2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder where is Rod Peterson in all of this ? Rider apologist.
Rod Podge still has yet to weigh in with his opinion but Rob Vanstone of the Regina Leader Post has written a fairly damning article where he has little good to say about Jones. He frames his article within the context of the RoughRider code of conduct and its various points; he essentially gives a Jones a failing grade on all of them.

He also damns Jones for his lack of contrition and accountability.

Not an angle I would have expected from a Regina sports journalist but good on him. Hopefully a pile of cow manure doesn't wind up on his lawn.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/c ... um=twitter
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote: Rod Podge still has yet to weigh in with his opinion but Rob Vanstone of the Regina Leader Post has written a fairly damning article where he has little good to say about Jones. He frames his article within the context of the RoughRider code of conduct and its various points; he essentially gives a Jones a failing grade on all of them.

Not an angle I would have expected from a Regina sports journalist but good on him. Hopefully a pile of cow manure doesn't wind up on his lawn.
Jones has shown a lot of arrogance. He has no doubt made enemies. You can get away with this when you are winning. He had best not lose the players, nor the fans in Regina. His fall could be fast. I thought he would do better than he
has out of the gate there. Too bad. Ha ha

I did not like it when he would not shake hands with his opponent post game.

Had times for Jones? Too bad.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
CardiacKid wrote: Rod Podge still has yet to weigh in with his opinion but Rob Vanstone of the Regina Leader Post has written a fairly damning article where he has little good to say about Jones. He frames his article within the context of the RoughRider code of conduct and its various points; he essentially gives a Jones a failing grade on all of them.

Jones has shown a lot of arrogance. He has no doubt made enemies. You can get away with this when you are winning. He had best not lose the players, nor the fans in Regina. His fall could be fast. I thought he would do better than he
has out of the gate there. Too bad. Ha ha

I did not like it when he would not shake hands with his opponent post game.

Had times for Jones? Too bad.
Also recall Jones not having his Esks out on the field for the singing of the national anthem. Arrogant is not a strong enough description for Jones. Now with all the power he assumed in Saskatchewan, he has taken his arrogance to the next level. He is showing signs of desperation within his control to improve the Riders, a team he personally dismantled the leadership in the off season. To be clear, he he took as much power in the front office as a HC can get, covering all his team decisions and then by eliminating core players, he took on the role of team leader as well. Am I sorry to see this result at this stage of the season...absolutely not. I didn't care for him in Edmonton where he was arrogant, and even less nowvwith the corruption he has deployed in Regina.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I like the fact that Jones struggles to accept blame or real responsibility other than on a superficial level and leaves it up to the Riders CEO who is not running the football side of things to take the full blame. Just another Jones character flaw revealed for all to see.

Jones=great coach
Jones= rookie GM with lots of missteps and outright mistakes; not good at delegating decisions or authority to others; lack of a measured, balanced approach; doesn't appear to have much of an upside. Likely to struggle at times in the future attracting free agents. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Power corrupts; absolute powers corrupts absolutely.
CardiacKid
Legend

Did anyone happen to see if Jones went out to mingle and congratulate Dickensen afterwards?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Did anyone happen to see if Jones went out to mingle and congratulate Dickensen afterwards?
lol x 10. They showed the 2 of them after the game and the TSN guys suggested that Jones was yapping while Dave looked to be sort of smiling in disbelief. So for sure it wasn't cordial.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Did anyone happen to see if Jones went out to mingle and congratulate Dickensen afterwards?
lol x 10. They showed the 2 of them after the game and the TSN guys suggested that Jones was yapping while Dave looked to be sort of smiling in disbelief. So for sure it wasn't cordial.
Well it looks like Jones was possessed by Hope Solo at the end of the game. It has been reported and pretty much confirmed that Jones told Dickensen to "Win with some class". I think they would call him a turd blossom back home in Tennessee.

More and more Jones reminds me of Jose Mourinho. Despite his superb resume as a winning coach, Mourinho never lasts more than 3 years with any team; he burns bridges, is insufferable, players bail on him because he never takes the blame, arrogant as hell and doesn't care how his antics reflect on a team (Mourinho even went as far as to attempt to gouge an eye out of an opposing coach. A coach who happened to have just survived cancer).
So while Jones hasn't assaulted anyone, this loosing streak keeps up and Dave Dickensen just may have to wear a full face shield next time they play each other.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jones seem to be on his way to becoming a pariah in the CFL
aklawitter
All Star

Is Chris Jones going to join Adam Rita on the very short list of coaches who won a Grey Cup and didn't even make it (fired) through the next season?
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Apparently Jones was upset with Michell's antics after his long bomb late in the game. Michell was mouthing off at the Rider bench as he went by. I guess Jones wasn't a happy camper and must be the poster boy of a coach winning with class, so her just wanted DD to move up to that standard. Of course it is easier to do so when you don't have to be that winning HC very often. /sarcasm
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Apparently Jones was upset with Michell's antics after his long bomb late in the game. Michell was mouthing off at the Rider bench as he went by. I guess Jones wasn't a happy camper and must be the poster boy of a coach winning with class, so her just wanted DD to move up to that standard. Of course it is easier to do so when you don't have to be that winning HC very often. /sarcasm
So, post game we have the loosing coach who is the least classiest guy in the CFL and currently in hot water with the league telling the classiest guy in the CFL to win with class. Feeling the pressure much Jonesy?

Jones who already has a target on his back is going to take more criticism from the media on this one. OTOH maybe he is trying to deflect criticism away from his players and onto himself...no wait, he doesn't have enough class to do that. :wink:
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Jones seem to be on his way to becoming a pariah in the CFL
Unfortunately there are people in this world who wear the mantle of being a pariah as confirmation they are doing things right and that is their vindication.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Riders fined again

http://www.tsn.ca/riders-again-fined-by ... n-1.546337
Well Rod Podge couldn't keep his inner Trump under wraps any longer. Rod Pedersen has put on his Big Boy Press Hat on and wore out his shoe leather as he hit the pavement, tapping his sources and putting his impeccable reputation, perhaps even his life, on the line to drop this Watergate-type bombshell via Twitter.

"Orridge low on lunch money. CFL flagged for Piling On. Who still thinks there's no conspiracy against the Riders?"

This last missive from the Riderville primo TCF (Trash Can Fire) is in response to the latest round of fines. Gonna have to read his "Monday Morning Goalie" to see if he catches those conspirators red-handed.

In other news, the Riders have hired former Trump national spokes-numpty...er, spokesperson Katrina Pierson to put the spin out there for the StubbleTrumpers.... :tease: :tease: :tease: :rules: :rules: