's a timing thing, but you also have to remember that the QBs aren't facing any complex defenses out there in preseason. It should be like pitch and catch. Sorry, I love the guy, but aside from the lovely arcing pass that led Burnham perfectly (that was called back), Travis was awful, no matter how much Suitor tried to build him up.

We really struggled with Gaines at right tackle....I really don't get the rationale behind moving a natural tackle like Hunter Steward (and a good one at that) to guard. Levi Adcock better be playing at an all-star level.....think of the depth we're going to have at linebacker this year with Biggie, Solly, Lokombo, and DyShawn Davis....George Uko was a bit of a disappointment at DT.....but I thought 2nd round pick Anthony Thompson looks like a baller.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:The announcers said at the beginning that Clarke was playing out of position in Elimimian's spot, which may have been in his play, though it doesn't excuse the dumb penalties.

I didn't like our offensive scheme at all last night. It was the same 2014 Khari Jones spread offence with very little motion...just the waggle with the slotbacks. I realize its just exhibition and keeping things close to the vest but still there were trends that were concerning.

On defence, we played a lot of basic four man rush and used a 3 man front on longer passing downs at times whereas the Riders were already using a lot of different blitz packages.

Travis had his good plays and bad....his arm looked much healthier, with lots of zip on throws.. but he also looked hesistant at other times and continued his penchant for rolling away to his right when he felt pressure. I have a sense that McGhee is the odd man out for the third string spot, losing to Price, even though I would prefer McGhee.

It will be interesting to see whether its Burnham or Boldewijn who starts the season. Geroy really likes Jeffers-Harris and so do I but likely Jeffers-Harris will be on the practice roster on opening day of the regular season.

I
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Hard to say "this position group played great" (or badly) which so many players coming in and out, but on the whole I would say the following:

* Secondary looked very good. Sure, Parker played his angle and positioning badly on the deep throw to Denmark, but there were many times Rider QBs had sufficient time but couldn't find an open receiver. Interested to see what the outcome would have been though had a healthy Darian Durant played as much as our first-string.

* D-line (again, on the whole) did not get a very good push. Not disruptive enough, irrespective of the fact we weren't blitzing or stunting. Riders averaged a healthy 5.5 yards per carry last night, and I thought we weren't particularly good against the run from about the 2nd quarter onwards.

* Running game started slowly (not many opportunities in the first half, and not many holes either) but finished well. I can't see a scenario where they don't at least keep Coleman on PR.

* Special Teams looks vastly improved. Leone had an exceptional game. Kick coverage very good as well. I don't understand though putting all the wear and tear on Rainey in a preseason game!

* Quarterbacking accuracy was just not very good last night. I realize it's a timing thing, but you also have to remember that the QBs aren't facing any complex defenses out there in preseason. It should be like pitch and catch. Sorry, I love the guy, but aside from the lovely arcing pass that led Burnham perfectly (that was called back), Travis was awful, no matter how much Suitor tried to build him up.

We really struggled with Gaines at right tackle....I really don't get the rationale behind moving a natural tackle like Hunter Steward (and a good one at that) to guard. Levi Adcock better be playing at an all-star level.....think of the depth we're going to have at linebacker this year with Biggie, Solly, Lokombo, and DyShawn Davis....George Uko was a bit of a disappointment at DT.....but I thought 2nd round pick Anthony Thompson looks like a baller.

DH :cool:
I'm thinking that the rational behind Hunter at guard is that they do not have LT backup that can dress and play if Jovan is injured. So Hunter can move to LT in a pinch and then the backup guard comes in off the bench.

My other theory is that down the road when Vaillencourt is ready to start at guard and back up LT, then Hunter shifts over to LT and Jovan back to his old spot RT. OTOH Vaillencourt might be groomed for centre, but not if Husband pans out.

Edit:I have corrected my dyslexic error and now have LT for Jovan and LG for Hunter..
Last edited by DanoT on Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.