Uniform Poll Question - Reebok or Adidas?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Now that you've seen the new uniforms, which would you choose?

A) Lose them! There was nothing wrong with the previous design, especially with the futuristic 3rd uniform (which we may never see again).
51%
B) Keep them! This is an attractive, slick, and futuristic design, and it's a way to reach out to younger fans.
49%

Total votes: 43
David
Team Captain

D wrote:I thought the reeboks were kind of lame other than the gun metal 3rd ... So I voted for the new look even tho I'm not fond of the white version

Haha, maybe I should have included a 3rd option, D.

"Neither. They both suck." :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

D wrote:Like we have a say :tease:
We have a say in whether we buy more jerseys and tickets. I decided beforehand that I wouldn't buy a new jersey and I'm already buying as many tickets as I can use so my opinion doesn't matter.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Will be interesting to see which player will be the most popular when it comes to ordering the new jerseys. Bighill the safest bet based on star power and longevity too. League shop also promoting Arecenaux and Jennings. The latter has most potential but small body of work to invest $200. Then there's Elliminian coming off a major injury.
Alputt
Champion

If the new jerseys lost the orange sleeve stripe and the tramp stamp they would be great... However had to vote Reebok. Still not sold on the helmet logo, especially in the "away" version.
Alputt
Champion

I realize many disliked the gun metal grey because of the black numbers, here is a simple solution: orange numbers outlined in black.

That would have been a great direction to take it in my opinion, and they could have orange pants/helmets to keep the traditional orange theme.

Frankly those gun-metal jerseys were the only "cool" thing the Lions have done from the perspective of the casual/non-fan millennial type for a few years. I think they dropped the ball on these uni's to not even have the theme for a 3rd jersey, as other teams have released 3rds. I see people around town on non-game days wearing the grey one way more often than the orange, you can wear it out and not look like you are directing traffic at a road construction site!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was hoping for a gun metal type jersey with orange numbers and some orange accents.

The new jerseys don't do it for me but maybe they will look better on players on the field. Maybe the new jersey will grow on me, but it is not something that i would spend $200 plus on.
dtrain
Starter

i agree that gun metals unis would have great if they great orange numbers.
in fact i plan on numbering my freebie gun metal jersey that way.

anyone else think they should have gone with orange cages on black helmets?
(like the 70's throwback we had at Empire Field - outstanding lids!)
never been a fan of the one colour helmet/cage look.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Group 6: Put down the crayons and just walk away
9 (or 1). The B.C. Lions

This re-design evoked two reactions, either people loved it or hated it. Vancouver is the land of hipster beards and pot dispensaries so it’s hardly surprising that the new Lions get up looks like the work of a fashion designer whose had one hash brownie too many. When adidas was announced as the new apparel sponsor, the fear was that every CFL uniform would like something like this.

So yeah, it could have been worse. -- Drew Edwards
This fan does not like the helmet art work. The jersey -- just OK (hard to read the numbers, it seems to me). The football pants look OK.

The work of Rich Koh --> :thdn:

From Lowell Ullrich ...

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/12/lions ... -to-socks/
“We decided to go from top to socks,” said Skulsky, whose team did a nice job of creating anticipation for the unveiling. “The biggest thought was to look at the future. It’s about the younger generation; a refresh. This is a new era and that’s part of us being the youngest team in the league last year. It’s going to be interesting to see the response.”

To a small extent, that would suggest that both Skulsky and owner David Braley aren’t completely warm and fuzzy about changing what for the most part has worked over the years, a point taken by the club president, who knows he doesn’t represent the target demographic.

“This (redesign) might not appeal to me, but that’s good,” Skulsky said.

“We’re not entirely there (with the changes) but we both understand that (Lions staffers) are making good points (about changing),”
Young team. Young generation? LOL Dennis out of touch? Ummm, yeah. Does not appeal to Dennis? :dizzy:

Skulsky and Braley not warm and fuzzy about changing what has worked for years? :dizzy:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The whites --> Ughhhh. Looks like a cheapy high school design to me. Is that orange or red?

The homies --> Dark. No lights in the studio? Numbers obscured in the dark. Same on the field? The uniforms might look kind of tough. But the helmets? Ughh ...

Gimme the dayum paw.

The gun metals from earlier look good. Just make the numbers orange.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe it's my eyes, but the road uniforms looks red to me.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Maybe it's my eyes, but the road uniforms looks red to me.
Viewed in every way--TV, online video, still photos--I agree, the shade of orange for the roads is closer to red than it should be.
David
Team Captain

Why am I not surprised? sj-roc and I have long contended this is a rudderless organization when it comes to the QC of their brand. They've been allowing various shades of orange licensed apparel (often for the same item!) to appear on retail shelves for far too long, so why should they have one consistent orange pantone now?

I can't think of any other sports organization in North America - college or pro - to not have one consistent shade of their dominant colour (i.e. University of Michigan = Maze, Toronto Argonauts = Oxford blue etc.). BC Lions = whatever the hell shade of orange you want.

I think they got the home uniforms right with burnt orange, but I am not sure what colour the road unis are supposed to be. :juggle:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Why am I not surprised? sj-roc and I have long contended this is a rudderless organization when it comes to the QC of their brand. They've been allowing various shades of orange licensed apparel (often for the same item!) to appear on retail shelves for far too long, so why should they have one consistent orange pantone now?

I can't think of any other sports organization in North America - college or pro - to not have one consistent shade of their dominant colour (i.e. University of Michigan = Maze, Toronto Argonauts = Oxford blue etc.). BC Lions = whatever the hell shade of orange you want.

I think they got the home uniforms right with burnt orange, but I am not sure what colour the road unis are supposed to be. :juggle:

X2
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

I kind of like the new road uniforms, except that they'd look great on the Stampeders, whose current uniforms have too much black in them (black does not belong on the Stamps unis - or on the national hockey team, for that matter). Maybe make theirs less red and make the new Lions ones more red and then just swap them.

The helmets, OTOH, suck big time.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Greetings! I'm new here (so far as posting is concerned) however I've many times over the past couple years enjoyed following the often lively back and forth of the learned gentlemen of Lionbackers.com. It (the exchanges) can remind me at times of how the contests of our beloved game tend to go -- sometimes eloquently beautiful (like a long arcing pass-and-catch) sometimes low-down gritty and tug-a-war tough (like two 300 lb linemen dancing). Thanks for the entertainment. And thanks for the education -- the various knowledgable angles your many different (and often differing) voices offer up on any given topic.

Having chimed in here now, I'll stick my timid toe in the water with this initial post and vote. I love tradition (I was born the same year our Leos were born -- and have followed since age 10 -- as it happened around the time we won our first Cup), but I also get a bang out of change. So I had a mixed response (as I sense most of us did) at the whole package as presented. In the end, though the dust hasn't settled, I'm now leaning more toward 'thumbs up' and voted that way.

The one alarming thing for me, and I join the already loud chorus on this, is the different shade of orange for the 'away' uni. At first, me being a hobby picture-painter, I wondered if it was merely a trick of the eye, as I know that how a colour registers to the eye is in part dependant upon what colour it's adjacent to. Orange (for example) will look different in tone beside white than when beside black. But I've begun to worry along with many of you that there's more to it than a trick of the eye. I hope I'm wrong, and that once seen out on the gridiron, in the light of day or under the lights, they will somehow reveal themselves as the burnt orange we would have rightly expected.

You don't tinker with colour without consequences. We're all seeing that. All this, as WestCoast Joe might say, 'IMO'. Cheers! Training camp's a couple weeks away, and if the Lions find their roar again I guess I at least won't really care all that much anymore about aesthetics. But they'll really have to roar, and roar loudly, for lesser concerns to scatter.