Uniform Poll Question - Reebok or Adidas?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Now that you've seen the new uniforms, which would you choose?

A) Lose them! There was nothing wrong with the previous design, especially with the futuristic 3rd uniform (which we may never see again).
51%
B) Keep them! This is an attractive, slick, and futuristic design, and it's a way to reach out to younger fans.
49%

Total votes: 43
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:Greetings! I'm new here (so far as posting is concerned) however I've many times over the past couple years enjoyed following the often lively back and forth of the learned gentlemen of Lionbackers.com. It (the exchanges) can remind me at times of how the contests of our beloved game tend to go -- sometimes eloquently beautiful (like a long arcing pass-and-catch) sometimes low-down gritty and tug-a-war tough (like two 300 lb linemen dancing). Thanks for the entertainment. And thanks for the education -- the various knowledgable angles your many different (and often differing) voices offer up on any given topic.

Having chimed in here now, I'll stick my timid toe in the water with this initial post and vote. I love tradition (I was born the same year our Leos were born -- and have followed since age 10 -- as it happened around the time we won our first Cup), but I also get a bang out of change. So I had a mixed response (as I sense most of us did) at the whole package as presented. In the end, though the dust hasn't settled, I'm now leaning more toward 'thumbs up' and voted that way.

The one alarming thing for me, and I join the already loud chorus on this, is the different shade of orange for the 'away' uni. At first, me being a hobby picture-painter, I wondered if it was merely a trick of the eye, as I know that how a colour registers to the eye is in part dependant upon what colour it's adjacent to. Orange (for example) will look different in tone beside white than when beside black. But I've begun to worry along with many of you that there's more to it than a trick of the eye. I hope I'm wrong, and that once seen out on the gridiron, in the light of day or under the lights, they will somehow reveal themselves as the burnt orange we would have rightly expected.

You don't tinker with colour without consequences. We're all seeing that. All this, as WestCoast Joe might say, 'IMO'. Cheers! Training camp's a couple weeks away, and if the Lions find their roar again I guess I at least won't really care all that much anymore about aesthetics. But they'll really have to roar, and roar loudly, for lesser concerns to scatter.
Welcome. Keep on posting.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I thought out of all the jerseys offered of all the teams on the video unveiling , I thought the Lions looked the best, along with Calgary, and I sure wasn't voting for Calgary!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Maybe it's my eyes, but the road uniforms looks red to me.
I gonna keep thinking at first glance that I'm watching the Calgary Stampeders :puke:
dtrain
Starter

I'm betting that these new road uniforms don't last more than a season, maybe two, before they're updated (with more black detailing in them.)
Rocko604
Rookie

They should have taken the 70s retro jersey, switch the piping on the sleeves from white to black. That would have been purrfect.

I don't hate the new home jersey, just wish they outlined the numbers with white or silver. Straight black on orange doesn't look that great.

Love the black pants and helmet though. They should have done that years ago.

IMO they could have made a huge splash by making the gun metal jerseys are permanent home jerseys, with slight modifications (orange numbers for starters) but I guess that was too progressive at the time for our regressive management team.

The road jerseys are just garbage. Look like a combination of the Stampeders and Kansas City Chiefs.

EDIT: Really we edit p-e-r-f-e-c-t to purrfect? HA! I thought I unintentionally made a bad pun. :rotf:
Lionsfan65
Starter

As part of the younger demographic, I have to say I think they look pretty cool, better than just plain orange or plain white, the last uniforms were outdated, and frankly, a little boring. I do agree with previous posts though that the away looks more red than orange, but I will wait to judge until I see them on TV, in better light.
dtrain
Starter

One final comment from a hardcore uni-geek:
I was thrilled to see they finally got rid of the stupid 'yoke' style stitiching around the shoulders (that Reebok introduced in 2004).
It always made the fan versions look a bit odd, and most other CFL teams were smart to avoid this style.
These new jerseys have at least gone back to a more traditional stitch line along the chest and shoulders.

Like i said - hardcore ;)
Spud387
Champion

dtrain wrote:One final comment from a hardcore uni-geek:
I was thrilled to see they finally got rid of the stupid 'yoke' style stitiching around the shoulders (that Reebok introduced in 2004).
It always made the fan versions look a bit odd, and most other CFL teams were smart to avoid this style.
These new jerseys have at least gone back to a more traditional stitch line along the chest and shoulders.

Like i said - hardcore ;)
Except that the replica/fan jersey looks even more different now compared to the game jersey than the old design did...
dtrain
Starter

you have a point on those goofy sleeve stripes, it's because the player cut is so tight i guess.
still that yoke thing always really bugged me - good riddance!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

dtrain wrote:you have a point on those goofy sleeve stripes, it's because the player cut is so tight i guess.
That's because the cut of the player is quite a bit different than the average fan. :wink:

Also players wear shoulder pads under their jerseys which is going to make the stripe or numbers ride a lot higher on the shoulders than on a normal sized person. As for other differences the game jersey sleeves for players are not all the same. QBs typically have them cut similar to the fan replicas with normal sleeves that allow more freedom of movement for throwing. At the other end are lineman who typically have them cut shorter and have a band of elastic material further tightening the jersey to the upper bicep. In between it seems to be almost personal preference how a player wants his sleeves cut but most are similar to the OL. OL want the jersey to be as tight as possible over the shoulder pads and upper body because they want to make it as difficult as possible for a d-lineman to get a grasp on the jersey to get leverage on the OL. Others, especially backs and receivers probably like the short tight sleeve thinking the longer unbound sleeve might be something a would be tackler can get a hand on to make a tackle. I bought Olafioye's game jersey from last year. When I was home this weekend I put it on. My pipes in no way would be confused with JO's but nonetheless the sleeve ends still snugged around my upper biceps much differently than the replica I received from the team for my ST renewal. Definitely the game jersey doesn't fit as comfortably as the replica.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Indeed, eh? Thanks Hambone. A humorous and humbling reminder that the guys are a cut (several cuts) above any of us in this regard! But thanks for the thoroughly thought-through practical-minded consideration of the whys and wherefores concerning the jersey variables. A lot of common sense in that. Appreciate the trouble you took to explore it. A nice little education piece.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
dtrain wrote:you have a point on those goofy sleeve stripes, it's because the player cut is so tight i guess.
That's because the cut of the player is quite a bit different than the average fan. :wink:

.........Definitely the game jersey doesn't fit as comfortably as the replica.
I can certainly attest to that. I have a game worn Tyrone Williams jersey (remember how big Tyrone was /is? 6'4" and 300lbs!) and it is pretty darn close to snug. I am 6'1" and 80 lbs lighter than the big man. I picked up a Lumbala game worn from last year and Rolly sure likes to go as minimal as possible with the sleeves almost non-existent and really short length in the torso. It looks like spankx on me. :dizzy:
But I also have a team-owned jersey that I don't think was ever fitted for a player that is actually comfortable. I never could match the number to a player but it obviously is meant for a lineman based on size and number.

I wonder if Kato has to deal laundering all those stanky jerseys after a game or he has a minion to do that grunt work?
CardiacKid
Legend

dtrain wrote:I'm betting that these new road uniforms don't last more than a season, maybe two, before they're updated (with more black detailing in them.)
I wasn't overly thrilled with the away jersey but I managed to get an up close and personal look at one the other day. I am less critical of it now; the orange looks more "football-like" in real light and less creamsicle. The look of jersey fabric, stitching and other very small details when seen in their entirety with the naked eye, make it very apparent it is a jersey and not scrubs.
Faint praise I guess but praise nonetheless.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:I wasn't overly thrilled with the away jersey but I managed to get an up close and personal look at one the other day. I am less critical of it now; the orange looks more "football-like" in real light and less creamsicle. The look of jersey fabric, stitching and other very small details when seen in their entirety with the naked eye, make it very apparent it is a jersey and not scrubs.
Did you see it in a store? Was at Richmond Centre yesterday and Jersey City and Sportchek didn't not have any of the new jerseys. The only thing Jersey City had was the new draft hats and they were blowing out the old Reebok Lions merchadise for 70 percent off. Interesting enough the two customers that were in there at the same time were only interested in Lions stuff.

Maybe the league/Lions want to get an exclusive window for early sales but it would have been nice to see the Lions new jerseys prominently displayed in Jersey City's store front window. Instead it was the Toronto Raptors.
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:I wasn't overly thrilled with the away jersey but I managed to get an up close and personal look at one the other day. I am less critical of it now; the orange looks more "football-like" in real light and less creamsicle. The look of jersey fabric, stitching and other very small details when seen in their entirety with the naked eye, make it very apparent it is a jersey and not scrubs.
Did you see it in a store? Was at Richmond Centre yesterday and Jersey City and Sportchek didn't not have any of the new jerseys. The only thing Jersey City had was the new draft hats and they were blowing out the old Reebok Lions merchadise for 70 percent off. Interesting enough the two customers that were in there at the same time were only interested in Lions stuff.

Maybe the league/Lions want to get an exclusive window for early sales but it would have been nice to see the Lions new jerseys prominently displayed in Jersey City's store front window. Instead it was the Toronto Raptors.
I saw both the home and away jersey at a local Victoria outlet called Out of Bounds. They had a handful of the jerseys and some polo shirts but nothing in great numbers. They were sort of prominent; located at the front of the store but off to the side. I haven't been by Jersey City since the big reveal but did pick up a Lulay jersey during their 70% clearance.