Steven Clarke is re-signing with the Leos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

Defensive back Steven Clarke has agreed to terms on a one-year contract that will bring him back to B.C., per CFL sources.

The 25-year-old cover man started 15 games last year in which he recorded 48 tackles, one interception, one forced fumble and one sack in a breakout campaign with the Leos. An impressive 2015 season garnered NFL interest.

Clarke worked out for the Vikings and Titans in December before they signed him in January. However, in early May he was waived by Tennessee, worked out for the Carolina Panthers, but no contract was offered. That led to Clarke returning to the Left coast.

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/23/leos- ... en-clarke/
David
Team Captain

Wow, have things ever come up roses for the Leos these past 3-4 weeks! It seems like one good news story after the other.

:rockin:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

and i thought i saw a tweet that he is back for way under $ he was offered in December. one year deal now though

he was victimized alot last season. Lets see if he makes it through camp.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

06/17/14 - CB Steven Clark, the undrafted rookie from Vanderbilt, seems to be getting a chance to turn heads. He lined up with the first-team kickoff coverage unit in Tuesday's minicamp and he also got a look at second-team nickel (slot) defensive back. Clarke plays fast and doesn't seem lost, although Tuesday was his first extended action with the first- and second-team units. His best chance for making the 53-man roster would be on special teams. At best, Clarke is third-team nickel DB behind starter Jimmy Wilson and backup Jamar Taylor. It's a crowded picture in the secondary, mostly loaded with veterans. But the fact Clarke seems to have the attention of Dolphins coaches before training camp begins bodes well.
08/29/13 - CB Steven Clarke, a likely starter, has missed most of August's practices with an undisclosed injury. His status is unknown. - The Sports Xchange
He has some talent.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Wow, have things ever come up roses for the Leos these past 3-4 weeks! It seems like one good news story after the other.

:rockin:

Except for the uniforms. Right? :rotf:
The_Pauser
Legend

Meh. Didn't think much of him last year to be honest. Didn't mind losing him to the NFL. Oh well.
Roar you Lions roar!
maxlion
Legend

I felt he played pretty well and showed promise as a first year starter last year. He just turned 25 so is still a young'un. I was a bit surprised that the NFL came calling for him, but glad to see he's back.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:Except for the uniforms. Right?
Haha, well yea, there's that. Sort of a big, orange elephant in the room. :wink:

Really don't mind the new home unis, would like them much more if they had traditional logo or paw on the helmet. Road unis though? #Fail.

But at the very least, it's had people talking about the club as a lead-in to training camp. Getting the CTV weather person (Ann Luu) to wear one on a live telecast was a coup.

As for Clarke, yea, I am not saying this is "the" re-signing of the off-season. But at the very least it's potential depth. If a rookie can beat him out of a starting cornerback job, it's going to make our secondary that much better. As for comments that he was burned a lot last year, cornerback is a tough position for a rookie to master in the CFL, especially at field corner with so much ground to cover.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
cromartie wrote:Except for the uniforms. Right?
Haha, well yea, there's that. Sort of a big, orange elephant in the room. :wink:

Really don't mind the new home unis, would like them much more if they had traditional logo or paw on the helmet. Road unis though? #Fail.

But at the very least, it's had people talking about the club as a lead-in to training camp. Getting the CTV weather person (Ann Luu) to wear one on a live telecast was a coup.

As for Clarke, yea, I am not saying this is "the" re-signing of the off-season. But at the very least it's potential depth. If a rookie can beat him out of a starting cornerback job, it's going to make our secondary that much better. As for comments that he was burned a lot last year, cornerback is a tough position for a rookie to master in the CFL, especially at field corner with so much ground to cover.

i think this is a test for the depth that wally brought in during the offseason. If Clarke easily makes the team, then they didn't do a good job recruiting. If he's cut or barely makes the team, Wally's scouts did a good job.
Lionsfan65
Starter

four out of 5 spots are pretty much set in the backfield. Clarke did get beat a lot last year, but you can't win them all. Considering he was forced into action after Phillips' injury, I thought he did a pretty decent job, especially after they moved him to corner.
Wally bought in a whole bunch of rookie international dbs, so that will be an interesting competition to watch.