2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Received a playoff ticket reminder letter in the mail for the Lions yesterday, that extended the season ticket holders deadline to secure their seats until Monday (Nov. 7) then they will be released to the public. As expected they are first trying to lock up many of those as they can but it's going to be a real tight window to sell a potential Western Semi-Final game.

Should they win Saturday, it would be wise of them to open 2-3 ticket windows outside BC Place after the game to start selling ASAP.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Huge Talent wrote:Of course the WSF is scheduled the same time as a Canucks home game (1:30pm). So now I have to choose (hopefully). I suppose its mostly beyond the team's control, but surely they could have lobbied for a 4pm start. Then you'd get many from the Nucks game, coming over nicely warmed up and buzzed. Instead, the Lions have to compete for a scarce number of Vancouver sports fans. Given its a playoff game, i'll choose lions - but that's because i'm a STH, not just a casual fan. I now have to sell my canucks tix, as would any other full or partial STH of the nucks.. This is a hassle that many won't bother doing. This will cost them at the gate.
They could've lobbied but the game times but I think the reaction from TSN and the CFL would've been 5% sympathy and 95% laughter. The semi-finals were etched in stone when the schedule was sent out. TSN and the CFL will want the playoff games out in double header format to both capture and keep the viewers' attention versus having a gap of a couple of hours that gives folks opportunity to leave and not come back for the second game. The only thing that could've changed was playing the WSF in the earlier time slot and the ESF in the later time slot and that was never going to be a consideration. Besides that the host broadcaster TSN, who has other commitments they spend a lot of money on, carries NFL Sunday Night Football. They will be showing the Seahawks/Patriots game, a game which should draw some of the best SNF ratings they will see all season. It kicks off roughly 45 minutes after the WSF ends making it a triple header of football action for TSN.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Qman wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Why would the Canucks schedule a home game at 1:30 p.m. on a Sunday in November opposite the CFL playoffs? The playoff games are held at the same time each year, and they're the most watched games of the year outside of the Grey Cup. Even if the Lions aren't playing at home, they're bound to outdraw the Canucks on TV.
WTF .. why are the canucks scheduling afternoon sunday games. their normal sunday start time is 6pm. Afternoon NHL hockey is uncanadian.

What the hell? When was the last time the Canucks even played a home game on a A Sunday at 1 pm? Just bizarre. In the teeth of football on both sides of the border. Almost smells of Rogers wanting that start time to counter all the football they are up against.

At least no conflict with the Seahawks. Prime time Sunday game at New England.
It may have been a lot more to do with the Stars than the Canucks. The NHL has somewhat of a compressed schedule this year and that particular week is already brutal enough for Dallas. The Vancouver game is the last of a 5 game road trip and will be their 6th game in 9 days. They play in Calgary and Edmonton on the Thursday and Friday then fly back home from Vancouver for a tilt versus New Jersey on Tuesday, their 7th game in 11 days. The 1:00 start is probably to help ease the travel burden for Dallas. It should get them back home before midnight CST versus 5am CST if the game was at 6.

Selfishly I'm happy for the Canuck game being at the same time. It gives me a Plan B. On Monday I was looking into airfares from Fort St. John (I'll be working here through to December) to Vancouver. There were decent rates coming down Saturday returning late Sunday night. Then I started thinking yeah there's good rates now but what will they be like come the time BC might secure that home date? I hummed and hawed trying to decide whether to wait until the results were known or gamble that BC will host. I said screw it. If the Bombers win and the Lions soil the sheets I'll at least have a hockey game to fall back on so I booked. Got in for $450 return. Cheapest fare this morning is up to $500.
WestCoast
prospect

We moved from Vancouver about 30 years ago, in that time I have been able to take in a couple of game a year, play-off and GC for sure. No more though. I will not go to the Dome for a game again, Way, way too much advertising your bombarded with.
David
Team Captain

Westcoast wrote:We moved from Vancouver about 30 years ago, in that time I have been able to take in a couple of game a year, play-off and GC for sure. No more though. I will not go to the Dome for a game again, Way, way too much advertising your bombarded with.
Okay, I'll bite. How is there more advertising vs watching on TV at home? I suppose one could PVR and skip them (which is what I do for most sporting events but never Lions games. I have to watch those "live").

I'll grant you the ribbon around B.C. Place can be a tad distracting, but in a small league that requires as many revenue streams as possible, advertising is not something that would ever prevent me from going to a game. To each his own I guess.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Westcoast wrote:We moved from Vancouver about 30 years ago, in that time I have been able to take in a couple of game a year, play-off and GC for sure. No more though. I will not go to the Dome for a game again, Way, way too much advertising your bombarded with.
Okay, I'll bite. How is there more advertising vs watching on TV at home? I suppose one could PVR and skip them (which is what I do for most sporting events but never Lions games. I have to watch those "live").

I'll grant you the ribbon around B.C. Place can be a tad distracting, but in a small league that requires as many revenue streams as possible, advertising is not something that would ever prevent me from going to a game. To each his own I guess.

I would be very concerned if there was little or no advertising as I think it is great that there are corporations that feel it is good for their business to advertise with the Lions and willing to pay $ to do so. OTOH the Lions could do away with advertising and make up the financial shortfall with higher ticket prices. :wink:
dawg3648
Rookie

Seriously? LOL..never heard that excuse before. I'm guessing you're a borderline fan at best if this is your excuse. Or perhaps not a fan at all but just trollin'???... Every major stadium/arena in N.A. has as much if not more advertising than BC Place. It is a sign of the times. We have a fabulous stadium and I will be there in person today soaking up the atmosphere live as it should be experienced. I'll try not to let ALL that advertising interfere with my enjoyment!
DanoT
Hall of Famer

dawg3648 wrote:Seriously? LOL..never heard that excuse before. I'm guessing you're a borderline fan at best if this is your excuse. Or perhaps not a fan at all but just trollin'???... Every major stadium/arena in N.A. has as much if not more advertising than BC Place. It is a sign of the times. We have a fabulous stadium and I will be there in person today soaking up the atmosphere live as it should be experienced. I'll try not to let ALL that advertising interfere with my enjoyment!
Yup. Westcoast doesn't sound very West Coast. Probably not a Nascar fan either or like you say probably doesn't follow other pro sports either. :violin:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Pretty good article on the Argos market situation by Lawless. A few points translate to the Lions' situation.

In the pursuit of relevance in Canada’s most cluttered metro sports market, the Toronto Argonauts need to think small and slow, not big and fast.

Spending huge marketing dollars is a poor investment for the franchise at this stage. This needs to be a grassroots fix, one fan at a time. It’s not sexy, it’s not quick, and it won’t be easy.

Filming a 30-second spot and hoping it will make rain or buying billboards around Toronto isn’t working. More money and more advertising buys won’t result in a new flood of Argos fans. They can’t be convinced with a slogan or a commercial.

The Argos need to be honest about where they are right now and it isn’t a great place. They’re at or near the bottom in the market in terms of fan interest.

The Argos need to develop a sustainable way to fill the stadium. The football isn’t minor league, but the Argos’ place in the Toronto market is that of a second-tier operation. They’re currently closer to TFC or the Marlies than they are the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays or Raptors.

That’s the perception, so accept it as reality and deal with it. A lot of minor-league franchises flourish in major markets. The Chicago Wolves and St. Paul Saints come to mind.

How do they do it? Group sales.

The Argos have a huge advantage in this area. They need to sell only 10 or so dates per season. Their games are on national television. They have a history and a new stadium.

Fill the place for the next five years by going to companies, school boards and organizations and selling the you-know-what out of the Argos. One hundred tickets at a time. Make the ticket department the heart of the franchise. Hire the person who sells the tickets at the best-run group sales department in Canada or the U.S. and put him or her to work.

They will succeed. It works. It’s proven. It’s not as easy as opening the doors and having people buy season tickets, but it’s the first step.

At the same time, be great both on the field and off.

Don’t try to chase an overnight winner. Develop Canadian talent and a young quarterback to build around. It would be nice to have Zach Collaros or Trevor Harris still in the fold, but that’s another story.

Traditional media has turned away from the Argos. The reality is shrinking budgets have caused media to turn away from a lot of content. The focus in Toronto goes to the Leafs, Raptors and Jays because those teams drive consumption. The Argos need to accept that media has changed.

Take this responsibility into your own hands. Hire young and talented people to build an NFL-style team website. Make www.argonauts.ca a destination for unique team news and features. No one else in the Toronto marketplace is telling your story, so do it yourself. Use social and digital media to distribute content differently.

The Argos have ownership willing to invest and the patience to keep the operation stable while a brand rebuild takes place. Fill the stadium for a few years with group sales, put a winning product on the field and organically people will start to re-invest in the team, both emotionally and financially.

It’s been a 30-year slide to get to this point. Changing stadiums and ownership was never going to create a one-year fix. The Argos were at rock bottom when they limped out of Rogers Centre. It’s time to admit this and adjust the way the team thinks of itself as an entity. It’s time to find a new basic.

http://www.tsn.ca/slow-and-steady-is-th ... s-1.602223
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Pretty good article on the Argos market situation by Lawless. A few points translate to the Lions' situation.

In the pursuit of relevance in Canada’s most cluttered metro sports market, the Toronto Argonauts need to think small and slow, not big and fast.

Spending huge marketing dollars is a poor investment for the franchise at this stage. This needs to be a grassroots fix, one fan at a time. It’s not sexy, it’s not quick, and it won’t be easy.

Filming a 30-second spot and hoping it will make rain or buying billboards around Toronto isn’t working. More money and more advertising buys won’t result in a new flood of Argos fans. They can’t be convinced with a slogan or a commercial.

The Argos need to be honest about where they are right now and it isn’t a great place. They’re at or near the bottom in the market in terms of fan interest.

The Argos need to develop a sustainable way to fill the stadium. The football isn’t minor league, but the Argos’ place in the Toronto market is that of a second-tier operation. They’re currently closer to TFC or the Marlies than they are the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays or Raptors.

That’s the perception, so accept it as reality and deal with it. A lot of minor-league franchises flourish in major markets. The Chicago Wolves and St. Paul Saints come to mind.

How do they do it? Group sales.

The Argos have a huge advantage in this area. They need to sell only 10 or so dates per season. Their games are on national television. They have a history and a new stadium.

Fill the place for the next five years by going to companies, school boards and organizations and selling the you-know-what out of the Argos. One hundred tickets at a time. Make the ticket department the heart of the franchise. Hire the person who sells the tickets at the best-run group sales department in Canada or the U.S. and put him or her to work.

They will succeed. It works. It’s proven. It’s not as easy as opening the doors and having people buy season tickets, but it’s the first step.

At the same time, be great both on the field and off.

Don’t try to chase an overnight winner. Develop Canadian talent and a young quarterback to build around. It would be nice to have Zach Collaros or Trevor Harris still in the fold, but that’s another story.

Traditional media has turned away from the Argos. The reality is shrinking budgets have caused media to turn away from a lot of content. The focus in Toronto goes to the Leafs, Raptors and Jays because those teams drive consumption. The Argos need to accept that media has changed.

Take this responsibility into your own hands. Hire young and talented people to build an NFL-style team website. Make http://www.argonauts.ca a destination for unique team news and features. No one else in the Toronto marketplace is telling your story, so do it yourself. Use social and digital media to distribute content differently.

The Argos have ownership willing to invest and the patience to keep the operation stable while a brand rebuild takes place. Fill the stadium for a few years with group sales, put a winning product on the field and organically people will start to re-invest in the team, both emotionally and financially.

It’s been a 30-year slide to get to this point. Changing stadiums and ownership was never going to create a one-year fix. The Argos were at rock bottom when they limped out of Rogers Centre. It’s time to admit this and adjust the way the team thinks of itself as an entity. It’s time to find a new basic.

http://www.tsn.ca/slow-and-steady-is-th ... s-1.602223
Discounted group sales might also work for the Lions, as would a free kid ticket with a paid parent promotion, but thinking outside the box and taking chances doesn't seem to be in the Lions DNA on or off the field.

The Als best promotional move would be to hire a french speaking GM (Danny Machocha sp?) and remove the interim tag on a french speaking HC (Chaps). Machocha has a lot more of an out going personality than Chaps and can work the french language media :beauty: and Chaps offensive football knowledge is greater than any other HC prospect out there. :beauty: :beauty:

The Montreal Canadiens are very aware of the need for a french speaking coach and the the Als need to make this a necessity as well. They are in fact blessed to have 2 french speaking qualified guys to fill vacancies and going forward this will not always be the case so the Als should be all over these 2 hires.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote: Discounted group sales might also work for the Lions, as would a free kid ticket with a paid parent promotion, but thinking outside the box and taking chances doesn't seem to be in the Lions DNA on or off the field.

The Als best promotional move would be to hire a french speaking GM (Danny Machocha sp?) and remove the interim tag on a french speaking HC (Chaps). Machocha has a lot more of an out going personality than Chaps and can work the french language media :beauty: and Chaps offensive football knowledge is greater than any other HC prospect out there. :beauty: :beauty:

The Montreal Canadiens are very aware of the need for a french speaking coach and the the Als need to make this a necessity as well. They are in fact blessed to have 2 french speaking qualified guys to fill vacancies and going forward this will not always be the case so the Als should be all over these 2 hires.
Maciocia is in one of those situations with U of Montreal Carabins where the job is his for as long as he wants it. Listening to Sekeres and Price talking to Suitor about it yesterday it sounded like Maciocia had commented to the effect of being lukewarm to the idea having turned down other offers in the past couple years.

The comments/sentences in Lawless' article that caught my eye were:

Spending huge marketing dollars is a poor investment for the franchise at this stage.

No one else in the Toronto marketplace is telling your story, so do it yourself. Use social and digital media to distribute content differently.

almo89
Legend

Just saw on the Lions facebook page that season ticket holders will get 25% cash back if they refer a friend to get season tickets. You get 25% for every friend you refer. Pretty interesting promotion. Not sure if it'll work but at least it's something coming out of the marketing department and they are trying new things.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If I recall correctly, they tried the same tactic couple of years back although it wasn't a 25% cashback.
B.C. bound
prospect

I agree with this quoted post from B.C. Lion's site:

Jimbo • 13 hours ago
Love the footage but what's with the soundtrack?
"lyrics" referencing crystal meth for football highlights!?
If you're trying to attract younger fans at the expense of alienating your older fans, job well done!!
Ottawa RR's tried the same the thing back in the eighties. My father and other lifelong season ticket holders answered with their wallets. You know what happened next. I really don't want to see that happen.
18K for a playoff game with the crazy talent we have on the field!? The football isn't the problem. Crap marketing is!!
Give your head a shake, just source out some no royalty high energy guitar-drums riff and call it done.
Go Lions!!!!!
A great Sunday ahead!!

This was left on the comment section of the Lion's video recap of the season.
David
Team Captain

As SammyGreene and I predicted, significant talk radio air time has been spent dissecting the small crowd for the WDF. Bmac, Donnie, and the Moj had a segment on this. Interestingly, it was intended to be a Virtanen/Canucks discussion, but every caller seemed to way in on the Lions.

Give it a listen (you can ff through the commercial breaks and get to the Lions talk). Some ideas/thoughts from callers:

* Steal ideas from other cities. Regina has free transit on game days. Club should subsidize Translink for ticket holders for home games.
* Bring buses out to the burbs and bus fans in.
* Free tickets for kids.
* Drafting is atrocious - club ignored 4 qualified (local) UBC players. Why?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... 4-1.610018

Roar, You Lions, Roar