Lions 28 - Riders 16 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:Sammygreene, I think it was 7-11 last season but either way there is a lot less player turnover than you would expect after such a poor season. However, I think that the biggest problem last season was the coaching and it has now been addressed at least partially.

While I spent most of last season asking "When will the Tedford Influence show up?" and of course it never did, his legacy will be the guy who recognized the talent and potential in Jennings when others didn't.
I think the reason for so little turnover is that a big factor in the 7-11 record was the youth and inexperience in the lineup. In 2015 there were a lot of starters who were 1st and 2nd year players. These guys are now 2nd and 3rd year players. Sticking with these guys as they continue to develop to me is very important. That's what excites me about this club. A lot of people assess the offseason in terms of who are the newcomers and is there net gain when comparing them to the departures. To me the biggest gain comes in the year of development and experience the young guys got last year. They all come back a year older, wiser and more experienced than they were at this time last year which should mean internal upgrades, even if small, for several positions.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:Geroy really likes Jeffers-Harris and so do I but likely Jeffers-Harris will be on the practice roster on opening day of the regular season.
I think Jeffers-Harris is at the point where he either has to make the 46 or will be cut. He turns 28 the day before the Lions season opener. If he doesn't secure a roster spot it may be time to move on and keep the PR spot for a younger player.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

DanoT wrote: OTOH Vaillencourt might be groomed for centre, but not if Husband pans out.
That's what I thought was the idea. Vaillencourt may pass ahead of Husband either way eventually if the reviews on him are correct .
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
DanoT wrote: OTOH Vaillencourt might be groomed for centre, but not if Husband pans out.
That's what I thought was the idea. Vaillencourt may pass ahead of Husband either way eventually if the reviews on him are correct .
Wally indicated CV might be ready to start. Guard? Centre? Could be either. Built like a centre. He might be ahead of Steward in preparedness for work at guard.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Does anyone know why Anthony Allen didn't play? Was he injured?

Coleman looked really quick hitting the holes but he is tiny.

Jeremiah is short but runs like a big guy and scored a lot of short yardage TDs last year.

Allen is the big guy but if he is injured now, then he might start the season on the IR list.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Does anyone know why Anthony Allen didn't play? Was he injured?
Allen and fellow ex-Rider Levy Adcock have been hobbled by knee injuries. I don't think either is serious but one never knows in preseason.

I'm still waiting to see whether Solomon Elimimian is fully recovered from last season's Achilles injury, as the team claims. He was not dominant on the field when I was in Kamloops last weekend and did not play in Regina.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not too concerned about the offence ....... yet. It's exhibition and teams don't really reveal themselves til the regular season. If they continue to run the bland offence in the regular season then I'll be concerned.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm going to mention a couple of likes and dislikes from what I saw.

First of all, this was a 3-15 team we were playing and their number 1 was not in the game. What we faced were two QB's who looked very unsure of themselves on a team that has basically not played together before.

It was a win yes, and I thought not bad but it is measured somewhat by the fact that most of our points were generated by the kicker and the D. We had one offensive TD and basically played decent ball for 5-10 mins on O.

The running game was pretty absent in the first half. We saw some sparks in the second but it didn't leave me over-enthused.

QB - someone said it best earlier, Price just looked lost. If McGhee gets a decent chance to show his wares in the next game and is even marginally confident, I think Price is the odd man out.

Travis Lulay. Saw good and bad. I'm not too confident about his passing arm when he is on the roll out. He has never been the most accurate passer but when he is on the move, his passes seem short
and or behind. His scramble abilities were always his strength but I'm not seeing that in his current game.

Jennings I though looked good again. He and MA just seem to be in sync.

The Oline seemed to have some coverage issues in the first but on the brighter side in the later stages of the game they appeared to be controlling the LOS and making some room for the running game.

Dump off receiving - gotta have that outlet valve. Too many easy dropped passes last night. Something to work on.

Nice to see Gore get a TD. With Hawkins gone, he is going to have to be a key guy this season.
Secondary receiving, not quite sure yet, no one stood out although Jeffers Harris did make and amazing grab on the sidelines.

D - Line looked reasonable although they missed a couple of finishes. At least there was steady pressure.
Secondary - looked pretty good but with the QB's the Riders were playing, I might have looked ok. Hard to read but Yell's open field running was good and Lee was good.

Biggie was his usual dominant self, can't say the other LB's stood out for me much but I can't say they got badly exposed either. In general, I thought they looked competent.

The Teams. - kick team cover looked better than I have seen in recent years. I find that prospect heartening. Rainey looked pretty decent on returns and had one terrific over the should catch on one punt. I'm not worried there but I would like to see what else they for that position because if they plan on using Rainey as an RB as well, they need someone else who is decent. Maybe they are thinking they have Iainuzzi as a fall back if nothing else pans out.

All in all, a good, positive start. Better than in recent years. I can't wait for next week's tilt.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally mentioned J.C. Coleman, DyShawn Davis and Darius Allen today as players who impressed him in the game and in camp. No surprises there, but getting praise from Wally carries a lot more weight than getting it from us on this board.
COLEMAN EXCITES: One surprising development, Buono would concede, is the play of rookie running back J.C. Coleman. Running against the tide of initial expectations, the diminutive (5’ 6’, 190 pounds) scatback from Virginia Tech is difficult to track from the moment he leaves the dorm room. He had 32 yards on seven carries late in the game of Saturday night — 28-16 pre-season victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

“He hasn’t been given a lot of reps since the start of rookie camp (May 26) because all the regular backs were there (Jeremiah Johnson, Chris Rainey, Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, Anthony Allen),” Buono explained. “When it was time to run the football, he did. And he’s a tough little guy. He’s very strong, with great vision.”

Buono also had high praise for rookie linebacker Dyshawn Davis (seven defensive tackles against Saskatchewan) and the relentless effort of defensive end candidate Darius Allen, who had a sack (minus-12 yards) after initially being knocked to the turf.

“Is it surprising?” Buono said. “It just confirms what we’ve seen in training camp.”
Mike Beamish article
DanoT
Hall of Famer

In an earlier post I referred to Coleman as tiny. I would like to retract that statement because at 190lbs that is not tiny even if you are only 5'6".
VictoriaFan
Starter

I think I saw little shaq carry the ball for a loss, never been impressed by him, he could be cut and I wouldn't miss him
CardiacKid
Legend

The biggest thing I took away from the game was Leone's performance and in particular, his purrfect place-kicking. It's hard to offer any thing truly definitive in regards to how certain aspects of the team looked because of how the game was approached and managed by both coaches but I think you can say Leone has improved the weakest aspect of his game.
As for the rest of the special teams, they appeared to have very good hustle but I would hope that would be the case for guys who may only get a job based on their work ethic and hustle on the teams.
I am not going to get too caught up in how the running game went as they simply had too few touches of the ball. The O-Line looked solid but the Riders didn't play Capicciotti or Norwood so how tested was the O-Line? I have no doubt the secondary will be solid but I won't base it on what they faced in Regina with Smith and the other guy looking really sub-standard.

Aside from Leone, Jennings looks to still be a calm presence in the pocket who makes good, quick decisions when needed. He had good zip on the ball so I am going to guess his mechanics are still good. :thup: Biggie still has his hustle and the ability to straighten up running backs who have a full head of steam. :thup: Aside from his drop of a Lulay pass, Johnson was solid and had a good average. I was happy to see how he hit the line hard and kept this legs churning; essentially his trademark from with Ottawa (but I am biased, I am a big fan of Johnson and hope he gets featured this season). :thup: And I hope Jeffers-Harris does get some work next game...he muffed one throw but made a great effort on that circus catch he made that was called back on a penalty. We need to see what he can truly do.

One last thing; I really like Al Bradbury as a ref and hope more and more of the officials follow his lead. Good explanations of the calls, quick decisions and he keeps the flow going as best he can. Yes, there were a lot of annoying penalties but those were entirely on the players....got to say the refs got the calls right and there wasn't any egregious errors.

Oh and truly the last thing......should Wally be wearing a headset? If only to help with making challenges. I know it isn't his habit but times change.
Blitz
Team Captain

Good to see Darius Allan have a good game and push Bazzie and Roh. Our defence, especially since we usually rush four, needs to have a defensive end who can get consistent pressure on the opposing quarterback. If we can't do that, the ball hawks in our secondary are negated and good opposition quarterbacks will find the weak spots in our zone defence.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
D
Team Captain

I heard a rumour ... OK I'm starting a rumour :wink:
The reason for the long blackout is because when they plugged in the amplifier for the canned crowd noise it blew the circuit breaker... take that Rod Pederson
I own The Grey Cup! .com
DanoT
Hall of Famer

D wrote:I heard a rumour ... OK I'm starting a rumour :wink:
The reason for the long blackout is because when they plugged in the amplifier for the canned crowd noise it blew the circuit breaker... take that Rod Pederson
Crowd noise is amplified in BC Place Stadium...just not by the Lions, but instead it is amplified and distorted by the acoustics of the stadium itself. I guess Rod never went to a concert at B.C. Place. I once saw Bob Dylan there and with his voice the lousy acoustics didn't matter.

I wonder what the new stadium in Regina will be like acoustically ?